Lamar men @ Sam Houston/ Lamar loses 90-63!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well duh!!!!!  Deane came to get a fresh start...........had some ghost in the closet I guess you can say!!!!!  He won when he was younger and was more worried about kids graduating than winning.  It seems now that nobody cares who graduates........I want to WIN as much as the next guy but I also want these kids to have a life and career after college basketball.  With ROC they are not getting either...........a few are graduating but for the most part they are not!!!  Gillespie needs a fresh start and I would LOVE for him to come here but he can get a better job than LU!!!!

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="751123" timestamp="1264717681"]
[quote author=mffl link=topic=65289.msg751119#msg751119 date=1264717522]
[quote author=LAZEEK link=topic=65289.msg751116#msg751116 date=1264717296]
Are you really comparing Deane and Gillespie???
[/quote]

You're right... no comparison!
[/quote]Where is Deane now?
[/quote]

Losing at WAGNER!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

[quote name="LAZEEK" post="751126" timestamp="1264717807"]
Well duh!!!!!  Deane came to get a fresh start...........had some ghost in the closet I guess you can say!!!!!  He won when he was younger and was more worried about kids graduating than winning.  It seems now that nobody cares who graduates........I want to WIN as much as the next guy but I also want these kids to have a life and career after college basketball.  With ROC they are not getting either...........a few are graduating but for the most part they are not!!!  Gillespie needs a fresh start and I would LOVE for him to come here but he can get a better job than LU!!!!
[/quote]

He sure can, but you haven't seen him offered any jobs yet. If we came calling with enough money (Maybe 200k), I bet he would at least consider. It's not like he's looking to become the richest basketball coach in the NCAA after making all that $$ at UK (lawsuit pending).

Guest coachacola
Anyone know how much Roc makes, especially compared to the other coaches in the SLC?  I doubt he's the highest paid in the league.  LU should be paying the most and have the best coach in the league.

Look at football.  Woodard makes $130K, which is probably average in the SLC but a lot less than $200K Coker makes at UTSA or $190k I heard that Wright now makes at Texas State.  If Lamar is serious about winning in the SLC and possibly moving to a better league it needs to step up financially.

It's all about the [b]$$$$[/b]. LU is very similar to the Houston Astros. Afraid to spend money. They decided in the 80s to be a primarlily basketball school, and they had a good run. But it's over now. If they ever want to get back to where they were, they have to fork up the money. Honestly though, this is now a football, baseball, basketball school. In that order. I don't think Tubbs main focus is basketball right now, nor should it be.

If the consensus is that Tubbs is a great AD, then you guys really do have your heads in the sand. That dude cares a whole lot more about the happenings in Norman, Okla. than here in good ole Beaumont.

As I've said before, (and NOTHING that could be said on this board will change my mind) the success that happens at LU happens despite the administration.

You might be able to get a better coach with an incentive program.  Current average attendance about 3500,  so offer the coach a bonus based on every ticket sold above 3500.  If the program improved to the point that average attendance was 6000 then give the coach an extra 25K.

[quote name="AJ25" post="751163" timestamp="1264725562"]
It's all about the [b]$$$$[/b].[b] LU is very similar to the Houston Astros[/b]. Afraid to spend money. They decided in the 80s to be a primarlily basketball school, and they had a good run. But it's over now. If they ever want to get back to where they were, they have to fork up the money. Honestly though, this is now a football, baseball, basketball school. In that order. I don't think Tubbs main focus is basketball right now, nor should it be.
[/quote]

What planet are you on?

I love it when people complain about the Astros not spending money and don't do any actual research!!! Houston had the 8th highest payroll in 2009 ($103 million). Behind huge markets NY (Yankes and Mets); Chicago Cubs; Boston; Detroit (only smaller market); LA Angels; And Philli. Which is proof it ain't about how much you spend, it's about who you spend it on.

As far as Roc and graduation rates, again check the numbers. From what I understand this year already graduated is Hall, Nabors and Nwevo. Custer will graduate early as well. The hits for graduation came from a few years back when some of the JUCO guys left or were dismissed for obvious reasons.

[quote name="badndn" post="751440" timestamp="1264783714"]
[quote author=AJ25 link=topic=65289.msg751163#msg751163 date=1264725562]
It's all about the [b]$$$$[/b].[b] LU is very similar to the Houston Astros[/b]. Afraid to spend money. They decided in the 80s to be a primarlily basketball school, and they had a good run. But it's over now. If they ever want to get back to where they were, they have to fork up the money. Honestly though, this is now a football, baseball, basketball school. In that order. I don't think Tubbs main focus is basketball right now, nor should it be.
[/quote]

What planet are you on?

I love it when people complain about the Astros not spending money and don't do any actual research!!! Houston had the 8th highest payroll in 2009 ($103 million). Behind huge markets NY (Yankes and Mets); Chicago Cubs; Boston; Detroit (only smaller market); LA Angels; And Philli. Which is proof it ain't about how much you spend, it's about who you spend it on.

As far as Roc and graduation rates, again check the numbers. From what I understand this year already graduated is Hall, Nabors and Nwevo. Custer will graduate early as well. The hits for graduation came from a few years back when some of the JUCO guys left or were dismissed for obvious reasons.
[/quote]

Agree. The tutors are doing a good job getting players graduated. Roc has nothing to do with that really IMO. I think you give Roc one more year with this young team and if no noticable improvement you let him go. And see what the best you can get is. Hopefully football will be generating enough money to increase the budget quite a bit to spend more for a good coach. I hope we see improvement and we don't have to fire him though.

[quote name="badndn" post="751440" timestamp="1264783714"]
[quote author=AJ25 link=topic=65289.msg751163#msg751163 date=1264725562]
[/quote]

What planet are you on?

[/quote]

Relax badndn and go read the MLB thread and my huge thread on the Astros before you say I haven't done my research. There's a difference between bad money spread out over under-producing players (Carlos Lee, Kazou Matsui, etc..) And good money spread out over rising players (Carlos Beltran, actually.. Far too many former Astros that should've stuck around but Astros were too cheap). So don't say I don't know my facts when I know just as much if not more than any average joe on here. As for Lamar, graduating is the most important thing. I don't care if you go 0-45. There are none, nor will there be, any pro players coming through Lamar. I'm sure there have been in the past, but that's the past. Sure, a conference championship will be great, but not as good as that degree.[b]Student athletes[/b]. Now, as for Roc, one more year after this year with the young team.. And then get rid of him if he can't get the job done.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kofajas476
    Newest Member
    kofajas476