Nederland Bond

Nederland City Council 1 -- 100 of 100 precincts reporting (100%)

Place 1

Ortiz 1,278 55% (X)

Bernard 1,048 45% 

Nederland City Council 3 -- 100 of 100 precincts reporting (100%)

Place 3

Albanese 1,459 58% (X)

Sonnier 1,069 42% 

Nederland ISD at large -- 40 of 100 precincts reporting (40%)

At Large (elect 3)

Sanderson 2,126 26% (X)

Branick 1,945 24% (X)

Bruney 1,440 18% (X)

Hawkins 1,154 14% 

Byrd 1,091 13% 

Atterbury 440 5% 

Nederland School Bond -- 100 of 100 precincts reporting (100%)

Against 3,252 79% (X)

For 853 21%

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It really kinda aggravates me that people are so against building new schools. THERE REALLY IS A NEED FOR NEW SCHOOLS.  People are so ignorant and selfish.  Just walk through our elementary schools and high school and see the needs... I imagine if they had to work in those conditions day in and day out they would have voted differently.  Athletic facilities can wait,  but lets build schools!!!!!

We had a discussion over on the PN-G forum about our next bond issue, which would replace our elementary schools. NDN fan 4ever, a member of our site, brought up an excellent point that may decide whether or not our next bond passes, depending on when it will go to the voting booth. I've copied and pasted it below.

Big problem just raised its head regarding education bonds.  

The State Board of Education in Texas has suspended taking applications from districts for Bond Guarantees by the Permanent School Fund.  The fund has dropped below the capacity to insure additional bonds.  This had previously happened before Christmas but was restarted again after the holidays.

This is how it works.  SBE uses the Permanent School Fund to place a guarantee on education bonds in the event of default, like a co-signer.  With no guarantee, a school district's bond interest rate will increase significantly, as well as the school district will have to shop and buy private bond insurance (very expensive).  The bigger impact will be IF the district is able to get a bond package put together, it could face a lower bond rating than before.

Compound this with the fact that the county is expected to increase it's taxes due to projected shortfalls, it will be very difficult to sell the public on a bond since it will have a definite impact on their wallets.

Two Questions:

Was this a talking point for your bond's opposition?

If so, looking at it now, do you acknowledge the possibility that NISD could have defaulted on its payments and TEA would not have been able to cover the payments, which may have forced NISD to resort to drastic measures, including (although I seriously doubt it would come to something like that) merging with PAISD?

Please, don't take this as post-poll opposition for your bond. I agreed with your bond, and, honestly, for my Nederland counterparts' sake, wish it would have passed. You guys need the new schools just as much as we do. But these are still valid points, and I can see why the opposition was the opposition.

I think you guys need to regroup, cut your bond up into multiple bonds, and hit the polls again ASAP. I hope you guys get new schools sometime in the future. It will be kind of weird having new schools over here if you don't.

The Greed of the people of Nederland shocks me.................

This will be the down falls of the city of Nederland, sad very sad.  For everyone that voted against the bond and said they are doing it for the kids should be ashamed of themselves.  You people that voted against the bond let CARE- (or don't care for your community) throw lies and scare tactics to sway your decision.

sad day for the students of Nederland...........

IMHO the Board went about the bond proposal in the wrong way.  It should have been well-established what the taxpayers would support before putting anything up for a vote.  The election should have been a forgone conclusion; merely a ratification of a community agreement.

Obviously the Board and the Bond Committee seriously misread the voters.  The only conclusion I can reach is that a broad cross-section of the community wasn't represented during the process.  Otherwise, how could the Board not know that this particular bond had no chance of passage?  Serious dialogue only started once it became obvious that "NO" might win the day.  It was too late.  The die was already cast.

I think the Nederland would support a bond.  But let's find out what the taxpayers will pay for before we call for another bond election.  We'll end up with the same result again if we don't get the buy-in of our citizens upfront.

We shouldn't look at this as an end - just a step in the process.  The needs still exist.  And because of the bond election we've had some interesting conversations taking place.  Many of those opposed to this bond say they can support a different package.  Let's find out if that's true.  I call on the NISD Board to continue their hard work on this issue.  The kids of Nederland deserve no less!

Nederland friends that I've spoken to said the stadium was a big issue with them.  They wanted the schools taken care of first, particularly in light of the tax situations and potential increases.

I think that is most of it. The other issues were excuses to oppose the bond but had it not been for the stadium issues, those other "excuses" would have fallen by the wayside. The economy wasn't the major issue. Had this bond come up a year ago the same result would have happened. From my understanding the stadium was like 4% or less of the bond proposal. So if a person's home taxes went up $500 a year, that is only $20 a year on the stadium or less than $2 a month. Is that why it was rejected... for $2 a month? Quadruple the taxes to an additional $2,000 per year that still comes to about $7 per month extra in taxes due the stadium.

Nope, it wasn't the economy and it wasn't the condition of the schools. It was the anti-stadium crowd that tried every excuse they could find to keep the bond from passing for a single issue. Obviously they had a great plan.

Guest L212

IMHO the Board went about the bond proposal in the wrong way.  It should have been well-established what the taxpayers would support before putting anything up for a vote.  The election should have been a forgone conclusion; merely a ratification of a community agreement.

Obviously the Board and the Bond Committee seriously misread the voters.  The only conclusion I can reach is that a broad cross-section of the community wasn't represented during the process.  Otherwise, how could the Board not know that this particular bond had no chance of passage?  Serious dialogue only started once it became obvious that "NO" might win the day.  It was too late.  The die was already cast.

I think the Nederland would support a bond.  But let's find out what the taxpayers will pay for before we call for another bond election.  We'll end up with the same result again if we don't get the buy-in of our citizens upfront.

We shouldn't look at this as an end - just a step in the process.  The needs still exist.  And because of the bond election we've had some interesting conversations taking place.  Many of those opposed to this bond say they can support a different package.  Let's find out if that's true.  I call on the NISD Board to continue their hard work on this issue.  The kids of Nederland deserve no less!

Excellent post.  IMO this bond was doomed from the start not necessarily because of what was in it but because of how it was presented.  The NISD taxpayers felt the bond was being crammed down their throats by the bond committee.  The taxpayers were treated as if they were incapable of understanding the issues and needed the "smart people" to tell them what to do.  Also, it was poor strategy by the bond proponents to basically accuse those opposing the bond as not caring about the children.  The bond proponents came across as elitist and condescending with absolutely no respect for the intelligence of the NISD taxpayer.  It seemed as if the bond proponents wanted to quietly slip this $120 million tax increase by the taxpayers and got annoyed when the voters took notice and started asking questions. 

If the NISD school board wants to get a bond passed, they need to get the taxpayers' buy-in.  They obviously didn't have it this time.  Judging by the results not even those voters over 65 wanted this bond even though their taxes wouldn't go up if it passed.  Next time, solicit input from the regular folks and start gathering support for the bond from the get-go.  If there is a lot of opposition to certain aspects of the bond (i.e. press box), cut that out of the bond and show the taxpayers that you're receptive to their opinions.  The NISD taxpayers care about their children and they will support a bond that reflects their values. 

So, 3200 voters were uninformed and 800 were informed.  Friend, you lost because we WERE informed.  You were on the bond committee?  Get on it again next time and we'll win again.  Hopefully they've learned their lesson, though.  This was not a mere defeat, this was a STUNNING defeat.  And this is all you can say?!  ;D  ;D

Won't happen, to many uniformed voters that just know they don't want anything! I don't care what you try to get through they are not going to vote for it!

Believe it!  ;D  ;D

Nederland City Council 1 -- 40 of 100 precincts reporting (40%)

Place 1

Ortiz 818 56% 

Bernard 650 44% 

Nederland City Council 3 -- 40 of 100 precincts reporting (40%)

Place 3

Albanese 959 60% 

Sonnier 635 40% 

Nederland ISD at large -- 40 of 100 precincts reporting (40%)

At Large (elect 3)

Sanderson 1,291 25% 

Branick 1,174 23% 

Bruney 994 19% 

Hawkins 750 14% 

Byrd 722 14% 

Atterbury 281 5% 

Nederland School Bond -- 40 of 100 precincts reporting (40%)

Against 2,092 81% 

For 501 19%

Any chance that the remaining 60 precints that have not reported (as of the time of your post) can possibly swing the outcome?  Do we know what those precints are and their location??

I cannot believe it is so one-sided... :-[

No we should not!   Do you know the definition of insanity?

I think they need to restructure the bond and maybe it will pass next time.  During a major recession is probably not the right time to ask people for such a large tax increase.  I think we really needed the new schools but the people have spoken...

we should start monday on new plan that will pass.

So, 3200 voters were uninformed and 800 were informed.  Friend, you lost because we WERE informed.  You were on the bond committee?  Get on it again next time and we'll win again.  Hopefully they've learned their lesson, though.  This was not a mere defeat, this was a STUNNING defeat.   And this is all you can say is people were un-informed?!  Geez, no wonder ya'll lost.   ;D   ;D

Won't happen, to many uniformed voters that just know they don't want anything! I don't care what you try to get through they are not going to vote for it!

So, let me understand something:  It's greed if one is opposed to a bad bond issue at a bad time and one wants to protect their wallets from getting drained at the expense of their family?  Am I understanding you right?  Again, no wonder ya'll lost.

The Greed of the people of Nederland shocks me.................

This will be the down falls of the city of Nederland, sad very sad.  For everyone that voted against the bond and said they are doing it for the kids should be ashamed of themselves.  You people that voted against the bond let CARE- (or don't care for your community) throw lies and scare tactics to sway your decision.

sad day for the students of Nederland...........

“The bond was a crushing blow,†Sanderson said. “It puts us in a bind for the budget and I don’t know how we’re going to handle it.â€

We needed this bond to pay for the budget?  Interesting quote.  Maybe the budgets to big.  Maybe, then, cuts are needed?!  It's no different then when a family has a budget crisis, you tighten your belt.

Guest Penny

You're right Smitty, we need to start targetting which teachers we're going to let go, which programs we're going to drop, and how many more portable buildings we're going to need.  Then we can maintain these facilities properly. 

Guest Penny

Interesting that voters so strongly supported Sanderson who was an obvious YES vote and thinks this is what the school district needs... yet voted so resoundingly against it.  I normally factor someones judgement and decision making into my vote, so am having a hard time understanding this extreme disconnect.  I think the dynamics of Sanderson getting the most votes and the bond being deystroyed are something that I will struggle to understand for awhile.  It is likely the root cause of the bond failure.  I hope everyone who voted thinks about that as well.

Interesting that voters so strongly supported Sanderson who was an obvious YES vote and thinks this is what the school district needs... yet voted so resoundingly against it.  I normally factor someones judgement and decision making into my vote, so am having a hard time understanding this extreme disconnect.  I think the dynamics of Sanderson getting the most votes and the bond being deystroyed are something that I will struggle to understand for awhile.  It is likely the root cause of the bond failure.  I hope everyone who voted thinks about that as well.

Very good point, one I too had a problem understanding. Time to restructure the bond and go at it again.

You're right Smitty, we need to start targetting which teachers we're going to let go, which programs we're going to drop, and how many more portable buildings we're going to need.  Then we can maintain these facilities properly. 

Has nothing to do with teachers, or portable buildings, or programs......As I have said in the past, I teach in a school district that really needs some new buildings, computers newer than 10 years old, a decent library, a new cafeteria, our teachers would kill for the salaries NISD teachers get, heck in the winter, my heater may or may not work.....Guess what, our TAKS scores are going to be very close to yours, all my kids are going to say "Yes Sir " and Yes Ma'am." My college bound kids are going to do just as well as yours, they are going to Baylor, and A&M, and Texas and Rice. And are doing well. Quit griping about you need new schools in a recession.

Guest Penny

I'm not griping about needing new schools, I'm commenting on the need to maintain what we've got with the budget that we have.  It's got to come from somewhere, I named the three likely places we will be getting money from to maintain the struggling facilities that we have.  Not sure where your attack is coming from, these are the facts.  The money has to come from somewhere, there is no maintenance money tree out back of the administration building, we'll have to find the money in other places.

I for one was a little suprised in how bad the bond lost. I do not know all the particulars of the bond, just what I have read here on the site. But, I never thought that BISD could pass a bond so big and NISD couldn't get their's passed.

The only particular that caused me some concern was the 1.7 million dollar pressbox. That seemed out of kilter even though as a broadcaster, I did agree that Nederland's pressbox needed to be upgraded, but I'm not sure it needed 1.7 million in upgrades.

Looks as though somebody really dropped the ball in the presentation.

I'm not griping about needing new schools, I'm commenting on the need to maintain what we've got with the budget that we have.  It's got to come from somewhere, I named the three likely places we will be getting money from to maintain the struggling facilities that we have.  Not sure where your attack is coming from, these are the facts.  The money has to come from somewhere, there is no maintenance money tree out back of the administration building, we'll have to find the money in other places.

Nederland teachers make about $5000 a year more than I do, once again we would kill for another $5000. We are at pretty much state pay. ( The way you keep paying teachers past 20 years would give me an additional $9000 a year.)

Nederland has about 300 teachers, so if they really want to repair the buildings, take the additional $5000 away until they can pass a new bond. 300x5000= $1,500,000. That could fix some schools....

Guest Penny

Okay, good point, we don't have to lay teachers off, just pay them less.  But the point remains, the money has to come from somewhere... and 1.5 is like peeing on an inferno at this point.

No we should not!   Do you know the definition of insanity?

I think they need to restructure the bond and maybe it will pass next time.  During a major recession is probably not the right time to ask people for such a large tax increase.  I think we really needed the new schools but the people have spoken...

we should start monday on new plan that will pass.

In previous posts you have said you could support a small, less expensive bond. Why not start immediately on a new streamlined plan?

Just wondering.

Nederland teachers make about $5000 a year more than I do, once again we would kill for another $5000. We are at pretty much state pay. ( The way you keep paying teachers past 20 years would give me an additional $9000 a year.)

Nederland has about 300 teachers, so if they really want to repair the buildings, take the additional $5000 away until they can pass a new bond. 300x5000= $1,500,000. That could fix some schools....

YOu  call yourself a teacher??  I'm glad you don't teach my kids with that assanine statement.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami