Barbay knows district still runs through Newton

This is the hidden content, please

Barbay knows district still runs through Newton

By JIMMY GALVAN Editor

Newsboy file photo ONE KEY RETURNEE FOR the Newton Eagles is James Burch, who will handle all the kicking duties for the Eagles this year. Burch is also a threat running the ball for Newton as well.

Talk to most football experts and they will tell you that District 22-2A will come down to one contest this year — Kirbyville at Newton, Friday, Nov. 7.

"I don't know about them beating us," said Newton Head Football Coach Curtis Barbay. "They haven't beat us in 20 years. They are mouthing off over there but they won't put up any money over there.

"Kirbyville will do a good job over there," Barbay said. "They are coached better and they have the same kind of kids we have and they have been winning."

Barbay said he thinks the district will be down this year after a competitive 2007 season.

"I think Hemphill, Shelbyville and Woodville will not be very good this year," Barbay said. "They may surprise me but I think San Augustine, Kirbyville and us will be the top three teams in the district."

Barbay said he doesn't mind being the top dog in the district with a bulls-eye on their back every time they step on the field.

"I would rather be that team then when they are not aiming at you at all," Barbay said.

He also minces no words about his opponents when he prepares his team for games.

"If I see a team that is no good, I am not like many coaches that will lie to their players and see the good in anybody," Barbay said. "If they ain't worth a *****, I will tell them they ain't worth a ****. If they are good, I will give them the respect that they have earned. I won't say they are good when they ain't worth a crap."

And what would he say about the Newton Eagles if he had to prepare a game against them?

"I would tell the team that they play hard and those kids don't give up no matter what the score is," Barbay said. "I know they will play to the bitter end. Don't let up on them because they are not going to let up on you."

This year, Newton will play a Week 0 game and that's a first for Barbay.

Barbay has traditionally not been a fan of the Week 0 games and hadn't participated in one in recent years. But this year, he saw the need to get his Eagles on the field during the Week 0 and scheduled a home contest with

Corrigan-Camden.

"I couldn't find another game this year," Barbay said as to the reason the Eagles are playing the Week 0 contest. "Last year we only played nine. Corrigan couldn't get anybody to play and that was the only open week they had.

"I wanted to play the game worse than they did," Barbay said. "But they didn't want nine games and they didn't want to play us. But they got it and we have to prepare for it."

As is the tradition in Newton, the Eagles will take on quite a non-district schedule this year. Aside from Corrigan- Camden, Newton will take on East Chambers, Diboll, Silsbee and Orangefield this year in non-district games.

"We try to play people that have a good chance of beating us," Barbay said. "I don't like playing somebody that know that we are going

to beat. Our schedule easier this year than has been in a long time but that doesn't mean we will win them all either.

"I like playing teams that are classification above us such as Diboll, Orangefield and Silsbee," Barbay said. think it helps determine where you are going be. If you don't play somebody in the first five weeks and then step out and play somebody good in district, you will be shell-shocked."

Barbay said in the first couple rounds of the Class 2A playoffs, the opponents are not even up to par with the non-district opponents on the Eagles' schedule.

"We will see teams that run fast, that are tough in non-district," Barbay said.

The legendary coach said he is looking forward the challenge of the 2008 season.

"I think we have a good chance this year," Barbay said. "I think we have a good team."

And while other programs hope to make the playoffs, at Newton the goal is a state championship.

"We know we are going to be in the playoffs every year," Barbay said. "The last couple of years, we didn't have great teams but we had better teams than the teams that beat us.

"I think luck plays a big part in it and I think the Lord has a script already made whenever you go into the playoffs," Barbay said. "Hopefully, He put in a good word for you."

It does imo.

Most years Newton drop 1 or 2 games in non district.  Yeah Kirbyville looks decent..but they still havent beaten Newton.  There have been plenty of years that there was supposed to be someone that would knock Newton off (EC, SFA, CC, etc..) they all failed.  Maybe this year is different, maybe not.  Well know at the end of the season.  There will be no need to try to apply the tranisitive property to football.  This is not the NCAA, you dont get crowned based on popular opinion.  You still have to win in Texas HS Football.

IMO

I understand that Newton has tradition, played against them every year in school, we always seemed to beat them on JV level and below, but this is a fine example of how well you coach your players when it counts.  I also see this article reeking of arrogance.

What is wrong with a Man that tells You what He Honestly feels to be The Truth? Barbay is Supremely Confident in his Coaching Staffs ability to Get the Best from a group of hard working young men that Earn their Eagle Uniforms, and The Right To Carry On The Traditions That Come With A Long History of Success Due in Large Part to the Eagles Long Time Head Coach. Confidence, A  Record of Success and Honesty Aren't Arrogance. I am a Coach Curtis Barbay Fan and I Believe That This Man Without Question Still " Walks The Walk ".

Confidence and arrogance are two different things.  confidence can be expressed TRUTHFULLY, and with integrity while at the same time humbling (i.e.  I believe the oppoent has a very good team and does this well but at the same time i believe they have these weaknesses and that is where we plan to attack)  NOT they ain't got **** over there in hickville which is exactly what it sounded like.  what i see is a man that thinks he is above the fray probably because that is where the people of the community put him.  I can't wait til they get put on their backsides by a kirbyville team which i do believe will happen this year.  What does his arrogance do for the kids and thier sportsmanship.  I have seen what it can do first hand from his team.  I was on the sideline when the team that won state in 98 came to the center of the field before kickoff, declared they were the district champs, which they were, and told everyone on our sideline and in our stands, in the words of "Degeneration X"  to "suck it".  what does that say to our community and how disciplined and arrogant the were.  Still hate to this day the purple and white "N".

Guest ECBucFan

Confidence and arrogance are two different things.  confidence can be expressed TRUTHFULLY, and with integrity while at the same time humbling (i.e.  I believe the oppoent has a very good team and does this well but at the same time i believe they have these weaknesses and that is where we plan to attack)  NOT they ain't got **** over there in hickville which is exactly what it sounded like.  what i see is a man that thinks he is above the fray probably because that is where the people of the community put him.  I can't wait til they get put on their backsides by a kirbyville team which i do believe will happen this year.  What does his arrogance do for the kids and thier sportsmanship.  I have seen what it can do first hand from his team.  I was on the sideline when the team that won state in 98 came to the center of the field before kickoff, declared they were the district champs, which they were, and told everyone on our sideline and in our stands, in the words of "Degeneration X"  to "suck it".  what does that say to our community and how disciplined and arrogant the were.  Still hate to this day the purple and white "N".

WORD.

I posted a while back that this arrogance and poor sportsmanship hurts himself, his school, and his community. Predictible, I got blasted for stating that truth ::)  Its bad to see impressionable kids exposed to that poor sportsmanship from their leader, and now their whole community buys into it. So sad.

I wonder how he would have done through the years without all the athletes? What if had been at say, Huntington, for example?  I used to support Newton, now I have no use for them at all.     

Hold on a dang minute...

Let me attempt to slow this down a little. Just because an East Chambers & a Kirbyville fan think Barbay is being cocky and/or arogant....lets not write off the community and players as deserving a lesson. I seriously doubt that most people that read these boards or have an opinion about Newton and its football program know much, if anything, about Newton football. Lets not place ourselves on the sidelines of title games nor explain to all how we know so much about something that so few actual can speak to.

If the EC fan does not have anything left for Newton.....fine by me. Sounds like sour grapes.

Kirbyville fans, I hope you do win this year. I am a Newton fan but like Barbay said....ya'll have not beaten us in 20 years? If you guys win it would be the highlight of Kirbyville football for the past 30 years. It would not keep the Eagles from the playoffs and give you guys as much joy as when we occassionally win a state title.

When a Newton fan wants to know how to toot on a flute and get a state ribbon....they can stop in and visit you Kirbyville folks on the way to Beaumont. When Kirbyville wants to win a 2A district they can travel north to Newton like they will this year.

Now leave the community and players character alone....its a football game.

I will say this is the first time I have ever seen Newton accused of being unsportsmanlike.  

In fact the sportsmanship of the Newton Eagle program is something frequently commented on across the state in different message boards.

I can't tell you how many playoff opponents (both defeated by the Eagles AND victorious over them) have commented on the lack of TD celebrations, the help up after tackles, and post game handshaking and respect offered by the Eagles of Newton.  Sportsmanlike behavior is a DECADES old tradition in Newton.

No one faults you for your misinterpretation of Barbay's demeanor.  Those that know him well enough to really understand his ways also understand how it looks to those that don't.  I guess I can also understand the need to believe that Newton is "those mean ol bullies" for motivational purposes or something.

But these accusations that the Newton program is anything but a class act in terms of sportsmanship are nothing but slanderous.  You might as well check that crap at the door now cause there are too many people around that know better.  That dog just wont hunt.

I will say this is the first time I have ever seen Newton accused of being unsportsmanlike.  

In fact the sportsmanship of the Newton Eagle program is something frequently commented on across the state in different message boards.

I can't tell you how many playoff opponents (both defeated by the Eagles AND victorious over them) have commented on the lack of TD celebrations, the help up after tackles, and post game handshaking and respect offered by the Eagles of Newton.  Sportsmanlike behavior is a DECADES old tradition in Newton.

No one faults you for your misinterpretation of Barbay's demeanor.  Those that know him well enough to really understand his ways also understand how it looks to those that don't.  I guess I can also understand the need to believe that Newton is "those mean ol bullies" for motivational purposes or something.

But these accusations that the Newton program is anything but a class act in terms of sportsmanship are nothing but slanderous.  You might as well check that crap at the door now cause there are too many people around that know better.  That dog just wont hunt.

Stupid dogs that wont hunt.....they really chap my hide

You can bet your last dollar that the ones crying about what he said aren't the coaches from the opposing schools.  They know the man and know that he puts the kids FIRST, Newton or otherwise.  I have heard it from his own mouth that he could have hung 60+ on another school but didn't do it because he didn't want to embarrass the other kids, coaches or fans. 

well  hate to burst your bubble but i saw it with my own eyes and I beg to differ with you and and your sacred Newton Eagles.  But that is Ok I know what I saw and what the community of Kirbyville saw at that moment in time.  What I can't believe is that you all seem to be so shocked that this would happen.

Guest rykerx144

Now leave the community and players character alone....its a football game.

"I don't know about them beating us," said Newton Head Football Coach Curtis Barbay. "They haven't beat us in 20 years. They are mouthing off over there but they won't put up any money over there.

I see a team that is no good, I am not like many coaches that will lie to their players and see the good in anybody," Barbay said. "If they ain't worth a *****, I will tell them they ain't worth a ****. If they are good, I will give them the respect that they have earned. I won't say they are good when they ain't worth a crap."

sounds like if you are going to convince the world to do the right thing and say the right thing because its just a football game, then it sounds like you better start with the man your defending before you go trying to change the world!!

Guest rykerx144

well BigB BigD i have never lost to newton and have no reason to hold a grudge. I have watched Newton play alot of football and I do want say that I believe that this thread is about people arguing two sides and i believe that they are both right.  I do know for a fact that the Community of Newton and students at Newton are very respectable. Barbay does have a program that year in and year out does produce kids that are talented in football and are very sportsman like on and off the field. Like you said the people that know him love him and know that he does everything he does for the kids and his program. The program is his life. But that does not mean I agree with the way he handles himself sometimes.  Theres no doubt he runs his mouth sometimes when most think he shouldnt and he will seem very arrogant and stern until you get to know him and then you'll began to say ( like ive heard a million times by other coach's, players, fans and even his own family members) THAT'S JUST BARBAY!!

WORD.

I posted a while back that this arrogance and poor sportsmanship hurts himself, his school, and his community. Predictible, I got blasted for stating that truth ::)  Its bad to see impressionable kids exposed to that poor sportsmanship from their leader, and now their whole community buys into it. So sad.

I wonder how he would have done through the years without all the athletes? What if had been at say, Huntington, for example?  I used to support Newton, now I have no use for them at all.       

ECBucFan; Three Games Against Newton and Three Losses; no use for you either; Enough Said.        KVille99 You Need to read Your Own Stuff; Sounds pretty arrogant to Me. If you want to talk about good and bad points of these teams; OK. You Don't Know How Unsportsman Like Your Trash Talk Makes You Look And Sound. Both of you fell the need to start Slamming Our Community; Well I for one don't plan to lower Myself to Your Level. I would Bet Money On the fact the Majority of the people in Winnie and Kirbyville would just as soon have you both just stop the Hate Talk and leave it up to the coaching staffs and players take care of their own business ;  I'm Pretty Sure the people of Newton feel the same. It's A Football Field After All. You Remember; Right?

As a long time supporter of all Newton sports and the father of a current player, I do take offense to the the comments being made by some about our fans, players and coach. I am personally glad that Coach Barbay is still here in Newton and my son has had the chance to play under him. Under Barbay I have seen him develope as a player and a good student both of which I am proud of, wether they are winning or losing on the field. As for the fans, when you visit our side you will see Generations of families from a young age to the 80's, all supporting the Eagles. Curtis Barbay may appear brazen to some, but I appreciate his honesty, his caring for the kids and most of all his ability to take the kids he gets each year and develope them into winners a trait which is shared by only a few, year after year. In closing I would like to say, take your hate of Newton and direct it in a positive way and find a way to beat us on the field and I promise you we won't hate you afterwards. 8)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder