High Island

DHS Grad 95

Not dissolved...............Resolved!

High Island will open its doors for school October 6, 2008.  Coach Colton has called for practice at 3:00 PM on September 29, 2008.  The Coaches have been on the phone with almost all of the Parents of the players and they are all in the process of finding places in Winnie and other communities in the area.  The Fighting Cardinals will return to the playing field on October 10, 2008 in Burkeville to play the Mustangs.  I feel that about 18 to 20 young men will return to finish what they have started this season.  All of the Parents that I have talked to really want their children to be able to finish the season this year, this will allow them to not loose everything.  The young men are fired up and are ready to put on the pads and go back to work.  Keep an EYE on the Cardinals for the rest of the season, I think it will make one heck of a story.  My son is a Senior and he is ready to get his friends back together to battle on the Grid Iron.

Compared to what has been lost due to Ike, you would think that football would be the least of anyones worries.  Football seems to be the one thing that the boys find the same before Ike arrived.  I am glad to know that the families of these young men are going to move forward with their lives and I am glad to call them friends.  God Bless everyone that suffered a loss due to Ike, our thoughts and prayers go out for you.

GO CARDINALS!!!!!

"The Cardinal Fan"

Roger George

I have a question, just a question and I'm not trying to be cruel in any way.

What will the situation for HI be in the long run? From what I've seen (at a distance) it looks like the district will lose a large part of their population permanently and much of the tax base. I can't imagine anyone rebuilding structures on Bolivar (sp) to any great extent for the foreseeable future. Insurance will be almost impossible to get and at what price?

I hope HI get gets their folks together for the rest of this season, because unless they merge with another school district, it may be their last.

Good Luck.

From what I've seen (at a distance) it looks like the district will lose a large part of their population permanently and much of the tax base. I can't imagine anyone rebuilding structures on Bolivar (sp) to any great extent for the foreseeable future. Insurance will be almost impossible to get and at what price?

I'm no expert on demographics, but I feel the need to add my 2 cents. First, the Peninsula has been years without being "destroyed" by a hurricane. There have been several in a row and that has made it particularly difficult. The tide will turn (no pun intended), and Bolivar and High Island will again go many years without devastating 'canes.

So, it is with that thought process that I start my next statement . . . where there is accessible coastline, there will be developers. It may be a little while in coming. But, some deep-pocketed developers will come along and pick up a lot of that property at what they will consider a good value and then begin again. It will likely be higher dollar communities and tax revenue will go up. Then, consider that the school district receives a chunk of their revenue from oil production. While the hurricane shut some of the wells down, it is sure to be only temporary with the "drill now" mode that the country seems to be in. Further, it is my understanding that the state often provides ways to make up the money differences in the interim.

High Island ISD School Board may very well decide that it is no longer a functional district. I don't know. But, I wouldn't count the district out because of revenue. I think there's probably plenty of it and the future will again be very bright for our beachfront neighbors.

Go get 'em, Cards!

We're all behind you!!

:D

Thanks for the info. I 'm really glad to hear that the person I talked to "heard it wrong". I worked with Audie Tackett when he was in Dayton and I'm glad he's not out of a job. I am especially glad that the kids would be forced to go to new school. I do agree that Bolivar will rebuild. My family has vacationed every summer there for 30 years, so we have seen it change from us having to take everything with us that we would need including all groceries because the only place to buy anything was the little pair pair to what we need of before the storm. It might be 20 yrs. before it is truly back to its former state, but I do agree that developers are going to scoop up that land and build higher end homes.

Well first of all Great Post Roger. As a grad of HI I hope and pray that the people return and I think they will. As a resident of the coastal areas you know that any year your home can be damaged by a Storm. When down there at HI my family saw many storms come in NONE THAT COULD COMPARE TO THIS. But we knew the risk, we still stayed and loved it. HI was a very close tight comunity when I lived down there and now some of the kids I went to school are now the parents of these players on this HI team. I know that I cant give enough to make a very big difference but Roger if there is anything I can Do let me know. CARDS be Proud,Be Strong keep Fighting. HI Grad of 1986

V Langham

I am too a grad of HI.  I have lost friends and family because of IKE.  Should they rebuild or not that is the ?  I would have to guess that 90% of the school was not from High Island, but from the beach.  The school board will be in my prayers, as they will have some tough issues to deal with in the coming months.  Roger anything that I can do call me.

Ryan Patureau

Legacy Christian Academy

One Day at A Time!  Yes we have some major decisions to make in the coming months.  We at High Island appreciate your thoughts and prayers. 

What the Bolivar Peninsula used to be will be a memory to those who visited, vacationed and lived there.  The people of the Peninsula are a strong people and understand the risks involved when building on "The Beach".  The water is not as clear as it is other vacation destinations but the atmosphere is one that is warm, loving and accepting, which isn't always the case else where.  What "The Beach" used to be will only be a memory and that will fade over time.  The thing that will be remembered is how those who have lost so much will put one foot in front of the other and keep on Going.  Each individual will have a story to tell about 'The Beach" and they will also have a story of how they recovered from losing everything.  Sad days will come, but laughter will soon follow.

To the students of High Island ISD and their parents, I wish you the best of luck with rebuilding your lives.  If you decide to settle in the SE Texas, I hope to visit with you again.  High Island ISD is open for business and we are in the business of educating children.

The site is called SETX Sports, so lets get back to football.  The Cardinals are chomping at the bit to get back on the field, If you Alumni are available on any Friday night, I would be glad to see you there.  I believe the District 23 1A schedule has been pasted on a different thread, so come on out support the Fighting Cardinals.

V Langham and Ryan P., I know that you guys will be busy over the next few Friday nights so I will give you guys a break.

Go Cardinals!!!

Thanks MOOSE I will be busy but we have a Tuesday game this week and then a Saturday game the next week. So I would love to try to get to a game to see your son play this year. Those that do not know the tradition of the HI CARDS dont understand but those of us that went there know the HI CARDS will fight to stay alive as a school and team. What game is the Homecoming Game if you dont mind telling me. Our prayers from 4A go out to all three Galveston, Sabine Pass and dear to my heart High Island.

Guest TravelingBandsman

I've got a question about High Island's district. How big is it? I know it takes up the actual town on the salt flat but how far down the peninsula does it go or does it take all of it. I would find it quite pointless if anyone on that peninsula would have to go to Galveston because that would be hard enough to go across the ferry every day for school. I would think it would go all the way to Point Bolivar.

When there is flooding all over the United States do the people rebuild there homes?  When there are wild fires out West, do people rebuild homes?  What about the people in Florida who get hammered almost every year by Hurricanes and Tropical Storms, do they rebuild their homes?  What about Tornado Alley in the Midwest, I believe they rebuild there as well?  When there is a huge Sink Hole in your neighbor hood, do you pack up and leave?  Yes, changes will be made to the building codes and insurance will be outrageous, but people still want to be on the beach.  High Island ISD will have to make some difficult decisions in the near future, but we will get through it one day at a time.

:) :) :) :)

When a volcano erupts and whips out a village do they rebuild? HECK NO !!! Use your head and move inland !!! Also the sinkhole did not kill hundreds of people that chose to stay behind. And the sinkhole did not destroy all our homes and belongings. Apples and oranges !!! Be smart !!! H-D's thoughts and prayers still go out to the towns of High Island and Galveston.

WE HAVE ONLY BEEN IN HIGH ISLAND FOR ABOUT 1-1/2 YEARS AND WHEN THE STORM HIT WE LEFT LIKE EVERYBODY ELSE. WE EVEN PUT OUR KIDS IN ANOTHER SCHOOL FOR A WEEK AND MY SON PLAYED JV FOOTBALL FOR ONE GAME.  BUT ALL HE WANTED TO DO WAS GET BACK TO HIGH ISLAND.  ITS HIS TEAM AND HE WILL PLAY AS HARD AS HE CAN AND CANT WAIT TO PUT ON HIS H.I. CARDINAL JERSEY.

To H-D Bobcat 55,  guess you don't remember back in the early 80's when Mt. Saint Helen erupted in Washington State.  It nearly wiped out an entire town, yet the people returned and rebuilt.  Or maybe you weren't born yet, go and check it out and eat your words.  Give the people down there some credit, they want to stay and rebuild.  Wouldn't you if you were in the same situation as they are!

To 1880 and the rest of you folks in High Island, you've got to understand the lack of intelligence and compasion in HD, when you do you'll understand why they post idiotic statements like they do. I mean, they get excited over a big hole in the ground. But, if it wasn't for that hole they would only be known as a trashy, drug ridden barely open school district. Good luck down there and we wish you all the best.

To 1880 and the rest of you folks in High Island, you've got to understand the lack of intelligence and compasion in HD, when you do you'll understand why they post idiotic statements like they do. I mean, they get excited over a big hole in the ground. But, if it wasn't for that hole they would only be known as a trashy, drug ridden barely open school district. Good luck down there and we wish you all the best.

To once again borrow a phrase from 24 over par,  "Have Mercy"!!      We're behind you HI, rebuild it better and stronger...

here is another look on it from HD you learn more than just football in football! look what these boys have learned. they are not giveing up, they are standing up for there selves and each other! great attitude! good job parents and COACHES. hope ya beet eerybody but HD , ha ha, no really good luck with the season and your HOME!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder