Update on the PN-G coaching situation

The board should not be involved in the evaluation, reassignment or discipline of any AD, HC, coach or professional educator for that matter.  That is the superintendent's job :o.  The only employee of the district that answers to the school board is the super.  The only time the board gets involved is if the employee files a grievence with the district and appeals to the board for resolution.

Most, if not all Boards are involved in personnel discussions--they are done in closed session and should not be leaked to the public under any circumstances---personnel can be placed on the agenda by the sup or any board member---while the sup makes the final call on any particular situatuation he/she takes the chance of "going down with the ship"

I think if you read my post it states the board should not be involved in the evaluation, reassignment or discipline.  I did not state that a board member cannot have personnel placed on the agenda and discuss concerns with the superintendent in closed session.  However, as I stated and you agreed with the final decision in the sups.  And yes, the sup will answer for their decision to the board

correct

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that as said before;

1) If you want a say then turn out at our next election. (So few turn out it would only take a small group of people to make a change to a different direction)

2) MB is definately a great guy with a long standing history with our school as a player then a coach. Also I don't know many players who played for him who disliked him in any way as a coach.

3) There is alot of people that could be affected by a coaching change especially if the new coach is a AD. If we change coaches then I hope its for the best. I still would fully support MB if he does stay.

Good Luck to our INDIANS however this turns out.

Guest Silsbee88

The board should not be involved in the evaluation, reassignment or discipline of any AD, HC, coach or professional educator for that matter.  That is the superintendent's job :o.  The only employee of the district that answers to the school board is the super.  The only time the board gets involved is if the employee files a grievence with the district and appeals to the board for resolution.

That's why I have been saying this had more to do with the fight than Burnett's job. Coming from you, Silsbee88, just reassures how I knew how the system worked. I am married to an educator of 19 years and she has "educated" me quite a few things over these 19 years as to how the school systems work.

If this particular school board is acting in this manner, they are not doing their jobs correctly. This sounds of a couple of board members personal agenda. ;)

AAW, I would hope that it isn't a personal agenda, but we all know how much a successful football program means to some districts.  Most board members will put aside personal agenda's and do what is right for the entire student body.  I would hope that a sup would not lose their job over an AD or Coach.  After all, our main purpose is to educate kids!!!

That's why I have been saying this had more to do with the fight than Burnett's job. Coming from you, Silsbee88, just reassures how I knew how the system worked. I am married to an educator of 19 years and she has "educated" me quite a few things over these 19 years as to how the school systems work.

If this particular school board is acting in this manner, they are not doing their jobs correctly. This sounds of a couple of board members personal agenda. ;)

AAW, I would hope that it isn't a personal agenda, but we all know how much a successful football program means to some districts.  Most board members will put aside personal agenda's and do what is right for the entire student body.  I would hope that a sup would not lose their job over an AD or Coach.  After all, our main purpose is to educate kids!!!

Amen to that!!!

Amen to that!!!

Amen to that!!!

75 wins and 30 losses in last 10 years 5 playoff appearances and one state final game. I think there is alot of people that would like for their school to average 7 and 3 season for the past 10 years and half the time in the playoffs and one chance to play for the title. I think my math is right on this one guys, I may have missed one or two. The point is that it's not a horrible record. It's winning almost 75% of the games!!! BE CAREFUL what you ask for is all I'm saying.

75 wins and 30 losses in last 10 years 5 playoff appearances and one state final game. I think there is alot of people that would like for their school to average 7 and 3 season for the past 10 years and half the time in the playoffs and one chance to play for the title. I think my math is right on this one guys, I may have missed one or two. The point is that it's not a horrible record. It's winning almost 75% of the games!!! BE CAREFUL what you ask for is all I'm saying.

I agree, actually.  I don't think PNG has anything to b!tch about with Burnett.

I know MB is a die hard Indian but if they offered him a reassignment he should tell them to stick it.

Whether anyone thinks he is a good head coach or not his overall record and background speaks for itself.

See, herein lies the problem. Those that don't follow the program don't really know what his overall record is. They just assume that it is great since it's PNG and they hear about them each season, but take a look at teh real numbers.

Overall 94-65 (0.591) with 6 playoff appearences.  Not bad, not great either. The 0.591 winning percentage ranks him 11th on the all time PNG list for coaches. Theres been 18 HC's at PNG. But what has happened lately.

Without the D. Long three years the record is:

64-58 (0.525)

In the past 9 years since the state title game run:

52-40 (0.565)

But that includes just three (3) winning seasons and three (3) playoff appearences (1 in the last four years).

The numbers speak for themselves. Not as GREAT as everyone thinks are they!

To put that into perspective, Neuman over that same period is:

119-52 (0.696) with 12 playoff appearences.

Matt is a great person and good coach, but if he can't see that he needs help on the offensive side of the ball then maybe he should be replaced. I would love to see him stay and focus on defense and hire an established, imaginative OC. Just don't have any reason to believe it will happen.

seems the numbers are different ???

I know MB is a die hard Indian but if they offered him a reassignment he should tell them to stick it.

Whether anyone thinks he is a good head coach or not his overall record and background speaks for itself.

See, herein lies the problem. Those that don't follow the program don't really know what his overall record is. They just assume that it is great since it's PNG and they hear about them each season, but take a look at teh real numbers.

Overall 94-65 (0.591) with 6 playoff appearences.  Not bad, not great either. The 0.591 winning percentage ranks him 11th on the all time PNG list for coaches. Theres been 18 HC's at PNG. But what has happened lately.

64-58 (0.525)

52-40 (0.565)

But that includes just three (3) winning seasons and three (3) playoff appearences (1 in the last four years).

Matt is a great person and good coach, but if he can't see that he needs help on the offensive side of the ball then maybe he should be replaced. I would love to see him stay and focus on defense and hire an established, imaginative OC. Just don't have any reason to believe it will happen.

Last ten years

1998 9-2 Bi-District

1999 14-2 State Finals

2000 5-5

2001 3-6

2002 5-5

2003 10-2 Area

2004 8-4 Area

2005 5-3

2006 5-5

2007 8-4 Regional

2008 3-6

Total 75-44  I was a little off on the losses, but is still a decent record for the past 10 years, not great, but decent. Notice how the years are bunched up for playoffs. Do you think that it might be the rotation of a mixture of players coming through and then a not so good crop of players. Just my honest opinion based on keeping up with HS football across the state for a long time.

64-58 (0.525)

52-40 (0.565)

Last ten years

1998 9-2 Bi-District

1999 14-2 State Finals

2000 5-5

2001 3-6

2002 5-5

2003 10-2 Area

2004 8-4 Area

2005 5-3

2006 5-5

2007 8-4 Regional

2008 3-6

Total 75-44  I was a little off on the losses, but is still a decent record for the past 10 years, not great, but decent. Notice how the years are bunched up for playoffs. Do you think that it might be the rotation of a mixture of players coming through and then a not so good crop of players. Just my honest opinion based on keeping up with HS football across the state for a long time.

So ... what I'm hearing is that PNG isn't beating Ned as often as they think they should, so they need to get rid of a coach that's been there umpteen years.  Do you all truly believe that playoffs should be in your year every year?  Do you truly feel that you simply can't get through life without a completely dominant team? I think your coach and your kids work hard every year.  I think your turn will come again.  All this whining about PNG in years past and it's not that way now ... that's the past...and it may well be that way again, but this sense of entitlement has gotta go. 

64-58 (0.525)

52-40 (0.565)

Last ten years

1998 9-2 Bi-District

1999 14-2 State Finals

2000 5-5

2001 3-6

2002 5-5

2003 10-2 Area

2004 8-4 Area

2005 5-3

2006 5-5

2007 8-4 Regional

2008 3-6

So ... what I'm hearing is that PNG isn't beating Ned as often as they think they should, so they need to get rid of a coach that's been there umpteen years.  Do you all truly believe that playoffs should be in your year every year?  Do you truly feel that you simply can't get through life without a completely dominant team? I think your coach and your kids work hard every year.  I think your turn will come again.  All this whining about PNG in years past and it's not that way now ... that's the past...and it may well be that way again, but this sense of entitlement has gotta go. 

Explain to me how wanting your team to win is a sense of entitlement? The fact is unless Burnett has a group come through with above average talent, he does nothing. Here is a fact for you. We had 4 of 5 OL return, 1 above average RB return, a 3 year starter at QB, and a WR who was one of the best in the district this year. But, after the last game Burnett said they did not win because they had no talent. It sure was enough to win district the year before. Burnett has also been horrible at developing kids. We had maybe 1 or 2 kids return on defense this year. Guess what, we will only have 2 next year, and that is if Benoit does not quit to focus on baseball. Our lineman were playing both ways with one of the largest programs in SETX. How is that? He is a d-line coach. Am I supposed to believe he cannot find another 3 or 4 kids out of 200 that he can plug in on the d-line? It is no coincedence we were shut out in the second half of at least 3 district games. We were beating both Lumberton and Vidor at the half. I am not making excuses are whining. This goes deeper than some sort of entitlement. This is about the fans and players believing the head coach is putting the team in the best position to win. Not having a coach who wants to fall back on past successes and lay the blame at the feet of the players when the wins don't come.

Last ten years

1998 9-2 Bi-District

1999 14-2 State Finals

2000 5-5

2001 3-6

2002 5-5

2003 10-2 Area

2004 8-4 Area

2005 5-3

2006 5-5

2007 8-4 Regional

2008 3-6

First of all thats the last 11 years you have up there and those include two years with D. Long. As I stated above since Dustin graduated PNG has made the playoffs 3 times (52-40 record). Yes the playoff years tend to bunch up together which brings up another issue that many of us have pointed out, MB and crew don't adjust to the talent. Every four or five years PNG has the talent to run smashmouth football. But in a season like this one when we where better suited to mix it up and didn't have the defense to beat teams 7-0, they don't make the adjustment. Can't fit a square peg in a round hole. Nederland wins year in and year out with the same talent. They adjust to what they have. They had Hood their with Yoder and they threw all over the place, then Mosley and a good run blocking OLine came on and they went more power run. Then when Mosley left they went to a spread because they didn't have the ground game. Then this year with Grogan, they stayed with the spread, but a running more to utilize his talents.

Again I want to re-emphasize that my personal preference is that MB stay and hire an established OC and let him do his thing so that Matt can focus on Defense (which he is great at), but I just don't understand why this has not happened yet (by yet I mean in the past few years) and that makes me think it won't.

64-58 (0.525)

52-40 (0.565)

Last ten years

1998 9-2 Bi-District

1999 14-2 State Finals

2000 5-5

2001 3-6

2002 5-5

2003 10-2 Area

2004 8-4 Area

2005 5-3

2006 5-5

2007 8-4 Regional

2008 3-6

We didn't learn this number at PNG ISD.  Does that number come after 12 or before 19?

There's a lot of fun that's had on these boards, but I wish I could delete them from cyberspace at a time like this.  No man deserves to be ridiculed like Matt Burnett has on these message boards across SE Texas.  It's un American, no way to confront your accusers.

I agree with you Penny, Burnett is a great man and deserves more. Do I think there needs to be some changes? Yes, but Burnett is not one of them.

Please enlighten me..what exactly defines "great" ??

I see that word used alot to describe him but

I don't know the man from Adam, so just wondering.

64-58 (0.525)

52-40 (0.565)

Last ten years

1998 9-2 Bi-District

1999 14-2 State Finals

2000 5-5

2001 3-6

2002 5-5

2003 10-2 Area

2004 8-4 Area

2005 5-3

2006 5-5

2007 8-4 Regional

2008 3-6

I would agree with your analysis Scalp'em...I think you would find the same trend at most schools. The local exceptions would be Newton/WO-S. What separates them from the rest is a case of pure tradition and, apparently, a great coach who manages to motivate players year in and year out. It would be easy to say that talent, or a lack thereof, is the reason behind a teams record but then you have teams like Newton/WO-S that seem to win even when the talent pool drops a little. Still, I would have to agree with those who view MB as a good coach who is simply in the middle of a poor run right now. But, again, what sets Barbay/Hooks apart from MB and the majority of other coaches who suffer the same fate year in and year out? I don't know the answer but I do know that both Barbay/Hooks have been given a lot of rope to build what they've got and I don't think a coach can build that overnight. Of course, MB has been given a good many years so it's not as if he hasn't been given a chance. However, I say PN-G will be back in the playoffs, with or without MB, in the next couple of years. My two cents.

MB is a good football coach with TALENT, I thought.....until this year.  The main problem is that we are not developing players for highschool when they are in the 7th grade.....and even pop warner.  Our 7th and 8th grade teams have nothing to do with the highschool programs, offensively, defensively, or on special teams.  They are not put into a system, taught that system for years to continually improve on so that it could flourish in the varsity ranks.

I hear of other coaches trying to implement schemes and play styles while kids are very young.  Some of these teams are reaping the benefits years down the road.....LUMBERTON. 

Identify 4 or 5 potential qb's in the 7th grade-Identify 6 or 8 rb's-identify 10 to 12 wr's, etc etc etc.  Identify your secondary, your o and d line, linebackers.  Entrench a style of play into their heads at the ages of 8-15.  By the time they reach 16 and become sophomores and juniors, they pick up blitzes (which we dont), blocking schemes (which we dont), special teams play (which we dont), and on and on.

The main problem is, throughout the year you would see certain flashes of GOOD come out of the Indians, and then everything would fall apart.  Blitzes would go untouched, running backs would get hit in the backfield (on a dive), opposing rb's and wr's go untouched (missed assignments), horrible special teams play.

I truly believe that PNG had the talent to beat any team that they faced this season.  Played Livingston close for a half, Lumberton, Vidor, Ozen. They would just fall apart.  I could literally tell you, not exxaggerating, 90% of the time, the play that was coming from our offense.  The other 10% that I could not guess were successful or near miss plays.

When a bag of chips go stale, you dont just keep eating them.....go buy a new bag.

Raider 81, obviously you do not understand "tradition". Playoffs should be everyones goal, espeacially the mid county teams. It not dominating, its about competing at a high level. If you stop doing that, than its time for change.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder