Anti-Yates/Pro Coach Isaacs and Coach Bruce

[quote name="RP3" post="778802" timestamp="1268962031"]
It just kills me how critical some people can be of a two time state champion.... ::) ::)....Half court game? ST413, THEY DID NOT NEED ONE THIS SEASON! 34-0....What more can they do? If it were Hardin Jefferson, people on here would be talking about the "magnificent" job that the coach is doing and the pure domination..... ::) ::) ::)...I guarantee there would be no "Anti-HJ" threads....Coach Wise taught discipline and tenacity on DEFENSE...And it showed...34-0.  68-1 over the last two years...If they can't play half ct., I feel for the teams that can, because obviously something over there is working....well!

[/quote]

If HJ or even my Tigers were humiliating teams like that I would have the same stance against them.  Amd no they didn't need it this year, but those kids who are going to get the privilege to play at the next level do need it.  It would be a great step forward for them to feel comfortable in a half court set going into college.  Like I said in my last post do what you know how to do until the game is well in hand then work on things to make yourself better.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="RP3" post="778817" timestamp="1268963034"]
[quote author=ST413 link=topic=67437.msg778807#msg778807 date=1268962413]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=67437.msg778793#msg778793 date=1268960843]
Funny, critics for Wheatley would say the same thing. They thought all they did was run up and down the court with no half court game. You can't argue with a successful system.
[/quote]

I didn't see any Wheatly scores where they beat their opponent by the margins Yates did either.  This isn't about their system.  Run your system to win but when the game is out of hand, instead of continuing the same thing and humiliating your opponent use that time to work on area's of your game that may not be as good as they could be.  Use those times for your benefit.   I saw games this year that we had a good lead that wasn't out of hand where Travis switche to a spread offense.  Some of these times weren't to keep from embarrassing the opponent because the games weren't that lopsided.  Instead he was working on another aspect that he wanted the team to be better at.  Wise could have done the same thing with the huge leads.  It can be said he wanted to run his team, keep them in shape, etc but all of that can be accomplished in practice.  
[/quote]
YOU HAVE to understand that this season in Class 4A, there were some REALLY BAD TEAMS out there....I mean TERRIBLE...It has never been this bad before and this Yates team just happened to come along at a time when it was a down, down year in 4A....No fault of theirs, it was just who was in front of them.

[quote author=ST413 link=topic=67437.msg778815#msg778815 date=1268962669]
[quote author=RP3 link=topic=67437.msg778802#msg778802 date=1268962031]
It just kills me how critical some people can be of a two time state champion.... ::) ::)....Half court game? ST413, THEY DID NOT NEED ONE THIS SEASON! 34-0....What more can they do? If it were Hardin Jefferson, people on here would be talking about the "magnificent" job that the coach is doing and the pure domination..... ::) ::) ::)...I guarantee there would be no "Anti-HJ" threads....Coach Wise taught discipline and tenacity on DEFENSE...And it showed...34-0.  68-1 over the last two years...If they can't play half ct., I feel for the teams that can, because obviously something over there is working....well!

[/quote]

If HJ or even my Tigers were humiliating teams like that I would have the same stance against them.  Amd no they didn't need it this year, but those kids who are going to get the privilege to play at the next level do need it.  It would be a great step forward for them to feel comfortable in a half court set going into college.  Like I said in my last post do what you know how to do until the game is well in hand then work on things to make yourself better.
[/quote]

Trust me, Western Kentucky, Providence, and SFA cannot WAIT to get their hands on their signees!! I GUARANTEE that! They will be just fine... ;)
[/quote]

I am sure they will be just fine but the point is they could be even BETTER.

[quote name="RP3" post="778817" timestamp="1268963034"]
[quote author=ST413 link=topic=67437.msg778807#msg778807 date=1268962413]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=67437.msg778793#msg778793 date=1268960843]
Funny, critics for Wheatley would say the same thing. They thought all they did was run up and down the court with no half court game. You can't argue with a successful system.
[/quote]

I didn't see any Wheatly scores where they beat their opponent by the margins Yates did either.  This isn't about their system.  Run your system to win but when the game is out of hand, instead of continuing the same thing and humiliating your opponent use that time to work on area's of your game that may not be as good as they could be.  Use those times for your benefit.   I saw games this year that we had a good lead that wasn't out of hand where Travis switche to a spread offense.  Some of these times weren't to keep from embarrassing the opponent because the games weren't that lopsided.  Instead he was working on another aspect that he wanted the team to be better at.  Wise could have done the same thing with the huge leads.  It can be said he wanted to run his team, keep them in shape, etc but all of that can be accomplished in practice.  
[/quote]
YOU HAVE to understand that this season in Class 4A, there were some REALLY BAD TEAMS out there....I mean TERRIBLE...It has never been this bad before and this Yates team just happened to come along at a time when it was a down, down year in 4A....No fault of theirs, it was just who was in front of them.

[quote author=ST413 link=topic=67437.msg778815#msg778815 date=1268962669]
[quote author=RP3 link=topic=67437.msg778802#msg778802 date=1268962031]
It just kills me how critical some people can be of a two time state champion.... ::) ::)....Half court game? ST413, THEY DID NOT NEED ONE THIS SEASON! 34-0....What more can they do? If it were Hardin Jefferson, people on here would be talking about the "magnificent" job that the coach is doing and the pure domination..... ::) ::) ::)...I guarantee there would be no "Anti-HJ" threads....Coach Wise taught discipline and tenacity on DEFENSE...And it showed...34-0.  68-1 over the last two years...If they can't play half ct., I feel for the teams that can, because obviously something over there is working....well!

[/quote]

If HJ or even my Tigers were humiliating teams like that I would have the same stance against them.  Amd no they didn't need it this year, but those kids who are going to get the privilege to play at the next level do need it.  It would be a great step forward for them to feel comfortable in a half court set going into college.  Like I said in my last post do what you know how to do until the game is well in hand then work on things to make yourself better.
[/quote]

Trust me, Western Kentucky, Providence, and SFA cannot WAIT to get their hands on their signees!! I GUARANTEE that! They will be just fine... ;)
[/quote]

I can guarantee,  I have seen both with chances to humiliate opponent and both ease off and both have led their teams deep int the playoffs. How many state championships does Wise have compared to Sutherland?

Guest bleed orange
You guys are missing the point. Pure basketball is no more. Team work is out the window. It is all about individual play. I have not watched a single professional game this year and never will. It is a joke. Now if the Yates coach used his subs and still ran up the score than so be it, kids who don't start want to prove they can play. But if he left his starters in then I say the coach is pathetic. We as a society are not teaching our kids the right thing. Sad is all I can say. I am glad that Yates won but not at the expense of the sport. Things have gotten out of control. I don't see it getting any better. Sad world we live in. The work force is no different. No loyality anymore. Everyone is about "ME" instead of "WE". Coach Bruce is one of the good guys.

Guest bleed orange
What is the true legacy of a high school coach?  I had the honor of being coached by a man in high school that taught us about life in the real world. Yes, we won but that is not his legacy to us that played for him. We remember the life lesson's that he taught us. Reaching goals through hard work and determination. If coach Wise is the same way then I commend him.  Parents should teach you that but not everyone has the luxury of good parents. For 17 years we have raised money for scholarships at our local high school in honor of our coach. We give $6,000.00 to a boy and girl. $12,000.00 total. Coach Ed Peveto made a difference in our lives and we will never forget. Wins are not the legacy of a coach at the high school level in my opinion. It is making boys into men.

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="RP3" post="778877" timestamp="1268968281"]
What makes you guys think that Coach Wise has NOT done that? Those kids have SO MUCH respect and admiration for Coach Wise...He has definitely made a lifelong impact on their lives....Just ask those people who actually know him, and they will tell you the same.
[/quote]

Never said he did not. Just asked the question if he did. If he did then someday maybe his players will honor him like we did our coach. Only time will tell.

Guest speechless
Long as Wise got his house busness on the side yates will b good

of all them players 6 of them transferred after they 9th grade year

he had an aau all star team

we all no it

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="football" post="779062" timestamp="1269014025"]
Coach Peveto was a great coach.  But I am not sure you want to bring him up in this topic!  Didn't he beat Kountze 99 - 0 in football?
[/quote]

That was not his fault. He had all subs in the second half. You can not tell kids who don't get to play that much to roll over. Kountze just flat out quit that night. I know I played on that team. We ran mainly QB sneaks the whole second half. It is hard to run 80 yards every time on a QB sneak. One of Kountzes player took his pads off in the middle of the field and walked off. Not much you can do about that.

[quote name="speechless" post="779023" timestamp="1269009517"]
Long as Wise got his house busness on the side yates will b good

of all them players 6 of them transferred after they 9th grade year

he had an aau all star team

we all no it
[/quote]thats how Wise recruits his players. One player (6'5")just left a highly sponsored AAU team to play with Wise this summer. Guess what high school he's attending in the Fall?

This is a very touchy topic.  But how many teams out there can say that they are as talented as Yates? I played at Oak Hill Academy with Ron Mercer back in the mid 90s and we blew teams away as well (yes even some by a 100). Coach Smith sat us down and told our bench to go in and work on our system. Hey they scored just as much, and that wasnt our fault! Yates played all of its players and those bench guys came in and were just as good, that isnt their fault. We were taught to play the game, and coach wise teaches his players to play the game. Yates has a lot of talent and their system happens to be a very helter skelter type system. That system is embedded in those players and thats all they know so starters and bench players both play with that same intensity.  Come on now guys what do you want them to do, throw the ball out of bounds every play?  Sure coach wise isnt our so called "good guy" but honestly the kids who hav played for him are very talented players who hav went on to further there careers in college, and isnt that what it is all about? There is alot of a**hole coaches out there with good programs, we dont have to like them but hey we cant hate on success! :)

[quote name="Ice Cold Alpha" post="780078" timestamp="1269226108"]
This is a very touchy topic.  But how many teams out there can say that they are as talented as Yates? I played at Oak Hill Academy with Ron Mercer back in the mid 90s and we blew teams away as well (yes even some by a 100). Coach Smith sat us down and told our bench to go in and work on our system. Hey they scored just as much, and that wasnt our fault! Yates played all of its players and those bench guys came in and were just as good, that isnt their fault. We were taught to play the game, and coach wise teaches his players to play the game. Yates has a lot of talent and their system happens to be a very helter skelter type system. That system is embedded in those players and thats all they know so starters and bench players both play with that same intensity.  Come on now guys what do you want them to do, throw the ball out of bounds every play?  Sure coach wise isnt our so called "good guy" but honestly the kids who hav played for him are very talented players who hav went on to further there careers in college, and isnt that what it is all about? There is alot of a**hole coaches out there with good programs, we dont have to like them but hey we cant hate on success! :)
[/quote]I'll excuse you for being the "A" word ;) But the [color=blue][font=Verdana]Bluedove[/font][/color] gotta agree with you 100%.

Guest speechless
Dove, I would give anything for it to be 1991 right now with hj averaging over 100 per game.  I willbet you would be "singing a different tune"

As for Yates running a half-court set, 80 percent of their team is 6'2" or shorter so runnning a fast break offense suits them very well. Those players are being taught defense more than anything. How many players do you know in colleges that get scholarships for playing defense. Just like in every other sports offense gets the glory but defense wins championships. I'm sure John Wall or J'Covan Brown got their scholarships by playing defense. If you look at college have been watching the tournament or college basketball period the 3pt shot itself has become an offense all to itself. So to say the Yates players are going to be handicap by not knowing the fundamentals is absurb with the way they pla defense. In college basketball today, 70 percent of defense is man to man and 50 percent of offense is the 3 point shot.

[quote name="speechless" post="780180" timestamp="1269270150"]
Dove, I would give anything for it to be 1991 right now with hj averaging over 100 per game.  I willbet you would be "singing a different tune"
[/quote]100 PER GAME? Thats really a small crowd to attend such a winning tradition, as HJ have ;)

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="780258" timestamp="1269278390"]
[quote author=speechless link=topic=67437.msg780180#msg780180 date=1269270150]
[/quote]100 PER GAME? Thats really a small crowd to attend such a winning tradition, as HJ have ;)
[/quote]

Excellent avoidance of the point.  You must be a liberal.

Actually internet coaches, its not what its all about....If kids are good enough they will move on to play at D1 schools, regardless where they play H.S. basketball..If this coach is recruiting in the public school system, its wrong..period. How about win the right way like the other coaches try to do it..I would much more respect the Yates team this past year if they would all have been in the Yates feeder programs in middle school..AAU teams play in the spring and summer. ..This is a disgrace and if you cant understand the morals and values of that , then Im realy sorry that you just dont get it ....By the way, Daddies , most kids dont play at the next level, in any sport, you may get that now or it may take you a while, but there are many more life lessons to H.S. Basketball than putting together the best group of AAU kids and breaking scoring records. Who do you think really thinks they will benefit from that the most THE COACH..He thinks it makes him look like he can coach..See it every summer....Wow, it amazes me where our society is headed, and pitiful!!!

[quote name="team first" post="780283" timestamp="1269282976"]
Actually internet coaches, its not what its all about....If kids are good enough they will move on to play at D1 schools, regardless where they play H.S. basketball..If this coach is recruiting in the public school system, its wrong..period. How about win the right way like the other coaches try to do it..I would much more respect the Yates team this past year if they would all have been in the Yates feeder programs in middle school..AAU teams play in the spring and summer. ..This is a disgrace and if you cant understand the morals and values of that , then Im realy sorry that you just dont get it ....By the way, Daddies , most kids dont play at the next level, in any sport, you may get that now or it may take you a while, but there are many more life lessons to H.S. Basketball than putting together the best group of AAU kids and breaking scoring records. Who do you think really thinks they will benefit from that the most THE COACH..He thinks it makes him look like he can coach..See it every summer....Wow, it amazes me where our society is headed, and pitiful!!!
[/quote]Sir, EVERY kid on that team could get a scholarship as long as they are willing to work hard in the classroom. Thats one of the advantages of being on a tournament team. I've seen far less talent get scholarships. Look at HJ the past few years. :o

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="780354" timestamp="1269290965"]
[quote author=team first link=topic=67437.msg780283#msg780283 date=1269282976]
[/quote]Sir, EVERY kid on that team could get a scholarship as long as they are willing to work hard in the classroom. Thats one of the advantages of being on a tournament team. I've seen far less talent get scholarships. Look at HJ the past few years. :o
[/quote]  The word "talent" is a relative term.

[quote name="stevenash" post="780357" timestamp="1269291180"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=67437.msg780354#msg780354 date=1269290965]
[quote author=team first link=topic=67437.msg780283#msg780283 date=1269282976]
[/quote]  The word "talent" is a relative term.
[/quote]In your world maybe! I saw an Ozen team this past weekend who may have thought they were talented. Hmm? Hopefully not too many Ozen people on here :D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder