why is it we dont talk much about our teams OL and DL

the QB and running backs should thank the kids there in the OL if it were not for them some of the back would not get all the headlines,as coach hooks says  to his  backfield  GO THANK YOUR FRIENDS IN THE OL thay  are the ones that makes  it happen

Guest GB Nelson

Definately if the O line falls apart or misses one assignment the whole play is blown. The O Line is the key

No rocket science here. What would there be to talk about?

Everyone knows that it all starts with the lines..... but it ends in the end zone. How can you carry on a conversation about a game while talking about line play?

I can remember many great games from high school to the pros. Take for instance the awesome classic game of the Houston Oilers and the Miami Dolphins on Monday Night Football. The lead changed several times and it was one of the most exciting and electric games of all time. Earl Campbell was in the shootout with Bob Griese. Campbell made the famous run almost the length of the field near the end of the game to put it on ice. That may have been the wildest crowd ever seen on MNF.

The game was the talk of the town back then but I never once heard anyone talk about the line play. When Campbell made the great run to win the game, did anyone ever say, "Man, that left guard did a great job of pulling on that run"? Nope. Everyone was watching Campbell go 80+ yards.

Therein lies the reason why lines are not discussed and probably never will be. They will be acknowledged from time to time by coaches and ball handlers...... but discussing them is as boring as ignoring the play on the field and watching just the left tackle to see if he gets his block in.

Maybe I'm old school, but I love it when an OL make a hole big enough for a truck to drive through. Conversly, when a DL plugs the holes and stops the play at the line, well, that is real football. What happens in the trenches is where the football game is at! Trying to express my thoughts on this matter is making me sound like John Madden. TVC  is right though: this aspect of the game won't make the newscast.

Maybe I'm old school, but I love it when an OL make a hole big enough for a truck to drive through. Conversly, when a DL plugs the holes and stops the play at the line, well, that is real football. What happens in the trenches is where the football game is at! Trying to express my thoughts on this matter is making me sound like John Madden. TVC  is right though: this aspect of the game won't make the newscast.

I likewise try to watch the play of the line. At times I have missed a handoff while watching the blocks. Even then, when you ask why we don't discuss it, it is because it would be a boring discussion for the most part. One play? Yes. WOW, did you see that pancake block?

But after the game, the discussion will more likely be on the 75 yard run for the winning score or the interception runback that ended the game.

This can be a real touchy subject....As shovelhead stated the most important people on the field may just well be the big guys down in the three point stance and four point stances.  In my home town, BC, the offensive linemen don't get down and blast-out a block; they simply shield runners and pass block.  Consequently, they are not prepared to get scholarships to the bulk of colleges that run plays that really utilize linemen blocking in historically conventional manners........I ask some big ole athletic boys why the did not play football and they simply answered,  "Doing the 'West Brook Squat' instead of firing out and blocking is real boring and I would rather spend my time on other sports and adventures."

This can be a real touchy subject....As shovelhead stated the most important people on the field may just well be the big guys down in the three point stance and four point stances.  ..........

Everybody knows that how important they are. No one in this thread has denied it.

The OP asked why it wasn't discussed. The reason is, people watch to ball handlers and the score. It would be hard for most people to have an in depth discussion on how good the line play was in the exciting game last night.

This can be a real touchy subject....As shovelhead stated the most important people on the field may just well be the big guys down in the three point stance and four point stances.  In my home town, BC, the offensive linemen don't get down and blast-out a block; they simply shield runners and pass block.  Consequently, they are not prepared to get scholarships to the bulk of colleges that run plays that really utilize linemen blocking in historically conventional manners........I ask some big ole athletic boys why the did not play football and they simply answered,  "Doing the 'West Brook Squat' instead of firing out and blocking is real boring and I would rather spend my time on other sports and adventures."

I think your wrong  "the offensive linemen don't get down and blast-out a block; they simply shield runners and pass block.  Consequently, they are not prepared to get scholarships to the bulk of colleges that run plays that really utilize linemen blocking in historically conventional manners  '

Jason Smith 2 pick in the NFL draft played in a 2 point enough said........

........I ask some big ole athletic boys why the did not play football and they simply answered,  "Doing the 'West Brook Squat' instead of firing out and blocking is real boring and I would rather spend my time on other sports and adventures."

Those fat boys are called quitters

Its sad but true. I think its cause these positions don't have as much action.

That quote right there tells you why people don't talk much about these positions.  The o-line and the d-line are the only positions on the field that has action every single snap.  Please, don't talk about something you have no Idea about.

Another reason, people tend to not talk about things that confuse them.  The general public knows very little about these positions, therefor they usually (not in the above case) don't have anything to say.

That quote right there tells you why people don't talk much about these positions.  The o-line and the d-line are the only positions on the field that has action every single snap.  Please, don't talk about something you have no Idea about.

Another reason, people tend to not talk about things that confuse them.  The general public knows very little about these positions, therefor they usually (not in the above case) don't have anything to say.

Your right I mean playing football for years I don't have a clue.

My father used to tell me back when i played quaterback,

That the offensive line should be your best friends because they are the ones

Who is going to keep you from getting killed or injured bad.

The lineman is the the root to a good offense.

Them boyz sacrifice their bodys more then any other position on the field so,

Yeah maybe they dont get the most recogniton or Their position is not were a lot of glory is

But when it all boils down, the lineman are the key to success on a football team.

Stupid comments like that tell me that you don't have a clue.  Who knows, you could have been one of those guys that just wore the uniform to call yourself a football player.

The reason i think they don't get a lot of glory that they deserve is because linemen take pride in what they do(in most cases) they don't care about their stats as long as they get the WIN

Not quite correct. Linemen get graded/reviewed on every play. Ask any offensive lineman what happens when he misses a block! Most do take pride in their job and stats.

Stupid comments like that tell me that you don't have a clue.  Who knows, you could have been one of those guys that just wore the uniform to call yourself a football player.

I think they have medicines that help you control that unnecessary anger.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin