Week Four District begins

The Little Cypress-Mauriceville Bears boys soccer team began district play with a strong 2-1 win over the Ozen Panthers Tuesday night at Battlin' Bears Stadium.  Junior Tommy Jones scored the Bears' first goal and led a stingy defense; while Junior Garhett Bonneaux scored the game-winning goal in the second half to lead the Bears to victory.
    Coach Jeremy Watzlavik was pleased with the Bears performance through out a physical game.  "It wasn't our best effort.  I feel that we controlled the game, but we missed some scoring opportunities", said Coach Watzlavik. 
    The Ozen Panthers jumped to an early lead with an own-goal in the game's 14th minute.  Bears' goalie Christian Diaz attempted to clear a loose ball when his kick defelected off a Bear defender and bounced into the Ozen goal for a 1-0 lead.  "The own-goal was an unfortunate bounce", observed Watzlavik.   
    The Bears tied the game at 1-1 approximately three minutes later on Jones' score.  Jones initiated the scoring attack with a strong throw-in near the Ozen goal.  As Ozen defenders deflected the ball away from their goal, Jones took the rebound and drilled a 15-yard shot through heavy traffic into the goal.  Jones proudly said that "the shot was a blur.  I saw the deflection and then I kicked the ball.  I was hoping the ball would go in the goal, and it did."  Coach Watzlavik said that, "Tommy wanted that goal, and he willed it into the goal."
    The Bears mounted several scoring attacks throughout the remainder of the first half, but neither team was able to score.  Coach Watzlavik stated that, "we controlled the first half, but were unable to finish around the goal."
    The Bears began the second half with a flurry of attacks against a solid Ozen defense.  The Bears finally scored at the game's 53rd minute.  Senior Scott Karasik initiated the scoring effort for the Bears.  "Scott had a real good game with his numerous drives", said Coach Wattzlavik.  "Ozen was forced to account for him all night long". When Karasik dribbled the ball inside the penalty box, an Ozen defender fouled him with a tackled him from behind..
    Bonneaux boomed the penalty kick past the Ozen goalie into the bottom right side of the net.  "Garhett is money", Watzlavik said of his mid-fielder.  The goal gave the Bears a lead that lasted until the end of the game. 
    The Bears continued to construct several scoring drives on offense.  Their defense seemed to gain momentum as the game progressed.  "Our defense showed improvement during the game", said Watzlavik.  "We were stabbing at the ball in the first half.  At halftime, we discussed it and the team did much better in the second half.  Jones had an outstanding defensive game.  And, (Junior) Mauricio Benitez plays solid defense in every game." 
    The Bears travel to Port Neches on Friday to face a strong PN-G Indians team.  "PN-G is always a favorite to qualify for the playoffs", noted Watzlavik.  "It will be a tough test for our team." 

[color=black]NEDERLAND WON AGAINST BRIDGE CITY 7-1.  NEDERLAND'S FOOT SKILLS ARE UNMATCHABLE.  BRIDGE CITY SHOWED ALOT OF POTENTIAL BUT THEY STILL HAVE A LONG WAY TO GO.  MOST OF THE NEDERLAND BOYS HAVE PLAYED SOCCER TOGETHER SINCE THEY WERE VERY YOUNG AND IT SHOWS.  THEY ARE SO IN TUNNED WITH EACH OTHER.  THEY ARE A BLAST TO WATCH.  [font=Comic Sans MS][/font][/color]

[quote name="hj_hawk_60" post="751560" timestamp="1264791957"]
[quote author=bullets13 link=topic=65177.msg750717#msg750717 date=1264647996]
any HJ scores?
[/quote]

No, HJ did not play Tuesday

[b]Guys have a game tonight at 5 pm against Lufkin Hudson[/b]
Guys and Girls start district next Tuesday against Liberty
[/quote]

are y'all still going to play?  i was going to come out and watch, but with all this water i figured it might have swamped the field.

[quote name="Gabe" post="751603" timestamp="1264795720"]
[quote author=setxgal link=topic=65177.msg751597#msg751597 date=1264795337]
Nederland girls played this am (great weather!!) and beat Ozen 9-0

Way to go Lady Dogs :D
[/quote]

Grrr some Washburn did not text me like she was supposed to
[/quote]
Me either...I had to txt her ::)

HJ tied Lufkin Hudson 2-2.  HJ was up 2-0 but gave up two late goals (one with a minute left).  that being said, they performed well against a team that was more talented than them.  their defense used it's speed well, and their keeper, playing his first game of the season, made several nice saves to keep them in the game.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder