LAMAR FOOTBALL: Practice report day 4

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/local/lamar_football__practice_report_day_4.html

Notable: Christian Louis has been moved from quarterback to defensive back, Lamar head coach Ray Woodard said after Monday's practice. Louis, a two-year varsity starting quarterback at West Brook, participated in the first week of spring practices as a quarterback. Louis, a 6-foot, 199 pound freshman, had been sharing snaps with three other quarterbacks.

"We thought he had a chance to get on the field (as a safety)," Woodard said. "He's a big kid that can run, a good athlete. I've had some success moving quarterbacks over there. They already know what to expect out of a quarterback. They can read the quarterback's eyes and do some things. I think it could be a good thing for him."

Remaining quarterbacks are Andre Bevil, who played at West Orange-Stark at for Woodard at Navarro College; Kevin Smith, a walk-on transfer from West Texas State; and Harrison Tatum, a freshman from Port Neches-Groves. Three high school quarterbacks are signed to join the team in the summer, but two of them are expected to play other positions.

Wait...practice started???  ???

No spring schedule on the Lamar athletic web site - http://www.lamarcardinals.com/sports/m-footbl/lama-m-footbl-body.html

In fact, the only stories are about signings and Todd Whitten. Spring practice must be just as important as last fall's practice...talk about momentum killing.

[quote name="TexasTerror" post="780885" timestamp="1269386953"]
Wait...practice started???  ???

No spring schedule on the Lamar athletic web site - http://www.lamarcardinals.com/sports/m-footbl/lama-m-footbl-body.html

In fact, the only stories are about signings and Todd Whitten. Spring practice must be just as important as last fall's practice...talk about momentum killing.
[/quote]It's all over the tv news.

[quote name="mffl" post="780891" timestamp="1269387524"]Yeah sorry we don't put everything on our site. J[b]ust about everybody in our AD went to Austin to watch the ladies play.[/b] [/quote]

Well, that's the excuse for the past few days, but what about ever?

I know you guys are new to football, but it is typical for most schools for spring football to...

a) Post a schedule of practices, scrimmages and the 'climax' (Red-White Game, whatever)
b) Post occasional updates of practice and if not that, at the very least the scrimmages

I really thought Lamar would be doing a release every few weeks this past fall of the happenings of fall practice. Never. Never any notice of any of the scrimmages, etc. The complete opposite of any other up-start in the country, even the non-scholarship ones.

You can say that it is in the local media, but as I said before - if I'm Joe Recruit and I am checking your school out, I am looking at the web site and not the newspaper. Having been part of the recruiting process for student-athletes, they or the parents compliment the web site and other information available at their fingertips (especially families outside of the region who would not be able to make as many games).

Just surprising...

[quote name="TexasTerror" post="780900" timestamp="1269388597"]
[quote author=mffl link=topic=67648.msg780891#msg780891 date=1269387524]Yeah sorry we don't put everything on our site. J[b]ust about everybody in our AD went to Austin to watch the ladies play.[/b] [/quote]

Well, that's the excuse for the past few days, but what about ever?

I know you guys are new to football, but it is typical for most schools for spring football to...

a) Post a schedule of practices, scrimmages and the 'climax' (Red-White Game, whatever)
b) Post occasional updates of practice and if not that, at the very least the scrimmages

I really thought Lamar would be doing a release every few weeks this past fall of the happenings of fall practice. Never. Never any notice of any of the scrimmages, etc. The complete opposite of any other up-start in the country, even the non-scholarship ones.

You can say that it is in the local media, but as I said before - if I'm Joe Recruit and I am checking your school out, I am looking at the web site and not the newspaper. Having been part of the recruiting process for student-athletes, they or the parents compliment the web site and other information available at their fingertips (especially families outside of the region who would not be able to make as many games).

Just surprising...
[/quote]cluck cluck cluck nag nag nag.... go get me a beer...

Why Terror cares so much about Lamar, I don't know. He irritates me just as much as he does ya'll and I hate to have to admit it but he has a great point. I love Lamar and graduated from there. I am really excited about football starting. I will try to make some games if possible (I am a high school coach so not always easy to get off on Saturdays). I no longer live in the area and it is really hard to get any information on what is going on there. I don't even try to look on their website anymore. There is rarely anything new on it. I look at the camera to see the field. It would be awesome to see information on how the building is coming along. What are they doing? What is next? When PNG was building their stadium, there was more info than Lamar has. I am sure that there is coverage on local stations about how things are going but if you don't live in the Golden Triangle it is HARD to get any info. I wish they would post photos of practice or maybe a few videos. I think it is great IF they are pushing it in the GT but like Terror said (I hate admitting he is right) there needs to be more info for people outside the area. I would love for them to recruit and get all the best players in southeast Texas but if you want to win you need the best from all over. The internet is a great way to get info about yourself out and to attract talent to your school. I am in Houston area and most of our kids have never heard of Lamar or don't even know the have a team. We STILL dont even know what the stadium is going to look like. To me that is crazy. I wish a student with alot of time on their hands and a great knowledge of technology sould start a website about Lamar football and maybe get us more info.

I do appreciate the people on this site that give info. It is about the only place to get any.

Guest coachacola
I think it's a matter of resources and making it a priority.  Seems like they could easily get student volunteers to help out with that.

"Making it a priority" is my point exactly. I wish they knew how important it was.  If I was a kid getting recruitted by Lamar, how would I know anything about Lamar. I think some great things are happening at Lamar but it is not known ouside of the GT.

Anybody have a list of players participating in spring practice or a depth chart.

Lamar has plenty of resources, including more than several schools that have already had football and a more challenging team sport slate to manage (notably those with fewer hands on deck and softball in place).

It's not as difficult as it would seem, so the excuses do not measure up. Thanks to former caveman for expressing his support and knowledge...

It should be a priority and it is important from a visual perspective for those from outside the Golden Triangle. If Lamar wants 63 scholarships all going to GT players, they will end up where they were during their last stay in the SLC - the cellar. More and more schools are recruiting Texas. It's time to extend your wings and make a run at guys elsewhere.

Just ask UNLV about his real beloved program, our HoopInsider about his or AggiesAreWe about his. Plenty of news from the official sources...

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder