Is former Newton now Kville D-coordinator WT Johnston the best in SETX?

Guest Jmeek

Is WT the best D-COORDINATOR in Southeast Texas, After building a great Defense in Newton for two decades.WT now building a great D in Kville in his first year as Coordinator

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just for the record kibyville had a great defence last year, but they have a great one this year too... we have alot of player on defence that were there last year too....so does that make him a great dc or does he just have a talented group of kids.... after all jasper made a big come back on us...just something to think about... don't get me wrong i think he is doing a good job

[quote name="SHSTIGER" post="687427" timestamp="1256618940"]
I'm not including him in the conversation now but Silsbee's DC Hickman will be in it with a couple of more years of experience. IMO
[/quote]

You really think a couple of more years puts him in Coach T's class?

Guest checkmate
If he is not the best, then he has be in the top 3. The job he did in Newton was incredible..and now he is doing the same in Kirbyville. One cannot argue success.

I think WT is the area, even better than Cornel.  Go back to the past 7 years, since K-ville has been a playoff team and look at how many shutouts they have had.  Then look at how many shutouts he has this year.  And he's doing it this year with about 8 or 9 new starters on defense.

Also look at his defenses at Newton.  In Newton's first year without him they give up 40 to Orangefield.  WT is a difference maker whereever he goes.

Guest ~old_wildcat~
[quote name="BoboandBlair" post="687454" timestamp="1256643031"]
I think WT is the area, even better than Cornel.  Go back to the past 7 years, since K-ville has been a playoff team and look at how many shutouts they have had.  Then look at how many shutouts he has this year.  And he's doing it this year with about 8 or 9 new starters on defense.

Also look at his defenses at Newton.  In Newton's first year without him they give up 40 to Orangefield.  WT is a difference maker whereever he goes.
[/quote]

Newton also Gave Up [b]17 Points [/b] To Hemphill.... Kirbyville Blanked Them : [b]49 / 0[/b]

[quote name="td" post="687429" timestamp="1256621958"]
[quote author=SHSTIGER link=topic=61399.msg687427#msg687427 date=1256618940]
I'm not including him in the conversation now but Silsbee's DC Hickman will be in it with a couple of more years of experience. IMO
[/quote]

You really think a couple of more years puts him in Coach T's class?
[/quote]

I wasn't saying that WT isn't in his class. He has a proven record that stands on it's on.

Who's defense are they running?  Who's putting together the gameplan?  If I remember correctly K-ville also has an offensive coordinator, but Alvarez calls the plays.  Sometimes the title is just a title.

Not taking anything away from Vanya though, the guys a great coach and will be a head coach again as soon as he wants to be.  IMO Kirbyville has the best coaching staff in the area regardless of classification.

Remember Gulley is a former player and coach from Newton. He played FS and Wr For Newton back during the 3A 1998 state championship VS Dangerfield 21-0 another WT shutout.

[quote name="bassman" post="687572" timestamp="1256654917"]
How was coach T's defense when he left wos to become a head coach.
[/quote]How can you compare his job as a DC to his defense when he was a head coach? That is two different job positions. Thats like me asking u about your job as a cart pusher when u got moved up to cashier. Coach T has put up some of the best D numbers in this area for numerous years.

Guest ~old_wildcat~
[quote name="Ron Burgundy" post="688066" timestamp="1256683021"]
[quote author=cats55 link=topic=61399.msg687548#msg687548 date=1256652783]
Gary Vanya is the DC, and a good one at that. Johnston along with another former Newton boy, Rod Gulley, coach the DB's
[/quote]

So how can he be the best defensive coordinator in SETX if he isn't even a defensive coordinator??
[/quote]

Actually,He's a Defensive Coach In A Secondary And Line Backers Suit...Hard To Tell Unless You Know What To Look For... ;D

Bottom line is the knowledge that he brings to the table to help Vanya is worth it's weight in gold.  Add Rod Gulley (played under WT and went on to start and star at McNeese...not to mention picking me off in a game against them in HS! ;D) and you have a scary group of defensive minded coaches running rough shot in Kville!  Just think...they are a heavy Jr laden team.

As for Alvarez he has input into the calls on offense....Neece is the O-Coordinator....they both work great together calling plays.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    pngbaseball33
    Newest Member
    pngbaseball33