Who Will Be The Next Barbers Hill HC?

KFDM COOP

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coach Price was one of the more well liked coaches when I played under him in the Skidmore years. I liked him also he has a great football mind. Now did I agree with everything he has done. Well no but who has. I think Coach Price was a great assest to BH and I'm sorry to see him go under these circumstances. He done the best he could with what he had to work with and succeded in all levels. But no matter who you are there isn't a AD/HC out there that will meet everyones expectations until you win State in every sport out there year after year. And so far I havent seen one of them yet. I like to wish Coach Price farewell and let him know he did and outstanding job during his tenure here at BH and that a school is going to be getting one hell of a coach in their near future and wish him luck.

There is no way that people should post who  is on the board, and which way they voted it doesn't matter.  Not everyone is going to be happy with all of the decision that are going to be made.  If you are not happy with the decisions that have been made how about you go run for the school board that way you can have a vote as well. For all of you people that bad mouth Don Price, quit talking behind a computer name how about you reveal urself, and go say something to him or one of the coaches themselves, quit doing it behind a freaking screen name.  For all you people that bad mouth the school board you are no better then the people that bad mouth don price on here. You are doing the samething by talking about the board on a freaking screen name on the internet.  IF SOMEONE IS UNHAPPY WITH THE WAY DON PRICE COACH WHY DONT YOU GO GET UR TEACHER CERTIFICATION AND APPLY FOR THE JOB AND LETS SEE IF YOU CAN DO ANY BETTER (WHICH IS HIGHLY DOUBTFUL THAT YOU CAN) HIS RECORD SPEAKS FOR HIMSELF YAYA I KNOW WHAT UR GONNA SAY "WELL ITS 4A NOW NOT 3A, WELL HOW ABOUT YOU GO GET ALL OF THOSE VICTORIES IN 3A, OH WAIT THAT BECAUSE YOU CAN" FOR ALL OF YOU PEOPLE THAT BAD MOUTH THE BOARD MEMBERS BEHIND A SCREEN NAME WHY DONT YOU RUN FOR THE SCHOOL BOARD, AND SEE IF YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN THE WAY THINGS ARE RUN.  ALL OF YOU PEOPLE BAD MOUTH EACH OTHER AD YET EVERYONE IS DOING TH EXACT SAME. ITS A BUSINESS NO MATTER WHICH WAY YOU LOOK AT IT. AM I SAYING ITS RIGHT NO IM NOT SAYING THAT, AM I SAYING ITS WRONG NO IM NOT SAYING THAT EITHER. ITS JUST THE WAY THINGS GO IN SOCIETY.  IF YOU THINK YOU CAN DO BETTER WELL BRING IT ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why in the world would it not be appropriate to know how your elected officials voted on a specific item?  Aren't they supposed to be the voice of the community?  You are correct in that, if we do not agree with their decisions, we should run for school board.  It would be beneficial to know what their decision was on an individual basis.  That is not cowardice, it is democracy.  If they do not accurately represent the community in their decisions, they should not be in a decision making process in the first place.  I think Don Price put his decisions out for everyone to see on a daily basis.  Why wouldn't we hold the school board to the same standard? 

Guest baytown
are you stupid cougarshow? tell us to go get our degree if we want to coach? ha what a joke because if they dont like what they do tell them to do something else. part of the business and they dont like it DO SOMETHING ELSE. i dont really know coach price that well but that is bs when you say that. life will go on at bh and when they get a new coach and win the will forget about it. where were are you people when price was here is what i want to know?

well so u know baytown where i was.  I was right here in bh going to every single football game played, and every single basketball game played thats where i was. where u at when he was here? and it aint bs to say go get a degree and try to do it better.  Thats how all u people are talking crap talk crap talk crap, and yet NONE OF YOU PEOPLE do anything about it, but talk talk talk talk talk man its getting old.  I was here when price was coach, and i will be here when somebody else becomes the head coach, so you dont worry about where I'm at.  If you feel like telling who are, that way i can tell you specifically that it is being a coward.

Guest baytown
[quote name="cougarshow33" post="720563" timestamp="1259547045"]
well so u know baytown where i was.  I was right here in bh going to every single football game played, and every single basketball game played thats where i was. where u at when he was here? and it aint bs to say go get a degree and try to do it better.  Thats how all u people are talking crap talk crap talk crap, and yet NONE OF YOU PEOPLE do anything about it, but talk talk talk talk talk man its getting old.  I was here when price was coach, and i will be here when somebody else becomes the head coach, so you dont worry about where I'm at.  If you feel like telling who are, that way i can tell you specifically that it is being a coward.
[/quote]

wow dude you a a coach? or were you on prices staff? get a life and what do you want a award?

Guest baytown
[quote name="cougarshow33" post="720564" timestamp="1259547191"]
and when he was here i was on the field playing for him, and every other coach on that staff, so dont question how loyal i was to the man. you dont know me , so dont question me
[/quote]

you are with what is wrong with bh. look how great i am? boy you are a real man. easy to talk crap on a keyboard. if you are not a coach you need to go get your degree if you can spell degree. you have the personality for it. what a joke and no wonder we lost so many games with folks like you playing. ha

u say we lost games? did you play or something or where u in the stands saying "back in my day we won 7 ball games, and almost played in the playoffs" or r u the guy who sat on the bench the whole time whose parents thought that there kid was better then he person starting in front of him? and we didnt lose a ball game when i played district champs my sophomre, junior and senior. So when i was playing we didnt lose anything.  DEGREE DEGREE DEGREE DEGREE DEGREE DEGREE. I had to use spell check, but i think i figured out how to spell it

Guest baytown
[quote name="cougarshow33" post="720585" timestamp="1259548698"]
u say we lost games? did you play or something or where u in the stands saying "back in my day we won 7 ball games, and almost played in the playoffs" or r u the guy who sat on the bench the whole time whose parents thought that there kid was better then he person starting in front of him? and we didnt lose a ball game when i played district champs my sophomre, junior and senior. So when i was playing we didnt lose anything.  DEGREE DEGREE DEGREE DEGREE DEGREE DEGREE. I had to use spell check, but i think i figured out how to spell it
[/quote]

eat a apple.

[quote name="GCMPats" post="719800" timestamp="1259454003"]
[size=14pt]Barbers Hill’s Price: ‘I still want to coach’ [/size]

By Dave Rogers
The Baytown Sun
Published November 28, 2009

Don Price, the second-winningest football coach in Barbers Hill history, said his school district induced him to resign by agreeing to a $153,000 buy-out of the final year and a half remaining on his contract as coach and athletic director.

The resignation of Price, whose 12-year record of 99-35 is second only to the 118-35-5 mark Lloyd Kelly set as BH coach from 1953-1967, was announced by the district Nov. 18.

Price said he intends to leave the school he’s served since 1992 at the end of the fall term.

“I’ve really enjoyed being here,” Price said. “The kids and staff were great. That’s what we do it for.”

Price said the buyout offer grew out of talks with BHISD superintendent Greg Poole that began the week of Barbers Hill’s final regular season game, which was played Oct. 30.

Price, 57, said he was told the school board was unhappy with the state of the Eagle athletic program and had created a position for him as assistant to the district’s assistant superintendent of planning and operations at his current salary of $98,800 per year.

“I still want to coach,” said Price, whose Eagle football teams won six district championships, the last in 2006.

Barbers Hill’s football team won Oct. 30 to qualify for the playoffs, joining the other four fall sports at the school – team tennis, volleyball, boys and girls cross country – in advancing past district play.

Price’s ninth playoff football team in the last 11 years finished the season 5-6 after a 21-7 bidistrict loss to Port Neches-Groves Nov. 13.

Despite never having coached a player who was recruited and signed by a NCAA Division I-A school, Price was 85-19 at BH after the 2006 season and had an overall winning percentage of 81.73, which at the time, ranked second all-time among Southeast Texas football coaches, according to Texas high school football historian Joe Lee Smith.

Only Alex Durley, who led both Beaumont Hebert and Beaumont West Brook to state titles (and was 97-13-3, 87.17 percent), was better.

After going 10-1 in 2006, Barbers Hill’s first season to move up from Class 3A to 4A, the Eagles missed the playoffs for the first time since 1998 when they finished 6-4 in 2007 and 3-6 in 2008.

Currently, Price’s overall winning percentage of 73.88 at Barbers Hill is good enough for 21st all-time in Southeast Texas and No. 9 all-time among those who coached 10 or more seasons in an area that runs from the Louisiana border to Livingston and nearly as far north as Lufkin.

Coaches below Price on the list include Dayton’s Jerry Stewart (72.19 percent) and Bum Phillips (70.12 percent), who coached at both Nederland and Port Neches-Groves.

More than his football team’s success, which included five 10-0 regular seasons (1999-2001, 2005-2006), Price is proud of the success of the entire Eagles athletic program and especially points to the 2006-07 school year.

That’s when Barbers Hill was moved up from Class 3A to 4A and, with a high school enrollment of 963 in a classification for schools ranging from 950 to 1,984 students, won district championship in 14 of the 15 sports in which it competed.

Girls basketball has reached the playoffs each of the 11 seasons Price has been athletic director. The boys track team has won district 10 years in a row and girls track has won district eight of nine years.

The softball team has been in the playoffs nine years in a row, including a trip to the state tournament in 2006, and the baseball team has been in the playoffs eight years in a row. The spring tennis team won eight straight district titles.

During Price’s tenure as AD, Barbers Hill implemented a volleyball program in 2001 that has qualified for the playoffs every year, reaching the state finals in 2003.

Under Price’s tenure, Barbers Hill also implemented middle school academic tutorials, middle school cross country and tennis programs and high school swimming.

“I was never an AD who was just a football coach,” he said. “We tried to have an overall program that offered every player in every sport the opportunity to compete at the highest level.

“I took my tenure as athletic director very seriously. I think if you compare it to the history here, it’s unsurpassed.”

A native of Nederland, Price grew up in the same neighborhood with current Dallas Cowboys coach Wade Phillips, whose father, Bum Phillips, went on to coach the Houston Oilers and New Orleans Saints.

He ran hurdles for the Lamar University track team and began his coaching career at the University of West Georgia. He returned to Texas and was an assistant coach at Troup, Hawkins and Joshua high schools before a two-year stint as head coach at Maypearl.

At Troup and Hawkins, he was on the staff of Kenneth Skidmore, who brought Price to Barbers Hill as his defensive coordinator and head track coach in 1992.

Price’s overall record as high school head coach is 105-48-1. His wife, Cindy, is secondary curriculum director for BHISD and she has a law practice in Mont Belvieu.

“My second year as head coach here we went 12-1 and played in the Astrodome,” Price said. “I learned right then it didn’t silence my critics.

“I learned right then to focus my energy on my kids and my coaching staff. I couldn’t worry about the rest of the stuff. I don’t have the time.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[/quote]

Thanks for the post, don't take the Sun, so I missed the article.

Glad Price got to have his say!!!

Bh has had some D-1 talent, Kenny Robbins back in 1989 or 90. He was the last Football player to be recruited by major Universities.  BH89-2, If a player is good enough he will be recruited. Its not all done by the head coach. Sure they can help a player and push a player that has potential to develop, but a player that is good enough(like Kenny R.) the colleges will find him in spite of the head coach. I know for a fact that Price tried his best to help many players, and we've had several that have received scholarships as of direct result of his help,and my knowledge doesn't come from Price himself. The problem is to many parents don't live in the real world. They believe their little boy is great because of what he did in Jr. High or on JV. When I played,something that one of our coaches told us right from the start is, 1% of high school players get college scholarships, and out of those, 1% make it to the NFL. He told us to work hard, try to improve, and have fun, if your good enough to get a scholarship Great!  But we should focus on, supporting the team, whether on the field or off, and be content with being a part of a team effort and building memories that we'd take with us the rest of our lives. You know, we had two or three that went to Jr colleges and one that got a four year ride(I can't remember where) but the majority of us never put on a helmet again after our last game...but we do have some great memories. He wasn't telling us not to try to be better, he wanted us to succeed, but he let us know that not all of us ran a 4.3 or 4.4, - 40, nor were we 6-5, 280lbs. I've heard this junk about how Price never tried to get his players scholarships, over and over again. I think to many parents(Not All) are not truthful with themselves or their kids. Its the world we live in now, that even when little Johnny poops his pants at 13 years old, he's told what a wonderful job he did, like he was 6months old. Price, and all coaches are in a no win situation, in my opinion.

Old Sarge, I agree. The school board meetings are open to the public, because its our money they are spending. We should be able to know any and all information about whats been done. The problem is, none of us(and I put myself on the top of the list) attend board meeting the way we should...they can do what ever and never be challenged.

[quote name="oldsarge777" post="720421" timestamp="1259529963"]
Someone who knows, please post BH board members and how they stood on this issue.  Also, who is up for re-election this year.  Thank you.  
[/quote]

I don't know how anyone voted on anything but here are the board members and what I do know.
Fred Skinner (president)
Carmena Goss (vice president)
George Barrera (secretary)
Joe Presnall (up for reelection this next election I think)
Becky Tice (elected this last election)
Ronnie Mayfield (elected this last election)
Benny May (elected last year)

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="BHBrave08" post="720699" timestamp="1259567295"]
[quote author=oldsarge777 link=topic=62612.msg720421#msg720421 date=1259529963]
Someone who knows, please post BH board members and how they stood on this issue.  Also, who is up for re-election this year.  Thank you.  
[/quote]

I don't know how anyone voted on anything but here are the board members and what I do know.
Fred Skinner (president)
Carmena Goss (vice president)
George Barrera (secretary)
Joe Presnall (up for reelection this next election I think)
Becky Tice (elected this last election)
Ronnie Mayfield (elected this last election)
Benny May (elected last year)
[/quote]

Most school board meetings are public record. The attached link is to BHISD's website. The last two meetings minutes have not been added for some reason.

http://www.boardbook.org/apps/bbv2/public/index.cfm?memberkey=0036902

All this talk about BH not having any D1 players,  WHY NOT TRY coaching all kids as if they have the ability to be a D1 player! Instead of telling the kids that BH does not have any D1 athletes….
Maybe we need some new blood on the Hill, to bring in some fresh ideas and a new mind set. ;)

[quote name="cougarshow33" post="720564" timestamp="1259547191"]
and when he was here i was on the field playing for him, and every other coach on that staff, so dont question how loyal i was to the man. you dont know me , so dont question me
[/quote]

Please take your meds.  ;)

[quote name="Stranger" post="720890" timestamp="1259604475"]
kindafunny, that may be one of the most ridiculous statements I have ever read on here.  Believe me, every kid has been coached.  And a question for you...how do you coach a kid "as if they have the ability to be a D1 player"? 
[/quote]

YOU encourage, inspire and teach with positive reinforcement! :)

[quote name="kindafunny" post="720907" timestamp="1259606357"]
[quote author=Stranger link=topic=62612.msg720890#msg720890 date=1259604475]
kindafunny, that may be one of the most ridiculous statements I have ever read on here.  Believe me, every kid has been coached.  And a question for you...how do you coach a kid "as if they have the ability to be a D1 player"? 
[/quote]

YOU encourage, inspire and teach with positive reinforcement! :)
[/quote]
You can't coach natural speed.
You can't coach natural athletic ability.
Great coaching can improve players, but...
If you line up and around 5 of the players on the other side of the ball are just quicker than your guys, and maybe have a little more talent, odds are you will lose.
Just ask PN-G when they faced Brenham.
You people in Barbers Hill just pushed out a great coach.
Just seeing what Barbers Hill has in it's system now from 7th to 11th grade, Barbers Hill will be competitive in football, but a deep playoff run is probably not in the opting for a long time, regardless of the coach.
Good luck in finding a new coach, if he knows the parents he is going to be involved with, he might just look elsewhere.

Guest GCMPats
You can coach and inspire until the cows come home. At the end of the day, D1 coaches and recruiters (along with a little thing called genetics) will still be the only factors that determine if you have D1 talent.

D1 recruits do not define wether you have a successful program or not. Coach Price ran a good, clean program that was respected in and around the Houston area. Based on that, he was successful.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83