Fastest Pitcher in SETX?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know who is the fastest, but I do know we have the fewest number of pitchers over 85 that Southeast Texas has had in decades.  If there is a 90mph guy, I have not seen it.

Even the guys that are talked about being 88-90, I have seen on the radar gun at 84-85.

I have seen the following pitchers top out (some at 85, some at 84, some even lower) during this season at one time or another. Maybe I saw them on an off day.

5A

Nate Svaboda

A couple of others from this ditrict but not SETX

4A

Josh Dean*

Kirby Bellow

Tray Hester

Jeron Spikes

Cass Ingvardsen

Frank Smesney*

Dallas Brown

3A

Matt Hicks*

Jace Statum

Jacob Felts

2A

Brandon Hillin

*these guys looked like they might throw harder to me on a better (warmer) day.

I have seen most of the 3A, 4A and 5A guys throw, but I easily could have missed a few that could be on this list of mid 80's and maybe even missed a guy above that.  This is just what I have personally seen.

Guest Ranger83

PITCHING IN SETX IS VERY VERY VERY DOWN FROM YEARS PAST..........

Based on what?

There is a TON of good pitching in SeTex. There may not be a lot of "flame throwers", but I would argue that the "pitching" is down.

There are a lot of underclassmen also. Things will only get better.

Kirby Bellow, Jr

Trae Hester, Jr

Jace Statum, Jr

Jacobs Felts, Jr

Matt Hicks, Jr

Cody Butler, Jr

Jeremy Grabyszwski, Soph

Price Jacobs, Soph

Chance Czerwonka, Fresh

Just to name a few.

I'm with you Ranger. As someone who has had the best seat in the house to have seen most of the guys you just mention I do not see where pitching is down. There are some seniors that have thrown very well also. You never know who is going to blossom when they get to the next level, grow up a bit, and get a little stronger.

I'm with you Ranger. As someone who has had the best seat in the house to have seen most of the guys you just mention I do not see where pitching is down. There are some seniors that have thrown very well also. You never know who is going to blossom when they get to the next level, grow up a bit, and get a little stronger.

I stand by my post.  Who in the area throws above 85?  (consistantly)

I can remember years where some local teams had four and five guys above 85mph.  And the area had a guy or two at or above 90mph most years.

Hester from Vidor-85 i think is what I go him at

Woods from PNG also at 85

Kid from Livingston (#11) got him at 88 but the ball went to the backstop

Hicks at 89

Wilson from Lumberton at 85

Howden from Lumberton at 84

Josh Dean at 85 also

from alabasterjohnson

"i would say BC has three pitchers that throw mid 80's in Wallace, Hicks, Kellog."

These last two posts act as if they dispute what I am saying.  They do not.

He has Vidor at 85, PNG at 85, Lumberton at 85, Nederland at 85.  Livingston was probably 85 except the pitch up the backstop.

Next guy says Wallace, Hicks, and Kellog mid 80's which is EIGHTY FIVE.

So now we have one guy that pitches over 85 sometimes, Hicks.

Guest baseball25

Ranger the pitching is way down in SETX....I been watching it for the last 8 years...

My Jr year here were the pitchers in setx when I played HS

Dan Fletcher- Drafted

Jesse Cooksey-Drafted

Josh Girdley-Drafted

Brad Sullivan-Drafted

Josh Gray- Lamar and then drafted

Jarod Tate- Drafted

Trey Rinado-Lamar

Kyle Stutes-Lamar and Drafted

Derek Gordon- Lamar and Drafted

Josh Mitchell- Galveston JC and Texas A&M corpus

Clay Buchholz was good his Freshman yr.

Brooks Yeates- Blinn arm problems

Luther Sanders-Blinn and signed with KState but didn't get bec of grades..

Chris Beechner-Drafted and played at lamar and got drafted again.

Jeff Moye- Drafted

I am sure I am missing atleast 5 more guys more guys but all those guys played in  Southeast texas for a 4 yr span and all those guys threw upper 80's....not 85.....more like 87-89....Pitching was way better 7-10 yrs ago.....ITS BEEN WAY DOWN THE LAST COUPLE OF YRS

Guest Ranger83

I still would not consider pitching to be "down." I would say that there are a lot of young arms out there. I would bet that 80%+ of the teams in SeTex have pitching staffs that are being led by Jr's and Soph's.  Look at Silsbee for example. Colby Jenkins, Fresh, was probably their #1 or #2.

LCM's Shane Waddell is only a Jr.  Reggie Wilson, West Brook, Soph.

These guys have young arms and will only get better. That's not saying they are major league caliber, just that the area has its fair share of pitching.

Guest baseball25

Like i said its mediocore......Nothing great around the area with pitching....NOT one GREAT PITCHER IN THE AREA...Just descent pitching

Guest Ranger83

Like i said its mediocre......Nothing great around the area with pitching....NOT one GREAT PITCHER IN THE AREA...Just descent pitching

Let's have this discussion again in a year or two. However, if you only base a players ability to be "great" on MPH, you have missed the boat completely.

Like i said its mediocre......Nothing great around the area with pitching....NOT one GREAT PITCHER IN THE AREA...Just descent pitching

Let's have this discussion again in a year or two. However, if you only base a players ability to be "great" on MPH, you have missed the boat completely.

Amen!

True...but being able to reach back and hit 90 in addition to being able to pitch is lethal..IE hitting spots, changing speeds etc...sure makes those mistakes harder to hit too

But you are right, a lot of these guys are young. When I was a soph I hit 82 on a "RAY" gun which they say you add about 5 MPH to for a jugs gun...as a JR I hit 89 on a jugs...as a SR 91...so it comes with maturity...which may even come later in college...Know one guy that threw 92-93 4 years after he finished college but when in college was 88-90

90's Holly Crap  :o I threw one 55 once at an Astro's game "Guess your speed" booth and it took me about two years to recover ;D IF it wasn't for those 5 cups a beer i could have broke 60 8)

Ranger the pitching is way down in SETX....I been watching it for the last 8 years...

My Jr year here were the pitchers in setx when I played HS

Dan Fletcher- Drafted

Jesse Cooksey-Drafted

Josh Girdley-Drafted

Brad Sullivan-Drafted

Josh Gray- Lamar and then drafted

Jarod Tate- Drafted

Trey Rinado-Lamar

Kyle Stutes-Lamar and Drafted

Derek Gordon- Lamar and Drafted

Josh Mitchell- Galveston JC and Texas A&M corpus

Clay Buchholz was good his Freshman yr.

Brooks Yeates- Blinn arm problems

Luther Sanders-Blinn and signed with KState but didn't get bec of grades..

Chris Beechner-Drafted and played at lamar and got drafted again.

Jeff Moye- Drafted

I am sure I am missing atleast 5 more guys more guys but all those guys played in  Southeast texas for a 4 yr span and all those guys threw upper 80's....not 85.....more like 87-89....Pitching was way better 7-10 yrs ago.....ITS BEEN WAY DOWN THE LAST COUPLE OF YRS

Good point Baseball25

Back then our local playoff teams steam rolled through the playoffs and many times even met back in the regional finals to go to Austin.  Why? Pitching!

Let's take the local 4A district for example and use the last two baseball seasons.

LCM District Champ lost first round  PNG second place lost first round Vidor third place lost first round

PNG District Champ won one series Vidor second place lost first round LCM third won one series

Two playoff series won in two seasons

Why? Local pitching has been down as compared to prior years.  You can argue that setx pitching is not down, but you cannot argue that the fact that setx pitching velocity is down.

I would consider Kirby Bellow a great pitcher. I would consider Hicks a great pitcher. I would consider Trae Hester (when healthy) a great pitcher. I would consider Jace Statum (when healthy) a great pitcher. Our pitchers in this area are far above average if you ask me. There are a ton of our local kids I would feel very confident with on the mound. Just because they don't throw 95 does not mean they cannot be effective. If everyone threw only fastballs, pitchers would mean nothing.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder