Is Football REALLY "king" in SE Texas? Numbers say NO!!!

Guest DickVitale

Guest DickVitale

In SE Texas since 1921, 32 area football teams made it to the state final, where there were 66 boys teams that made it in basketball (Stats courtesy of poster "Nostradamus")....I mean really....Is football more of an expense than a profit generator on the high school level? YES. Percentages point to basketball definitely being more profitable OVERALL....Do fans actually go SEE games? or do they go watch their kids drill team/band performance and leave after halftime? I have seen it happen often..Since 1985, there have been TWO area state football champs....Compared to 12 area basketball champions during that span....More people in the football stands (due to many other factors) Don't equate to football success in SE Texas....Now that the pot is stirred.....what do you guys think? NOTE: I supported my side with FACTS...Don't wanna hear "Cause thats just the way it is" either.... ;)

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DickVitale

Just as I suspected....No one gave a single real REASON why they THINK FOOLSBALL is king!! "its just always been that way" huh, football guys?? ::)....WHY?

Just as I suspected....No one gave a single real REASON why they THINK FOOLSBALL is king!! "its just always been that way" huh, football guys?? ::)....WHY?

When I grew up down there, more kids just played football more than any other sport and a lot of kids played football regardless of season. Football games are more heavily attended, especially in places that traditionally win. All you really have to do is go to the board index. What topic gets the most attention on this board? Football.

Guest DickVitale

When I grew up down there, more kids just played football more than any other sport and a lot of kids played football regardless of season. Football games are more heavily attended, especially in places that traditionally win. All you really have to do is go to the board index. What topic gets the most attention on this board? Football.

WRONG again....Taught PE classes....What do kids want to do INCLUDING football players? PLAY BASKETBALL! EVERY DAY! Football coaches try to run them out of the gym but THEY CANT!! WRONG! NEXT! ;)

Guest DickVitale

band, drill teams, pep squads, and cheerleaders, along with squads of more than 35-40.....THATS why? NEXT! ;)

That's not why 1000's are there.   NEXT!

More than HALF of football fans LEAVE after the halftime show....FACT.....SAW IT NUMEROUS TIMES.....NEXT!!

Guest DickVitale

Then you are really not paying attention...You are probably one of few that ACTUALLY watch the game....Seriously...What do you think basketball coaches talk about at football games? :D How they are an EXPENSE DRIVEN SPORT....ZERO PROFIT, with the exception of the Southlake Carrolls and Katy High schools of the world... ;)

WRONG again....Taught PE classes....What do kids want to do INCLUDING football players? PLAY BASKETBALL! EVERY DAY! Football coaches try to run them out of the gym but THEY CANT!! WRONG! NEXT! ;)

Why does that make me wrong? I'd be willing to bet that if you took a poll of people on this board that they prefer football over any other sport. Again, look at the number of posts per sport. Football is more popular by a longshot.

Then you are really not paying attention...You are probably one of few that ACTUALLY watch the game....Seriously...What do you think basketball coaches talk about at football games? :D How they are an EXPENSE DRIVEN SPORT....ZERO PROFIT, with the exception of the Southlake Carrolls and Katy High schools of the world... ;)

What game was it?   I didn't ask about profit.

Guest DickVitale

Central/Ozen THIS year....It was like they were giving away something in the parking lot at halftime...We were discussing it, and ended up leaving too!

Rivalry games are always heavily attended.  Winning teams are heavily attended... And everyone else has very minimal crouds at football games... Well we say that this area is a football area but the success has been strong in basketball lately...  We have not seen the level of succes in football that we have seen in basketball... SO the kids may think differently than you old folk.... Kountze, HJ, Silsbee, Ozen, Central, Brookland, East Chambers, TJ, and Lincoln (now memorial) have had great basketball success in the last decade, i.e. numerous State appearances and even more regional semi final and finals apperences...

Football?  NOT SO!!!

Thereofore, I feel that the kids have made this a basketball area.

Guest DickVitale

Everyone from Texas is not represented ON THIS SITE..... ::)

Where are you getting the numbers that back up your argument? I think this board is a large enough sample to back up mine. You're not asking about everyone in Texas anyway, remember?

Simple math my friend...Plus my guy nostradamus (another poster who happens to be a hoops coach)did some research.

Guest DickVitale

Rivalry games are always heavily attended.  Winning teams are heavily attended... And everyone else has very minimal crouds at football games... Well we say that this area is a football area but the success has been strong in basketball lately...  We have not seen the level of succes in football that we have seen in basketball... SO the kids may think differently than you old folk.... Kountze, HJ, Silsbee, Ozen, Central, Brookland, East Chambers, TJ, and Lincoln (now memorial) have had great basketball success in the last decade, i.e. numerous State appearances and even more regional semi final and finals apperences...

Football?  NOT SO!!!

Thereofore, I feel that the kids have made this a basketball area.

Let the church congregation say....AMEN!! 8)

Simple math my friend...Plus my guy nostradamus (another poster who happens to be a hoops coach)did some research.

Show me. I'm more than willing to support your argument once I see the numbers that support it. I'm a bit old-school (35), so it's gonna take some work on your part to convince me.

Guest DickVitale

Since you are one year my senior, I will blame it on the alzheimer's!! I SUPPORTED my argument...Can you support your football argument? HUH? Cant hear you.....take your time....I'll wait............. ::)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder