**UPDATE on: Premier Tournament - Alternative to ASA Gold Nationals

Mc

Is anyone aware of the event listed below. I got the article from SPYSOFTBALL.COM.  

SPY received this flyer from Gary Haning, a principal organizer/sponsor of a new softball tournament for summer 2010.  Many details have yet to be announced, but, SPY has been informed by coaches of many Gold-level teams that they plan to attend this event, as an alternative to next year’s ASA Gold Nationals.  To date, the indication has been that the two events will occur within the same time frame, but today’s announcement does not contain a date.  A web site is being developed.  Permits for the fields have been secured (principally, the Mile Square complex in Orange County.

A key issue raised by many Gold coaches at Boulder and again at Champions Cup concerns ASA rules of eligibility for players to compete on ASA national teams, eg, the 2011 Junior World.  Tryouts for Junior World will be held next summer by ASA.  SPY has been told by some senior ASA commissioners that a team which competes in ASA qualifying tournaments but does not qualify for Nationals is eligible, and, that a team which does qualify for Nationals but does not accept the berth is still eligible for purposes of national teams.  However, those same commissioners say that a team which accepts a Gold berth is bound to play ASA Nationals or its players will not be considered for National teams.  SPY has asked ASA national headquarters for a definitive ruling and anticipates this ruling will be made public at the Gold managers meeting August 2.

Apparently the tournament will be an invitation only tournament. If it makes with success it would tend to water down ASA Gold Nationals with most of the top tier CA teams staying to play at home as well as national perennial powerhouses following suit. Will be interesting to see how they come up with their invite list from year to year.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Sports Reporter

The invite list has already been formulated with initial invites out there.  It will be almost like the Boulder Indy tournament (many of the same names) with just a handful of teams being new invites each year.

Guest Sports Reporter

This will concentrate even more of the softball power in California. Not sure that is a good thing.

It's a popular movement even among "the" Texas teams JohnnyT.  Those selected by Gary Haning and Co. will know their summer schedule in advance and won't be spending the thousands of dollars neccesary to claim that coveted and elusive berth to Gold Nationals.  Some Gold teams traveled to Atlanta, Tulsa and finally to San Antonio this summer.  Some lucky (and talented) few made it, some didn't.  The teams that have the talent that college coaches seek are well known and will be invited to the California tournament.  Texas teams will be well represented.  This groundswell didn't just start, Gary has been working on it for a couple of years.

Sure ASA is scrambling to not let this exposure tournament happen.  Will be interesting.

They both have advantages and disadvantages. The problem I see with the new is that it will be a good ole boys club, and nearly impossible for a new yet talented team to get in. The positive is that it will weed out some of the teams that are in a little over their head. The problem with ASA is that currently they let anyone in a Gold tournament, the positive is, if you are good enough, you can get in. I hope there is some way to balance the two. It sounds as if ASA is actually aiding this action to me. I had heard about this time last year, and I also heard Haning was even more vocal this year.

Guest Sports Reporter

I heard a lot of the California teams are leaving gold.

Gary Haning is the Pied Piper of California Gold ball.  He and his team,  The OC Batbusters have won ASA Gold Nationals many times and he is well known and mostly respected throughout the country and for sure most of california.  If he swings this move it will change the national select softball scene forever.

Check out some of Gary's guest coaches on this site

http://www.eteamz.com/batbusters/

We talked to a couple of the California teams and they were all pretty upset about ASA Gold. For one they have to all play in a GOLD Pre-qualifier at the end of August and the top 20 teams get to be classified as "GOLD" teams for the upcoming season, the others can not play in Gold tournaments. Maybe this added fuel to the fire, I don't know. I would hate to know you had to have tryouts in the middle of August then qualify at the end of August to be able to play gold.

We talked to a couple of the California teams and they were all pretty upset about ASA Gold. For one they have to all play in a GOLD Pre-qualifier at the end of August and the top 20 teams get to be classified as "GOLD" teams for the upcoming season, the others can not play in Gold tournaments. Maybe this added fuel to the fire, I don't know. I would hate to know you had to have tryouts in the middle of August then qualify at the end of August to be able to play gold.

That makes no sense! I'm certainly not questioning what they told you but, why would ASA "Gold" have different qualifying requirements for different regions? I'm not in the know so I'm just asking.

Guest Sports Reporter

Maybe California got fed up with every mom and pop team that fielded a team after they turned 16U sticking "Gold" after their name.  Maybe it's their way as JohnnyT said of weeding out "the teams that are in a little over their head."

It would be nice if they could strike a happy medium. I personally thought there were too many teams in the SA qualifier. So maybe some kind of tiered qualification is a good idea. But I still like the idea of everyone having a chance. We'll just have to wait and see. I am not sure how much local ASA orgs can dictate the process. I do know nothing happens in Texas without Stoney's blessing. So maybe what will end up is several region champions and no Nat'l champions.

All very good points. I have a few comments. I feel that Gold softball in the Houston area is and has been a good ole boys club. There is the holy trinity (Impact, Eclipse, Power) and then there is everyone else. Events at Spring Klein are held for this club. You may asked to attend as a guest, but you will never be asked to join. Spoke with someone last night who is going to Cali to meet with Gary Haning about the sanctioning of this proposed event. Very interesting, ASA certainly won't be the sanctioning body. I understand Mr. Haning is very rich, so he probably doesn't need any help. So where will this leave the good ole boys? Will ASA ban them if they take part in this event? Since they only play Gold qualifiers and invitational (private club only) exposure events (all ASA sanctioned) where will they play? A series of 6 of Vito Lampl's round robins might get a little boring. Texas and California are the most Gold crazy states, so that's where the huge qualifier problems exist. I was surprised this past week at the IFA to hear from some marginal teams that they would be staying closer to home next year and not play a full blown Gold schedule. So until the Gold qualifiers move back to Texas this problem may take care of itself somewhat. Usually in any sport when a division gets too crowded, another one is formed. Gold and Super Gold or Gold and Silver anyone?

All very good points. I have a few comments. I feel that Gold softball in the Houston area is and has been a good ole boys club. There is the holy trinity (Impact, Eclipse, Power) and then there is everyone else. Events at Spring Klein are held for this club. You may asked to attend as a guest, but you will never be asked to join. Spoke with someone last night who is going to Cali to meet with Gary Haning about the sanctioning of this proposed event. Very interesting, ASA certainly won't be the sanctioning body. I understand Mr. Haning is very rich, so he probably doesn't need any help. So where will this leave the good ole boys? Will ASA ban them if they take part in this event? Since they only play Gold qualifiers and invitational (private club only) exposure events (all ASA sanctioned) where will they play? A series of 6 of Vito Lampl's round robins might get a little boring. Texas and California are the most Gold crazy states, so that's where the huge qualifier problems exist. I was surprised this past week at the IFA to hear from some marginal teams that they would be staying closer to home next year and not play a full blown Gold schedule. So until the Gold qualifiers move back to Texas this problem may take care of itself somewhat. Usually in any sport when a division gets too crowded, another one is formed. Gold and Super Gold or Gold and Silver anyone?

I'm not sure that sanctioning is an issue at all.  I see no need to have any softball sanctioning body involved in this event at all.  The only thing "ASA sanctioned" about a tournament like Ronald McDonald, for instance, is that it is played at an ASA sanctioned park.  It's just a matter of inviting the teams and college coaches and playing ball.  It's been my experience that governing bodies have a way of screwing things up with too much bureaucracy anyway.

Sponsorship is something else.  There probably won't be a shortage of equipment manufacturers or others (Triple Crown Sports, NFCA, etc.) interested in attaching their name to this.  I'm sure Mr. Haning, no matter how rich he is, would welcome their involvement.

As far as ASA banning teams that go, why would the teams care?  They have chosen to do this INSTEAD of going to ASA Gold Nationals.  Why would they play in qualifiers anyway?

I think my point was, where will they play. Without the Gold Qualifiers, it doesn't leave them with much of a schedule. What about Ronald McDonald? Will Spring Klein no longer be a ASA park. As far as ASA parks go, isn't it usually up to the ASA commissioner who plays there. Don't forget in the early days of AFA, they payed at Collins Park.

I think my point was, where will they play. Without the Gold Qualifiers, it doesn't leave them with much of a schedule. What about Ronald McDonald? Will Spring Klein no longer be a ASA park. As far as ASA parks go, isn't it usually up to the ASA commissioner who plays there. Don't forget in the early days of AFA, they payed at Collins Park.

I'm not sure that all teams that currently play at the RM are ASA sanctioned teams.  Maybe Jonathon requires it, but I don't know.  Spring Klein is one of the only parks that won't allow other sanctioning bodies to host tournaments at their facility.  Dyess, Katy, and others have hosted AFA, USFA, and IFA tournaments in the past.  There shouldn't be a shortage of places for these "wayward" teams to get together.

....... I was surprised this past week at the IFA to hear from some marginal teams that they would be staying closer to home next year and not play a full blown Gold schedule. So until the Gold qualifiers move back to Texas this problem may take care of itself somewhat. Usually in any sport when a division gets too crowded, another one is formed. Gold and Super Gold or Gold and Silver anyone?

This past year's "gold" schedule would have only consisted of anywhere from 1 to 4 tournaments. If this thing goes off as planned I doubt you'd see as many teams chasing qualifications in far off tournaments (i.e. Tx teams traveling to Ga territorial this past June where 26 of the 52 teams were from Tx). The ASA Gold Nationals would lose a lot of its prestige and may not be worth the effort/expense.  Although, I could be wrong. More teams may decide to jump on the opportunity to play in more diluted tournaments to qualify. Don't know if it would be practical, but there ought to be procedure to qualify to become a gold team each year prior to the national qualifier tournaments. The rest could compete as 18U.

Guest Sports Reporter

I feel that Gold softball in the Houston area is and has been a good ole boys club. There is the holy trinity (Impact, Eclipse, Power) and then there is everyone else. Events at Spring Klein are held for this club. You may asked to attend as a guest, but you will never be asked to join...................................... I was surprised this past week at the IFA to hear from some marginal teams that they would be staying closer to home next year and not play a full blown Gold schedule.

Why would you be asked to join if you have a marginal team?  Colleges know there is college talent from those 3 teams.  

Also I would add Storm-Durham, TX Magic, TX Hawks to the good ole boy list and a couple of more (Storm-Dixon and Sudden Impact [b4 Kirchberg left] had good fields at RM)  TX Aces have made huge strides.

The Ronald McDonald has been around for awhile.  It grew out of sweat and hardwork from a group of individuals at SK, why shouldn't they reap the rewards?  There are opportunities for other communities, softball organizations and know-it-all's to build their own exposure tournies.  People love to b!tch about the RM but they beat down Lampl's door every year to get in it.  I have a solution, try out for a team that is on the accepted list.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami

• We'll see. I don't trust us. 
    • Starting pitching has been shaky the last few weeks due to some injuries outside of Hagen Smith.  He goes tomorrow, so y’all should be fine 
    • Manchin may get it but any mention of the radical left that wanted to get rid of the filibuster and end almost 220 years of history because the Democrats are mad?  The House and Senate are obviously different legislative bodies with entirely different election processes and rules for a reason. The House can vote on laws with a simple majority vote. The Senate put rules in place that it would make it much tougher to pass laws. Laws should be difficult to pass. The Senate is often the holdup of the right and left. It takes 60 votes to break the filibuster so any law will almost certainly require agreement at least in part, from opposing sides of an issue. Because they can’t get laws passed, the radical left is like a baby having a tantrum and wants to change over 200 years of history and make it potentially ridiculously easy to pass laws. I have seen current poll maps and it is possible for the Republicans to sweep into complete power in November but by the tiniest margin. That would possibly mean that a single vote margin in both houses could enact what you might call the radical right laws. There would be nothing that the Democrats could do to stop any legislation whatsoever if the left (they are all radical, minus Manchin) got their filibuster rule changed.  That is where the current filibuster comes into play as any new law would require several Democrats to agree with the majority Republicans and vice versa.  Do you want the potential for your radical right to have free rein as the radical left wants by killing the filibuster or is the radical left just as (if not more) dangerous? Let’s see if we have a history in this area? Oh yeah, the Democrats changed the rules in the Senate to allow federal judges to not have to overcome the filibuster. Obama was not getting his federal judge nominations passed and being angry, they changed the rules instead of nominating more moderate justices. They were warned that it would come back to bite them. They didn’t care and chose the nuclear option to change the rules. Oops! Any guess how Trump got all of his Supreme Court nominees passed against strong Democrat opposition? The Democrats got rid of the filibuster for federal judges after another tantrum   So when you are so worried about the radical right, are you equally concerned in what the radical left is always doing by changing rules and history which were put into place just for situations like we are in? So while Manchin gets it, what about his other 50 colleagues (49 + Harris)?  What concerns you more, Abbott and Paxton or the Democrats who want to make it to where if the Republicans do take over, they can go wild… at least in your mind? 
    • MODS please remove that ISD twitter link! I had no idea it would copy the whole posting. I only highlighted the portion about the venue change. Sorry about that!
  • Topics