Yates breaks HJ's single game scoring record

[quote name="SFA85" post="739768" timestamp="1262877629"]
Excellent post Zeek.  I guess it was a different world in '92 when H-J broke the scoring record.  The wussification of sports hadn't taken hold nor was there the internet which these tough guys who speak of class have to get permission from their wives or mothers to speak.....
[/quote]

Hmmmm.... You speak of wusses and internet tough guys.   Hello!  You are doing the same thing, tough guy.          :D

That would be like a spread offense beating someone 70-0 in the 3rd quarter and still thorwing the ball every play.  If they threw 3 fade routes in a row every series their chances of scoring and running up the score even more would be much greater.  When is enough enough?  You can still win, make a point about how great you are, still let the kids play hard without trying to embarass a team that is outmanned.  Poor excuse for class and sportsmanship.

[quote name="LAZEEK" post="739770" timestamp="1262877741"]
[quote author=swag link=topic=64453.msg739766#msg739766 date=1262877445]
Is seek a coach or something. Did he play on that 92 team. If not Zeek you are breaking the rules for sharing. Correct me if I'm wrong.
[/quote]

No I am NOT a coach unless Little Dribblers and Youth Baseball count................No I did not play on the 1992 team, nor did I play basketball in high school ever........and No I am not breaking any rules.  I have corrected you!!! ;D ;D
[/quote]
I was just asking Zeek. I thought u were a hooper by what u had posted. I was about to ask were u a alley-ooper! Since you never played ball I take it your not athletic. Lol  

[quote name="swag" post="739784" timestamp="1262878792"]
[quote author=LAZEEK link=topic=64453.msg739770#msg739770 date=1262877741]
[quote author=swag link=topic=64453.msg739766#msg739766 date=1262877445]
Is seek a coach or something. Did he play on that 92 team. If not Zeek you are breaking the rules for sharing. Correct me if I'm wrong.
[/quote]

No I am NOT a coach unless Little Dribblers and Youth Baseball count................No I did not play on the 1992 team, nor did I play basketball in high school ever........and No I am not breaking any rules.  I have corrected you!!! ;D ;D
[/quote]
I was just asking Zeek. I thought u were a hooper by what u had posted. I was about to ask were u a alley-ooper! Since you never played ball I take it your not athletic. Lol  
[/quote]

Nope not an alley-ooper for sure unless we are on a 8 1/2 foot goal!!!! :D :D  I am athletic I am just vertically challenged and I enjoy eating a little too much............just not as much as Poppabear!!! ;D ;D ;D

[quote name="BoboandBlair" post="739782" timestamp="1262878628"]
.....When is enough enough?  You can still win, make a point about how great you are, still let the kids play hard without trying to embarass a team that is outmanned.  Poor excuse for class and sportsmanship.
[/quote]

enough is when you've done everything you can to win a national championship, given the nature of how those are won. Just like Nebraska running up 70+ in pre-BCS ncaa football era.

As far as I am concerned, it's NEVER okay to do what Yates and what HJ did. I see no reason to press while up by 100. You'll never convince me otherwise.

I never suggested that a team stop scoring and just hold the ball. I think those players off the bench should get the opportunity. But in these cases, the bench should have been playing right after the first quarter and for the remainder of the game. ;)

[quote name="LAZEEK" post="739754" timestamp="1262875633"]
This is from a coach that was on the 1992 HJ team..............

I see both sides of the argument.  As a coach I couldn’t see myself doing that to someone.  However, I have yet to coach a team that I KNEW was 40 points better than everyone except a handful of teams they would play that year.  As for HJ in ‘92, there is very little difference in what we did versus what Yates is doing.  The biggest difference I see is how it is being handled publicly.  Of course, in ‘92 there were not near the media accessibility that there is now.  I know our coach did not comment in the papers that we were going to try and score 200 or beat people as bad as we could.  I can comment on the “that’s the only way we know how to play” philosophy.  I will say that there is more validity to that than people want to believe.  Playing that style is a mentality much more than it is x’s and o’s.  Our coach knew that belief in what we were doing was so much more important than anything else that he never wanted us to think otherwise.  To run this system effectively, players cannot be concerned with the scoreboard.  It has to be an “all out” mentality all the time.  As for HJ’s 166 point record, it was against Hardin in a district game at Hardin.  We scored 96 in the first half.  We quit pressing in the 4th quarter but, were running the half court version of our press.  That team had no one over 6’2” and we had an 8 man rotation.  However, most games all 11 players got in the game.  Our coach would never tell any of our players to quit scoring.  He didn’t feel that was fair to bench players who sell out in practice, to put them in when the game is over and tell them they can’t shoot.  That is one philosophy that I still believe today.  I will change defenses, pull off the press, etc. but, I will never tell a kid not to score.  I also understand where they are coming from on the “not losing your edge” comment and believe it has some validity to it.  No matter how hard you try, you can never fully simulate a game situation in practice.  There is nothing like the actual game.  Therefore, the argument that they get all the competition they need in practice doesn’t add up.  They aren’t facing defenses designed to slow them down in practice or offenses designed to play keep away.  That is before mentioning all the other intangibles that come into play during a real game.  When a state championship is your only goal (or whatever your goal may be) and the only goal that will satisfy the season then you have to do whatever you think is best for your team.  You don’t have to publicize it or talk about it but, within the confines of your program you are cheating your kids if you don’t do what you think is best in helping them obtain their goals.  I think the “uproar” regarding what they are doing stems from some other feelings about this team that have very little to do with their style of play or the score on the scoreboard.  Their style and scores are just adding fuel to the fire.  

Also, has anyone ever thought what would be the reaction if they did just the opposite?  What if they were up 100-12 at halftime and came out in the second half and held the ball and refused to shoot and just played keep away for two quarters.  I can GUARANTEE that there would be an “outrage” about that as well.  Then they would be “making a mockery of the game” etc.  I have been “booed” out of a local gym before for holding the ball for 5 minutes of one quarter to try and get a team out of a zone......even had an angry parent email a letter to the administration saying that I was “classless” and “teaching our kids poor life lessons” by doing that.  Point being, when you are as good as they are, you are going to upset people no matter what you do.
[/quote]

BEST LAZEEK POST EVER!!!! SMARTEST LAZEEK POST EVER!  KARMA FOR YOU!

[quote name="Roper84" post="739721" timestamp="1262867692"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=64453.msg739716#msg739716 date=1262846976]
I listened to the Coach Wise interview on Sportstalk 610, he said himself that they pressed the entire game. He said they know no other way to play. I find that to be bull crap!!

Chad, when is enough, enough?

I do not know what the circumstances were in the HJ game, but if they did what Yates did, then they are a bunch of sleezeballs too.
[/quote]
I wouldn't start alot of name calling... 87-28, 125-54?!?!  You tell us when is enough enough?
Roll Tide!
[/quote]

Since you brought those games up, I will tell you about them, since I broadcasted both of them.

Silsbee never pressed in the second half in both games. In the latter game, Silsbee starters played the 1st quarter and 2 minutes of the 3rd, that's it. Silsbee led by 30 at half of both games, not 100! Legacy, particularly in the second game, just kept shooting the ball, their offensive possesions lasted maybe 8-10 seconds and that was on their own, no pressure.

Again, I am never for a team to lay down and not score, but there are things that can be done to help prevent the game to get like what Yates did. Silsbee did some of those things. Trust me, if they played in the manner of what Yates did against Lee, you would have saw a score close to that in the Silsbee/Legacy game.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="739843" timestamp="1262884096"]
As far as I am concerned, it's NEVER okay to do what Yates and what HJ did. I see no reason to press while up by 100. [u][b]You'll never convince me otherwise.
[/b][/u]
I never suggested that a team stop scoring and just hold the ball. I think those players off the bench should get the opportunity. But in these cases, the bench should have been playing right after the first quarter and for the remainder of the game. ;)
[/quote]

1. You misunderstand my motivation for posting.

2. Apparently you're not aware of the situation re: the bench and how much they played in the first half and why they couldn't play more than 1 minute into the second half. Not that it matters much. Yates has their style, and that's that. I suspect they don't care to convince you any more than I do.

[quote name="BoboandBlair" post="739737" timestamp="1262872440"]
I don't follow hs basketball much, but this Wise, from Houston Yates seems to be a self promoter.  [b][u]Every article I've seen from this year, he tries to build himself up, and try to make himself look like a Pat Riley by embarassing other teams.  Seems to be all about him[/u][/b], and how bad he can beat teams that would be lucky to compete in 2A. 
[/quote]

Could you provide a couple of those cites or links to a few of the "every article (you've) seen" you mentioned above?

[quote name="BoboandBlair" post="739737" timestamp="1262872440"]
.....this Wise, from Houston Yates....Someone that saw them at the state tourney last year told me that he likes to sport [b][u]red[/u][/b], and [b][u]yellow[/u][/b] suits when he coaches, typical crap from people like him.  Reminds me of one of Boutte's assistants years back, I think it was John Clayton.  He tried to dress like he was going to church, or some NAACP funtion. [/quote]

How DARE he dress like that! By the way, guess what Yates school colors are.  Go on, guess. ;)

and I'm not sure what to make of that NAACP reference.

Was there a coach that got fired last year for winning a girls game with the score of around 100-2?  But yet, they has not been much media put out about this across the state as far as major news stations are concerned?  And that girls coach might not have gotten fired for the win, but he was let go for his actions when the media started proding him for responses over the issue.

[quote name="inodis" post="740938" timestamp="1262983993"]
Was there a coach that got fired last year for winning a girls game with the score of around 100-2?  But yet, they has not been much media put out about this across the state as far as major news stations are concerned?  And that girls coach might not have gotten fired for the win, but he was let go for his actions when the media started proding him for responses over the issue.
[/quote]

I am sure the houston channels covered it.  It was on two different programs on ESPN.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder