Yates breaks HJ's single game scoring record

[quote name="backdoorcuts" post="739629" timestamp="1262832895"]
Chron.com

Yates breaks HJ's record of 166 pts in a game.  Under the UIL director(Breightup) so I guess it won't be any write-ups.  You HJ hypocrites give me your take on that!  I wonder if you people felt this strongly then?
[/quote]H-J pulled off the press. Think about that.

[quote name="backdoorcuts" post="739629" timestamp="1262832895"]
Chron.com

Yates breaks HJ's record of 166 pts in a game.  Under the UIL director(Breightup) so I guess it won't be any write-ups.  You HJ hypocrites give me your take on that!  I wonder if you people felt this strongly then?
[/quote]

Why do you call HJ people hypocrites???  Also there was already a story on chron.com about it!!!!  Has nothing to do with Breithaupt!!!

[quote name="LAZEEK" post="739643" timestamp="1262834293"]
[quote author=backdoorcuts link=topic=64453.msg739629#msg739629 date=1262832895]
Chron.com

[/quote]

Why do you call HJ people hypocrites???  Also there was already a story on chron.com about it!!!!  Has nothing to do with Breithaupt!!!
[/quote]
I wasn't making it about him,   just commenting to all the people saying he should be written up.  Doc surely won't have a problem with it.  But the thing is so many people have been so quick to judge.  Listen to the interview on 'espn, it clears alot of things.  It just hit home because there were some strong opinions against Yates and turns out the same exact thing was sitting in their own back yard.  Kind of like that saying " sweep around your own front door before you try to sweep around mine!"  Not all of you are hypocrites, but some of them like to criticize other people.

[quote name="PoppaBearstarr" post="739664" timestamp="1262835989"]
tell me again why all HJ fans are hypocrites....just trying to get a handle on YOUR problem.
[/quote]

The two teams were different in their owns ways and very similar in others!!!!  I think that season HJ led the country in scoring with like 110 pts per game........Yates is gonna shatter that this season.....they are averaging 119 now!!!  I believe that Jamey Harrison still holds a national record from the 92 HJ team for steals in a season!!  Both teams like to run and gun and press the you know what out of you!!!  HJ was about 12 deep that year and all 12 got multiple minutes per game.  

[quote name="PoppaBearstarr" post="739664" timestamp="1262835989"]
tell me again why all HJ fans are hypocrites....just trying to get a handle on YOUR problem.
[/quote]I don't have a problem.  Not a problem then or now, but read some of the post from some of your fans.  Many in this area spoke out very strongly against what YATES did.  Then it turns out that its their home team that had their record broke?  That's not the poster child for hypocrisy?  Yates 170- HJ -166 but we didn't press the whole game.  O okay that makes it ok!  I bet the kept firing three's and steepin in passing lanes.  You don't just walk on the court and score 166.  Did you have a 100 at the half, I doubt it.  So you kept doing something.  Dang sure didnt play keep away like every one says Yates should have.

I was wondering who you were referring to when you said that, now i know it was me so let me clear it up for you. For number one I didn't know HJ held that record, back then I didnt follow HJ Basketball but I have heard that even the coach wish's he wouldn't have done it now. I dont think it is right. Then or now. I If i was officiating this game I would have started calling a lot of fouls until they backed off. I understand why it would look that way though.

HJ has won some and lost some........back then they won a ton and by a ton.....I can say as a fan of the running and pressing game that I don't have a problem with it........if I was on the losing in of it I likely would not enjoy it.  I knew that HJ held the record and others as well.........glad they held it as long as they did.......many schools over the last decade have run this system and some run it better than others.

[font=Courier]I heard they didn't press in the 2nd half....Jim Hicks will have something to say about this sometime tomorrow and I will copy and paste his first hand account.

Tell me again what the difference between yates scoring and previous H-J record? Press or no press. There's no difference. Both rang it up and I have no probs with it.

[/font]

I listened to the Coach Wise interview on Sportstalk 610, he said himself that they pressed the entire game. He said they know no other way to play. I find that to be bull crap!!

Chad, when is enough, enough?

I do not know what the circumstances were in the HJ game, but if they did what Yates did, then they are a bunch of sleezeballs too.

Who was the team Hj put 166 on??  I have a strong feeling it wasn't a team in their district, I'm thinking more of a 1 or 2a team! If so, that would be dead wrong. If it was a 3a team then oh well. Sooo, do anyone have that info. I'm curious!!! (Swag)

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="739710" timestamp="1262845741"]
Question, where is the need to press after being up 100-12 at halftime?

I don't defend anyone for forcing a score like that.
[/quote]I agree 110%.  There is absolutely no reason to continue the press.  They should have stopped it after they scored 53 in the first quarter.  Work on other aspects of the game,  but call off the press.  Oh,  I forgot.  Thats the only way they no how to play. ;)

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="739716" timestamp="1262846976"]
I listened to the Coach Wise interview on Sportstalk 610, he said himself that they pressed the entire game. He said they know no other way to play. I find that to be bull crap!!

Chad, when is enough, enough?

I do not know what the circumstances were in the HJ game, but if they did what Yates did, then they are a bunch of sleezeballs too.
[/quote]
I wouldn't start alot of name calling... 87-28, 125-54?!?!  You tell us when is enough enough?
Roll Tide!

STOP? for what?  Its more sportsman like to play your best game, every game!!!! High school only last for a minute and most of these kids will fade into obscurity after their high school career.  Not many schools have the opportunity to be nationally ranked, to complete at a high level, or to break records.  I know the other team feels bad, but that is what it is!  You don't play to stop yourself, that is your opponents job!

I don't follow hs basketball much, but this Wise, from Houston Yates seems to be a self promoter.  Every article I've seen from this year, he tries to build himself up, and try to make himself look like a Pat Riley by embarassing other teams.  Seems to be all about him, and how bad he can beat teams that would be lucky to compete in 2A.  Thats one of the main reasons I don't like basketball.

Someone that saw them at the state tourney last year told me that he likes to sport red, and yellow suits when he coaches, typical crap from people like him.  Reminds me of one of Boutte's assistants years back, I think it was John Clayton.  He tried to dress like he was going to church, or some NAACP funtion.

This is from a coach that was on the 1992 HJ team..............

I see both sides of the argument.  As a coach I couldn’t see myself doing that to someone.  However, I have yet to coach a team that I KNEW was 40 points better than everyone except a handful of teams they would play that year.  As for HJ in ‘92, there is very little difference in what we did versus what Yates is doing.  The biggest difference I see is how it is being handled publicly.  Of course, in ‘92 there were not near the media accessibility that there is now.  I know our coach did not comment in the papers that we were going to try and score 200 or beat people as bad as we could.  I can comment on the “that’s the only way we know how to play” philosophy.  I will say that there is more validity to that than people want to believe.  Playing that style is a mentality much more than it is x’s and o’s.  Our coach knew that belief in what we were doing was so much more important than anything else that he never wanted us to think otherwise.  To run this system effectively, players cannot be concerned with the scoreboard.  It has to be an “all out” mentality all the time.  As for HJ’s 166 point record, it was against Hardin in a district game at Hardin.  We scored 96 in the first half.  We quit pressing in the 4th quarter but, were running the half court version of our press.  That team had no one over 6’2” and we had an 8 man rotation.  However, most games all 11 players got in the game.  Our coach would never tell any of our players to quit scoring.  He didn’t feel that was fair to bench players who sell out in practice, to put them in when the game is over and tell them they can’t shoot.  That is one philosophy that I still believe today.  I will change defenses, pull off the press, etc. but, I will never tell a kid not to score.  I also understand where they are coming from on the “not losing your edge” comment and believe it has some validity to it.  No matter how hard you try, you can never fully simulate a game situation in practice.  There is nothing like the actual game.  Therefore, the argument that they get all the competition they need in practice doesn’t add up.  They aren’t facing defenses designed to slow them down in practice or offenses designed to play keep away.  That is before mentioning all the other intangibles that come into play during a real game.  When a state championship is your only goal (or whatever your goal may be) and the only goal that will satisfy the season then you have to do whatever you think is best for your team.  You don’t have to publicize it or talk about it but, within the confines of your program you are cheating your kids if you don’t do what you think is best in helping them obtain their goals.  I think the “uproar” regarding what they are doing stems from some other feelings about this team that have very little to do with their style of play or the score on the scoreboard.  Their style and scores are just adding fuel to the fire.  

Also, has anyone ever thought what would be the reaction if they did just the opposite?  What if they were up 100-12 at halftime and came out in the second half and held the ball and refused to shoot and just played keep away for two quarters.  I can GUARANTEE that there would be an “outrage” about that as well.  Then they would be “making a mockery of the game” etc.  I have been “booed” out of a local gym before for holding the ball for 5 minutes of one quarter to try and get a team out of a zone......even had an angry parent email a letter to the administration saying that I was “classless” and “teaching our kids poor life lessons” by doing that.  Point being, when you are as good as they are, you are going to upset people no matter what you do.

Is Zeek a coach or something. Did he play on that 92 team. If not Zeek you are breaking the rules for sharing. Correct me if I'm wrong, but u sure sound like a former player or coach to me with that post!

Excellent post Zeek.  I guess it was a different world in '92 when H-J broke the scoring record.  The wussification of sports hadn't taken hold nor was there the internet which these tough guys who speak of class have to get permission from their wives or mothers to speak.....

[quote name="swag" post="739766" timestamp="1262877445"]
Is seek a coach or something. Did he play on that 92 team. If not Zeek you are breaking the rules for sharing. Correct me if I'm wrong.
[/quote]

No I am NOT a coach unless Little Dribblers and Youth Baseball count................No I did not play on the 1992 team, nor did I play basketball in high school ever........and No I am not breaking any rules.  I have corrected you!!! ;D ;D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder