Fellas, it's time to start talking deer hunting

It's right around the corner

If you count 5 months away, right around the corner.

this is southeast texas!  a few summers back i was working on a house in boykin place in lumberton and one of my coworkers had to take the afternoon off because he'd shot a deer out of someone's front yard there (it is unclear as to whether he had less teeth or brain cells at the time, but i'm pretty sure the number of each was slowly diminishing).  it's always deer season in southeast texas

Guest etbu

this is southeast texas!  a few summers back i was working on a house in boykin place in lumberton and one of my coworkers had to take the afternoon off because he'd shot a deer out of someone's front yard there (it is unclear as to whether he had less teeth or brain cells at the time, but i'm pretty sure the number of each was slowly diminishing).  it's always deer season in southeast texas

LOL

Bullets13, I have freinds like that...they are experts at shooting off the mirror of the truck

Whats wrong with shooting deer off the mirror of a truck??? lol

I heard of a guy that shot a deer off of the mirror of a truck but I am wondering how the deer got there in the first place.  ???

Bullets13, I have freinds like that...they are experts at shooting off the mirror of the truck

Whats wrong with shooting deer off the mirror of a truck??? lol

I heard of a guy that shot a deer off of the mirror of a truck but I am wondering how the deer got there in the first place.  ???

it was his neighbor's cambodian pygmy deer. 

Well, actually it ain't too far off - been loading up the protien ($11 a bag AntlerMax) and luckly we got 7" rain about 3 weeks ago.  Should be another great year for horns!

Gringo, my last trip to the ranch in March, I paid $8.99 a bag for corn...I don't think I will be dumping as much on the Senderos as in the past?? I know that when we go South next weekend, we will 4-5 riding in each pickup. 

No kidding.  It's going to cost me $300 just to drive out to Junction and back.  It's just not worth it any more.  I might be done after this year.

I have been wondering about what the high gas prices and the cost of feed will do to the deer leases and especially the trophy leases. I suspect a lot of people will be giving up their leases next year.

Of course, if there is someone to step up and take their place, it won't change anything. I was hoping that maybe enough people would not be able to afford the leases due to supplemental costs and the prices would drop somewhat. I guess that is wishful thinking.

I do know we will be planting more food plots this yr due to the higher cost on corn, but will have to have some help with the rain. One thing about food plots, they need to be viewed as a food source for the deer not just a supliment

I'm headed to South Texas in the AM, for a work weekend and varmint hunt.

I bought a Savage .223 Model 11 with Accu-Trigger a couple of months ago and a Nikon Prostaff 3x9 scope to go on it. I just got around to sighting it in two weekends ago.

I shot some 62 grain Federal Tactical Bonded soft points in it at 50 yards (our 100 yard range was being used by someone else) and set it at 1½" high at that range . On a table but without a rest, I was shooting ¼" groups. Even with my limited skills, I think I would pop some varmints with it.

I will be hunting on the Callaghan ranch this year just north of Laredo. So yes gas and feed are killing us. But as soon as the trigger is squeezed you forget about the rest of it.

Until you fill up twice going back home.

I will be hunting on the Callaghan ranch this year just north of Laredo. So yes gas and feed are killing us. But as soon as the trigger is squeezed you forget about the rest of it.

Until you fill up twice going back home.

With diesel costing about a dollar more a gallon than it was last year - it will cost about $50 a trip more this year.  With corn costing a couple dollars a bag more than it did last year it will cost me about $40 a trip more than it did last year.  So overall I'm looking at about $700 - $800 more to hunt.  I'm looking at about a 15% increase to hunt - it sucks - but it ain't enough to stop me!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Fellas, I was in South Texas this weekend (15 miles W of Hebronville), and found that Dolly did a number on our lease, knocking over all the tower blinds.  On a positive note, the roads were covered with fresh grass and the place was totally green.  The rain did us some good, but the wind tore knocked the towers to the ground and smashed the blinds. Work weekend on the way.

How many of yall hunt type 2 land in East TX and whats your take on it?

I've thought about it before I got on my current lease. I've been to some Type II land but never deer hunted on it. It is my opinion that such places are probably just too crowded. I know some areas are not heavily traveled but you are going into the wood no knowing who is hunting near you or who may walk up on a great spot that you found.

Having said that, I would still give it a try if I couldn't afford a lease and especially if I found some Type II that was hardly used.

Well I am going to give it a try this year. There are some bow only areas in Newton and Jasper counties I am looking into.

Bow only areas would be great if that was all that is allowed. What about squirrel hunters when the season runs concurrently with bow season?

I bow hunt every year on my lease (the only way I took one last year) and have hunted in south Texas on a bow only ranch. I have a hunt coming up in south Texas in November.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    pngbaseball33
    Newest Member
    pngbaseball33