Bats

braves24

I also have a 2009 Louisville Slugger TPX EXOGRID Youth bat for sale.  31 inch, 19.5 oz. 2 1/4 in barrell. Paid $250, Asking $150.

My son used a 2008 during regular league that was under warranty & they replaced it with a new 2009 right before his last All Star Game. He only used it once & now wants a big barrel for Babe Ruth.

• 2 weeks later...

My son will be playing his first year of Babe Ruth as a 13 yr old, and he wants a big barrell bat.  He used a Louisville Slugger EXOGRID in Little League (31 in, 19.5 oz)  I have no idea how to pick a big barrell bat or what brand would be best for him.  Any advice?

There are a lot of good bats out there. The size of the barrel is on the bat 2 5/8 is a big barrel. I would let him swing a bat and let him choose. He will have confidence in the bat. I would push him toward a drop 3 bat ( 31in /28 oz) this will prepare him for HS baseball.

If anyone has a good USED bat (preferably a 28/16) Big Barrel I am interested.  PM me.

My son was given several bats recently and I will go through them and see what he has.  If he has any that matches what you are looking for, I will let you know.  Give me a few days though to gather everything up and organize it all.

When our team of 13 yr old went to the drop 3 there were some concerns. We had big and small players. They all adjusted very well. This gave them a whole year of swinging the -3, befor they reached HS.  If you have him swing a -7 then -5 then -3 you will be selling even more bats on this forum. Remember we are talking oz. not lb.

Guest Silsbee88

When our team of 13 yr old went to the drop 3 there were some concerns. We had big and small players. They all adjusted very well. This gave them a whole year of swinging the -3, befor they reached HS.  If you have him swing a -7 then -5 then -3 you will be selling even more bats on this forum. Remember we are talking oz. not lb.

This guy has absolutely no idea what he is talking about.  Unless, your son is a strong 13 yr old, he does should not swing a -3.  Notice I did not say could not, I said should not.  The weight of the bat has a lot to do with bat speed.  A 13 yrs old can swing a -3 but he will not be able to generate the bat speed he can with a lighter bat.  This changes several things, first he will have to committ to the pitch much sooner or he will be late on everything and the slower bat speed will not allow the same jump off the bat head.  My son is 13 and he swings a -3 in the cage and a -5 in games.  The -5 is a transitional bat and is made to transition from league play to high school play.  Yes there is a big difference in a -3 and a -5.

Guest Silsbee88

Why is it that last year you could use a 2 3/4" barrell in the junior/senior league at bc but this year they tell us you can't? Just a question.

Little League (National) changed the rules for this year, cannot use more than a 2 5/8" diameter.  See link page 3.

http://www.littleleague.org/Assets/forms_pubs/RR_Changes_BB_09_10-30-08.pdf

Silsbee88 you are absolutely right about bat speed with a light bat. And also about having to start earlier with the swing. These are some of the same issues that were brought up when our team decided to go the -3. All of the players on our team did very well. Not everyone has the $$$$ for all the different bats. If your son can hit the ball in the cage with a -3 why not let him swing the bat at live pitching?

Guest Silsbee88

Silsbee88 you are absolutely right about bat speed with a light bat. And also about having to start earlier with the swing. These are some of the same issues that were brought up when our team decided to go the -3. All of the players on our team did very well. Not everyone has the $$$$ for all the different bats. If your son can hit the ball in the cage with a -3 why not let him swing the bat at live pitching?

I have him swing a -3 in the cage for strength training.  If you ask several pro players use weighted bats in the cage for soft toss etc.  It helps develop the inside out swing.  I use it more for muscle memory and strength training.  I know not everyone has the money to spend on multiple bats, that is why I would recommend anyone in the 13 to 14 yr old group swing a -5.  The -3 should be utilized at the end of the 14 yr old group to prepare for high school. 

You may not want my advice since I have absolutey no idea what i am talking about, but when I coached 5 yr olds as long as he can swing the bat with good speed i would say stay with that bat. Make sure his glove is big enough for the ball, not his hand. It is really kinda hard to tell someone what size bat a kid needs without watching that kid swing. Really at this age the kids are more concerned about how big the snowcone is rather than how big a bat they are swinging. Make sure he is having fun playing the game!!!

I've got a 5 year old who had a TPX 25/12.5 ounce.....He's a small kid with good bat control....

Any bats I could look at for this young age...I was just thinking maybe a little heavier of a bat...Maybe a 25/15 or so....Not looking to blow the big money yet...

Any advice would be great...

Guest Silsbee88

I've got a 5 year old who had a TPX 25/12.5 ounce.....He's a small kid with good bat control....

Any bats I could look at for this young age...I was just thinking maybe a little heavier of a bat...Maybe a 25/15 or so....Not looking to blow the big money yet...

Any advice would be great...

Does your son play league or tournament?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder