Can Nederland win 22-4A???

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Umm' date=' we don't back down from any game thats why we play Lamarque, and also own the overall record against Ozen. Oh, and PNG is in our district so MCM is a district game.[/quote']

I was refering to PN-G's obsession with beating Nederland, if they put as much energy and focus on all games as they do on THIS ONE GAME, they could get back to the top

we've made the playoffs 10 straight years and 11 out of the 13 neumann has been here

That's impressive.

Obviously a lot has to do with the fact that there are more teams in the playoffs. Still, 10 straight years in the playoffs with 9 years in a row winning at least the bi-district is a very good feat. Of all the great programs in the entire state, there are very few that have gone to 10 years in a row/9 bi-district champs, even under the current three team playoff format. The last time Nederland didn't win at least a bi-district game, this year's seniors were in the second grade.

What is more impressive is that Neumann took a team that won 38 games in the previous 13 years (2.9 per year average) and turned it into a team that has won 107 games in 13 years (8.2 per year average). Winning an average of more than 8 games a year is a darn good record for any high school coach over that many years. Playoffs or not, Neumann has put a very competetive team on the field year after year.

Fair enough.

Just out of curiosity' date=' why do you think this season will be any different than the last two years, in which Ozen beat NED?[/quote']

Why do you think the last two years were different than the first 3-4 games they played and the outcome. Sometimes these programs just flip flop and have each others numbers. WOS couldn't beat Ned for about 2-3 yeasr there but has done well again the last 2. We are all kidding ourselves to think because of past seasons we know what is going to happen in these competitive programs....PNG, NED, OZEN, WOS, etc. There are some programs that are just not going to do anything but these, you just never know each year how they will perform against each other.

Guest GoStangs

I think a few factors come into play when you talk about NED and Ozen. Obviously, when they initially played, Ozen was fielding their first football team and didn't have the benefit of any seniors on their squad. NED definitely had an advantage over Ozen early on in the series by having an established program, but Ozen soon caught up.

I think it's fair to say that Ozen has recently looked very strong against NED. They lost to NED in 01, but that was the year that NED made it to the semis -- easily one of the better Bulldog teams in history. In 02, 04, and 05, though, they've had stronger teams than NED.

I don't know the reason why Ozen has won 3 of the last 5 games played, but they have. It may be something as simple as NED being outplayed/outcoached, or it may be something else, like a mental edge that Ozen has over NED. Whatever the case, the fact that NED has recently struggled against Ozen weighs into my belief that they will have a difficult time against a very good Ozen team this year, as well.

Ozen gets beat by Nederland when they fall in love with the spread offense. Several years they could've lined up toe to toe and run it, but chose to get fancy and it cost them. Last couple of years they are figuring out how to use those D1 offensive lineman they have and it has hurt Nederland. All things considered, Ozen has better athletes, but I would say both teams play pretty even head to head due to Nederland's advantage in the kicking game. Turnovers and kicking game will tell the story when the top teams play in 224A this year, just my opinion.

Guest GoStangs

Turnovers and kicking game will tell the story when the top teams play in 224A this year, just my opinion.

I agree with that, and I'd add that discipline will be key, also. The team that wins district will have to play smart, as well as good in all phases of the game.

Guest GoStangs

I don't see why not. In a close game, though, team character will reveal itself. There have been times in the past when all three of those schools have had players do some boneheaded things, but I've also seen all three of them play very good, disciplined football, as well. I don't see any of those three teams playing out of control and taking stupid penalties on a consistent basis throughout the year, but when the chips are down and the game is on the line, we'll see how mentally strong they are and which team cracks under pressure.

Let me make it official once again, 224A goes through Beaumont....

Having said that, lets take a quick look back @Ozen's brief history.

All of A Louis' teams were all offense. For 2 years, they lead the Houston area with 404 yrd/gm. Defense gave up 350. You can't beat anyone with no defense consistantly. Subsequently, Ozen got into a 0-5 hole against Nederland and a 0-2 hole against PN-G.

The Brooks era came with a switch to the 4-3 and Tony Ward laying big hits. All of a sudden, the defense gives up around 13 points per game but the offense was inconsistant. Brooks wins district the first year, sweeping MC, loosing only to Vidor in district and even beat WO-S 8-7 in a thriller. Beating Nederland came easy becuase they ran right at them. PN-G was a young bunch. Ozen and Central(dropping from 5A) both qualify and lose in the first round to Oakridge(Big school state finalist) and Caney Creek respectively.

Year 2 of the Brooks era saw his coach decisions on offense come into question. Lost to Nederland with a 2nd string QB, and not running right at Nederland. Lost to WO-S trying to run at the quicker Mustangs with a 250 back. Ponies won on a blocked fieldgoal attempt. Then that dreaded call at PN-G. Inbetween those 2 losses, he finally got smart and put MLB Greenwood at TB and started running the rock

Year 3, lost to PN-G behind 3 fumbles but bounced back to beat Nederland. Lost to evential state finalist Marshall in the 2nd round behind turnovers and penalties. He quit and went to John Tyler.

Clayton takes over with a hard nose approach on both sides of the ball. Those kids are tough(the ones who stayed) and are more diciplined than ever. This may be the year they go pass the 3rd round but they have played the eventual state finalist 3 of the last 4 years. The big school division is a whole lot tougher now than it was when Nederland was in it.

In the 4 years that Ozen and Nederland have been in the same district, Ozen owns the series 3-1. The total score for those 4 games is Ozen 100-Nederland 74 or an average of 25 to 18.5 Ozen's three wins come to less than a touchdown total average per game in the series. Those are some good wins for Ozen but hardly crushing defeats for Nederland.

SFA85 loves to point out how some mistake cost Ozen a win. Three fumbles cost them the game against PN-G. I guess that WO-S was lucky on the blocked field goal attempt, according to SFA85.

The largest margin of victory for Ozen over Nederland was 21-7 last year. It was a great game for Ozen but I don't guess the 5 turnovers from Nederland helped them any. Heck, Ozen probably didn't need those turnovers. It seemed to be an issue when PN-G won on three turnovers but when Nederland gave Ozen 5 turnovers, it is not an issue.

I think bigdog got it right. If Ozen lost it was because the other team got breaks. If Ozen won, it could not have been that they got the breaks. IMO, most of the time you make your own breaks. PN-G won with three turnovers because they forced them. WO-S won because they stepped up and blocked a field goal. Ozen beat Nederland because they forced five turnovers. Quit making excuses when your team loses by blaming stats but dismissing the exact same stats when your team wins.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kofajas476
    Newest Member
    kofajas476