Your Teams Most Heartbreaking Loss?

Guest Kelly Football

Guest GoStangs

Here is part of my account of what happened in the 2000 WOS-NED game, as printed in the County Record newspaper.

With the Mustangs leading 14-10, time running out, and the Dogs driving deep into Mustang territory without any time outs remaining, Barbay reached back and threw a hitch pass to Ramoin, who positioned himself at wide-out. The pass was high, Ramoin put his hands on it, but was hit as soon as the ball reached him and he dropped the pass. Mustang Paul Thomas alertly scooped up the pigskin and raced down the field 83 yards for the TD while Nederland players stood around thinking the play should have been ruled dead as an incomplete pass.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GoStangs

I thought you all lost to Bay City in the regional finals in 2000. I remember you all losing to Shertz-Clemens in the semis, though -- I think it was in 01.

Guest GoStangs

I can imagine that was definitely a heart breaking loss for Dog fans. You all had a great team that year, and if you all beat Bay City (who eventually won the D1 state title that year), I think NED would have had a very good chance to have won it all that year.

My junior year we delt with a pile of injuries early on in district and lose to West Sabine 14-13. We go on to shutout undefeated Hemphill who was ranked #8 in the state and a huge favorite. We play East Chambers in the final week. We win, we're district champs, we lose, no playoffs. EC went up 36-21 midway through the 4th quarter led by TJ White, Jeff Ward, Jason Thomas and Co. With about 4 mins left in the game Kory Brett throws me a dump pass which I take to the house from about 25yards out making it 36-29 EC after the two point conversion is good. We kick an onside kick and I blast EC QB (and good friend of mine) Hank Hargraves causing the mishandle and we recover. Bobcat nation is going nuts. Brett completes a couple crazy passes including one that is a sure pick that bounces up and into Bobcat backup QB/WR Jason Sullivans hands for a 1st down on 4th and 12. With right at a minute left Brett hits me again on a drag and I barely break the plain after a collision with two Buc defenders. The fans are really going nuts now. Game is 36-35 EC with after point pending. Game was tied on penetrations but they had us on first downs so we had to go for two. K.Brett bobbles the snap, scoops it up and falls about a foot short of the goal line. East Chambers wins 36-35 and makes the playoffs as second place team, Hemphill gets the district championship and we go home :cry:

I guess that one was so tough since I took it personal that we didnt' win that one. Hemphill took our slot in the playoffs and went on to the 3rd round of the playoffs. East Chambers went on to dominate our district for the next 6 or 7 years after that. It hurt even worse because my future college roommate (Chad Benoit) played TE and blocked me 1 on 1 all night long. I heard that story over and over for years to come!!!

The second story happened about 3 or 4 years ago in Daisetta again. HD had lost a district game just like in the previous situation. They were playing Anahauc basically for 3rd place and a trip to the playoffs. Everyone thought if we beat the Panthers we make the playoffs. The deal was we had to beat them by a certain amount of points. HD scores with less than a minute left in the game to go up 26-14 I believe. We go for two and they stuff us at the goal line. We had to win by more than 13 and they stop us and we win by 12. Anahauc gets a spot in the playoffs even though HD wins against them. Weirdest thing I've ever seen. Anahauc's kids are going nuts after HD wins the game. That one was a heartbreaker.

Sorry I took up so much space, but had to give you guys who'll take the time to read it the details :lol:

War Bobcats :evil:

I believe Sheldon Smith caught that one.

Yes it was Sheldon Smith.... and I remember that Nederland was celebrating like the game was over.

WOS got the ball and Nederland was in a REGULAR DEFENSE with only a few seconds left and Smith just ran right past em for the TD catch.

I know you have to go back a good way' date=' but the 1983 LCM vs. Jasper Game was a heartbreaker. LCM held 14-13 lead late in the game, only to lose it on a last second field goal 16-14. Great football game! Also , the 1997 Bears loss to Nederland where Havard scrambled late and found a receiver in teh end zone to win it. I also remember some great goal line stands in that game by Aubrey Brisendine and the rest of the Dogs.[/quote']

I'll go back even further to 1979 when LCM handed Jasper their first loss with a late field goal in the final seconds of the game to defeat the #1 State ranked Bulldogs 10 to 7.

Regarding the Plano-John Tyler game' date=' it was Plano that got all those on side kicks in a row, but after finally taking the lead with just a few seconds left, Plano decided to just kick it deep to John Tyler and that's when the John Tyler player returned the kickoff for a touchdown to win the game.[/quote']

It was Plano East, not Plano. I was at that game with my brother. It was a double header with Plano-Tyler Lee followed by PESH-John Tyler. We watched the first game and were really excited for the PESH-Tyler game. Both teams were undefeated. It was a good game up until like midway 3rd quarter when Marc Broyles for Tyler returned a fumble to blow it open. So we decided to leave then!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I regret that decision everyday.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest TravelingBandsman

I think we lost to Bay City in the '03 season. I remember in the '02 season actually, I was coming back from Thanksgiving holiday, the playoffs started a bit earlier that year, and we were listening to the radio on our game, I know we were 14-0 that year, because I remember going to a game, and seeing 13-0 on the back of a car and we won that one so it must have been Semifinals, but we lost, and I want to say New Braunsfels.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    catherine
    Newest Member
    catherine