U.S. No Longer Advising Swine Flu School Closures

Need to, news report today says this is no different from the seasonal Flu. Liberty ISD returning to school Wed.

Not only are they finding it to be no different, but the outbreak is very minor.  41 cases in Texas so far.  Dang, we've had 41 kids out in our school district at one time because of the flu and there was no panic!  Yes, the officials should admit that they were being cautious but the concerns never panned out and let's get back to normal.

Happiest person around when we return to baseball will be Mrs Ruth. She tells me i've been crowding here space since I've been home every night. Should I be worried?

Mrs. Ruth says you are crowding space, well Mrs Ump2 says I am not making any vacation money. Women  never happy with us guys are they lol

Happiest person around when we return to baseball will be Mrs Ruth. She tells me i've been crowding here space since I've been home every night. Should I be worried?

just be ready for the inside fastball, the space belongs to her!

Wonder if the widower with a premature baby in the hospital feels like the media hyped it up.  If the school closures, UIL decision, etc. saved one student, teacher, or anyone else, then guess what....it was worth it.

But by God, let's not mess with high school sports.   ::)

ksagrl1,

Good point.  We can all see that opinions on this topic range greatly. When is to soon? When is to late? How long is to long or to short?  Lets just hope it goes away soon and we can get back to normal.

How did you guys do in you district season? Who do you have in the first couple of rounds of the playoffs?

Wonder if the widower with a premature baby in the hospital feels like the media hyped it up.  If the school closures, UIL decision, etc. saved one student, teacher, or anyone else, then guess what....it was worth it.

But by God, let's not mess with high school sports.   ::)

Especially Football.  :D

Especially Football.  :D

Ridiculous.

Did she catch the swine flu at a UIL competition? I must have missed that part.

Yes it was overhyped and now the UIL has seen their folly and backed off. Go figure.

If your objective is to save one person, then we can stop all high school football since every year students die playing it. Every year a couple of children are killed playing Little League baseball so let's stop that also.

Let's change all speed limits to 30mph. It will take us twice the time to make long trips but it will save thousands of lives wouldn't it?

Sorry but the "single life" theory doesn't work and it was way overhyped.

ksagirl - tell Coach B I said hello. And BTW, I agree with ya. I would have been more impressed with the UIL had they stuck to their guns with their first decision.

I'll tell him.  :)  I don't think they've handled the situation well at all, but to be honest, you have to respect the fact that they are trying to do what's best for the kids.

Last I'll say on the subject.....I think a lot of the difference of opinion lies in a difference in geography.  It was more than a little unnerving to live smack in the middle of the swine flu hotbed.  LOL

Props to you on dismissing the death of a woman just because she didn't contract the virus at a UIL event.   ::)

I did not dismiss her death at all. It was obviously tragic that she died and then did so delivering a child that will grow up without a mother. That is horrible from any cause.

What that has to do with high school baseball, I don't have a clue. We average 100 deaths a day, 365 days a year from the flu virus. In the two weeks since the swine flu scare has happened in this country, we have probably lost over 1,000 people due to the normal seasonal flu. Let's see, one death compared to 1,000. Yep, I can understand closing schools and cancelling games. Maybe we should end all public events from now on due to that fact. After all, one life may be saved by it.

::) ::) ::)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder