*Barbers Hill vs. North Forest Updates*/NF WINS!!!

Wow...so this is what its like to have a bad year.  Doesn't feel very good (does it PNG?).  I'm ready for basketball season :-[

Ready for basketball ????? Be careful what you ask for.  ;)

Ready for baseball....that's your/our best chance, however, all of the pitching is gone.

See you at the volleyball playoffs, how did we fair in golf and tennis this year ?

Wow...so this is what its like to have a bad year.  Doesn't feel very good (does it PNG?).  I'm ready for basketball season :-[

Ready for basketball ????? Be careful what you ask for.  ;)

Ready for baseball....that's your/our best chance, however, all of the pitching is gone.

See you at the volleyball playoffs, how did we fair in golf and tennis this year ?

;D

Like I said many years ago, until Price is gone, we will not advance through the playoffs.  A spread offense required more athletic ability and right now we don't have it.  Combine that with conservative play calling and we get what we have had for the past seeral years.  A decent football team that is either larger than it's competition (3-A) or a below average football team ina a very bad district (4-A). 

Watch some Liberty Hill film if you want to know how to win with small non-athletic players.

FIRE PRICE PLEASE!

Who was the head coach at Barbers Hill before Don Price?

Before Don, it was McGallion; who took a lot of talent and absolutely wasted it.  Before him it was Skidmore; good man and a good X&O's coach but didn't win except for two years when he had really good talent.  Before Skidmore it was Hope; he had only two playoff years and never won a district championship, worked the players hard but his ego kept him from winning.  Before Hope it was Edwards; didn't work the players at all, his philosophy was "when the lights come on BH comes to play"... had a couple of good years.  Before Edwards it was Pudgy; won a State Championship and before him it was Gene Sharp who won a State Championship.

So lets look at the records since Pudgy.  Edwards- two winning seasons.  Hope - two winning seasons.  Skidmore - two winning seasons.  McGallion - no winning seasons.  Don Price - eight winning seasons, five of those going undefeated in regular season including the first year moving up to 4a.  After graduating 33 seniors in 2006, missed the playoffs in 2007 by one bad call from a Ref against Smiley.  2008 team has faced more talent than the Eagles have ever played, with a team that is probably the slowest most nonathletic team BH has put on the field in many years...and has been just a few mistakes away from winning at least 3 more games.  Since Don has been at BH, the Hill has won across the board, from football to track.  I think he has a pretty respectable track record.

So my Question is, what coaching program do you want to go back to?  McGallion?  Skidmore? Hope? Edwards?  I know none of you mommies and daddies out there would want to go back to the Pudgy and especially the Gene Sharp years.  Your poor little boy's couldn't handle the kind discipline and work ethic that Gene Sharp put the Eagles through.  I know a lot of you move inn's won't know anything about those days.  If you want to have your eye's opened, go talk to some the guy's like Randy Foster, Elmo Camp, Jabo Leonard, Kenneth Dosett, Jamie Horn, etc...etc, who played during those years.  Ask them to tell you how Sharp worked the kids.

What I'm getting at is, I don't think people around here would support another Gene Sharp type coach.  So what your going to end up with is, one of these coaches that we had through the 80's and 90's, or a coach like Price that gets the most out of the talent that he puts on the field.  I'm happy to continue with Price...I think he's done a great job, overall. 

Another thing moms and dads, how hard are your kids working?  Are they spending time after school lifting, running, throwing and catching.  Your kids can't show up for practise in Aug. and automatically win.  It takes hard work all through the off season and in the summer, we don't have a Green or Dogat playing for us, our kids will have to work harder than the other teams.  Then with all that work, sometime your skill doesn't match up with other teams, like against North Forest and Dayton, really everyone we've played this year.  I know y'all won't believe this but, sometimes kids aren't putting in the work, that they tell you, they're putting in.  We can't win with just 10 or 12 working hard all year and the rest just doing just enough to get by.  Not trying to be a jerk, but parents you need to really make a honest assessment to the type of work ethic your kid is giving, and push them to work harder if it's needed, even if you hate the coach.

I'll shut up now and wait for my butt chewing.

WAY TO GO BH34!!!

The talent level at Barbers Hill has dropped off, just what I have seen videoing the junior high games every year.  The 8th and 9th graders hold promise.

Like you said, to take your game to the next level, football needs to be a 12 month commitment.

The kids in Dayton lift weights all summer and push themselves to be the best they can (this attitude comes down from Coach Stewart).

I agree wholeheartedly.  Don Price and his staff have done as good a job as any staff in the Houston area.  Ask any coach in the area.  You are the smallest school in the district and still compete each week.  Some parents continue to be a part of the problem by creating doubt in the coaching rather than emphasizing the importance of work ethic, committment, and loyalty.  Dayton is a good example for you.  Jerry Stewart rips his kids in the paper and Dayton supporters immediately say it is great coaching and motivation.  Let Don Price rip his kids in the paper once (which he would never do) and see the response from the Barbers Hill parents.  I doubt there is another athletic director in the area of a single school system who could boast as many district championships in the last 10 years as Don Price leading the Barbers Hill Eagles.  Meanwhile there were idiots in the community a few years ago trying to get him replaced as the Athletic Director.  Are you kidding me?  Take off the blinders and come to the realization this is a group of well coached kids who happen to be very non-athletic at the current time.  They are great kids and you should be proud of their accomplishments and keep encouraging them to strive harder to win.

The reality is that the problem lies not with coaching but rather with the "Y" chromosome.

I was at the  dayton/hill game  and from what I saw- BH had a decent team. They had good size,some speed and made alot of hard  hits and I never saw  them throw in the towel  when they new the game was out of reach. Really didn't see any coaching glitches either . Thus far Dayton is a team that can make really good teams look average and good teams look bad. The one good thing about loosing against a team like the Broncos -it raises the bar and makes you better!  Welcome to  4A ----

Thanks, Purple forever and ballcoach!  I know some of my fellow Bh fans will take exception to what I wrote, but I don't care.  I want BH to win as bad as anyone, I get depressed when we have a year like we're having also.  To blame everything on the coach when he's had very good success through out the years(in fact we had no success for nearly 20 years until Don took over) drives me crazy.  I don't think Don is the greatest coach to ever walk the earth, but he has done a great job in his nine years as head coach, so I think he deserves a little slack.  If we had some really great talent this year( like McGallion did in the mid 90's) and he wasn't producing, then I'd be calling for his head also.  I don't understand why folks can't see the difference in the speed and talent on other teams, and the speed and talent that we've put on the field the last two years.  I'm not trying to put down the kids, it's just the facts of life.  Hey, when I played we didn't win either, because we just didn't have the tools.  Oh, and another thing, we didn't work as hard as we needed to either, INCLUDING ME...So we weren't successful.  Ya'll want to get rid of Don, you might as well get ready to lose for the next 2 to 3 years as the new coach tries to implement his program. 

Oh well, that's enough of my opinions.

You forgot Coach Evans between Pudgy and Edwards.  The best thing that Hope did was to vastly improve the weight room.  Each coach has their strengths and weaknesses, some implement good off season programs, some are good X's and O men, and some are motivators.  A good staff has a mixture of these at the right positions (coordinators-X & O, position coaches-motivators).  It all starts with the athletic ability of the players, and a good staff will mold a good team with any talent level.

I agree that Coach Price has brought this program out of the gutter, but I'm not as impressed with the district record and undefeated seasons as some of you seem to be. Through all of those seasons we have not beaten a team worth a flip! 95% of the teams BH has played (If not more) have been very weak! I can not think of one team BH has beaten in the last 9 years that has done something in the playoffs. YES PLAYOFFS we can beat weak teams all day long ,but untill BH football can get to a level to beat teams in the playoffs then I cant be satisfied. these last two years have nothing to do with Prices coaching ability as the talent has been low, but there have been some very good players come through Prices program since 99' and most of them were lead undefeated into the playoffs to get pounded by the first team that had a winning record. Now these teams after beating BH didn't go win a state championship as all of them fell the next round by usually a hugh margin! Looking at other teams around the state like Liberty Hill, Celina, Wimberly, Cuero Ect. they do not seem to stock the heard of DIV 1 tallent that Price seems to need to be successfull to win, so why do they win? (Must be luck). My opinion is tha BH needs a coach from a 5 or 4 A program that knows how to win at these levels and BHISD needs to quite being the nice guy and send folks packing that are not performing. BH has a lot of talent coming up from the 9th grade down and I don't want to see it blow through and hear more excusses for why we can't win! 

I think Coach Price has done a good job with the players in the past and got BH back in the play-offs for the most part. I don't have a problem with telling the coaches good job or nice game. The Coach praise and worship folks are the one who get on my nerves not the Coaches. (except for a couple who think they deserve it) We have had some talent pass through in for the last 8 years and have seen some good times. Going to the play-offs is a lot more fun than staying home and only one team wins state in each division each year. I think the coaching staff got a lot of credit for those good years when most of it was raw talent. Now they have to take the good with the bad and what could very well be an 2-7 season with little or no talent. (at least for football) Remember BHFAN the 99 team at least had 2 running backs to keep it interesting.  As far as the Clowns who wanted to give the AD job to a girls basketball coach with somewhat of a tainted past WELL.........they all got re-elected. Just an opinion. :)

Who was the head coach at Barbers Hill before Don Price?

Before Don, it was McGallion; who took a lot of talent and absolutely wasted it.  Before him it was Skidmore; good man and a good X&O's coach but didn't win except for two years when he had really good talent.  Before Skidmore it was Hope; he had only two playoff years and never won a district championship, worked the players hard but his ego kept him from winning.  Before Hope it was Edwards; didn't work the players at all, his philosophy was "when the lights come on BH comes to play"... had a couple of good years.  Before Edwards it was Pudgy; won a State Championship and before him it was Gene Sharp who won a State Championship.

So lets look at the records since Pudgy.  Edwards- two winning seasons.  Hope - two winning seasons.  Skidmore - two winning seasons.  McGallion - no winning seasons.  Don Price - eight winning seasons, five of those going undefeated in regular season including the first year moving up to 4a.  After graduating 33 seniors in 2006, missed the playoffs in 2007 by one bad call from a Ref against Smiley.  2008 team has faced more talent than the Eagles have ever played, with a team that is probably the slowest most nonathletic team BH has put on the field in many years...and has been just a few mistakes away from winning at least 3 more games.  Since Don has been at BH, the Hill has won across the board, from football to track.  I think he has a pretty respectable track record.

So my Question is, what coaching program do you want to go back to?  McGallion?  Skidmore? Hope? Edwards?  I know none of you mommies and daddies out there would want to go back to the Pudgy and especially the Gene Sharp years.  Your poor little boy's couldn't handle the kind discipline and work ethic that Gene Sharp put the Eagles through.  I know a lot of you move inn's won't know anything about those days.  If you want to have your eye's opened, go talk to some the guy's like Randy Foster, Elmo Camp, Jabo Leonard, Kenneth Dosett, Jamie Horn, etc...etc, who played during those years.  Ask them to tell you how Sharp worked the kids.

What I'm getting at is, I don't think people around here would support another Gene Sharp type coach.  So what your going to end up with is, one of these coaches that we had through the 80's and 90's, or a coach like Price that gets the most out of the talent that he puts on the field.  I'm happy to continue with Price...I think he's done a great job, overall. 

Another thing moms and dads, how hard are your kids working?  Are they spending time after school lifting, running, throwing and catching.  Your kids can't show up for practise in Aug. and automatically win.  It takes hard work all through the off season and in the summer, we don't have a Green or Dogat playing for us, our kids will have to work harder than the other teams.  Then with all that work, sometime your skill doesn't match up with other teams, like against North Forest and Dayton, really everyone we've played this year.  I know y'all won't believe this but, sometimes kids aren't putting in the work, that they tell you, they're putting in.  We can't win with just 10 or 12 working hard all year and the rest just doing just enough to get by.  Not trying to be a jerk, but parents you need to really make a honest assessment to the type of work ethic your kid is giving, and push them to work harder if it's needed, even if you hate the coach.

I'll shut up now and wait for my butt chewing.

No butt -chewing here...well said. I will say regading work ethic, my kid's a baseball player, not football, but I will put his work ethic up against anyone. You may know him, if so, I'm sure you'd agree.

Yes I did forget Evans.  I agree with certain points from everyone.  First off, I don't live and die by Don Price, nor do I think he is the beginning and end to football coaching, there are SEVERAL things I disagree with him about.    First off I don't think we've had a ton of talent the last ten years, yes, we've had some talent but not D-1 talent.  Also, we've had some real bad luck with injuries as well, and it negated some of the talent that we had.  For instance; take Chris Daniels Jr. year, we started off with a great defense, we had Lewis Duncan at line backer and that Grey kid at nose tackle, and others that we very good, can't remember names.  After the first game, we started loosing starters right and left, before the middle of the season we had lost 6 starters off the defense, for the season I might add.  I'm sorry but our bench just isn't deep enough to handle that kind of loss...strike one.  Then Chris got hurt..strike two, he did come back in the playoffs, but he couldn't throw the ball or run really...result, Kirbyville wins...strike three.  Chris's senior year, we start off doing great, Chris is number 5 in the area in passing and he is running the ball better than ever, then Diboll...he tears his knee, out for the season.  Pat steps in and does a great job, but the running threat was gone.  I'm in the opinion that say's, if Chris doesn't go down, we may go all the way, or at least a couple more rounds.  Our offense was never the same after he got hurt.  Anyway, there have been several years when we just had bad luck.  Now, I understand you can't make excuses, but BH just doesn't have the depth on the bench to lose any key players, and that has happened several times.  So in that, we really aren't not sure what he can do with a healthy talented team.

BHFAN, I do understand what your saying though.  The problem is, I don't think the parents in our community would allow a butt kicking coach.  Do you know how to win with out much talent?  You discipline and work the kids nearly to the point of abuse.  They have to be tougher than the other team, and win by not making mistakes and just beating the other team down.  That's what Gene Sharp did at BH, the stuff he put the kids through is almost unbelievable...I've heard stories that blew my mind.  I've heard someone is going to write about some of that stuff, I hope they do.  Anyway, I wish we could get a coach like that, but I just don't think our kids and parents would put up with it.  That's my point, this school has a record of hiring coaches that just aren't the type coach that can get the job done...like McGallion, Hope, Edwards, Skidmore etc..etc.  So I'm not willing to go back to those days, at least Don and his staff work their butts off to make sure the kids are in good shape and put in the best situation according to their talent, to win.  I also think he is a good man and teaches kids more about life than just football.  So, he is so much better than what we've had in the past, and not trusting our board to hire the right kind of coach, makes me content to stay with what we have. 

One more thing, I don't want anyone to think that I'm saying none of the kids work.  I know there are some that work very hard.  Like I said before, you can't have just a hand full...if there are 30 kids on the varsity, then all 30 need to be killing themselves in the weight room, playing 7 on 7, running and being together.  It all starts with senior leadership, which we've had none of the last two years.  I think to many parents don't realize how much work it takes to have a winning team...so they don't make their kids go to the gym after school or during the summer.  Then, everyone wonders why we are having a loosing year.

You know the main problem here?  None of us can FREAKING STAND TO LOSE!!!!  IT'S SENDING US OVER THE EDGE!!!! 

Oh well, it's just a game...it doesn't matter if you win or lose, it's how you play the game...lol...lol...lol...just getting my liberal on in case Obama wins...lol...lol.

The coaches need to do a better or job or mixing up the play calls offensively and defensively. You cant be running the same plays all day long, and they should do a better job of adjusting to what they have instead of sticking players in the wrong positions. Another thing is the coachs need to do something about the players that can make it to D1 school or D1-AA. I know in the past 5 years they have had a bundle of kids that could of gone and played at D1-AA or D1. I would know from experience, the coaches dont promote their players to college coaches enough. Im still undeciced about what they should do with Price.

Keep fighting Eagles! And good luck with the rest of the season!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder