Fastest Pitcher in SETX?

I would consider Kirby Bellow a great pitcher. I would consider Hicks a great pitcher. I would consider Trae Hester (when healthy) a great pitcher. I would consider Jace Statum (when healthy) a great pitcher. Our pitchers in this area are far above average if you ask me. There are a ton of our local kids I would feel very confident with on the mound. Just because they don't throw 95 does not mean they cannot be effective. If everyone threw only fastballs, pitchers would mean nothing.

Another guy that is missing the point.

No one said these kids can't be effective. 

But, only one of them has a chance to dominate his teams way to Austin.

We just stated a fact.  Pitching in the area does not compare to what it has been in the past.  One guy just email me a list of six guys on one high school team that were between 87-90 in the late 90's.  He also added 12 more names of kids that threw that hard in the same year.

You guys can only name one guy in setx that pitches with that velocity right now.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest baseball25

I have pitched at the Juco level and Div 1 level I am not saying there aren't guys out there that can't pitch...All I am saying is those guys can pitch descent there not GREAT PITCHERS......I am talking about PRO PROSPECTS and kids getting Drafted....All the guys I named were pro prospects..and pitchers that Dominated throughout HS.....I know pitching isn't about speed I been there and done it....BUT GREAT PITCHERS AROUND THE AREA OK I'll say maybe 2 just maybe.....not 15 or 16 though like there has been in years past.....

FAR ABOVE AVE....come on now, just what do you consider ave, IMO you don't have to be a 'Pro prospect' to be considered good, BUT how many Srs have signed ??????? Do you honestly think Maddux would have got to where he is if he was in the lower 80s as a senior in HS. You guys are rite on you don't have to be in the upper 80s to get outs,just hit your spots>> any pitcher in the area only faces 2-4 good hitters in a game. When you have 3-5 guys that sign in the early signing period along with several more that are signed by the end of school THEN you can say what has been said here, is there just 1 guy that has close to a 2k per inn ave >>GAS is what gets attention and that is what brings the 'guns out'... But in life everyones got an opinion and all above is my opinion....     

I would consider Kirby Bellow a great pitcher. I would consider Hicks a great pitcher. I would consider Trae Hester (when healthy) a great pitcher. I would consider Jace Statum (when healthy) a great pitcher. Our pitchers in this area are far above average if you ask me. There are a ton of our local kids I would feel very confident with on the mound. Just because they don't throw 95 does not mean they cannot be effective. If everyone threw only fastballs, pitchers would mean nothing.

Another guy that is missing the point.

No one said these kids can't be effective. 

But, only one of them has a chance to dominate his teams way to Austin.

We just stated a fact.  Pitching in the area does not compare to what it has been in the past.  One guy just email me a list of six guys on one high school team that were between 87-90 in the late 90's.  He also added 12 more names of kids that threw that hard in the same year.

You guys can only name one guy in setx that pitches with that velocity right now.

You are correct in one respect: there aren't near as many dominant pitchers in the area as there has been in the past.  Although I don't recall very many of those listed that dominated and advanced his team all the way to Austin.  Sure seemed like Jasper should have done that with the lefty Girdley throwing mid-90s, but it was a team without some of those pitching stars that aren't around any longer that went to Austin and brought back the crown. 

Guest Jack Nasty

Some of you guys are speaking about "missing the point". If I'm not mistaken, I believe the question was simply" Who is the fastest pitcher in Southeast Texas"? Is it possible the question was asked through simply curiosity, I'm also curious as to the fastest pitcher is, he does not have to be the best, just who is the fastest?

You are correct in one respect: there aren't near as many dominant pitchers in the area as there has been in the past.  Although I don't recall very many of those listed that dominated and advanced his team all the way to Austin.  Sure seemed like Jasper should have done that with the lefty Girdley throwing mid-90s, but it was a team without some of those pitching stars that aren't around any longer that went to Austin and brought back the crown. 

One reason Girdley didn't lead Jasper to state is he had to face my team, and pitch against Brad Sullivan and Jesse Floyd.  This kinda proves Baseball25's point.  There were 3 pitchers in this series drafted by major league teams, and 2 of them in the 1st round.  There is just not that kind of talent in the area this year.  I will say that most of the better pitchers in the area are underclassmen and still have a chance to improve in the next year or two.

Some of you guys are speaking about "missing the point". If I'm not mistaken, I believe the question was simply" Who is the fastest pitcher in Southeast Texas"? Is it possible the question was asked through simply curiosity, I'm also curious as to the fastest pitcher is, he does not have to be the best, just who is the fastest?

I would say Hicks probably throws the hardest out of anyone in the area consistently.  There is not much difference in his velocity in the 1st inning and the last.  He doesn't wear down and works in the mid to high 80's for entire games.

One reason Girdley didn't lead Jasper to state is he had to face my team, and pitch against Brad Sullivan and Jesse Floyd.  This kinda proves Baseball25's point.  There were 3 pitchers in this series drafted by major league teams, and 2 of them in the 1st round.  There is just not that kind of talent in the area this year.  I will say that most of the better pitchers in the area are underclassmen and still have a chance to improve in the next year or two.

If I remember didn't Girdley go about 10 innings that game?

Guest baseball25

your forgetting about DAN FLETCHER he got drafted in the 8th round....I face girdley and he was filthy he struck us out 29 times the most ever in hs and was in the SPORTS ILL...but you know what we played like 14 innings that night and won 2-1 tate threw the first 10 and  I threw the last 4.....You had 3 lefthanders that night throwing Mid 88-90s.....you don't see that to often and you sure as hell don't see that around this area now

The Kid from Livingston has been gunned consistently @ 88 & 89, and often @ 90 & 91, without it going to the backstop!!!!!. Lots of strike outs this year.

There have been college scouts and Pro Scouts at a numbers of his starts.

He has already signed with a JUCO.

He has just recently received and invitation to another pro team pre draft workout.

Must be doing something right!!!!!

controlling the ball is not that easily taught.  with the right technique most pitchers that throw in the upper 80's in high school can be taught to throw in the 90's.  IF the pitcher can't control his emotions and body language to his teammates in moments of frustration then he is rendered useless in most cases.  I have seen many pitchers with the ability to be very good if not great fall apart because they let a team get under their skin.  I played for kville in spring 99 and we had 3 guys throwing in the upper 80's and without the right mindset we as a team couldn't beat a dead horse.  the most important thing to me was being able to have the abilities to make a batter guess at what was coming, being more confident than he was, and keeping the ball low.  by doing so i managed to reach 100K's that year, not to terribly far behind the guys named like Josh Girdley and Dan Fletcher who in this forum have been named great.  point being, there isn't much difference between good and great.  it's how you use your talents.

Guest Ranger83

Are we using "clocked" numbers or calibrated eyes? That makes a big difference.

Saw Grabyszwski twice this year. "Clocked" 83-85.

Never saw Langley so I'll take his word on him. Always heard nothing but positives about his abilities.

I have pitched at the Juco level and Div 1 level I am not saying there aren't guys out there that can't pitch...All I am saying is those guys can pitch descent there not GREAT PITCHERS......I am talking about PRO PROSPECTS and kids getting Drafted....All the guys I named were pro prospects..and pitchers that Dominated throughout HS.....I know pitching isn't about speed I been there and done it....BUT GREAT PITCHERS AROUND THE AREA OK I'll say maybe 2 just maybe.....not 15 or 16 though like there has been in years past.....

Ross Hales---Barbers Hill 2008, Texas A&M  will be drafted

Kendall Thamm--Barbers Hill 2008, Angelina College  will be drafted

Hunter Silva--Barbers Hill 2008, San Jac  will be drafted

Well said.

(1)  To answer the original question:  Kellogg and Hicks (both BC) are uppers 80s...touch 90.  I have not seen the kid from Livingston who is purportedly throwing with the same velocity.

(2)  With the exception of Kellogg and maybe Hicks, I don't know that we have any pitchers this year who project to the next level (college or pro), although the younger guys always improve as they mature, etc.

(3)  The trio from BH are all quality arms.  Same with Eric Harrington (PNG/Lamar) and DD Lott (Ozen/Northwest La.).  They are already at the next level.  The 2007 class was a "position player" group although they did have Jeff Stringer (BC/Lamar/Panola)  There were some pretty good pitchers in the 2006 class:  Clayton Ehlert (LCM/Tex A&M), Kevin Angelle (drafted/San Jac/Lamar) and Mattison Smith (Ned/Lamar) to name a few.

So, the area hasn't exactly been without quality arms the past 2-3 years; however, I will grant you:  some of those prior years were unbelievable.  Talk about some pitching...

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder