This is a coach that will take the blame

eagle 09

found this on texasfootball.com

Jim Ned 31, San Angelo Grape Creek 30: Consider the words of Grape Creek coach Brad Bowden following the one-point loss and playoff elimination: "I'm just not a good enough coach yet." I'm not sure I've ever heard a coach say that before, but as gosanangelo.com is reporting, the Grape Creek coach appears to look no further than himself when assigning blame. All that aside, this was still a heck of a game, and had Grape Creek been able to recover an onside kick with less than two minutes remaining, the outcome probably would've been much different.

Sounds like he doesn't have enough confidence.  That will definitely spill over to your team and could be the difference in a closely contested game.  Just a thought.

I will respectfully disagree...I think it will make the players look at themselves, and dig deep, to see what they could have done differently to change the outcome.  A coach leads by example, and the example he gave was one of responsibility and courage, stepping up to deflect the criticism his kids might have faced by opening it up to himself.  Our baby boom generation has made a career of "blame the other guy" and it has seeped down to our children...I am glad to see that a man is being a man in accepting responsibility.

Guest bleed orange

Sounds like he doesn't have enough confidence.  That will definitely spill over to your team and could be the difference in a closely contested game.  Just a thought.

I will respectfully disagree...I think it will make the players look at themselves, and dig deep, to see what they could have done differently to change the outcome.  A coach leads by example, and the example he gave was one of responsibility and courage, stepping up to deflect the criticism his kids might have faced by opening it up to himself.  Our baby boom generation has made a career of "blame the other guy" and it has seeped down to our children...I am glad to see that a man is being a man in accepting responsibility.

That is an awesome post and right on. I applaud you.

Maybe that coach needs to be let go because he falsely advertised to the school board that he "was a good enough coach" to lead those young men.

Now he's saying he's not good enough to get the job done and needs to get better.

Let him go and find somebody who has some confidence!

Just a thought.

Ok  but I've never seen a coach miss a tackle or drop a ball during a game ;)

I think your totally missing the point.....what i said is from the perspective of a coaches mindset............no matter what the public is seeing or thinking.........Great coaches would chalk up your views as lack of preparation and training.....then get to work Saturday morning to correct'em

great man for taking the blame if he deserved it.  not many coaches will admit they made a bad decision or called the wrong play.  most would rather lay blame elsewhere.  the coaches are the true leaders of the team...and the players rely on them.  I think he is a good example of how coaches should act towards their players.  these coaches deserve the respect of the players.....but the players also deserve the respect of the coaches.

I re-read the comments,and relaized that one word made all the difference...the word "yet".  He didn't say he wasn't good enough, period, he said he wasn't good enough yet.  In doing so, he showed that the future was bright, because he was going to be a BETTER coach, than he had been...

He showed his players that he would work to better his coaching skills, as they worked to better their playing skills.  He opened the door to combining their efforts, and working as a unit, as a team, to reach higher goals.  In other words, he gave them hope, and a chance to build a team, a chance to contribute as he was, by working to get better.  He lead by example, and I feel that in a year, we will see this team in the playoffs... 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder