Final TABC Poll!

ST413

I know many of you would expect me to comment on the Tigers ranking but that is not what I made this topic about.  I made this because I feel the poll really did an injustice to Spurger.  I know the argument would be that they got beat badly by Cayuga and some of the other teams ranked above them didn't. However,  the Pirates made it to Austin so they were one of the final four teams. They lost to the team that won state.  In my book they deserve to be ranked higher than ninth.  I would have to put them in the top 4 because they earned their spot in Austin and beat the number  2 team in the state.  Congratulations Pirates on a great year and congratulations to all our ranked area teams!!  Good luck next year!!

[quote name="ST413" post="778254" timestamp="1268872266"]
  I know many of you would expect me to comment on the Tigers ranking but that is not what I made this topic about.  I made this because I feel the poll really did an injustice to Spurger.  I know the argument would be that they got beat badly by Cayuga and some of the other teams ranked above them didn't. However,  the Pirates made it to Austin so they were one of the final four teams. They lost to the team that won state.  In my book they deserve to be ranked higher than ninth.  I would have to put them in the top 4 because they earned their spot in Austin and beat the number  2 team in the state.  Congratulations Pirates on a great year and congratulations to all our ranked area teams!!  Good luck next year!!
[/quote]I agree i think Spurger should have been higher just for the fact That the pirates was in the final four.
I also think that alot of the things TABC puts out is a joke,So doesnt make much difference here ;)
Thanks ST413

I got a few thoughts on this topic.  First of all, i think just because you make it to Austin in the final 4, doesnt guarantee you a spot in the top 4 or 5 on the final poll.  Some teams come out of weak regions where they may not make out 2 rounds in another region.  Leggett in 1A-II region 4 is a great example.  They made it to the state tournament and lost to Kennard in the regular season.  Kennard was the THIRD PLACE team 24-1A-II, which is region 3 though.  I promise Leggett couldnt make it 2 rounds in region 3, and they have no business being in the top 10 or maybe 15 in the TABC poll, but finished 4th for making it to state (Laneville at #6 beat them by 8 pts on a neutral court).  Now in Spurgers case, they beat the #2 team in state at the time to get to state, so i agree they should be higher.  In the teams ranked ahead of them, i saw Cayuga, Bronte, Gruver, Tenaha, and Martins Mill play at least once.  I think Spurger shouldve been possibly ranked ahead of Gruver or Tenaha, but not Bronte or Martins Mill.  Bronte for obvious reasons, and Martins Mill gave Cayuga a heck of a game in the regional finals, it was within 10 points until some point in the 4th quarter.  I think Martins Mill wouldve done pretty well at state also.  I cant speak for those other 3 teams, but they better have made the regional finals at least.  I probably wouldve put Spurger at least in the top 6 or 7 though.  I agree about the TABC poll being a joke in some cases.  They rank teams that i know have no business being in there and leave teams out that are more than deserving.

[quote name="beeninnikes" post="778389" timestamp="1268881753"]
I got a few thoughts on this topic.  First of all, i think just because you make it to Austin in the final 4, doesnt guarantee you a spot in the top 4 or 5 on the final poll.  Some teams come out of weak regions where they may not make out 2 rounds in another region.  Leggett in 1A-II region 4 is a great example.  They made it to the state tournament and lost to Kennard in the regular season.  Kennard was the THIRD PLACE team 24-1A-II, which is region 3 though.  I promise Leggett couldnt make it 2 rounds in region 3, and they have no business being in the top 10 or maybe 15 in the TABC poll, but finished 4th for making it to state (Laneville at #6 beat them by 8 pts on a neutral court).  Now in Spurgers case, they beat the #2 team in state at the time to get to state, so i agree they should be higher.  In the teams ranked ahead of them, i saw Cayuga, Bronte, Gruver, Tenaha, and Martins Mill play at least once.  I think Spurger shouldve been possibly ranked ahead of Gruver or Tenaha, but not Bronte or Martins Mill.  Bronte for obvious reasons, and Martins Mill gave Cayuga a heck of a game in the regional finals, it was within 10 points until some point in the 4th quarter.  I think Martins Mill wouldve done pretty well at state also.  I cant speak for those other 3 teams, but they better have made the regional finals at least.  I probably wouldve put Spurger at least in the top 6 or 7 though.  I agree about the TABC poll being a joke in some cases.  They rank teams that i know have no business being in there and leave teams out that are more than deserving.
[/quote]

I  can agree with that.

Looking at the polls, Spurger was the only team that didn't finish in the top 4 of all the teams that made it to state, all classifications.

They don't even finish top 8?? Something is amiss here. Spurger should have been at least #4, just like every other team was that made the state tourney.

24-1A-II had Slocum, Laneville, and Kennard at 3, 6, and 21.  Neches beat Laneville in their district also, they came in 4th.  I would go as far to say that district 24 was the best district in 1A-II.  Outside of region 3 or east Texas, thats the only other district i can think of.  There may be more on there but i dont know.

[quote name="ST413" post="778433" timestamp="1268883564"]
[quote author=beeninnikes link=topic=67456.msg778389#msg778389 date=1268881753]
[/quote]

I  can agree with that.
[/quote]Well I must look at wrong then. You play and beat who they put infront of you,you earn your way to the state semi's.You cant help the fact that some of the so call better teams are in a different region,they didnt make to the semi's.Spurger was one of the last 4 teams standing
and should have been awarded so.

If we want to go to "would have & could have's" I think you would have seen a different team all together If it was not played at UT.
Im not saying Spurger would have beat Yuga so lets dont get any of that started.Yuga is a beast and is the state champions.But the last time
Spurger shot below 30% from the feild they where beaten by kirbyville by 1.A few of the guys was alittle wide eyed from the whole process.

That been said, IFs ANDs COULD WOULD, none of that makes a dam. Cayuga #1, Bronte #2, and Spurger and Gruver earned 3rd and 4th spot.

The Final Poll of the year should be the only poll that is a no brainer.

#1 State Champion
#2 Runner Up
3 & 4 The two semi finalists
5-8 The regional Runner Ups
9-16 The reginal semi finalists
17-20 Well these could be debated

We say it on threads all the time that its on the court or the field that matters. Teams can't pick and choose their district, area, or region that they play in so the arguement that a team comes from a weak one is just that "WEAK". If a team is eliminated then they are eliminated and that is that.

1-16 earned their spot in the rankings by defeating the teams they had to to advance.

So I say that the Pirates should have been ranked at 3 or 4 and nothing lower!

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="778545" timestamp="1268921766"]
23-5A has three in the final poll:

1. FB Bush
15. FB Travis
16. FB Elkins

11-4A has three:

5. Dallas Pinkston
8. Dallas Kimball
11. Dallas Lincoln

3-2A has three:

3. Idalou
15. Littlefield