* Vidor 26 St. Thomas 10 Final/Comments

KFDM COOP

Good game tonight.  Got to hang on to the ball.  Score coulda, shoulda, woulda been a lot higher without all the fumbling.  I'm sure the coaches will have plenty of work for the ball carriers this week. 

Overall I was pretty excited with what I saw.  The O-line did a great job tonight of opening holes.  Execution of the offensive scheme was great, but again have to hang on to the ball.  Defense held there own, but the Biggio kid and a few other receivers racked up quite a few receiving yards on them.  St. Thomas has a pretty impressive QB with a strong accurate arm and a lot of speed.

Good Job Pirates, keep rolling.

Vidor rushes past St. Thomas, 26-10

Van Wade

The Orange Leader

VIDOR — Run, run, run wild.

That's what the Vidor Pirates did Friday night to go to 2-0 on the season for the first time in six years.

Fullback Theron Reynolds rushed for 207 yards on 20 carries and hadtwo touchdowns and tailback Shane Pittman had 170 yards on 13 totes as the Pirates piled up 555 yards on the ground to defeat Houston St. Thomas 26-10 at Pirate Stadium.

St. Thomas (0-2) quarterback Conor Mills showed his mettle throughout the night but couldn't get the Eagles over the hump.

The Eagles finished with 255 total yards but had only 72 in the second half.

"I'm proud of our kids," said Pirate head coach Jeff Mathews. "Theron and Shane both had monster nights. Our defense contained St. Thomas very well. That Mills kid is something special but our kids rose up on defense in the second half."

Mills completed 14-of-29 passes for 137 yards and rushed 19 times for 105 yards.

The score could've been much higher if the Pirates could've cut out penalties and turnovers. The Pirates gave up four fumbles, three in St. Thomas territory and had six penalties for 65 yards, three of them stalling drives.

"We're still making too many costly mistakes," said Mathews. "Some of them were ridiculous. We've got to correct them and correct them in a hurry. We did the same thing against Kelly last week. I guess it's a good sign, to make as many mistakes as we have and still come on top. If we eliminate them, we're definitely a darn good football team."

Vidor quarterback Chris Teinert had six carries for 50 yards and scored both second half touchdowns. Jacob Peevey had eight carries for 65 yards.

The Pirates struck with a flurry, scoring on their first possession of the game.

Reynolds, utilizing a big gap off left tackle, sprinted through a hole and turned it up in the middle of the field for a 68-yard touchdown gallop. The point-after kick failed as the Pirates snagged a 6-0 lead with 9:54 left in the first period.

After Jared Williamson picked off a pass by Mills at the Pirate 32 and returned it to the 38, the Pirates navigated 62 yards in four plays to find the end zone again.

Pittman had the big run in the series, finding a big hole along the left side and zipping 40 yards all the way to the Eagle 10. Reynolds finished things off with two straight 5-yard totes, the last one coming off the left side again to give the Pirates a 12-0 cushion with 7:40 left in the first.

The Eagles drove the ball from their own 34 all the way to the Pirate 9 on the next series and settled for a 19-yard Beau Brady field goal to make it 12-3 with 5:14 left in the first. Mills set it up with a scrambling 34-yard run down to the Vidor 15.

The Eagles drew to within 12-10 midway through the second quarter, going 62 yards in three plays after a Pittman fumble that St. Thomas linebacker Paul Rogers fell on at the Eagle 38.

The big play came when Mills connected with Conor Biggio, the son of legendary Houston Astros great Craig Biggio, on a 49-yard perfect strike down the right sideline. Biggio finished with five receptions for 68 yards.Two plays later Mills hooked up with running back Armando Rocha on a beautifully executed 13-yard screen pass for a touchdown over the middle. Brady's PAT was good as the Eagles trailed 12-10 with 6:17 left in the half.

The Pirates went from their own 34 all the way to the Eagle 20 in seven plays but St.Thomas caught a break when they pounced on a Reynolds fumble at the 20 with 2:40 left in the half.

The Pirates outgained the Eagles 251-183 in the first half.

Reynolds chewed up 123 yards on 11 carries while Pittman had 81 yards on seven totes.

Mills completed 6-of-14 passes in the first 24 minutes for 98 yards and rushed nine times for 74.

Vidor hit paydirt on their first series of the third period, zipping 68 yards in nine plays. Reynolds carried five times for 34 yards on the march. Jacob Peevey had a big 18-yard run on the jaunt and quarterback Teinert capped it with a 1-yard sneak. Kicker Jacob Jeanise's extra-point was good to give the Pirates a 19-10 edge with 7:48 remaining in the third period.

The Pirates put the pedal to the metal on their next drive, grinding out 84 yards in five plays. Pittman set things up with a 51-yard sprint that went to the Eagle 21. Teinert then broke loose on a 21-yard keeper and polished things off with an 8-yard sweep to the right and into the end zone as the Pirates jumped up 26-10 with 2:23 left in the third.

The Pirates will head to Sour Lake next week to take on the Hardin-Jefferson Hawks.

Great game Vidor, you are a powerhouse!  I guess you'll be playing the St. Anne's 6th graders for the state title.  You can brag about that too.

Right now go to the mirror and slap yourself........ You from Lumberton? Good win Vidor keep it going and rooting for you guys.

Great game Vidor, you are a powerhouse!  I guess you'll be playing the St. Anne's 6th graders for the state title.  You can brag about that too.

Hey Huggie, AKA "Pimp Smack" your a real winner buddy.  Very classy first post under one of your "other" screen names.

Guest tigersvoice

Get a life! Sounds like you need a hug. Your name suits you well!

Huggie?  I think he's in love with his underwear.

RaiderPride09, I am sorry that they didnt win with enough points to suit you and the Raider faithful, but 500 plus yards rushing is pretty decisive, if you was to ask me.  Oh by the way, since when do you have to win by moe than one point anyway, who invited you to come out to watch  Vidor play anyway. Ha Ha Ha

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder