WO-S ISD TAKS Issue Dead!!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too much money for the buses? If you guys only knew some of the dumb things that board has approved for certain projects that cost tens of thousands.....we had a reporter there the last few meetings. Someone needs to report what projects they are approving and for how much....ridiculous.

Maybe they view those projects as being a higher priority.   What makes their decisions ridiculous and what business is it of an outside group/newsrag to determine such?  It would be great if folks played a more active in their school boards and fully understood the entire picture.  I would be curious as to the parental involvment the schools receive.  It is truly sad when the only things coming from a school appear to be negative and adversarial between the community and school.

Too much money for the buses? If you guys only knew some of the dumb things that board has approved for certain projects that cost tens of thousands.....we had a reporter there the last few meetings. Someone needs to report what projects they are approving and for how much....ridiculous.

Maybe they view those projects as being a higher priority.   What makes their decisions ridiculous and what business is it of an outside group/newsrag to determine such?  It would be great if folks played a more active in their school boards and fully understood the entire picture.  I would be curious as to the parental involvment the schools receive.  It is truly sad when the only things coming from a school appear to be negative and adversarial between the community and school.

1What makes their decisions ridiculous and what business is it of an outside group/newsrag to determine such? Because it is a public meeting and this is a public forum. Everyone has a right to comment.....as did you. And I respect your opinion!  ;)

If I were running a school board and knew we had some tough decisions to make, I would hold a "town meeting" with all the parents and ask for suggestions. This way you may get a few supporters or possibly find out whats important to the people who pay the taxes. I agree education is first and WO-S has its issues, but 6 people should not make those types of decisions without at least a warning.

as the say: IMO  :-X

I find it funny another Board member was late.

Now all of the sudden they don't think they should pick out single items to cut. They think they should look at the whole budget to decide what is best to cut. Really? I wonder which genius came up with that idea. It seems they could use the $10,000 that was saved on the Dan R Hooks sign to pay for the busing. They said no one had come up with an optional way to pay for it. Now they have one. Dr. Collins himself told me they were going to fix the sign and then didn't so use the money he was going to use to pay for busing.

It's just odd that they pick out one thing and then decide not to piece mill it? Had this been part of a $500,000 plan to cut the budget it would have been much easier to swallow.

I can only speak for myself but I am in the school as a parent every single day. There are many many things I do at the school and for the school. Not only do I volunteer my money but also my time, for athletics and academic programs as well.

How many times do they need to vote on something to make it stick? Geez!

They need to stick to their guns and go on to the next order of business. If they keep wavering on these issues, nobody will take them seriously.

A lot of people are accused of being "WOS haters".  That's not always the case...sometimes it's just easier to see things a little clearer when you're not emotionally involved.  I agree and don't think the WOS school board has any intention of overturning their decision to cut some of the budget by stopping the extra busing. 

No matter where the cuts come from not everybody will be happy...will they waver on those decisions too?

Just read TD's post.

???

From TD

Now all of the sudden they don't think they should pick out single items to cut. They think they should look at the whole budget to decide what is best to cut. Really? I wonder which genius came up with that idea. It seems they could use the $10,000 that was saved on the Dan R Hooks sign to pay for the busing. They said no one had come up with an optional way to pay for it. Now they have one. Dr. Collins himself told me they were going to fix the sign and then didn't so use the money he was going to use to pay for busing.

It's just odd that they pick out one thing and then decide not to piece mill it? Had this been part of a $500,000 plan to cut the budget it would have been much easier to swallow.

Just read TD's post.

???

From TD

That would take care of this years cost...what about next year?

I truly wish all the concerned WOS fans and district citizens good luck in trying to get this issue and other tough decisions resolved.  It's not going to be easy.

Just read TD's post.

???

From TD

I truly wish all the concerned WOS fans and district citizens good luck in trying to get this issue and other tough decisions resolved.  It's not going to be easy.

Well let's see I only had a few days to come up with that.  ;D  If we get it resolved for this year we can get to the root of the real problem and correct the entire budget. Seriously can a budget be piece milled like this? No. If it gets corrected and done properly you may not need to even cut the busing. For now I think we should have stopped hiring people. Unless I'm mistaken we have hired a few since the storm. How much sense does that make?

Just read TD's post.

???

From TD

Well let's see I only had a few days to come up with that.   ;D  If we get it resolved for this year we can get to the root of the real problem and correct the entire budget. Seriously can a budget be piece milled like this? No. If it gets corrected and done properly you may not need to even cut the busing. For now I think we should have stopped hiring people. Unless I'm mistaken we have hired a few since the storm. How much sense does that make?

:-X :-X          ;D

How big is WOS' coaching staff compared to other teams our size?  I heard that we have a very large coaching staff for the size of school we are. 

WOS has lost FIVE coaching positions that HAVE NOT been replaced.  The most recent was from last year.  A coach left and no replacement was moved up to the varsity staff, so the information that the board member who spoke last night about "alternative solutions such as giving up a coach" is erroneous and there was no opportunity to rebut the statement.  That is another problem with the "system".  The school board can sit there and discuss things OUT LOUD.....whatever comes to the top of their head at the moment, whether it is accurate or not accurate, and not a thing can be said to them.  It's almost like being in a trial when the judge says, "Jury, you will disregard the last statement  made by the key witness".  It's a little too late not to have heard it!  Same thing with last night.  The board member just threw something out there without even checking out the facts and then had the audacity to be "embarassed" by the way the vote was handled to start with back in November.  The board member even SAID that not enough information and input was gathered before they voted and THEN that same board member went and made comments that were unfounded and unresearched.  Don't speak if you don't know what you are talking about.  Don't vote unless you know all the facts and know what you are voting for or against.  Do your homework!!!!!  That's why you're there!!!!! 

How big is WOS' coaching staff compared to other teams our size?  I heard that we have a very large coaching staff for the size of school we are. 

I'm not sure. I would guess that coaches and all other positions will be looked at before next year. I did hear Coach Hooks say in a school board meeting that he lost 4 coaching positions last year that he did not fill this year.

WOS has lost FIVE coaching positions that HAVE NOT been replaced.  The most recent was from last year.  A coach left and no replacement was moved up to the varsity staff, so the information that the board member who spoke last night about "alternative solutions such as giving up a coach" is erroneous and there was no opportunity to rebut the statement.  That is another problem with the "system".  The school board can sit there and discuss things OUT LOUD.....whatever comes to the top of their head at the moment, whether it is accurate or not accurate, and not a thing can be said to them.  It's almost like being in a trial when the judge says, "Jury, you will disregard the last statement  made by the key witness".  It's a little too late not to have heard it!  Same thing with last night.  The board member just threw something out there without even checking out the facts and then had the audacity to be "embarassed" by the way the vote was handled to start with back in November.  The board member even SAID that not enough information and input was gathered before they voted and THEN that same board member went and made comments that were unfounded and unresearched.  Don't speak if you don't know what you are talking about.  Don't vote unless you know all the facts and know what you are voting for or against.  Do your homework!!!!!  That's why you're there!!!!! 

I think you may have hit the nail on the head. There are some board members that act like they haven't seen any information on the issues that are on the agenda. I appears as if they haven't even looked or asked any questions about the things they are going to vote on. Do they not look over what is on the agenda?  I would think that if they aren't going to research these items then how can they vote on them. The information they receive at the meetings isn't always accurate. Just like the cost of the busing.

UUUMMMMMM

WO-S board member explains late arrival

Tommy Mann, Jr.

The Orange Leader

ORANGE — The wheels on this bus just keep going round and round.

For the third time in four meetings, the West Orange-Cove Consolidated Independent School District once again voted on whether or not to continue a long standing program of transporting students home via school bus following extra-curricular activities such as games, practices, and other UIL-related events.

For the second time in seven days, the school board reached a 3-to-3 tie on the issue. Here is where the most recent issue surfaces.

The late arrival of West Orange-Cove school board member Eric Mitchell led to another stalemate vote on a transportation cutback issue in the district, which has been a topic of discussion for more than two months.

Less than one minute after the other six school board members made their votes known and moved on to the next agenda item, Mitchell strolled in through the standing room only crowd to take his seat at the table.

However, reports have surfaced that even though Mitchell arrived late to Monday’s meeting, he was seen in the Administration Building’s foyer several minutes prior to the board members voting while the discussion was taking place.

“Yes, I was there while the meeting was taking place,†Mitchell said. “I had my grandbaby with me, and I was waiting on my wife to arrive and pick our grandbaby up.â€

Mitchell voted against rescinding and re-instating the transportation program at the Jan. 20 meeting.

“I stayed out front because I had missed the deliberation part of the meeting,†Mitchell added. “I didn’t feel it was right for me to vote on the issue when I was not part of the discussion. Everyone already knows how I voted at the last meeting.â€

Board member Nancy Byers, who was absent from the Jan. 20 board meeting, voted against re-instating the transportation program Monday. Even though Monday’s meeting ended with a tie vote, just as the Jan. 20 meeting did, Byers’ decision makes her the fourth of seven board members against re-instatement of this program.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder