How's Everyone's Deer Hunting Going?

I don't think mistake will work as an excuse.  Think about duck hunters.  They are required to identify species of a fast moving object, often in low light.  If they make a mistake, they pay the fine(if caught)  No doubt in my mind that this rule would be enforceable.  Don't shoot unless you are sure.

Yeah. That sounds more like a judge with "wishful thinking". He doesn't like the law so he doesn't think it will pass. Well the law has been in place in some Texas counties for several years and I haven't seen any appeals court challenges on the law. I will stick with, when in doubt, don't shoot.

Y'all are probably right but I'm no legal expert. 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can say what you want, BUT the #1 answer IS large antlers when asked what do you want in whitetail hunting....

And I want that too but I've never been asked.  Neither have many other people. 

What I fear is that the new restrictions are going to drastically drive up lease prices.  That would be bad. 

You can say what you want, BUT the #1 answer IS large antlers when asked what do you want in whitetail hunting....

What I fear is that the new restrictions are going to drastically drive up lease prices.  That would be bad. 

More quality is worth more money.

If all deer leases improve the quality of their herds, then this new rule shouldn't affect your price for the lease.   It's simply supply and demand.  That just seems like a strange argument.  I need my deer herd to stay crappy so I don't have to pay more for it.

My personal experience has been that the landowner probably charges me less than he could get from someone else, because he knows that our group respects his land and  he doesn't want to run us off.  Of course, that may be the exception, rather than the rule.

Define quality.  Quality to one may not be quality to another.  When you grow up maybe you'll see things different.  I realize that mama and daddy are probably still paying your lease fees but one day you'll have to pay up. 

Define quality.  Quality to one may not be quality to another.  When you grow up maybe you'll see things different.  I realize that mama and daddy are probably still paying your lease fees but one day you'll have to pay up. 

Haha mama and daddy don't pay anything that's why I hunt natl. forest. I know what your sayin though lol

If all deer leases improve the quality of their herds, then this new rule shouldn't affect your price for the lease.   It's simply supply and demand.  That just seems like a strange argument.  I need my deer herd to stay crappy so I don't have to pay more for it.

My personal experience has been that the landowner probably charges me less than he could get from someone else, because he knows that our group respects his land and  he doesn't want to run us off.  Of course, that may be the exception, rather than the rule.

Good point.  The herd at my lease is pretty dern good though.

Haha mama and daddy don't pay anything that's why I hunt natl. forest. I know what your sayin though lol

Between Jasper and Lufkin?

The Angelina around Broadus.

The Angelina around Broadus.

I've seen some good deer come out of the Natl forest between Jasper and Zavalla.  I've always wanted to hunt it.

All the talk of the Dominate bucks doing most of the breeding is BUNK, just how many does do you think a buck will breed in a yr. IF you answered less than 3 you are correct, with the actual # being less than 2. People used to think a buck left the doe after the deed to seek out another, in fact they will stay with the same doe till she is completly out of her cycle....I have a cpl of places I can hunt, one is in San Augustine Co and the other is within 2 miles from my house in Hardin Co. I would love to hunt down the rd BUT there is NO management whatsoever, we have does that go unbred yrly, also have permits left over yrly. The property in Hardin co was owned by a group of guys from Miss and were well versed in quality whitetail management, the new owner dosent really hunt but his Bro and his son are self proclaimed experts who although just started hunting know it all and would shoot a small forked horn buck OVER the 10-15 does standing around. Last yr towards the end of season the 18 y/o son who had just shot a 4pt asked me why they can't see any big bucks, I think I pizzed both father and son off with my answer. My answer was "if you keep shooting the deer you have been there will NEVER be any">>>this is not rocket science 

• 4 weeks later...

I got my personal best this year.. 10 pt that scored 165/163.. East Texas Buck. Out of a company clearcut, "Corn Rowed" 3 years old...Have you heard these things before...

And yes i have been passing up young "good deer" for years. I know that the new regulations are tough for some people to get, but talk to some that have been under this restriction for several years and ask them if it makes a difference. You bet it does...

I got my personal best this year.. 10 pt that scored 165/163.. East Texas Buck. Out of a company clearcut, "Corn Rowed" 3 years old...Have you heard these things before...

And yes i have been passing up young "good deer" for years. I know that the new regulations are tough for some people to get, but talk to some that have been under this restriction for several years and ask them if it makes a difference. You bet it does...

It takes a blind man to see that the antler restrictions work but the "kill it if it moves" is deeply ingrained in east Texas and will be very hard to overcome.

On a similar note, a joint resolution was introduced in the current Texas legislature for a constitutional amendment to be voted on by the citizens of the state in the next general election. This resolution would make it a Texas Constitution guarantee for the right to hunt and fish. I am guessing that this bill is a direct response to the recent moves by the PETA crowd and other liberal moves in the country to try and ban such activities.

I hope that the resolution passes and we can get it into the Texas Constitution.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kofajas476
    Newest Member
    kofajas476