Texpreps Magazine's District Picks (23-1A added)

I have come out of hibernation from this board to bring some information for yall to read and discuss.  I just got my Texpreps Magazine today so i thought i'd share the picks with yall.  What do you think of them? agree, disagree?  A side note also, there is an article about Bridge City and Hurricane Ike if anyone wants to pick up the magazine to read that.  If you want to see the rest of the picks for east Texas along with the top 10s from every class, you can go to this link.

This is the hidden content, please

25-1A-II

1. Goodrich

2. Brookeland

3. Leggett

4. Apple Springs

5. Chireno

6. Chester

7. Groveton Centerville

23-1A

1. Big Sandy

2. Grapeland

3. Alto

4. Lovelady

5. Latexo

24-1A

1. Broaddus

2. West Sabine

3. Martinsville

4. Zavalla

5. Colmesneil

6. Burkeville

25-1A

1. Spurger

2. Sabine Pass

3. Evadale

4. Hull Daisetta

5. West Hardin

6. High Island

21-2A

1. New Waverly

2. Buffalo

3. Trinity

4. Corrigan Camden

5. Onalaska

6. Centerville

7. Anderson Shiro

8. Groveton

22-2A

1. Newton

2. Shelbyville

3. San Augustine

4. Woodville

5. Kirbyville

6. Hemphill

23-2A

1. Kountze

2. East Chambers

3. Anahuac

4. Deweyville

5. Hardin

6. Buna

7. Warren

18-3A

1. Hudson

2. Rusk

3. Center

4. Carthage

5. Huntington

6. Jasper

7. Diboll

8. Central

21-3A

1. Silsbee

2. Hardin Jefferson

3. West Orange Stark

4. Orangefield

5. Bridge City

6. Hamshire Fannett

22-3A

1. Cleveland

2. Coldspring

3. Liberty

4. Shepherd

5. Huffman

6. Splendora

7. Tarkington

19-4A

1. Kingwood Park

2. CE King

3. North Forest

4. Crosby

5. Galena Park

6. Barbers Hill

7. Goose Creek Memorial

8. Dayton

20-4A

1. Ozen

2. Central

3. Nederland

4. LCM

5. Livingston

6. PNG

7. Lumberton

8. Vidor

21-5A

1. PA Memorial

2. North Shore

3. Channelview

4. Baytown Sterling

5. West Brook

6. Baytown Lee

State rankings:

4A- 7-Ozen

3A- 3-Cleveland

3A- 4-Silsbee

3A- 6-HJ

2A- 2-New Waverly

2A- 4-Kountze

1A-II- 3-Goodrich (Laneville & Slocum are 1,2)

1A-II- 10-Leggett

I have come out of hibernation from this board to bring some information for yall to read and discuss.  I just got my Texpreps Magazine today so i thought i'd share the picks with yall.  What do you think of them? agree, disagree?  A side note also, there is an article about Bridge City and Hurricane Ike if anyone wants to pick up the magazine to read that.  If you want to see the rest of the picks for east Texas along with the top 10s from every class, you can go to this link.

This is the hidden content, please

25-1A-II

1. Goodrich

2. Brookeland

3. Leggett

4. Apple Springs

5. Chireno

6. Chester

7. Groveton Centerville

24-1A

1. Broaddus

2. West Sabine

3. Martinsville

4. Zavalla

5. Colmesneil

6. Burkeville

25-1A

1. Spurger

2. Sabine Pass

3. Evadale

4. Hull Daisetta

5. West Hardin

6. High Island

21-2A

1. New Waverly

2. Buffalo

3. Trinity

4. Corrigan Camden

5. Onalaska

6. Centerville

7. Anderson Shiro

8. Groveton

22-2A

1. Newton

2. Shelbyville

3. San Augustine

4. Woodville

5. Kirbyville

6. Hemphill

23-2A

1. Kountze

2. East Chambers

3. Anahuac

4. Deweyville

5. Hardin

6. Buna

7. Warren

18-3A

1. Hudson

2. Rusk

3. Center

4. Carthage

5. Huntington

6. Jasper

7. Diboll

8. Central

21-3A

1. Silsbee

2. Hardin Jefferson

3. West Orange Stark

4. Orangefield

5. Bridge City

6. Hamshire Fannett

22-3A

1. Cleveland

2. Coldspring

3. Liberty

4. Shepherd

5. Huffman

6. Splendora

7. Tarkington

19-4A

1. Kingwood Park

2. CE King

3. North Forest

4. Crosby

5. Galena Park

6. Barbers Hill

7. Goose Creek Memorial

8. Dayton

20-4A

1. Ozen

2. Central

3. Nederland

4. LCM

5. Livingston

6. PNG

7. Lumberton

8. Vidor

21-5A

1. PA Memorial

2. North Shore

3. Channelview

4. Baytown Sterling

5. West Brook

6. Baytown Lee

State rankings:

4A- 7-Ozen

3A- 3-Cleveland

3A- 4-Silsbee

3A- 6-HJ

2A- 2-New Waverly

2A- 4-Kountze

1A-II- 3-Goodrich (Laneville & Slocum are 1,2)

1A-II- 10-Leggett

Hey nikes is spurger,bigsandy or sabine pass ranked in 1A-I

To answer a few questions about earlier comments in this thread, no Spurger, BS, or SP are not ranked in the top 10.  I only posted the teams listed in the top 10.  I would check TABC's top 20 rankings that come out sometime this month.  I imagine 1 or 2 of those teams could be ranked, i dont know about Big Sandy, they lost some starters from last year.  The reason for the difference between the rankings for Slocum and Laneville ranked in state and district have to do with the voting.  The coaches around the state voted for Laneville ahead of Slocum but the coaches in Slocums district voted Slocum to win the district.  This magazine is done by RV Baugus, i believe he is the only one involved in it.  He asks all the coaches to send in info for their team and district so he can put this magazine together.  You can usually tell by reading each team preview whether or not a coach sent him some info on their team.  I imagine some districts he doesnt get very much information so you cant really blame him if the predictions dont seem accurate.  Most of them i think you may disagree on a few teams but i think overall he does a pretty good job.

Guess they just look at 21-3a and keep it the same every year.  No way that HJ shuld be ranked in state, believe they will have hard time scoring points this season if the summer was any indication.  I realize that it was just summer but if you look at them they just don't have near the talent that they have had in the past.  The lack of outside shooting will also hurt them as teams will be able to pack it in on them making it very difficult for Turner to drive the ball.  WOS has looked better everytime that I see them play and they could be tough.  I guess that is why we play the games so we will see who lives up to the hype and who does not.

I just want to say that Wildcatter is SPOT ON.  HJ will have ZERO outside shooting this year, they talent level is down to nothing, and those eight returners off of last years team have refused to improve at all.  It will be a long year in Sour Lake as the Hawks struggle to win 10 games much less make the playoffs.  Wilcatter is right....no way they deserve to be ranked.

is it true that HJ might have to bring up a couple of kids from the 8th grade squad just to fill out their roster?

Easy nos, after looking at posts this is just another OF fan mad at HJ:

Still not sold on Turner.  Last year he was third player and more people focused on the other 2.  What I have observed so far with him being HJ go to player is not that great.  I agree he is good defensive player and would put him top 25 but not overall player.  He will have to beat top players from other team this year instead of other defenders and just don't think he has that skill set.  He will get his points of steals etc but not as much in half court game.

Turner is very good defender just not a guy that is going to take over a game like they have had in the past. Not a great shooter and tries to attack the rim.  Saw him shoot 5 air balls in the Silsbee game at the tourney.  I would rate him as one of the better defenders in the district however.

Good list but based on what I have seen dont think Turner should be on the list.

Our basketball kids run cross country to stay in shape and nos I think yours do as well.

Of course, this makes me think he is a coach which doesn't speak well for OF coaches to be talking like this.

Don't think jv has anything to do with it.  The guys that are coming back for OF were the top players just had alot of seniors on this years team so split alot of minutes.  The reason Ricossa and some of those guys had big nights was because teams had to focus on the scorers so of course they get some points, but they are not the ones that beat you.  Don't see much help from HJ jV as we beat them badly both times.  I agree that Silsbee still has tough team but not a lot of shooters or playmaker which allows you to sag on the big guys and force them to beat you from outside.  In the past they could do that, not so sure about this year.  Should be a wide open district with alot of splits.  JMO.

OF will contend for the district title.  They lose angelle but will have 5 sr's who played alot of minutes this year.  If they can play together they are the most talented sr class to come through OF in many years.

I will be very surprised to see HJ make to regionals.  I think they might win first game but that is it.  I am not being negative they just have to be on their game from here on out and I have not really seen that this season.  Good luck to them.

Nothing personal about the kid just stating his performance on the court.  All of the comments around the big 3 talk about his performance and he just did not perform in the games that I have seen him in this year.  Ricossa has been much more of a factor that Burrell has in the games that I have seen

Maybe the reason is the fact that when you go to HJ there is a feeling that you always have to beat 7.  It is amazing that when you have an impartial crew there that Silsbee rolls over HJ.  Coach Williams knew exactly what he was doing by requesting UIL officials.  Referees do not cost teams a game but they can sure impact it.

HJ does not not have great shooting team, they have a very streaky player that can shoot.

Of course, this post gives it away pretty much:

The OF 13 and 14 year old boys are looking for games either home or away to get ready for the tournament.  Please call Jack @ 409-779-9009 if you are interested.

Haters will be haters!

I just want to say that Wildcatter is SPOT ON.  HJ will have ZERO outside shooting this year, they talent level is down to nothing, and those eight returners off of last years team have refused to improve at all.  It will be a long year in Sour Lake as the Hawks struggle to win 10 games much less make the playoffs.  Wilcatter is right....no way they deserve to be ranked.

Touchy, touchy.

Sarcasm at it's best.

I watched HJ a few games this summer and I'll say this about them............ :-X ;) ;D

Wildcatter and just what is your opinion of the 2009-10 District Picks?  I am anxious to hear your opinion.  I will give you mine once you give us yours.

How do you figure that HJ should not be state ranked?  Because they lost Jarvis and Trey.  Sure they lost a ton, but they had one of the bet JV's in district last year and had two of the best Freshman players that will both be on Varsity this year.  Please I am begging you to convince Coach Wrinkle to pack it in against the Hawks this year.  PLEASE!!!! 

LAZEEK, you trying to make a point or something? ;)

BTW, how long did it take you to research all those quotes? ;D

Actually not long at all!!! ;) ;) ;)

When I see someone post something ridiculous on this message board that pertains to my Hawks I copy and paste it into a folder on my laptop for easy access. ;D ;D ;D  You have several quotes in it!!! :D :D

Did not mean that they were not a good team but not a state ranked team.  Every team in the district will have their own set of challenges this year.  Silsbee is big but lose there great shooters, still athletic and will be a huge match up problem.  HJ as I said has Turner but from what I watched this summer struggled with the outside shots as they have difficulty creating their own shots.  I even remember a game wher they did not score double figures in the half.  They will always be good due to the how well they can create points off of the press and how well they run it but don't have the luxury as in past years of the big scorer having an off night. I think as Turner goes so goes the Hawks. As far as the jv guys we did split with them last year and if they would have been that great we wuld have seen them up there last year.  OF will have to learn to work better as a team and lack the size to match up with teams with a big post.  They also have to learn to me more patient on offense.  Shooting can be an issue sometimes if they are not on as they rely on the 3 to score.  See I can actually talk about improvements needed for the Bobcats.  WOS is the biggest wildcard because in the past they could beat you with the athletes, now they have improved their shooting which makes it more difficult to pack it in against them.  I think that the top four are correct just not so sure of that order.  I think it will come down to who can protect at home and steal a couple on the road.  I also believe that with the top four it could be the most competitive that it has been in the last few years.  Bottom line lazeek and nos you have a good team will just have to wait and see if it is truly a state caliber team.

Exactly how many times did you see HJ play this summer?  My guess is you are basing it off what you saw at the Silsbee tournament simply because that is the ONLY time and place HJ and OF played at the same site this summer.  Keep in mind HJ never suited up more than 7 kids in that tournament.

Also, I remember a time about two years ago where everyone thought HJ would be way down because they couldn't replace Donahoe.

Don't be so sensitive, I'll retract everything then, HJ will win the state tourney, all the kids will sign to play div 1 and wind up playing for the dream team which is coached by the HJ staff.  Since it is impossible to say anything other than that without you guys feeling offended I will leave it at that.  I forgot that unless you are prasing the Hawks you must be an idiot.  Good luck and take his whistle!

No need for sarcasm!!!  HJ does not need your support.  Also last year when "you split with HJ's JV" they played with 5 kids in OF.  1 of which was a normal starter.  The others were sick and one had a broken hand.  So take your split for what it is worth.

Are you a coach at OF.....I hope not because I know Ray and I know that he would not hang around someone like you portray yourself to be on this board.

no, please don't stop giving your opinion of HJ and please, please, please, don't stop making predictions of how they'll do.  PRETTY PLEASE!  DONT STOP!

The last prediction you made was that they would not make the regional tourney.  We know how that turned out.  Please, I beg you, don't stop making your predictions.

No need for sarcasm!!!  HJ does not need your support.  Also last year when "you split with HJ's JV" they played with 5 kids in OF.  1 of which was a normal starter.  The others were sick and one had a broken hand.  So take your split for what it is worth.

Are you a coach at OF.....I hope not because I know Ray and I know that he would not hang around someone like you portray yourself to be on this board.

LAZEEK,need to calm down, sounding a little like the old DV :D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder