East Texas teammates picking up steam- WO-S Trey Franks-James Haynes

WO-S 89

Ever since he wowed everyone in attendance at a Texas Tech football camp last season with a 43-inch vertical jump, people knew there was something special about James Haynes. His performance at the camp was so spectacular, in fact, that it overshadowed a very dandy outing by his teammate, Trey Franks.

Franks' older brother, Jacoby, plays for Texas Tech.

Now, over half a year later, it's obvious that the spotlight is large enough for both West Orange-Stark standouts.

"They're getting mail from all over the place, both of 'em are," said WOS assistant Toby Foreman. "Of course, James just got an offer from Florida and Trey just got his first one, from Missouri, but the mail and the interest are coming from all over."

And to those close to the duo, like Foreman, it comes as no surprise.

"Well, we always knew it would come, we just weren't exactly sure when it would all happen," said Foreman. "I mean, we all knew from the moment we started working with them that they were special, special talents, and now they've worked hard, improved, and they're starting to see that effort repaid."

Indeed, Foreman told many observers, including several staff members from RedRaiderSports.com, at a camp two years ago that Haynes and Franks, then just sophomores-to-be, were going to be prospects to keep an eye on.

Now, two years down the road, Franks and Haynes are seeing their stock heat up with each passing day.

"Like I said, there's been a lot of attention their way," said the coach. "I know they're both going to Texas' Junior Day this weekend. Texas has been recruiting them both really hard- they are looking at Trey as a DB and they were thinking the same thing on James, but I just talked to Major Applewhite the other day and he mentioned they were thinking about slapping the athlete tag on him, because it's just so hard to project where he might fit at the next level."

While both prospects have several schools they like individually, one of the only schools they are both interested in is the school where they burst onto the scene: Texas Tech.

"They (Texas Tech) are a school that I know both guys really like a lot," said Foreman. "They won't be going to a Junior Day out there because of the travel thing, but they will be coming with me to their camp this summer, so they'll be down there. Really, the only time our kids can come to Tech's stuff is when I drive, just because of how long of a trip it is. But I expect both of them to come with me to their camp and I know both of them like what they're doing out there, that's for sure."

From Orangbloods.com

Two WO-S players set to visit UT

James Haynes of West Orange-Stark will be heading to Austin on Saturday for the Texas junior day, but he will not be alone on his trip. Also making the trip from Southeast Texas will be Trey Franks, who is generating quite a buzz of his own.

Trey Franks will be at Texas' junior day on Saturday.

Franks has plenty of help with the recruiting process with brothers Jacoby (Texas Tech) and Kerry (Texas A&M) going through the process and an older sister who attended Texas.

He also has Haynes there to talk recruiting, as well as to push him when they go to camps and combines.

"His freshman year he came over here and ever since we've been real good friends and staying tight ever since," said Franks. "We went to our first combine last year and he did really well and we've just been going to different combines to help each other out.

"We always have these contests like when we go to these different camps. We always give each other advice about how we can make ourselves better for the camps and stuff."

So far he holds an offer from Missouri and has been hearing from Alabama, Baylor, Texas, and Texas A&M. He attended a junior day at Texas A&M a few weeks back and the A&M has always been a school he's held in high regard.

"I've been following A&M for awhile," said Franks. "My brother went to A&M when I was in the sixth grade and I've just been keeping up with them ever since."

The Aggies, along with Missouri and Alabama, are currently at the top of his list; however, Texas is a program in which he has a lot of interest.

"Texas, they're a great school," said Franks. "One of my brother's (Jacoby's) teammates (Earl Thomas) and a guy that graduated a year before that (Deon Beasley) are there. I like them a lot. They're a big school in the nation. Everybody knows about them. A lot of them go to the pros from there. That's what I like about that."

Trey will also make the trip to Austin with his mom, and she has made it clear that more than anything there is one factor that takes precedent over all of the others.

"My mom, she loves academics, and she wants me to go to a school with good academics," said Franks. "My mom she wants me to go to a good school and that's all she talks about."

As a junior Franks was named first-team All-District 21-3A at receiver and defensive back and TSWA second-team 3A All-State

these 2 kids still have their senior year at WOS.  i just hope the coaches will find a way to take advantage of their skills.  why couldn't one of them cover the wide receiver in the last playoff game (2008)  WOS has speed an talent with these 2 kids.  i would like to see them use it.  get the ball in their hands.

Reggie Garrett will be making some headlines before his career at Wo-s is over. He has an extremely strong arm and probably is a more accurate passer than Hypolite. Watch out for him at QB and the receivers he will have to throw to will be scarey. You have Haynes, Trey Franks, Mark Roberts and Reggie Simmons( Quinny and Depauldricks little brother). Reggie can also run with the ball. If they can gel together, this might be one of the most explosive offenses Wo-s has ever had.

Roderick Simmons is Quinny and Depauldrick's little brother.  Also, is the Stein kid returning?  If so that receiving core is going to be deadly, although I heard that Haynes may be playing a lot of RB next year.  He did play it very well in 1 game last year when Quinny was out.  If for any reason Garrett doesn't live up to the hype, which I think he will, Franks and Simmons both are ex- QB's with tons of althletic ability and nice arms as well.  Everything will be fine in Mustangland.  Now, if we can just get some smarter folks on the school board.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin