Nice Article About Matt Kirby

Academy's Kirby adjusting to college

Midfielder helps Denver clinch conference title, NCAA berth

By onathan Yardley  / HoustonDynamo.com 

Former Dynamo Academy star Matt Kirby is now plying his trade for the University of Denver. (Rich Clarkson & Assoc.)

Print this  |  E-mail this

• More Dynamo Youth Development

The first season of college soccer has not always been an easy one for Dynamo Academy product Matt Kirby.

One of the Academy's leading exports, Kirby has had to deal with the challenge that faces many high school stars -- fitting into a different role on his college team. But he has stuck with it and appeared in 15 of 16 games for the University of Denver this season.

His most tangible contribution yet came Saturday afternoon, when Kirby set up senior Joey Mathot for the game-winning goal in the 72nd minute, helping the Pioneers clinch their first Mountain Pacific Sports Federation championship and an automatic berth in the NCAA tournament. Kirby played only 13 minutes in the match as a substitute but made a big difference in his limited time.

"I haven't been getting as much time as I have wanted," Kirby admitted earlier this season. "It's just that you don't play as much as a freshman until you show how you can play. It is tough as a freshman to get in there and show what you can do."

Kirby has made four starts this season, but Denver head coach Bobby Muuss said the biggest key to earning more playing time is increasing his work rate as a two-way player.

"The biggest thing not only for Matthew, but for the other guys, is the way our wide midfielders play: We defend a lot," Muuss said. "Matt came from a system where he almost played a little bit more of a 4-3-3, where he was a winger and a forward, so I think he is seeing the adjustment a little bit that way. As long as he continues to do the right things on and off the field, he is going to have a great college career."

Dynamo Director of Youth Development James Clarkson said Kirby's adjustment period, while not ideal, is typical for players transitioning from youth soccer to the faster, more physical college game.

"It goes for all of them," Clarkson said. "The adjustment is quite big. It's the leaving home, being the youngest guy on the team, traveling, schoolwork, responsibility ... it's really a big adjustment that takes time. It does highlight how big the gap is between the Academy and the professional game, and we're trying to narrow that gap."

Kirby entered his college career after a terrific stint with the Dynamo Academy, where he regularly commuted the two hours from his Beaumont home to participate in Dynamo workouts. The time and effort, Kirby said, was well worth it.

"My academy experience was really good; it prepared me better than anything else could have," Kirby said. "I think when I came in I was fast and just worked hard, but I was a little lost on the field. But by the time I came out of there, I really knew how to play the position and where to be on the field, not just running around with no point."

Laid-back and unassuming while watching the Dynamo take on the Colorado Rapids just outside of Denver on October 4, Kirby is more fiery on the field, where his bursts of speed make him a dangerous attacking option.

"First off, he is fast," Muuss said. "When you see him play, something jumps out in front of you saying, 'Hey, this kid has got something.' And with the ball, his speed running at people, I thought he was one of the most dangerous players that I had seen. Also, the ability he has to get behind defenses and just cause a fit because of his athleticism. His service into the box is quality as well. And most importantly, and I know this sounds corny, but he is an extremely great kid."

Kirby's stint with the Dynamo Academy U-18 team was highlighted by the team's run to the championship of the Dallas Cup U-19 group in March 2008. Locked in a scoreless tie in the final against IMG Soccer Academy, which had beaten Houston in the 2007 final, Kirby stepped up for a loose ball at midfield, raced past three defenders, and slotted the ball underneath the charging goalkeeper. The second-half tally was the only goal of the match.

"That was incredible," Kirby said. "James [Clarkson] gave us a speech at halftime saying that big players needed to step up for the rest of the game, and the big players needed to help us win this. Then I stepped up, scored the goal, and that felt pretty good."

Although it has not been easy, Kirby has now shown some of his game-changing abilities at the college level, and both Denver and the Dynamo hope to see more of the same in the future.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami