DO HIGH SCHOOL ATHELETES PARENTS GET PAY RAISES TO RELOCATE THEM

liltex

This topic is not new and has been the topic in many a drug store coffee shop-barber shop-and in booster club meetings.Does it happen?Yes it does especially in the larger petro-chemical and oil field boom towns.Very easy to give a employee a job promotion and transfer to relocate there atheletic children from 1 town to another.Everybody wants to be financially better off and a chance for future promotions.You have to question sometimes when a certain school just keeps fielding great teams year after year.I know some of those have great long time coaches but still it is a possibility that not 1 person can prove otherwise.What do you think?Talent just grows up there-The coach is just better than most others-They are just lucky-Secretly they got transferred there.

I do not believe he needs any money or a job.I am talking realistic and the subject was brought up years ago nationally on Odessa Permian but no evidence could be presented so it did not go anywhere although people talked about it alot.I know there are exceptions where great coaches have been a mainstay for playoff teams for years.Over a course of years where a town's growth has escalated the population and they keep winning many titles in all sports from 1A up thru 4A w/alot of coaching changes in between causes one to speculate.And it has made news about college players getting gifts to them and their families to play for them has it not.And doesn't the Steinbrenners get the best baseball players money can buy?

I do not believe he needs any money or a job.I am talking realistic and the subject was brought up years ago nationally on Odessa Permian but no evidence could be presented so it did not go anywhere although people talked about it alot.I know there are exceptions where great coaches have been a mainstay for playoff teams for years.Over a course of years where a town's growth has escalated the population and they keep winning many titles in all sports from 1A up thru 4A w/alot of coaching changes in between causes one to speculate.And it has made news about college players getting gifts to them and their families to play for them has it not.And doesn't the Steinbrenners get the best baseball players money can buy?

That's because Steinbrenner actually buys them.  Professionals get paid genius.  Look at teams like WOS. Maybe they aren't the best, but they have been consistently dominant in football.  However, the big names in their program are names that have been in that area for quite awhile, so that is rarely the case.  If it does happen then let it be, things have a way of working out in the end.

Ditto that.  WO-S is beginning to see children of the 1986-1988 football teams who seem to be some pretty good athletes as well.

I don't see WO-S qualifying as one of those schools.

That being said, I know that parents sometimes research to find the best place to relocate somewhere that has a good athletic program.  I do think that it just happens sometimes, but it wouldn't surprise me if there are some guilty of this.

It seems like there is ALWAYS talk of Dan Hooks recruiting to WO_S.  I don't know if it is true. Is it? Probably not since they always are dropping a classification. 

No, I do not believe Coach Hooks or any other coach "recruits" to WO-S.  It makes for good headlines and topics though...  ???

No need to recruit at WOS.  If you look at the names of all of the stars that have come through WOS, they are all either brothers or sons of past stars.  The bloodlines runs deep, we usually know who will be the studs of their class once they are in about the 5th grade.  Just to throw some names at you (Franks, Thomas, Garrett, Feathers, Steen), just to name a few.  It seems as though we have one of these names doing well every year.  I personally seen most of them play little league in Orange.  I too, work with a bunch of people whose always saying that Hooks recruits.  I don't see it though.  Only name that I can think of that came to WOS later on in High School is Kelly Robertson, who came from PNG.  Not sure if he was recruited as much as he was searching the area for a place to start, because of another stud QB already on PNG's roster.  If you could choose your school, why not play for a champion.  He chose a school, where he could go deep in the playoffs and get exposure.  That's my personal opinion, and I don't see anythng wrong with it.  Worked out for both him and WOS.  He helped the team, and Hooks helped him become a complete player, who also did well at the next level.

Guys, I know some players who have moved from out of state to play with some basketball teams here in Texas Let's see, one kid moved from NC to Houston and he is now in the 7th grade. Another kid is came in this year from Fla. to Dallas and he's in the 6th grade. Hmmm? There is one more on another team (6th grade now) and plays in Dallas. The parents were given jobs except the Fla. kid, his dad has his own business. Are you seeing a trend here? It's bigger than your local communities and look at the grades these kids are in; it's happening in now.

This subject made national news a number of years ago about this topic right here in Texas about Permian.It could not be proven it happened although alot of people thought otherwise.So can it occur?Probably.Does it happen?Probably-Let's take a look at all the Colleges that have been accused and were guilty of giving gifts(cars,homes) to come play for them secretly.NCAA did not allow them bowl games.(SMU) has never recovered from the effects as they hardly get many good players like they once did.In some areas of rapid growth a tiny little town goes from a 1A school to a 4A school w/lots of differant coaches and wins state in all kinds of high school sports both boy's and girls all through those years.If  several close by 5A schools are nearby do they get job promotion transfers?

As a high school coach of 25 years I have seen a lot, but I haven't heard of many instances where parents were given jobs to relocate for their athletic children. Of course, the area where this would be prevalent would be small to med size towns with industry, which describes the Golden Triangle and East Texas. So to say it doesn't happen would be like saying all politicians are honest!  Now what I do witness is parents who move their children/athletes to areas to play under established programs with established winning coaches. Some examples in the Houston area are North Shore football, Katy football, Hightower football, Dayton football, Wheatley basketball, Hightower basketball, Woodlands football, Kingwood Soccer, Kingwood basketball, Kingwood baseball, Bellaire baseball, Cinco Ranch track & field and I know the same happens in girls sports, but I am not as knowledgeable. This is nothing more than parents using their ability to move their career for what they consider is best for their children. In the early 90's, I was football at Clear Lake and we had a move in from Centerville Texas (1A) to Clear Lake so he could play basketball under Bill Krueger who had recently won a state championship and was the runnerup the next. The ironic thing is he only played basketball his junior year, along with football, but never played his senior year as he was being heavily recruited by Notre Dame and A & M as a defensive lineman and tight end. He went on to become a great center for A & M and for the COLTS and Texans. His name is Steve McKinney and has a sports show on 1560 the GAME from Houston with an LSU fanatic.

It is not just those with $ who can do this. Sometimes those with less can do this easier. We are currently involved in a situation where a mother with "3" tremendously gifted athletes continues to move from school zone to school zone because she can more easily re locate by apartment. It is destroying the kids though. They are not grounded at all and have no father. I am hoping they get back, not only for their athletic ability, but because they are great kids and desperately need male guidance.

Sorry to ramble, just my observations during a long coaching career.

Coach Bear

Boy, did I overlook a big one, seriously, people at the Hill take their athletics VERY SERIOUSLY and get a lot of move ins for athletics. I saw one of my former linebackers who moved into BH for the soul purpose of having his elementary age sons play there in their near future. Good job pointing out my oversight.

The Hill had 5 regular undefeated seasons in the 8 yrs.from 1999-2006-7 undefeated complete seasons all time-tied for 2nd.in UIL history w/Odessa Permian.This must be a record the 1930 team in 7 games scored 295 points without allowing a single point scored against them.WOW This is only football and the other sports have great teams as well-girls have dominated in basketball as well.They border 3 Baytown schools and Crosby/Channelview to the west-Dayton to the north.Some of my classmates played some at Barbers Hill/Some at Dayton as the county line in Old River is the divider.

I know that as a parent of younger kids (7, 2) that I took athletics as a consideration into what school district I decided to live in based on family history of what sports we are consistently good at.  Now, will either of my two make it even to the high school level?  Who knows?  But it was a consideration along with academics and the rural lifestyle I was looking for.

I know that as a parent of younger kids (7, 2) that I took athletics as a consideration into what school district I decided to live in based on family history of what sports we are consistently good at.  Now, will either of my two make it even to the high school level?  Who knows?  But it was a consideration along with academics and the rural lifestyle I was looking for.

Now you let "the cat out of the bag." It's too late, I've moved into a district that focuses on football and thinks basketball is a conditioning sport for baseball.

At least I'm not taking it to the extreme of red-shirting them so they don't start kindergarten until they're 6, lol.  Although, the girl is only two, hmmmmmmmmm...

I've known people who have moved into districts that offered special ed programs so why would people who were interested in their kids achieving certain athletic goals be any different?

I agree wih the sentiments about school being the priority. You would not believe the number of folks who hold their kids back for athletic reasons. I was 17 when I graduated from High school, turned 18 the summer before college. My kids will have just turned 18 when they graduate. There are many kids who are driving halfway thru their freshmen year and will be 19 and a half when they graduate from high school. They were already older kids for their age group, ie September - December birthdays and got held back. How can I hold a kid back who is emotionally mature and ahead of his group from a reading and math skills standpoint, for high school sports, no way. Yeah he may have had a bigger senior year, but my oldest is now a 19 year old Junior in standing in college, vs a 19 year old senior in high school!  Give me a break!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder