Something off my chest - Fire the Coach!

Reading the boards over the past few weeks has revealed a repetition of something every school, high or college (and I'm a Baylor guy so I should know), goes through and that is to blame a lack of success of a football team (in these cases) on the coach or coaching.

Once upon a time I believed teams were based on 75% talent and 20% coaching and 5% to other. However, over the past dozen or so years I've come to realize that it's probably closer to 50-50 because if the coach doesn't know what or how to do with the talent, then it doesn't matter how much "displaced" talent you may have.

Fortunately I'm at Dayton where coaching makes up for, in some cases, a lack of talent and especially numbers. On those ocasssions where we have had (do have) the talent, it's even better, or maybe I should say, easier.

I just did the roster for this week's game and Dayton will take 43 players who may see the field. Yeah, they'll probably throw in some others (fish or jv) for reward and for show, but "the team" will be made up of the main 43. Last year it was about 10 less, and Stewart ain't much "for show."

But for those coaches who have been successful and then the team goes down or doesn't make the playoffs (heaven forbid), there are other reasons and fingers can't be just conveniently and easily be pointed at the coach.

How would you like your job to depend on 15, 16, 17, with very few if any 18 year olds? Sometimes a coach is interferred with. I've known of cases such as where a "dad" didn't like his son riding the bench or not getting enough playing time and actually pressured a friend on the board to do something about it. Thankfully there are coaches, like Stewart at Dayton, Price at Barbers Hill, Neuman at Nederland and several others, who'd tell them what for and where to stick it, but some, desperate to keep their job will play the game (as well as the inferior athlete) to keep things status quo.

There are other reasons as well, and we're not always privy to that. Believe it or not, there have actually been cases where two key players, fighting over a skirt (pardon me ladies) and took it on the field and were unable to be supportive of each other and otherwise put forth the effort. Stranger things have happened, believe it.

In my learned opinion there are 4 questions and if you can answer yes to each one, then you should have no reason to want to be rid of your coach. I'll give one: 30-60 years ago everybody played football, were respectful, did what they were told and played as hard as they can. Today we have a bunch of primadonnas who think they are minature pros that should only concentrate on playing one sport and to do that will make them better at it, when to be honest, they might not be "that good" at all. Then you have kids out there, not for themselves but for a parent or relative, and what's worse, you have some out there because they literally have nothing else to do.

1. Does he have a firm grasp of the concepts of the games, full knowledge of offense and defense and the ability to know how to execute or defend them, respectively?

2. Does he care about the kids (genuine) and put them, their safety and their well-being first?

3. Do he and his staff put in the time necessary to have a winning team, and folks, we're not talking just 40-50 hours a week here. (i.e., is he dedicated)

4. Does he continuously study the game to find ways to make his team better and instill the same values throughout his coaching staff?

That's my thoughts, FYI.

Guest gladiator2

Unfortunately, coaches have to depend on 14,15,16,17, and 18 year old kid's in the coaching profession. That is the choice of profession that each coach went into. No one ever told them it was going to be easy. Some jobs are easier than others, but being honest every job has it's own problems. So I don't feel sorry for any coach who has a complaint of having to depend on teenagers to keep their job. There is pressure in just about every job and complaining gets them no where. Therefore, I don't feel sorry for no one who has to whine about their job duties and the consequences if they don't get their job done. This is not the old days and a lot has changed. Parents use to be able to give their kid's a good ol' kick in the butt without having to look over their shoulder.

Well I have spanked my kids where ever we were when they needed it and I would dare anyone to say something to me.  I have good kids too but they also know that Momma doesn't play.  I did get a look from a woman once when we lived in CO because they have strick child abuse laws and that was 16 years ago.  Still didn't stop me. I still popped her when she needed it.

I love the STEWART AIN'T MUCH FOR SHOW  comment That is funny because I have seen Dayton live and on film and They want to show-boat every time they make a run, make a catch or make a big hit. I have even watch the coaching staff for Dayton and Some of them seem to just as much hoop n hollaring as the players do. Good Luck in the playoffs Dayton I dont think you have a coaching problem there for a long time.

I love the STEWART AIN'T MUCH FOR SHOW  comment That is funny because I have seen Dayton live and on film and They want to show-boat every time they make a run, make a catch or make a big hit. I have even watch the coaching staff for Dayton and Some of them seem to just as much hoop n hollaring as the players do. Good Luck in the playoffs Dayton I dont think you have a coaching problem there for a long time.

your full of shit, dont mistake hard coaching and playing for showboating, who do you cheer for

Guest Brubaker

Think you're from Lumberton right...

Unfortunately, coaches have to depend on 14,15,16,17, and 18 year old kid's in the coaching profession. That is the choice of profession that each coach went into. No one ever told them it was going to be easy. Some jobs are easier than others, but being honest every job has it's own problems. So I don't feel sorry for any coach who has a complaint of having to depend on teenagers to keep their job. There is pressure in just about every job and complaining gets them no where. Therefore, I don't feel sorry for no one who has to whine about their job duties and the consequences if they don't get their job done. This is not the old days and a lot has changed. Parents use to be able to give their kid's a good ol' kick in the butt without having to look over their shoulder.

It is a different world than when most coaches got into the business. Many are stuck, and if they quit now, they are too old, too many years put in to walk away. Many are wanting retirement to get here. I don't know many jobs in which you are cussed at and your kids are told " Your Dad is sorry." Not only do these coaches have to produce on the field, but many are science, math, history teachers and they have to worry about the TAKS Test.

Teaching is not a fun job and the only people they get now are people who are either too old to do something else, or in many cases, new graduates who are "trying teaching" for a few years. They discover it is really "work" and quit. If you don't think it is work, put in your application. A starting teacher in the town I live in is $28,000. My understanding is one of our teachers is thinking about leaving at the end of the year because they made more money roofing houses. He likes teaching, it is just a matter of economics. Heck of a note, the guy has a Master's degree. And is a durn good teacher.

Everyone has a right to their opinion as you. With that said I want to express mine. Sir, you couldn't be anymore irrational than what you showed in your statement about the hazards of coaching for a living. No one, yourself included should be forced to relocate their family on a whim because someone thinks winning games in high school football games is the determination of a good coach. It really depends on your criteria for defining the responsibilities of a coach and how a coach should be evaluated. A coach should be measured by the positive impact they make on the kids they touch daily. The job of a coach should be to instill discipline, pride, accountability, respect, character, and high moral values that come from being apart of the program. What people fail to realize is athletics is nothing more than an extension of the education system as a whole just as math and science and the impact most felt by any person ever playing the game was the relationships developed between he and his teammates and his coaches. That is what matters most winning games and championships is only a byproduct of the process not the goal. Relationships are whats important and how you learn to win and lose are the important factors not the number of wins and losses. And do not accuse me of being a loser because I have been on both sides in my 60+ years so I have experience enough to know.

Mike/Fisherking...Karma for you both...I agree! I will add, however, that winning (like it or not) is a part of the equation just as actually being able to fix a broken car is part of a mechanics job and being able to actually succeed at teaching little Johnny to read is expected from teachers. But, I too agree that winning isn't everything and a coach should be given ample opportunity to prove himself.

I by all means agree with the educating, promoting, and instilling pride in young men and women in HS these days....However its been a long time since I have seen a school that continues to lose across the board in athletics that toots their horn that they have school pride and school spirit.....Most of us on these boards have participated in sports and most likely had at least one boys or girls winning program that had been established at your school....In SeTexas its football for most...And of course certain schools are know for hoops, volleyball etc....But someone was winning and the pride/spirit began.....

This is where I differ from some of the previous posts....In SeTexas (Football) coaches know at 90% of the schools that success on the field is part of their duties....NEDERLAND/PNG/WBROOK/WOS etc....If looking for a new coach would not have to worry about "building pride" or "building community spirit"....In these programs the foundation is solid.....Those types of programs need what people love about sports..WINNING.....So when the next big job comes open, I hope I dont hear people shouting..."We want someone that is genuine and will teach our young men respect".....All the good ones know that and most likely have that on their plate already.....Search for the WINNER the one who has proven her or she can do it!

Example: I've seen AJ make about 50 touchdowns and when he scores, he tosses the ball to the ref and jogs to the sideline. See the same from cody every time he scores and mike dugat did the same. I've seen one of your own do much more than that on KFDM tailgate party. I'm not saying they don't talk, but they rarely make a big scene of a play and for sure no more than your own "passionate" players. As far as the coaches go, I'm glad they are enjoying their jobs... you perform better when you love what you do.

Mike,some of your comments are notable,consistant,and true.Coaches know these things happen.Our troubles are many for all of us,some parents both have lost jobs,find others at less pay,it's not right to be given a box w/your check in it @ told Thank You clean out your desk.Whatever happens he will deal w/it and There always seems to be another school lookin for a real good coach.I think in this case it has been escalated somewhat,but many times change comes back to bite you.You read the paper over there for the last few years in HS sports Lumberton has gotten more coverage in football than some others,but PNG Led the mighty 20-4A Dist.champs @ halftime-went to overtime in a losing effort-Beat crosby early a playoff team.A few plays here and there they not bad.Starting over can sometimes improve things,but lots of teams would love to turn their program around w/his credentials like 70% winning percentage.If Stewart were to leave Dayton for economic reasons,I would be sad and glad for him,and if I were a Board member I would try to get MB @ Dayton.

All that I can add is , If you have decided to become a Coach (as your profession) and think that you should not be judged on Wins/Loses but how nice you are to little jimmy then a councilor has miss led you terribly as you searched for a carear path! I do not send my kid into a football program looking for the coach to make him a better person that is my job! and if I ain't doing it then that is not the coaches problem. The coach is responsible for making him a better football player and those that surround him. Some of these kids have dedicated their selfs to athletics from 3 years old to only be herded into a program that is sub par and supported by politics. In my job I have cetain duties to perform and if they are not performed then i will be released no one is going to say " Well in know he doesn't do his job, but he makes all of the people around him happy and better people" ;D Some folks think for some strange reason that coaches do what the do for fun, nope they get paid just like the rest of us and thier job is winning nothing more nothing less.

Jealousy breeds terds, and I am thinking there are a bunch of jealous terds that just envy Dayton!!!

Quick without looking it up....

Who did PN-G beat in every game in 1975 before beating Permian in the finals (I gave you one of the answers)? What about two years later when they lost to PLano in the finals, who'd they beat?  (these are two of the most prolific years of PN-G football)....

Who did Southlake Carroll defeat in their run as the Nation's #1 ranked team?

Name the past 3 state champions in football at each class level over the past three years? What about Basketball?

Yeah...winning is important......

Fact is, we forget very easily who we win against....

People on the wrong end of a good play often mistake joy and excitement for showboating...

Who beat who-Who's the best- all just a game for entertainment,pride,character.Something off my chest,what are we going to do to change our children's future??.Those going into adulthood shortly to establish a career.Every job has it's rewards @ failure.What can we do to assure our young coming adults of a good future.A good start would be to buy american made products again-help our own economy-let the foreign thugs duke it out @ quit giving billions free gratis to all the american haters.Friday night Football for FUN in the trenches-Next year your son or daughter-or mine- side by side in foxholes @ trenches now there is the real heroes every night without any fun.

BHFAN

Go sit down and speak with Mr. Price......I think your views will change or at least you'll see a real coaches side of WHY they are in the profession. You saying that high school athletics is only about winning: nothing more/nothing less is not accurate....that's the only way I know to put it wihtout being rude.

After youv'e spoken to people like Price at BH (no state championships) or Neumann at Nederland (no state championships). If WINNING is EVERYTHING....why are these coaches still around? They've been at these schools for more than enough time to produce a state championship. BH has been to the playoffs 33 times in it's history, but never won the title. Nederland has been 29 times, but never won the title.

SO, my question, BHFAN, should coaches liek NEumann and Price be fired because they can't win the big game? If your answer is yes, then why hasn't this been done in the multiple years they've lead both of these programs. If you're answer is NO, please explain why these coaches are still employed at their respective schools...

I by all means agree with the educating, promoting, and instilling pride in young men and women in HS these days....However its been a long time since I have seen a school that continues to lose across the board in athletics that toots their horn that they have school pride and school spirit.....Most of us on these boards have participated in sports and most likely had at least one boys or girls winning program that had been established at your school....In SeTexas its football for most...And of course certain schools are know for hoops, volleyball etc....But someone was winning and the pride/spirit began.....

This is where I differ from some of the previous posts....In SeTexas (Football) coaches know at 90% of the schools that success on the field is part of their duties....NEDERLAND/PNG/WBROOK/WOS etc....If looking for a new coach would not have to worry about "building pride" or "building community spirit"....In these programs the foundation is solid.....Those types of programs need what people love about sports..WINNING.....So when the next big job comes open, I hope I dont hear people shouting..."We want someone that is genuine and will teach our young men respect".....All the good ones know that and most likely have that on their plate already.....Search for the WINNER the one who has proven her or she can do it!

Nice post

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder