KOGTs GARY STELLY

This should earn him an endorsement from EA Sports, especially now that Madden has retired.  Any day now, we'll hear Frank Caliendo impersonating him with "Show your love!"  ;D

Congratulations, Gary.  Here's to 25 more years behind the mike.  Thanks for keeping us connected with Orange County high school sports.  You are appreciated by many. 

Gary Stelly, Gary Stelly. . . that name sounds familiar.  Is he that radio station owner/announcer that  broadcast all those Orange County games to the rest of southeast Texas?  Wasn't he the one that stayed on the air during Rita and Ike;  maintaining a constant source of information, hope, support for listeners in surrounding counties?  Was that the guy Orange named Citizen of the Year - 2 years in a row!!!! , ?  That the station owner that started that HUGE clothes drive for needy families in Bridge City and Orange?  Can't be - one man doesn't have time to do all that, run a radio station 24/7, support the community, have a home life with that beautiful wife of his and broadcast over 1,000 games.

You must be talking about some Orange County Superman, stand up businessowner, responsible sportsnut and full-time husband.  Wait, that's him, the guy I know as my friend.  Yeah, that's Gary Stelly and the Orange County area and SE Texas is dang lucky to have him around.

see 'ya on the field Gary

Gary Stelly, Gary Stelly. . . that name sounds familiar.   Is he that radio station owner/announcer that   broadcast all those Orange County games to the rest of southeast Texas?  Wasn't he the one that stayed on the air during Rita and Ike;  maintaining a constant source of information, hope, support for listeners in surrounding counties?   Was that the guy Orange named Citizen of the Year - 2 years in a row!!!! , ?   That the station owner that started that HUGE clothes drive for needy families in Bridge City and Orange?   Can't be - one man doesn't have time to do all that, run a radio station 24/7, support the community, have a home life with that beautiful wife of his and broadcast over 1,000 games.

You must be talking about some Orange County Superman, stand up businessowner, responsible sportsnut and full-time husband.  Wait, that's him, the guy I know as my friend.  Yeah, that's Gary Stelly and the Orange County area and SE Texas is dang lucky to have him around.

That clothes drive was amazing. My jaw dropped when I walked in and saw all he had collected.

Gary Stelly, Gary Stelly. . . that name sounds familiar.   Is he that radio station owner/announcer that   broadcast all those Orange County games to the rest of southeast Texas?  Wasn't he the one that stayed on the air during Rita and Ike;  maintaining a constant source of information, hope, support for listeners in surrounding counties?   Was that the guy Orange named Citizen of the Year - 2 years in a row!!!! , ?   That the station owner that started that HUGE clothes drive for needy families in Bridge City and Orange?   Can't be - one man doesn't have time to do all that, run a radio station 24/7, support the community, have a home life with that beautiful wife of his and broadcast over 1,000 games.

don't know the man.... GREAT post though!!!

Still have a copy of a game he called in 2006. Except for ragging on me, he did a great job!  ;D

BTW I still have the towel!!!!

Gary does a great job of covering local kids!

He does do a super job covering the local schools.  One question though, was it his 1000th game or was it KOGT's 1000th high school game broadcast?  Just wondering cause I don't think he owned the station or was broadcasting back in '84.

If I understand right, it is Stelly's 1000th game to announce (broadcast).  Kogt has been broadcasting games for years before Mr Stelly ever worked at or bought the station.  He did start his first broadcasting at the station while he was in High School.  Hey business people, watch who you employ, they may turn out to be the NEW BOSS some day ;>) !!!    I believe the Orange Leader still has a recent story detailing the history of Stelly and the KOGT broadcasts posted on their website.

I talked to some at the 1,000th game which was WOS at Orangefield baseball field.  With OF lack of pressbox facilities - actually none at all, many had been told that KOGT would not broadcast at Orangefield baseball because of this.  The time keeper and scoreboard operator actually operate from the protected dugout.

Anyway KOGT, Gary and his broadcast partner setup in the stands and broadcast from there.  Yes, if you remember right, it did rain on everyone.  What a committed trooper!! 

Kudos to the fans at Orangefield for trying to do the right thing and treating the broadcast special.  A stenciled "1,000th Game" was painted on the field and Stelly was presented with a plaque to commemorate the special occasion.  Now if only they would get a pressbox!!!!

Keep up the broadcasts Gary Stelly; the fans, the community, and the kids love and appreciate you. 

see "ya on the field

KOGTRAIDO GOES WAY WAY BACK. gary was not even born lol sorry my friend,john wade and ricard carter  did the orange tigers and wallace hight school games back then but thay cant hold a candel to garry  stelly ,watch out gary ESPN might be after you soon as well as FOX.

He wouldn't know how to take it if I had too many good things to say about him so I will keep it short. Not only does he do the high school sports but he does a great job keeping up with and putting all youth sports pictures on his web site. The best thing about Gary is that he gives away hot dogs.  ;D

Y'all Are right! I had forgot about all the stuff he did during the aftermath of Ike. I live in Mid-County now, so I didn't pay attention like I should have. Also, the KOGT website is the best I've ever seen for serving a community. Mr Stelly deserves all the praise that can be heaped upon him. He does call a better game than any of his local peers, including the old guys Skipper mentioned.

i just wish the orange county schools that gary loves so well could honor him at one of the games,he shows his love fot them ,now its time to give the love back to garry

Sports banquets are coming up and there's not a better place to show the appreciation for someone that does things for your athletic department. Invite Gary and at least give him a meal. I know he gets tired of cooking all the time.  ;D

td, that would be a nice thing to do for the man.it would not brake the schools if thay could give him  something that might say this. to mr garry stelly who shows his love for our kids now we show our love for you then feed him lol

td, that would be a nice thing to do for the man.it would not brake the schools if thay could give him   something that might say this. to mr garry stelly who shows his love for our kids now we show our love for you then feed him lol

Does Gary have time to even eat? I thought he was a machine?!?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder