So Who Get's the BC job??

Guest Bulldog

Anyone remember Les Johnson, the best athletic director to come to Bridge City. Small town politics ran him and they are running Billy Bryant out. Best advice I can give if you are a baseball coach don't apply. Of course if you have a cousin, wife, uncle or other family member on the board then apply. Winning in Bridge City is not what is important. It is all about who you know.  Billy is a great coach and his career is far from over. For a coach to get this much recognition says a lot about his ability to coach a winning team. Has Bridge City won state under him, no, but please tell me how many times Bridge City has won state in any sport. The numbers are very few. So who gets the job?  It all depends on what school board family member needs a job this year.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone remember Les Johnson, the best athletic director to come to Bridge City. Small town politics ran him and they are running Billy Bryant out. Best advice I can give if you are a baseball coach don't apply. Of course if you have a cousin, wife, uncle or other family member on the board then apply. Winning in Bridge City is not what is important. It is all about who you know.  Billy is a great coach and his career is far from over. For a coach to get this much recognition says a lot about his ability to coach a winning team. Has Bridge City won state under him, no, but please tell me how many times Bridge City has won state in any sport. The numbers are very few. So who gets the job?  It all depends on what school board family member needs a job this year.

Great post.

Perhaps the school board could comprise a list of possibilities from the little league coaches who are responsible for these kids' greatness and then vote on it.  Hey, there's not yet a reality TV show on "HIGH SCHOOL COACH SELECTION"...now, that's an idea!!! :o

Guest Bulldog

So how did coach Bryant get the job to begin with?? Probably his mother?? She "was" on the school board right?? right she was... You should really think before trying to prove a point about BC on here........

"If" politics got him out and thats an "if" then i promise you politics got him in.............

and im not the only one who agree's with this........

For the record, Coach Bryant blew in and blew out with the political winds.  They helped in and they hurt him.  As the old saying goes, "live by the sword, die by the sword".  I was never his biggest fan and thought he benefitted more from a string of remarkable talent (state championship talent, I might add) that never achieved to that level.  With that being said, the real chore is picking a coach that can maximize (rather than just rely on) the talent that continues in BC (you gotta be amazed at the talent that just keeps coming through there).

I would imagine there will be a number of candidates.  I am not privy to that list nor do I have any 'inside information'.  I do think that Coach Landry at HF would be a great candidate.  I don't know (except for they always reliable 'rumor mill') if he is even interested but he is a good baseball man who gets more out of his talent that not.  And he is well-versed in dealing with parents, etc. who are meddlesome to say the least (HF has its share...BC does not have this market cornered).  He has ties to BC and is well-connected in local baseball circles. 

I understand that no one asked me...these are just my thoughts as an 'interested observer' of BC baseball.

For the record, Coach Bryant blew in and blew out with the political winds.  They helped in and they hurt him.  As the old saying goes, "live by the sword, die by the sword".  I was never his biggest fan and thought he benefitted more from a string of remarkable talent (state championship talent, I might add) that never achieved to that level.  With that being said, the real chore is picking a coach that can maximize (rather than just rely on) the talent that continues in BC (you gotta be amazed at the talent that just keeps coming through there).

I would imagine there will be a number of candidates.  I am not privy to that list nor do I have any 'inside information'.  I do think that Coach Landry at HF would be a great candidate.  I don't know (except for they always reliable 'rumor mill') if he is even interested but he is a good baseball man who gets more out of his talent that not.  And he is well-versed in dealing with parents, etc. who are meddlesome to say the least (HF has its share...BC does not have this market cornered).  He has ties to BC and is well-connected in local baseball circles. 

I understand that no one asked me...these are just my thoughts as an 'interested observer' of BC baseball.

I really think you would be very hard pressed to find better, no matter how long they've been at it. I wished HJ had a opening when he became available.......

Oh I am sorry did I hit a sore spot for you?  You are right his mom, who by the way is my aunt, was on the board. You know what she was on the board when I was in school, that must have been why I placed 2nd in district in track and it has to be why I got my scholarship.  I am very educated on the politics of BC and very familiar with how they work. Maybe you should invest a little more time in research before you spout off. Billy's ability to coach a team has nothing to do with his reassigning. I guess you don't like him maybe because your child, nephew or cousin was one of those that never got to play. The best coaches in my opion are the ones that don't win the affection of every parent. If everyone loved him he wouldn't be doing his job.

I couldnt agree more with you.

The 05 and 06 sqaud  should have won back to back state championships or atleast one.

I thought the thread was about a new coach. Coach Bryant no longer coaches at bridge city so maybe you need find someone else to blame. The thread was blocked then reopened for what, more blame and trash talk.

If your going to talk about the state tourney then bring up the individual stats, start a thread on that, start a thread on the athletes that have scholarships then lose them.

Guest Bulldog

I thought the thread was about a new coach. Coach Bryant no longer coaches at bridge city so maybe you need find someone else to blame. The thread was blocked then reopened for what, more blame and trash talk.

If your going to talk about the state tourney then bring up the individual stats, start a thread on that, start a thread on the athletes that have scholarships then lose them.

Who's lost a scholarship shadow?

As far as i know no one has.........

Heres the deal, lets get this thread going back to discussion on who the new coach will be.

This has turned into nothing more than what is in the past.

Keep to the subject or this thread will either be locked up for good or deleted all together.

Thanks

i know this is not on the subject but why block it when someone has an opinion yall dont like that is what the board is far...i just dont sdee how anyone can say they lost the state game because of the coach..how many hits did he give up..how many errors did he make ....how many hits did he get...both games were not even close enough to say the coach messed up  and anyone that says that is just a coach hater ..but better yet they are just donw right ignorant.....and players might not have lost their scholarships they just couldnt hack it and came home...period!!!!!

Heres the deal, lets get this thread going back to discussion on who the new coach will be.

This has turned into nothing more than what is in the past.

Keep to the subject or this thread will either be locked up for good or deleted all together.

Thanks

Moderator it isn't the past it is the future of these baseball players. Their future gets compromised because small town politics is more important than their success. You can lock and block all you want. Regardless it doesn't change what the situation is. Why discuss who the new coach is when there wasn't anything wrong with the coach that was there. These players deserve a good coach and a coach that is willing to do what it takes to advance their potential future in sports. Even if that means doing what he feels is right and not what the school board or the players parents think is right.  I know exactly what I am talking about because I was one of those athletes. Some  of these players have potential to go beyond high school sports. Yet the politics that surround the choosing of a coach greatly compromises their future. The seniors now get to go into a new season with a new coach. If they tank this season their goes their opportunity for a scholarship. If you want to lock, then do so but like I said it changes nothing.