Panthers in SE Texas??

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand that some land owners got letters from TP&W informing them that black bears are or were going to be released and not to mistake them for wild hogs while hunting.  Killing one would bring a big fine.  Don't know how true this all is but it would not surprise me if it were true.  Maybe the bears could help control the hog population...

They have released black bears in East Texas I'm on a Lease North Newton County and we have a big sign by our cleaning station warning hunters to not mistake Bears for hogs, and if one is killed it would be a 10,000 dollar fine + some other penalties..

I understand that some land owners got letters from TP&W informing them that black bears are or were going to be released and not to mistake them for wild hogs while hunting.  Killing one would bring a big fine.  Don't know how true this all is but it would not surprise me if it were true.  Maybe the bears could help control the hog population...

They have released black bears in East Texas I'm on a Lease North Newton County and we have a big sign by our cleaning station warning hunters to not mistake Bears for hogs, and if one is killed it would be a 10,000 dollar fine + some other penalties..

We have hogs that would run a little black bear up a tree.        ;D

We have hogs that would run a little black bear up a tree.        ;D

Haha that's no lie. It'll take nothing less than a lion...rephrased: MANY lions to control the hogs around here lol

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

anyone who doubts that there are cougars in the area hasnt lived here long. although very rare they are here seen a few, and reports are that leopards and jaguars ranges are starting to climb back up into texas.... The "black panther" is a genetic mutation that occurs when 2 normal  color cats mate from my understanding they are almost always male and sterile could be wrong but thats how i understood it

anyone who doubts that there are cougars in the area hasnt lived here long. although very rare they are here seen a few, and reports are that leopards and jaguars ranges are starting to climb back up into texas.... The "black panther" is a genetic mutation that occurs when 2 normal  color cats mate from my understanding they are almost always male and sterile could be wrong but thats how i understood it

Back years ago, there was a large cat (maybe bobcat or cougar) I seen on the bank at a canal off the intracoastal near the old gulf refinery.  It was sitting in a tree.  pretty neat.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I wouldn't doubt it.  I've seen umpteen bobcats over the years, and I've even seen a cougar or two.  The only black panther I've ever seen though was YEARS ago up near Santa Ana, Coleman, etc.  Was sitting in the deer blind later afternoon, early evening and it stepped out into the sandero about 120yds up from me. 

A few months back there was a few sighted in Lumberton and in a well populated area......

LOL...reminds me of when I lived in Southern Arizona......was over at a buddy's house in the middle of town....heard some commotion.....went outside to find out that animal control had a cougar cornered in the alley. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
[quote name="tvc184" post="411827" timestamp="1219182324"]
[quote author=westend1 link=topic=40917.msg411658#msg411658 date=1219142805]
I won't believe we have any around here until (1) reliable pic on game camera or(2) someone shoots one and brings it in.  Too many hunters with game cams not to have lots of pics if they were around.  JMO
[/quote]

I'm with you. Between game cams and every device on the market today with cameras built in, why haven't we seen the pics?

They might very well be out there..... but they seem to be as elusive as Big Foot.
[/quote]

I'm with both of you.  I hear all the time about people seeing them on deer stands, as they walk to their stand, crossing the road, blah blah blah.. yet nobody has shot one, taken a pic, or had a pic taken by a game camera. 

I believe that its wishful thinking on the part of some.  Vivid imaginations.  I've seen some pretty large cat prints and wondered myself... until I saw one of my buddies stuffed bobcats and just how big their feet are. 

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name="bigdog" post="648654" timestamp="1253294435"]
Yeah, they're out there. I've deen tracks in East Texas near Hillister and heard them scream out in the marshes in Spindletop Gulley. Haven't seen one yet.
[/quote] I've seen a black { cougar, panther } 30 years ago or so on the levee at spindletop gulley, came out of the cane walked across our yard of camp and then back into the cane. Very large cat. Plenty of food for them on levee, fresh water one side salt water the other. Seen many of bobcat, racoons, armadillos, coyotes and hogs on that levee. Also seen one deer swim across the gulley from Pipkins, coyotes were chasing her.
Now mountain lion or cougar i have seen and several other people have seen at The Palms Golf Course at Pleasure Island. When the course first open you seen rabbit fur in the ruff all over the place. I know this because thats where my ball usually is.

[quote name="bearbryant" post="769890" timestamp="1267618436"]
[quote author=tvc184 link=topic=40917.msg411827#msg411827 date=1219182324]
[quote author=westend1 link=topic=40917.msg411658#msg411658 date=1219142805]
I won't believe we have any around here until (1) reliable pic on game camera or(2) someone shoots one and brings it in.  Too many hunters with game cams not to have lots of pics if they were around.  JMO
[/quote]

I'm with you. Between game cams and every device on the market today with cameras built in, why haven't we seen the pics?

They might very well be out there..... but they seem to be as elusive as Big Foot.
[/quote]

I'm with both of you.  I hear all the time about people seeing them on deer stands, as they walk to their stand, crossing the road, blah blah blah.. yet nobody has shot one, taken a pic, or had a pic taken by a game camera. 

I believe that its wishful thinking on the part of some.  Vivid imaginations.  I've seen some pretty large cat prints and wondered myself... until I saw one of my buddies stuffed bobcats and just how big their feet are. 
[/quote]

Thats my take on it, I know it is possible but proof sure would be nice. I feel pretty positive that any real sighting or evidence would be all over local news.

[quote name="tvc184" post="777596" timestamp="1268752582"]
The panthers are in the woods with sasquatch as they watch over their herd of chupacabras.
[/quote]

chupacabras are real!  my friend's dad's uncle's sister-in-law had a friend who's daughter's fiancee had pictures of one, but they were stolen...

[quote name="bullets13000" post="777659" timestamp="1268763800"]
[quote author=tvc184 link=topic=40917.msg777596#msg777596 date=1268752582]
The panthers are in the woods with sasquatch as they watch over their herd of chupacabras.
[/quote]

chupacabras are real!  my friend's dad's uncle's sister-in-law had a friend who's daughter's fiancee had pictures of one, but they were stolen...
[/quote]

Did you think that I was making a joke??

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder