Select Baseball effect on High School Baseball

Guest ruben

Hearing some of these negative comments makes me think that some of you probably were on the wrong team and definitely had a bad experience. Not all teams and coaches are like what you have described. There are several very good organizations out there that have excellent coaches. There are some with College experience and even some with several years of professional baseball under their belt.

They have moved on, not because they couldn't cut it, but rather from an injury or just felt like it was time to do something different. The common nucleus is that they teach how the game should be played and bring out the best in individuals. Yes, it cost money to play on a team like this, but like I said in a previous post, if your kid has the potential and wants to play at the next level, then playing Select Baseball is the way to go.

Maybe you should look at other organizations and give Select Baseball another chance!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the key word here is being ignored by those with negative experiences.  That word is "[color=crimson]Select[/color]".  The teams select or invite the players they want to play.  If the young man and his parents accept that invitation, they're on the team.  Sometimes rising talent must sometimes select whatever team that will have them.  Also, the top teams often have sponsors that  financially help  players families that could not afford the tremendous expenses that accompany select or travel teams.  Now if a select team has a parent that sponsors a team, well we all understand that players opportunity to play is greatly enhanced!  ;)  But hey, this is America!!! ;D

Well it is very obvious that most if not all of you have kids that play select ball. I want to clear up some of the statments made here. My "little Johnny" had the opportunity and invitation to play select ball, he chose not to join. His and only his decission, I did not care one way or the other. The point that is being missed in all of the post on here is what the post title is all about. "Select Baseball effect on high school Baseball". I state once again that it is a negative effect on the team. My little Johnny has played with most every select player in the area and he has told me (without my input) that some are really good guys and team players but the majority are only out for themselves and bring down the team chemistry. If you cant handle that then you and your little Johnny are  probably in the last catagory.Keep throwing away your money on a hope and a dream and lets talk more after he graduates and is left with no scholorship and you have lots of bills and tuition to pay while you are left feeling like he let you down and you are broke while the select coach laughs all the way to the bank.

My kid plays select because he can't get enough baseball.  League was never enough and the school season is not long enough. Select affords him the opportunity to play more ball, which improves his skills. It provides him extra exposure, I can't rely on his high school coach only. Lots of parents work busy schedules and cannot work hands on with their kids to better their skills & high school coaches work with the teams, not individuals.  Select is one more place a child can receive training, instruction and exposure.........how can there be anything wrong with that?  Select needs to be viewed as a tool to additional training and with any training/lessons there is a cost for the services.  The only effect on the high school team is that the team and coach have a kid on the team that has some extra experience.

As a parent I have to provide my child all the opportunites I can.  I'm not wasting my money, I'm investing in my child and the only promises being made are by us, his parents.

I think some people are getting confused with the "select" ball.

If your community putts together a team from around the area, have a dad coach it, and then putting them into a "select" tourn in Beaumont than that is not the "select" ball we are talking about. I still have a problem with this but not as much as the other. I will tell you why later....

The "select" ball we are talking about are the "coaches" which get paid by parents to treat their 10 and 12 year olds like they are professional athletes, traveling everywhere and dropping them off their team due to performance.
THIS HAS NO BUSINESS IN LITTLE LEAGUE BASEBALL !!!!!

The reason why I have a problem with the first is that you are already stereotyping those kids... kids grow...... some faster than others, and "Select" makes the ones that grow or develop later give up on a sport because you are saying their not good enough. and select ball are taking the all-stars out of what ever the comunity ball (little league, Babe Ruth, etc.) so they don't have enough teams to play and shuts down the whole league.  

Now "select" coaches, which get paid, are persuading their kid to quit high school, and play select year around.  This will destroy high school baseball!!!!

example: my cuz was told he was he was not good enough. so he gave up. his body and coordination caught up with each other in high school, tried for the varsity baseball team his JR. year in high school, did not make it until his Sr. year, then was drafted by the Astros and is currently playing in AAA in round rock.
He can't be the only one. How many more kids does this happen to???  Most would not have gone back after being told he was not good enough to play.

I wish people would just realize the problem and just go back the way it was.  Community league then all-stars after. this would solve all the problems.

And for all you parents who fall for the "the select ball will get your kid more exposure", remember this, only 11.7 scholarships for a div 1 school baseball team on a 30+ man roster.  Which means that they will more than likely receive a part scholarship if any.   ACEDEMIC SCHOLERSHIPS PAY FULL ADMISSIONS. GRADES ARE KEY TO A BASEBALL PLAYERS FEATURE.  The first thing a college scout asks is GPA, ACT scores, class rank, then how is his attitude.  If they can't get you in, they ant gonna waste their time. If you want to push your kid, do it in the class room just as much or even more than on the field.

FYI............we put academics first.  My kid is an A student in the National Honor Society.  He knows that he ONLY plays ball if his grades are good.  For us, select is not replacing school ball....it's an addition, therefore, if my child is being seen through school and select, he is getting more exposure.  Bottom line is, if select is not for you or your child, don't do it.

[quote name="78Stang" post="719967" timestamp="1259463783"]
Well it is very obvious that most if not all of you have kids that play select ball. I want to clear up some of the statments made here. My "little Johnny" had the opportunity and invitation to play select ball, he chose not to join. His and only his decission, I did not care one way or the other. The point that is being missed in all of the post on here is what the post title is all about. "Select Baseball effect on high school Baseball". I state once again that it is a negative effect on the team. My little Johnny has played with most every select player in the area and he has told me (without my input) that some are really good guys and team players but the majority are only out for themselves and bring down the team chemistry. If you cant handle that then you and your little Johnny are  probably in the last catagory.Keep throwing away your money on a hope and a dream and lets talk more after he graduates and is left with no scholorship and you have lots of bills and tuition to pay while you are left feeling like he let you down and you are broke while the select coach laughs all the way to the bank.
[/quote]

Not one to to toot our horn but you brought it up. Mine has 2 years paid at [b]100%[/b] including housing and food. Has signed an early letter of intent to play is junior year @ D1 @ 85% including housing and out-of-state tution......mostly like will enter the draft. I speak w/ his two select coaches on an almost daily basis for advice, friendship, etc. Not sure what high school ya'll play at but no way mine could've done this w/o playing select ball.
BTW, there are several ways to trim/cut costs involved w/ playing select. The memories and friends my son and I have made thru his select ball will last a lifetime.
Go Houston Heat and SE Texas Sun Devils !

[quote name="ondeck" post="720231" timestamp="1259510080"]
My kid plays select because he can't get enough baseball.  League was never enough and the school season is not long enough. Select affords him the opportunity to play more ball, which improves his skills. It provides him extra exposure, I can't rely on his high school coach only. Lots of parents work busy schedules and cannot work hands on with their kids to better their skills & high school coaches work with the teams, not individuals.  Select is one more place a child can receive training, instruction and exposure.........how can there be anything wrong with that?  Select needs to be viewed as a tool to additional training and with any training/lessons there is a cost for the services.  The only effect on the high school team is that the team and coach have a kid on the team that has some extra experience.

[b]As a parent I have to provide my child all the opportunites I can.  I'm not wasting my money, I'm investing in my child and the only promises being made are by us, his parents.[/b]

[/quote]

Very well said, I could not have said it any better. If I wasn't spending money on select baseball for "Lil Johnny", I'd be spending it on him for something else. Kids need to stay busy this days.

In Carthage we feel that we have one of the best Dixie League Youth Programs in the country. When our kids get too old for Dixie League most of them will enter some sort of select league. We play in Dallas, Tyler, Shreveport & Longview. Many kids play both Dixie & Select.

Last fall our varsity catcher would leave after his Friday night football game and drive to Dallas to play select baseball on the weekends.

To the best of my knowledge we have never had a jealousy problem with kids & select baseball. It is unfortunate of the cost associated with select baseball but in most cases it is necessary. The exposure the kids get from select baseball is great. 90+% of the time the coaching is excellent and the kids really benefit from the experience.

I'm sometimes amazed at the kid's that don't take advantage of select or even league ball in the summer.How in the world do you expect to earn a position in high school if the guy you are competing against has triple the at bats or innings thrown in off season.

To me we don't have enough kids playing ball, and if you are playing for a select team that doesn't charge you,consider yourself lucky and gratefull.

[quote name="adminbaberuth" post="720903" timestamp="1259605805"]
I'm sometimes amazed at the kid's that don't take advantage of select or even league ball in the summer.How in the world do you expect to earn a position in high school if the guy you are competing against has triple the at bats or innings thrown in off season.

To me we don't have enough kids playing ball, and if you are playing for a select team that doesn't charge you,consider yourself lucky and gratefull.

[/quote]WOW...  some of these people ???.... I know our team has select players that sit on the bench.... and does it really matter lets put the best on the field and win district again ...O & all of our starters play select  somewhere are they have played select somewhere ....I love that my son gets swings all during football season and in the summer  ...It is about that time adminbaberuth....SEE YA  AT THE PARK BABY....GO BIG NED

• 2 weeks later...
select is good for some kids (usually upper and middle class) and it is bad for others that are left to play in the now crappy local league that is for the rest of the kids

select leaves out the six seven eight and nine hole hitters on most high school teams rendering the local high school teams weaker during their hs season because they did not progress like the top of the order

players 10-15 do not progress like they used to either making the longshot moving into the order more rare than years ago

the top pitchers in the area are often thrown twice on the same weekend which is over use (some coaches have received bonuses for winning which really increased this problem)

the orgonal poster was correct about select ball effecting team chemistry, that is fact

area high school teams were better back in the 80's and 90's and even early 00's before the dawn of the select movement (look at the drop in playoff wins since that time)

I have been coaching Select Baseball for six years and five years before that in Youth League ball. I have never recieved one red cent for coaching and would not if offered. We have won two World Series and one National Championship in Select and went to State four years in Youth ball. My opinion is select is an extension to youth baseball. Some kids develope quicker than others and it's better for those few to move to a more competitive type of baseball. It's not better or worse; just more competitive. We make sure our kids keep up there grades and have time for other activities. Select ball DOES help the High School level. Ask any High School coach. If any of our kids thought they are any better than another, I personally would give him a reality check real quick. Select is about a kid playing at his most competitive level (for that kid). I am not a fan of paying a coach because sometimes money does get in the way. Pay for individual lessons if you want and make sure your coach has the qualifications for the level you are playing. Don't let any kid at any level feel superior or he or she will lose in the end.

[quote name="Dayton Transplant" post="730064" timestamp="1260800432"]
I have been coaching Select Baseball for six years and five years before that in Youth League ball. I have never recieved one red cent for coaching and would not if offered. We have won two World Series and one National Championship in Select and went to State four years in Youth ball. My opinion is select is an extension to youth baseball. Some kids develope quicker than others and it's better for those few to move to a more competitive type of baseball. It's not better or worse; just more competitive. We make sure our kids keep up there grades and have time for other activities. Select ball DOES help the High School level. Ask any High School coach. If any of our kids thought they are any better than another, I personally would give him a reality check real quick. Select is about a kid playing at his most competitive level (for that kid). I am not a fan of paying a coach because sometimes money does get in the way. Pay for individual lessons if you want and make sure your coach has the qualifications for the level you are playing. Don't let any kid at any level feel superior or he or she will lose in the end.
[/quote]Excellent points which covers the basic points of select sports and it's advantages.

[quote name="midcountymadness" post="730001" timestamp="1260769098"]
select is good for some kids (usually upper and middle class) and it is bad for others that are left to play in the now crappy local league that is for the rest of the kids

select leaves out the six seven eight and nine hole hitters on most high school teams rendering the local high school teams weaker during their hs season because they did not progress like the top of the order

players 10-15 do not progress like they used to either making the longshot moving into the order more rare than years ago

the top pitchers in the area are often thrown twice on the same weekend which is over use (some coaches have received bonuses for winning which really increased this problem)

the orgonal poster was correct about select ball effecting team chemistry, that is fact

area high school teams were better back in the 80's and 90's and even early 00's before the dawn of the select movement (look at the drop in playoff wins since that time)
[/quote]

You must be around the wrong "select' teams all  that I can say.

[quote name="78Stang" post="717507" timestamp="1259170815"]
Wow. I think I touched a few nerves with that post. First of all no it is NOT personal, I am talking about experience, first hand. There seems to be a huge misunderstanding that the non-select players are not playing ball or practicing during the summer and fall. Wrong! They are working just as hard, sometimes harder. No this is not a parent taking up for little Johnny. Little Johnny was a 4 year starter on Varsity and did very well while not playing select. However the select players were given special treatment by coaches while players with the same abilities road pine because of it. The attitudes of some of the select players is the problem I am talking about. Cocky! I watched as it totally tore the team apart and the select players ended up on a lonely island by themselves. NO I am not talking about ALL select players, I am talking about the majority. There are exceptions. As far as the post about select is the only way to get to the next level, that may be true, but that statement is a perfect example of my point. The select player is looking down the road and in most cases the rest of his high school team and buddies pay the price of his future goals not the immediate team goals which should be the most important.
[/quote]

"Cocky"?  Or just Confident?  IMO, it's confidence.  Confidence in the fact that they KNOW what they're doing.  They are not using their HS season to figure out how to play.  The HS team is where you use what you have learned on your own and in quality Select ball.  You can't expect the majority of HS coaches to be able to do everything it takes to make each player better.  HS coaches are there to win, surely, but they're also there to 'manage the program.'  That management includes staying on your players' grades, making sure they're not getting into trouble, raising money, scheduling games/travel/umpires, etc., etc.  The better HS coaches appreciate how much a quality Select program makes their players better.

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="swingit" post="730124" timestamp="1260809483"]
[quote author=78Stang link=topic=62918.msg717507#msg717507 date=1259170815]
Wow. I think I touched a few nerves with that post. First of all no it is NOT personal, I am talking about experience, first hand. There seems to be a huge misunderstanding that the non-select players are not playing ball or practicing during the summer and fall. Wrong! They are working just as hard, sometimes harder. No this is not a parent taking up for little Johnny. Little Johnny was a 4 year starter on Varsity and did very well while not playing select. However the select players were given special treatment by coaches while players with the same abilities road pine because of it. The attitudes of some of the select players is the problem I am talking about. Cocky! I watched as it totally tore the team apart and the select players ended up on a lonely island by themselves. NO I am not talking about ALL select players, I am talking about the majority. There are exceptions. As far as the post about select is the only way to get to the next level, that may be true, but that statement is a perfect example of my point. The select player is looking down the road and in most cases the rest of his high school team and buddies pay the price of his future goals not the immediate team goals which should be the most important.
[/quote]

"Cocky"?  Or just Confident?  IMO, it's confidence.  Confidence in the fact that they KNOW what they're doing.  They are not using their HS season to figure out how to play.  The HS team is where you use what you have learned on your own and in quality Select ball.  You can't expect the majority of HS coaches to be able to do everything it takes to make each player better.  HS coaches are there to win, surely, but they're also there to 'manage the program.'  That management includes staying on your players' grades, making sure they're not getting into trouble, raising money, scheduling games/travel/umpires, etc., etc.  The better HS coaches appreciate how much a quality Select program makes their players better.
[/quote]

On top of all that, MOST high school coaches have lesson plans, grading, class room discipline issues, department meetings, faculty meetings, etc...

[quote name="The Old Ball Coach" post="730166" timestamp="1260812912"]
If your kid is on a true selct team then you are not paying a dime for anything, if you are writing checks then he is not on a true select team but a glorified little league that travels. Every Kid plays on A "select team" now its just a money deal.
[/quote]

That might be the dumbest comment anyone could write on this topic. 

[quote name="rounder17" post="730204" timestamp="1260814992"]
[quote author=The Old Ball Coach link=topic=62918.msg730166#msg730166 date=1260812912]
If your kid is on a true selct team then you are not paying a dime for anything, if you are writing checks then he is not on a true select team but a glorified little league that travels. Every Kid plays on A "select team" now its just a money deal.
[/quote]

[/quote] :D

[quote name="rounder17" post="730204" timestamp="1260814992"]
[quote author=The Old Ball Coach link=topic=62918.msg730166#msg730166 date=1260812912]
[/quote]

[/quote]

This is comming from the same guy Who posted this in another topic
[b]"Lumberton shouldn't be considered. Their coach is too stupid to play his best players."[/b]
Basically you are Porbably the dad paying way too much for your kid to be good (which apparently is not working), but whatever floats your boat buddy. I do love however, how you love to use the words stupid and dumb when talking about other people. such class

[quote name="The Old Ball Coach" post="730347" timestamp="1260824768"]
[quote author=rounder17 link=topic=62918.msg730204#msg730204 date=1260814992]
[/quote]

[/quote]

This is comming from the same guy Who posted this in another topic
[b]"Lumberton shouldn't be considered. Their coach is too stupid to play his best players."[/b]
Basically you are Porbably the dad paying way too much for your kid to be good (which apparently is not working), but whatever floats your boat buddy. I do love however, how you love to use the words stupid and dumb when talking about other people. such class

[/quote]

Actually I am not a parent, therefore I can't be "the" dad paying way too much for my kid to be good.

Clearly, Select takes many forms that is difficult to put into one category.  Yes, you do have glorified league teams out there that take their little league or pony league all-stars and place them on a weekend travelling team.  Yes, you have paid coaches who are not much better than a non-paid coach, and yes, you do have organizations that focus on wins and not the child.  It is impossible to lump them all in to one category.  But please 78 Stang and Mid county madness, don't disparage all select teams due to your negative experiences with one.

Last summer, I started the Gladiator Baseball Organization for high school age kids.  I worked in conjunction with Morgan Walker, to give his younger Gladiators and other local kids, an opportunity to play travelling summer ball at the high school level.  Our sole focus is to prepare our kids for the next level, whatever that may be.  For example, the focus of 14s is to better prepare them for high school ball (60/90).  Our 15s and 16s our focus is to better prepare them for varsity high school ball.  Our 17s & 18s, to better prepare them for college ball AND to get them exposure with college scouts.  We carefully choose tournaments where we feel there will be exceptional competition, so our kids can face better teams and better pitching.  I could care less whether we win tournaments.  Yes, I want to see our kids play well and up to their potential, but we do not win at all costs. 

We have a player conduct policy that we implemented this year.  If a player does not have the grades (yes, we monitor grades), or has off-field behavior that is detrimental to the player or the team, then we punish the player accordingly.  To address the assertion that select is only for the rich, we charge $100 per month.  We fundraise for the rest.  We do not turn people away for an inability to pay.  However, we expect players and parents to fill in for their lack of pay with volunteerism of some sort to the organization.  Playing for any team is a privelege, not a right.  We want all kids to respect that through helping out in one way or another.  So, no, select ball is not for the upper/middle class, as some have asserted.

Finally, we do pay coaches.  And here is why.  First, I feel a paid coach, at this age group is necessary.  At this age, the game has passed a number of Dad's by.  Paid coaches, in SE TX are former college and pro players.  These coaches have the necessary on-field experience.  Equally as important, they can mentor the kids on the dos and don'ts of the college experience because they have been there before.  Second, I do not like the idea of of a Dad coaching their kid, for obvious reasons.  Third, a paid coach allows the organization to have leverage.  If a coach is not meeting expectations for whatever reason, a paid coach runs the risk of being fired, and their livelihood is hurt.  A volunteer can tell you to shove it because it is just a hobby for them.  Yes, there may be some very qualified volunters, but that is not the direction we feel is where we want to go.  Having said that, I feel we have some of the best coaches in SE TX.  Sam Moore and Jeff Moye coach our 18's.  Jed McBride/Morgan Walker coach our 16s, as does Derrick Spivey and Jesse Floyd.  Pat Ford coaches our 14s.  While these aren't the only qualified coaches in SE TX, I feel we have some exceptional paid coaches.

Bottom line, there is no cookie cutter approach to select ball.  There are teams established for a variety of reasons.  Having been through this, I would suggest finding an organization that best meets your child's needs.  There are a number of great organizations out there (GTB in Orange County, TPX Baseball in Dayton, Bullet Baseball in Lake Charles are just a few).  I am not saying we are the best, just another option for our local kids.  In fact, it is difficult to identify a "best" organization or team because there are a lot of variations of select.  The "best" team or organization is the one that best suits your child.  If you had a bad experience with one.  Look around to find another that best suits your child.  They are out there.  Believe me. 

If you want to have a discussion about the merits of select or want to learn more about our organization and what we went through to date, feel free to call me or IM me.  I am willing to help others find a team or build their organization based on the mistakes and successes we have made.

Dave Morrow-658-9279
Gladiator Baseball

[quote name="bmtball" post="730643" timestamp="1260877949"]
Clearly, Select takes many forms that is difficult to put into one category.  Yes, you do have glorified league teams out there that take their little league or pony league all-stars and place them on a weekend travelling team.  Yes, you have paid coaches who are not much better than a non-paid coach, and yes, you do have organizations that focus on wins and not the child.  It is impossible to lump them all in to one category.  But please 78 Stang and Mid county madness, don't disparage all select teams due to your negative experiences with one.

Last summer, I started the Gladiator Baseball Organization for high school age kids.  I worked in conjunction with Morgan Walker, to give his younger Gladiators and other local kids, an opportunity to play travelling summer ball at the high school level.  Our sole focus is to prepare our kids for the next level, whatever that may be.  For example, the focus of 14s is to better prepare them for high school ball (60/90).  Our 15s and 16s our focus is to better prepare them for varsity high school ball.  Our 17s & 18s, to better prepare them for college ball AND to get them exposure with college scouts.  We carefully choose tournaments where we feel there will be exceptional competition, so our kids can face better teams and better pitching.  I could care less whether we win tournaments.  Yes, I want to see our kids play well and up to their potential, but we do not win at all costs. 

We have a player conduct policy that we implemented this year.  If a player does not have the grades (yes, we monitor grades), or has off-field behavior that is detrimental to the player or the team, then we punish the player accordingly.  To address the assertion that select is only for the rich, we charge $100 per month.  We fundraise for the rest.  We do not turn people away for an inability to pay.  However, we expect players and parents to fill in for their lack of pay with volunteerism of some sort to the organization.  Playing for any team is a privelege, not a right.  We want all kids to respect that through helping out in one way or another.  So, no, select ball is not for the upper/middle class, as some have asserted.

Finally, we do pay coaches.  And here is why.  First, I feel a paid coach, at this age group is necessary.  At this age, the game has passed a number of Dad's by.  Paid coaches, in SE TX are former college and pro players.  These coaches have the necessary on-field experience.  Equally as important, they can mentor the kids on the dos and don'ts of the college experience because they have been there before.  Second, I do not like the idea of of a Dad coaching their kid, for obvious reasons.  Third, a paid coach allows the organization to have leverage.  If a coach is not meeting expectations for whatever reason, a paid coach runs the risk of being fired, and their livelihood is hurt.   A volunteer can tell you to shove it because it is just a hobby for them.  Yes, there may be some very qualified volunters, but that is not the direction we feel is where we want to go.  Having said that, I feel we have some of the best coaches in SE TX.  Sam Moore and Jeff Moye coach our 18's.  Jed McBride/Morgan Walker coach our 16s, as does Derrick Spivey and Jesse Floyd.  Pat Ford coaches our 14s.  While these aren't the only qualified coaches in SE TX, I feel we have some exceptional paid coaches.

Bottom line, there is no cookie cutter approach to select ball.  There are teams established for a variety of reasons.  Having been through this, I would suggest finding an organization that best meets your child's needs.  There are a number of great organizations out there (GTB in Orange County, TPX Baseball in Dayton, Bullet Baseball in Lake Charles are just a few).  I am not saying we are the best, just another option for our local kids.  In fact, it is difficult to identify a "best" organization or team because there are a lot of variations of select.  The "best" team or organization is the one that best suits your child.  If you had a bad experience with one.  Look around to find another that best suits your child.  They are out there.  Believe me. 

If you want to have a discussion about the merits of select or want to learn more about our organization and what we went through to date, feel free to call me or IM me.  I am willing to help others find a team or build their organization based on the mistakes and successes we have made.

Dave Morrow-658-9279
Gladiator Baseball
[/quote]

Excellent post....

David I really apreciate your input and honesty. May I say AGAIN, My son did not play select, never wanted to and I have absolutely no problem with any select team, coach or player and no "negative experience". It is a free world and everybody has the choice to do as they like. AGAIN I will remind everyone that this post is about the effect that select baseball has on high school baseball teams. With that being said, let me touch on some of the statments that you have made.
Just how many of these ballplayers that these paid coaches have coached that have been signed to play D1 baseball on full scholorships? You did say that is what the main job for which yall are being paid for.
Monitoring player conduct and grades- Please explain just how that works. Little Johnny's dad pays you $100 a month and you are going to punish him HOW? Make dad pay $200 for flunking school or misbehaving? Tuitor him after practice since yall are all College and high school coaches?- I dont think so. You know as well as I know that you are being paid and that there is no disipline what ever that you can administer. If you did issue punishment, the players would quit or the dad would make them quit and you would have to go get a real job. I pesonally know several of the coaches that you named and do consider them friends with good baseball knowledge, so it not about all of that.
What it IS about, is does any of select baseball help a high school baseball team? I say no. These select coaches cant coach the player in a varsity game, practice or scrimmage. These coaches are not there to talk to school teachers about the kids attitude and grades. They are not there to see that all players on the team mesh, respect each other, teachers and their coaches. They are not there making the tough desission that a high school coach has to make evaluating, disiplining, and monitoring these young men. These coaches get paid by the school district and not paid enough. They are the ones that are doing the real job, usually 12-16 hours every day. Be real- The players that you have now will leave one day and you will recruit another. It does not work that way on a high school baseball team. The coach has to play the hand he is dealt, he cant go and pick up someone else and take their money for the privaledge to play for him. And if the player makes too many errors or strikes out too many times, cut him and get someone else.
When we talk about Select baseball and High School Baseball, there really is no connection at all other than a bat and ball.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    hinab
    Newest Member
    hinab