District 18 4a

Elroy

It is a pretty weak district overall...which is really disappointing for me.

I would of much rather made the drive to Crosby and Dayton, then Huntsville and Willis...

I have it finishing out like this.

1. Humble
2. Huntsville
3. Kingwood Park
4. Willis
5. Summer Creek
6. Caney Creek
7. New Caney
8. Porter

I have got to tell you...i am not liking this district.   This is pretty much a run through of the worst kind.   On top of it all, Humble was unable to schedule a decent Non-District game.

I am hearing...now this is through word of mouth and its been telephoned a couple times...Humble's Non-District: Not yet filled, Baytown Sterling, Pas. Dobie...

Huntsville and Baytown Sterling are our strongest games on the schedule....yuck.

[quote name="dayton" post="753618" timestamp="1265119667"]
echo that HUM398

Not a good district at all football wise!
[/quote]

It is the worst possible scenario for Humble....

Humble hasn't been in a district his bad in 20 years...

New Caney and Porter are virtual cake walks...New Caney has been bad, and with a split...i expect worse.

I know Huntsville as been decent, but after that...it's slim pickings.

[quote name="HUM398" post="753617" timestamp="1265119556"]
I am hearing...now this is through word of mouth and its been telephoned a couple times...Humble's Non-District: Not yet filled, Baytown Sterling, Pas. Dobie...

Huntsville and Baytown Sterling are our strongest games on the schedule....yuck.
[/quote]

Yuck! to add to the horror, 2 terrible teams in non- district.

[quote name="Leftover Cheese" post="754012" timestamp="1265142973"]
[quote author=HUM398 link=topic=65497.msg753617#msg753617 date=1265119556]

[/quote]

Yuck! to add to the horror, 2 terrible teams in non- district.
[/quote]

The one thing i have always disliked about the Beasley era is the lack of quality Non-District games....This pat season was mere luck that we scheduled a 5 round deep Playoff team..
We've had a ok to good non-district under Beasley....but never a TOUGH one...

I was hoping we'd schedule Aldine MacArthur, Angleton, and Westbrook.

I'm always for a cup-cake at first, and then on to a much tougher challenge.

SOS is definitely not there....

[quote name="playa" post="754456" timestamp="1265210979"]
Humble and Hunstville will do good.  Porter will not lose to NC or Caney Creek!  Summer Creeks and KP's squads weren't that strong last year. And you never know what team you will get with Willis.
[/quote]

Summer Creek wasn't very strong at all.  ;)

[quote name="HUM398" post="753617" timestamp="1265119556"]

I would of much rather made the drive to Crosby and Dayton, then Huntsville and Willis...

1. Humble
2. Huntsville
3. Kingwood Park
4. Willis
5. Summer Creek
6. Caney Creek
7. New Caney
8. Porter

I have got to tell you...i am not liking this district.   This is pretty much a run through of the worst kind.   On top of it all, Humble was unable to schedule a decent Non-District game.

Huntsville and [b]Baytown Sterling are our strongest games on the schedule[/b]....yuck.
[/quote]

How could Baytown Sterling be one of your strongest games??? New Caney beat them this year and I think the New Caney sophmore team destroyed Sterling.  I think porter will finish above Summer Creek.

[quote name="Cowboy09" post="755081" timestamp="1265302537"]

1. Humble
2. Huntsville
3. Kingwood Park
4. Willis
5. Summer Creek
6. Caney Creek
7. New Caney
8. Porter

Huntsville and [b]Baytown Sterling are our strongest games on the schedule[/b]....yuck.
[/quote]

How could Baytown Sterling be one of your strongest games??? New Caney beat them this year and I think the New Caney sophmore team destroyed Sterling.  I think porter will finish above Summer Creek.
[/quote]

that's his point.... their schedule is weak.... that's why he said yuck.

1. Humble
2. Huntsville
3. Kingwood Park
4. Willis
5. Summer Creek
6. Caney Creek
7. New Caney
8. Porter

[/quote]

[/quote]

I agree! 

1. Humble
2. Huntsville
3. Kingwood Park
4. Willis
5. Summer Creek
6. Caney Creek
7. New Caney
8. Porter

[/quote]

[/quote]

The day a New Caney ISD football Product beats a Humble ISD product in their first year i will give you 50 bucks.

Summer Creek has a much better coaching staff and talent then Porter....

[quote name="HUM398" post="755314" timestamp="1265330150"]
[quote author=Cowboy09 link=topic=65497.msg755081#msg755081 date=1265302537]

1. Humble
2. Huntsville
3. Kingwood Park
4. Willis
5. Summer Creek
6. Caney Creek
7. New Caney
8. Porter

[/quote]

[/quote]

The day a New Caney ISD football Product beats a Humble ISD product in their first year i will give you 50 bucks.

[/quote]

How do you know that the coaching staff at Summer Creek is better than the staff at Porter?  Porter's staff hasn't been formed.

How do you know that the talent is better at Summer Creek than Porter?  Has anyone seen the Porter football team?

[quote name="str8running" post="755403" timestamp="1265346027"]
[quote author=HUM398 link=topic=65497.msg755314#msg755314 date=1265330150]

1. Humble
2. Huntsville
3. Kingwood Park
4. Willis
5. Summer Creek
6. Caney Creek
7. New Caney
8. Porter

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

How do you know that the coaching staff at Summer Creek is better than the staff at Porter?  Porter's staff hasn't been formed.

How do you know that the talent is better at Summer Creek than Porter?  Has anyone seen the Porter football team?
[/quote]

The Talent pool at Summer Creek was formed from Humble and Atascocita HS....Porters was derived from New Caney...

Humble and Atascocita talent pool is better then New Caney....i can only follow the line of logic.

Porter doesn't draw from some magical neighborhood unrealized by New Caney...its the same kids, just sent to different schools.

The Summer Creek Coaching staff has a resume to boast...The Head Coach was the offensive Coordinator for North Shore for nearly 10 years...Won COUNTLESS games, and a state championship.  He has very good assistants.

Porter has a brand new coaching staff that hasn't even been formulated.....SCHS already has a year of bonding with their kids.

New Caney has played some horrible football for the better part of 50 years, why would i expect anything differently from porter?

Really no one knows what either team will do at the Varsity Level.  It will be a first for both.  NC has had some play off teams in the past and the sophomore team (that went 8-2 beating the woodlands and others) is mostly going to Porter.  Porter may not be good, but they might.  But you cant say that Summer Creek will be good just b/c they pull from those two schools.  Look at Aldine Mcarthur. 

[quote name="HUM398" post="755418" timestamp="1265349027"]
[quote author=str8running link=topic=65497.msg755403#msg755403 date=1265346027]

1. Humble
2. Huntsville
3. Kingwood Park
4. Willis
5. Summer Creek
6. Caney Creek
7. New Caney
8. Porter

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The Talent pool at Summer Creek was formed from Humble and Atascocita HS....Porters was derived from New Caney...

Humble and Atascocita talent pool is better then New Caney....i can only follow the line of logic.

Porter doesn't draw from some magical neighborhood unrealized by New Caney...its the same kids, just sent to different schools.

The Summer Creek Coaching staff has a resume to boast...The Head Coach was the offensive Coordinator for North Shore for nearly 10 years...Won COUNTLESS games, and a state championship.  He has very good assistants.

Porter has a brand new coaching staff that hasn't even been formulated.....SCHS already has a year of bonding with their kids.

New Caney has played some horrible football for the better part of 50 years, why would i expect anything differently from porter?
[/quote]

I agree that Coach Ford has a solid resume.  Who wouldn't win a ton of games with the athletes at North Shore? 

I know that Summer Creek split from humble and Atascocita, but what neighborhoods did it take?  Not every neighborhood in those attendance zones is loaded with athletes.  Could it be that Summer Creek might have pulled neighborhoods that are a few years from producing lots of high school talent?

As far as the staffs go, having a year to "bond" doesn't necessarily make a staff good.  I've seen poor staffs have lots of time with kids, but never produce on the field.

How does one quantify the quality of a staff? 

Heaven forbid that the New Caney area would change over the past few years.  It would be terrible if they had a recent growth spurt, jumped to 5A, and decided to build a second high school.  No New Caney hasn't had much success in the past few years, how would Humble and Atascocita have faired in that 5A district?  Oh yeah, we are all about to find out about Atascocita.

Go Spartans.  Go Eagles.  I'll pull for these underdogs!

[quote name="playa" post="755483" timestamp="1265382084"]
Really no one knows what either team will do at the Varsity Level.  It will be a first for both.  NC has had some play off teams in the past and the sophomore team (that went 8-2 beating the woodlands and others) is mostly going to Porter.  Porter may not be good, but they might.  But you cant say that Summer Creek will be good just b/c they pull from those two schools.  Look at Aldine Mcarthur. 
[/quote]

New Caney has had some playoff teams in the past...i think 10 since 1936...Humble's had 14 playoff teams in the last 17 years, and Atascocita has had 2 in the last 6.  New Caney at one point in time was regarded as the worst football program in Texas..i this it was 40 something odd games you lost in a row......thank God Davis HS was able to abolish that streak with 80+....as well as Sam Houston High.

Lets look at Aldine MacArthur...Their talent doesn't even mimic either Humble or Atascocita's talent pools....in fact, they don't even mimic the rest of their own district.  It's a school with almost 90% hispanic students, while the 3 Southern HISD high schools are all very diverse.  Hispanics generally don't come out to play football, hence their 3a like participation numbers...they had 26 varsity players last year, and at seasons end they merged the JV and varsity to form a full squad.

Ill tell you this much, they are a very fiesty bunch, and they have some talent on those teams...But they really aren't very good.

[quote name="str8running" post="755636" timestamp="1265394915"]
[quote author=HUM398 link=topic=65497.msg755418#msg755418 date=1265349027]
[quote author=str8running link=topic=65497.msg755403#msg755403 date=1265346027]

1. Humble
2. Huntsville
3. Kingwood Park
4. Willis
5. Summer Creek
6. Caney Creek
7. New Caney
8. Porter

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I agree that Coach Ford has a solid resume.  Who wouldn't win a ton of games with the athletes at North Shore? 

I know that Summer Creek split from humble and Atascocita, but what neighborhoods did it take?  Not every neighborhood in those attendance zones is loaded with athletes.  Could it be that Summer Creek might have pulled neighborhoods that are a few years from producing lots of high school talent?

As far as the staffs go, having a year to "bond" doesn't necessarily make a staff good.  I've seen poor staffs have lots of time with kids, but never produce on the field.

How does one quantify the quality of a staff? 

Heaven forbid that the New Caney area would change over the past few years.  It would be terrible if they had a recent growth spurt, jumped to 5A, and decided to build a second high school.  No New Caney hasn't had much success in the past few years, how would Humble and Atascocita have faired in that 5A district?  Oh yeah, we are all about to find out about Atascocita.

Go Spartans.  Go Eagles.  I'll pull for these underdogs!
[/quote]

Did you watch the North Shore Mustangs prior to 1996?...They have always had talent, but they were a whipping boy in the early 90's...Humble beat them three consecutive years i think to a total combined score of 145-0...They were pretty bad...

As far as the neighborhoods that SCHS took, they took some good ones from Atascocita, and 1 or 2 from Humble...They did draw a largely Hispanic population from Humble, but they got two really good football neighborhoods in the process.

The "bonding" helps the coaching staff get to know the talent, and how it can be used.  One thing that Summer Creek has that neither NC or Porter has is athletic kids...They have the athletes and coaching to win 2-3 games in their first varsity year...that being said, they are undersized.

as far as New Caney goes, i have been watching football in that area for 8 years now...the area hasn't really changed.  it will in a couple of years, and perhaps then they will be able to produce better teams...with that Theme park moving in, it is going to draw a lot of development....which is great for New Caney...it will be an area similar to The Woodlands....But Porter, well...its always going to be Porter.

Im not really sure why they split New Caney...it really was quite early to do so.  New Caney only had 2200 kids last year....Each school will have around 1100 kids....it was tough to find athletes to play on NC eagles sqaud as is....

D. Towers was great for yall, but he was a former Atascocita Eagle.  Chad Jackson never developed into anything, he was slow and had poor vision.  The Dunlaps were pretty good...The younger one isn't as good as the older one, but a pretty solid talent. Buddy Rios was an ok athlete... I remember Chis Smalls at LB, he was beast of an athlete...but that wasn't enough to help yall win that game with nederland.  Those are the kids that stuck out to me...and Smalls is probably the only one that i would consider Divison 1.

Overall New Caney biggest problem has been the offensive line, to me they always look extremely overweight.

D. Towers was great for yall, but he was a former Atascocita Eagle.  Chad Jackson never developed into anything, he was slow and had poor vision.   The Dunlaps were pretty good...The younger one isn't as good as the older one, but a pretty solid talent. Buddy Rios was an ok athlete... I remember Chis Smalls at LB, he was beast of an athlete...but that wasn't enough to help yall win that game with nederland.   Those are the kids that stuck out to me...and Smalls is probably the only one that i would consider Divison 1.

Overall New Caney biggest problem has been the offensive line, to me they always look extremely overweight.
[/quote]

I believe you stated earlier you would pay 50 bucks for a New Caney School beating a Humble ISD school in their first season. It has happened before. Check out Kingwoods first year playing varsity. They lost to New Caney 41-0.

Smalls was not the best athlete his senior year. Two other players from that class played some college ball but he did not. Michael Miller and Jacob Powell. No doubt Smalls was a surprise as he wasn't even considered a starter to begin the year. The Dunlaps would not be considered the best athletes of their class either.
I do agree that next year Humble and Huntsville will start the season as the teams to beat in this district, but Humble is not what it once was either.

[quote name="Lightning/Eagle" post="755700" timestamp="1265403148"]

I believe you stated earlier you would pay 50 bucks for a New Caney School beating a Humble ISD school in their first season. It has happened before. Check out Kingwoods first year playing varsity. They lost to New Caney 41-0.

Smalls was not the best athlete his senior year. Two other players from that class played some college ball but he did not. Michael Miller and Jacob Powell. No doubt Smalls was a surprise as he wasn't even considered a starter to begin the year. The Dunlaps would not be considered the best athletes of their class either.
I do agree that next year Humble and Huntsville will start the season as the teams to beat in this district, but Humble is not what it once was either.
[/quote]

I meant now...Not in the early 80's.    New Caney hasn't always been so depleted athletically, but the growth of Kingwood really has hurt them. 

Smalls was a solid athlete, which to me was under used...I would of used him as a HS DE not a running back/ Linebacker... From what i understand he played a season at Texas State, but im not positive.  and the Dunlaps weren't the best athletes in their class...Who was?

as far as Humble not being what it once was, ill agree....We were split...Just like Humble wasn't the same Humble after Kingwood....We changed.  I believe that this Humble (the one that will no longer be split) will be a better one then in previous years...i believe that Humble will take a course very similar to North Shore and Westfield over the course of the next 10-15 years.  We are no longer considered rural, but Urban.....and if we can approach our programs like those two have (NS in 96 and Westfield in 02)...we will have stronger teams then we did in the 90's and early 2000's.

We have an opportunity to build our tradition on equal footing before we get moved back up to 5a...a chance to play on a level playing field instead of playing programs that have 300+ kids and have had a student enrollment of 3400 for 10 years now...

Humble is in a unique place in its history, we get a shot to rebuild ourselves.....and not start from behind.

After we split with Kingwood it took us 10 years to recover because we moved to the new class 5a...we would of been better off staying at 4a...but it didn't happen that way.  with the move down, we will be able to avoid the growing pains to a large degree and stay competitive...which is all i ask.

I don't disagree that Humble and Huntsville will be the teams to beat.  Don't forget about Willis.  They have a ton of athletes, and were very young this year.

I do disagree that New Caney and Porter are devoid of talent.  That district has had lots of growth and will continue to grow.  They will have their struggles, but don't take either one for granted.  As Playa mentioned, the NC Soph team went 8-2 this season.  There must be some sort of talent coming up.

It will be fun to see how everything plays out next season.

How does K.Park fit into the mix?

[quote name="str8running" post="755775" timestamp="1265420619"]
I don't disagree that Humble and Huntsville will be the teams to beat.  Don't forget about Willis.  They have a ton of athletes, and were very young this year.

I do disagree that New Caney and Porter are devoid of talent.  That district has had lots of growth and will continue to grow.  They will have their struggles, but don't take either one for granted.  As Playa mentioned, the NC Soph team went 8-2 this season.  There must be some sort of talent coming up.

It will be fun to see how everything plays out next season.

How does K.Park fit into the mix?
[/quote]

K-Park will probably claim one of the playoff spots....They run a spread offense, which isn't what id run for their talent, but they have a salty defense that seems to come up with stops when they need it.

They will be hurting with the loss of their RB, and having their Freshman phenom move back to Humble (Jeremy Nash)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder