Will Nederland Ever Go Deep In The Playoffs Again?

Guest Nederland Bulldogs

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Over the last few years Nederland's Defense has about 5 INT's. The 2001 team had over 20 INT's on the season and i believe that they were something like +18 in turnover margin. That equals success.

Great point...turnover margin is key to success at any level of football.

• 2 months later...

Good point about the DBs, they used to play hardnosed on the recievers and lay some wood on them when they tackled. Not so much now. Also, it does seem that after Mohica graduated that we are not getting the push from the D-line that we used to. Maybe the coaches can feed  this line coming up some raw meat, make them mean!! ;)

Well get ready, we have some nice size coming up and a couple of DB's that will hit you. One of the problem that we have had was low numbers of players, I think it was two years ago we had 35 on the side line. You have to have more players if you want to go deep in the playoffs. But I guess that is the DC's fault! I think our defense could improve but if you remove the DC you may not get anyone better you could do worse. We have a lot of talent coming up they should be a great group to watch, now how long did you say it was till week zero?

Our friends over at PN-G thinks a new OC and DC are going to improve their chances.  So maybe changes do help.

Well get ready, we have some nice size coming up and a couple of DB's that will hit you. One of the problem that we have had was low numbers of players, I think it was two years ago we had 35 on the side line. You have to have more players if you want to go deep in the playoffs. But I guess that is the DC's fault! I think our defense could improve but if you remove the DC you may not get anyone better you could do worse. We have a lot of talent coming up they should be a great group to watch, now how long did you say it was till week zero?

Nederland could do a lot worse, monumentally worse, than Delbert Spell as DC ... he does a tremendous job of putting his kids in position to make plays ... like Matt Burnett used to do for PN-G ... Delbert Spell schemes well, puts his kids in position to make a play, and makes adjustments to fit his personnel.  What more can you ask for from a HS coach?  A HS athlete's talent level, size, speed, heart, and character tend to make HS coaches look above average, average, or below average.

PN-G made its changes ... it too, could do a lot worse than Matt Burnett.  But, a change was made and I'm happy to roll with Coach Faircloth.  The PN-G faithful are thankful for what Matt Burnett did for our kids ... he's a special Indian that stands for everything PN-G was, is, and will be going forward.  Change happens.  Time for a new chapter of Indian history with Coach Faircloth.  My point is, schools like Nederland and PN-G could do a lot worse than Larry Neumann, Delbert Spell, Matt Burnett, etc.  HS sports are cyclical ... enjoy the runs when you get them and work harder when your program is on the other side of the cycle.

Looking forward to a great season in 2009.

Go Indians.  Peace.

• 3 weeks later...

Nederlands defense is not what it used to be, i keep hearing about all these 2 and 3 year starting qb's but they never deliver, they have the luxury to play all the week teams first so they usually are 3-0 or 4-0 in district, then they go on a 2 or 3 game losing streak towards the end of the season

I have watched Nederland for about 15 years, 1 or 2 games a season, the defense used to punch you in the mouth, now they play soft

Actually Matt, from what I've seen, Nederland usually schedules pretty tough preseason games, teams like LaMarque and others. I wish sometimes L-Town would do that, different coaching philosophies I guess. You are right though, BigNeds D's haven't been what they should be to make a deep playoff run and until they do get a tough D going on it's not going to matter how well the offensive unit or quarterback does, defense wins the big games. Look at last years Lumberton/Nederland game as evidence, L-town 's D shut down the offense and then ran over Ned's D in a big way. I forgot to answer the question though, will Nederland ever go deep again, sure they will.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kinghoyn
    Newest Member
    kinghoyn