No shirts mean no cheers at Silsbee High School

Judex!

come on now, the only measure at their disposal? maybe the students should have pulled their heads...i refrain from discussing students' nether regions. why not comply and appeal the ruling later?  what was shown was not school spirit, it was a display of self-pride and rebellion, and that is awful. i shame their actions because that is what is truly sad.

I applaud the kids!  They were standing on principle.  Fight for what you believe in.  The past games this season, last season, and all previous seasons dictated that what they were doing was not wrong!  It is a totally subjective call by a power-hungry administrator.  She probably belongs back in the junior high setting and definitely not a high school.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Lokey said there is no school policy against shirtless fans at football games, so it's a subjective call."

This is stupid. The school administrator herself admits that this is not an explicit rule, it is discretionary. In my view it is a prime example of an abuse of that discretion.

All rules are subjective to the rule maker's opinion. That goes whether they are written or oral. Oral rules are still rules.

If they were kicked out without a warning for something that was previously acceptable then they would have a valid complaint. When a person in charge tells you something, then that is the rule in that situation. It is not open for debate if the person in charge doesn't want to. 

These kids were not standing up for a principle. They were openly violating a rule that was told to them and then they were given a chance to comply without penalty. They chose to knowingly ignore the rule and then got penalized. Go figure.

I'VE CREATED A MONSTER!!! Both sides are at fault here but this is a Silsbee issue that should be dealt with by the Silsbee administration and the student body it governs. I went to school there and loved it, so to every one not from Sislbee please do not get a bad impression of our school district or town from this. Trust me, no just one person or group is to blame for this mishap.

Judex!

come on now, the only measure at their disposal? maybe the students should have pulled their heads...i refrain from discussing students' nether regions. why not comply and appeal the ruling later?  what was shown was not school spirit, it was a display of self-pride and rebellion, and that is awful. i shame their actions because that is what is truly sad.

I applaud the kids!  They were standing on principle.  Fight for what you believe in.  The past games this season, last season, and all previous seasons dictated that what they were doing was not wrong!  It is a totally subjective call by a power-hungry administrator.  She probably belongs back in the junior high setting and definitely not a high school.

There is no need to fight...that is against school and SCRUB spirit---fighting the school!?! They were trying to stand on the PRINCIPAL rather than principle. It is a disgrace to appluad such action and to encourage the disrespect towards administrators, therefore YOU are a disgrace!  :P

When I was in high school, the student section wasn't there to watch the game.  There was only a small group that was actually there to watch a football game.  Most of the time was finding out where the party was or stuff like that.  These kids are there for their team.  They might do it for the attention, but who cares.  "If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter!"  ;D

Well this has definitely turned in to following rules (whether they are officially in place or made up on the fly) or not following the rules and how are kids going to react in these situations. 

I agree in part that the kids should have obeyed the principal when they were told to cover up at the game but then again the rebel in me says to do what they did and keep the shirts off.  If one of them was my kid, I may be inclined to tell him to make his decision, stick with it and accept the consquences.  The punishment certainly did NOT fit the crime here though. 

In my opinion here, the principal made a big mountain out of a small mole hill.  I am sure there are bigger problems at Silsbee HS than shirtless kids cheering for the football team.  Why stir everyone up about something so harmless?  Some people let their power go to their heads.  This will only serve to make the rest of the year rocky.

"Lokey said there is no school policy against shirtless fans at football games, so it's a subjective call."

This is stupid. The school administrator herself admits that this is not an explicit rule, it is discretionary. In my view it is a prime example of an abuse of that discretion.

All rules are subjective to the rule maker's opinion. That goes whether they are written or oral. Oral rules are still rules.

If they were kicked out without a warning for something that was previously acceptable then they would have a valid complaint. When a person in charge tells you something, then that is the rule in that situation. It is not open for debate if the person in charge doesn't want to. 

These kids were not standing up for a principle. They were openly violating a rule that was told to them and then they were given a chance to comply without penalty. They chose to knowingly ignore the rule and then got penalized. Go figure.

So a person in charge gets to change the rules has he/she wants too. No. Rules are rules and should be followed. You don't get to make them up as we go along. What next that person doesn't let boys in the game? Only girls can come to the games. I know that is far fetched but that is the reason you can't just have people going around making the rules as they see fit.

Well this has definitely turned in to following rules (whether they are officially in place or made up on the fly) or not following the rules and how are kids going to react in these situations. 

I agree in part that the kids should have obeyed the principal when they were told to cover up at the game but then again the rebel in me says to do what they did and keep the shirts off.  If one of them was my kid, I may be inclined to tell him to make his decision, stick with it and accept the consquences.  The punishment certainly did NOT fit the crime here though. 

In my opinion here, the principal made a big mountain out of a small mole hill.  I am sure there are bigger problems at Silsbee HS than shirtless kids cheering for the football team.  Why stir everyone up about something so harmless?  Some people let their power go to their heads.  This will only serve to make the rest of the year rocky.

Interesting perspective.  If it was my kid and the pricipal told him to put his shirt on, and he didn't, he wouldn't have to worry about the school consequences.

Interesting perspective.  If it was my kid and the pricipal told him to put his shirt on, and he didn't, he wouldn't have to worry about the school consequences.

Congratulations!  You will be named "Parent of the Year!"

Judex!

More than likely they did not have any shirts with them. Nederland students painted themselves black and used gold letters the didn't have any shirts with them. I don't see anything wrong with it. It's like me telling an adult there sir you have to wear a hat because you don't have any hair and the glare is bothering me. Come on Silsbee Admins. get a life.

Judex!

More than likely they did not have any shirts with them. Nederland students painted themselves black and used gold letters the didn't have any shirts with them. I don't see anything wrong with it. It's like me telling an adult there sir you have to wear a hat because you don't have any hair and the glare is bothering me. Come on Silsbee Admins. get a life.

No, they had shirts and after being told to put them on, they left them on until the last five minutes of the game. That is when the shirts came back off.

.............. Yes, rules are rules, but from what I read there is no rule against this kind of spirit. Seems the administration is out to make a point.

Sure there is a rule. A school official walked up and told the students to cover up. They have that authority on their property. The school officials can go as far as having offenders arrested for trespassing if they fail to leave when asked. I have seen that in person.

I don't see a problem with no shirts and think the principal is being too strict but when told to comply or leave, the students made their choice. How much of a rule do you need?

schools are funded with tax money, making them public property

you can't arrest someone for trespassing at an event in which they have paid for a ticket....

sorry tvc, but you're wrong on this 1

There is probably way more to the story than the one side published in the paper. 

Unless I'm misreading, two of the posters here are creators of the "Scrubs" from last season and appear to even be questioning the students' actions.

I am glad you pointed that out. I caught that too.

I agree with your assumptions...AggiesAreWe and Tiger90, I'm sure you could comment on how "they" ran it last year and how things are being handled currently.  It seems as if there was steady interaction between Admin and students during games the previous year and there was nothing like this. It may just be a question of leadership, respect, and character...they don't make 'em like they used to.  ;)

.............. Yes, rules are rules, but from what I read there is no rule against this kind of spirit.  Seems the administration is out to make a point.

Sure there is a rule. A school official walked up and told the students to cover up. They have that authority on their property. The school officials can go as far as having offenders arrested for trespassing if they fail to leave when asked. I have seen that in person.

I don't see a problem with no shirts and think the principal is being too strict but when told to comply or leave, the students made their choice. How much of a rule do you need?

you can't arrest someone for trespassing at an event in which they have paid for a ticket....

Gee, I'm wrong? Silly me. How do I know anything about the law?

Sorry Vidor Pirate, not only can you be arrested for trespassing on school grounds, there is a special law just for that.

TEXAS EDUCATION CODE

§ 37.107.  TRESPASS ON SCHOOL GROUNDS.  An unauthorized

person who trespasses on the grounds of any school district of this

state commits an offense.  An offense under this section is a Class

C misdemeanor.

I've seen several people, including students from that particular school, arrested for trespassing on your "public property".

You are correct and I think the lack of what you are talking about is part of the problem.

It doesn't matter if the principal made a bad decision or was making a mountain out of anything. When the person in charges makes a decision, then that is the law, the rules or whatever you want to call it. It is not a democratic process.

.............. Yes, rules are rules, but from what I read there is no rule against this kind of spirit.  Seems the administration is out to make a point.

Sorry Vidor Pirate, not only can you be arrested for trespassing on school grounds, there is a special law just for that.

TEXAS EDUCATION CODE

C misdemeanor.

I've seen several people, including students from that particular school, arrested for trespassing on your "public property".

Absolutely correct.  I know of several trespass warnings currently issued to folks.  If they show up in the stadium they will be arrested.

TEXAS EDUCATION CODE

C misdemeanor.

calm down man, im not tryin to argue with you here, just slow down and read my post more closely man, it clearly says

"you can't arrest somebody for trespassing at an event in which they have paid for a ticket"

calm down man, im not tryin to argue with you here, just slow down and read my post more closely man, it clearly says

"you can't arrest somebody for trespassing at an event in which they have paid for a ticket"

LOL.... I am calm. It takes more than your opinion to get me excited.

.... and in this case, you are wrong again. A person can buy a ticket and be arrested for trespassing the moment they walk through the gate or even standing in line to get the ticket. A football ticket doesn't override state law.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder