*Bryant to be reassigned*

Bryant to be reassigned

Gabriel Pruett

The Orange Leader

BRIDGE CITY — The rumors turned into facts Friday as Billy Bryant was informed he would be reassigned at Bridge City High School, ending a stellar baseball coaching career at his alma mater.

Bryant was 151-32 with the Cardinals, leading Bridge City to back-to-back state tournaments in 2005 and 2006.

“Coach Bryant has been reassigned,†Dr. Jamey Harrison, Bridge City ISD superintendent, said. “He will not be the baseball coach at Bridge City High School next year. His reassignment has nothing to do with wins or losses, or how the team did in the playoffs. I like Billy and I wish him well.â€

Because the district has a policy of not discussing personnel matters, Harrison was not able to go into detail. It is unknown at this time what Bryant’s new responsibilities will be for the school district.

Bryant has spent five years at Bridge City, winning four district titles along the way.

The Cardinals finished this past season 26-7 and won the District 21-3A title with a 13-1 mark before losing in the regional quarterfinals to defending state champion Jasper.

Jasper was also to blame for last year’s exit in the playoffs as the Bulldogs knocked out the Cardinals in the regional finals.

Jeff Stringer, who pitched for Bryant last season, was stunned after hearing about his former coach.

“It’s unbelievable,†Stringer said. “I’m really at a loss for words. I’m shocked because I really didn’t expect this. There were moments we didn’t get along but he always made you laugh and he understood the game.

“You really enjoyed the moments you had with him. There were some back-and-forths with Coach Bryant but he is just one of those people you enjoy talking to.â€

Orangefield Coach Jeff Bennett has coached against Bryant the last two seasons and knows all too well how difficult playing against the Cardinals can be.

“When you played against Bridge City, you knew you were going up against a quality program,†Bennett said. “The tradition in Bridge City has always been there and Billy did a good job to uphold it. You knew no matter what when you play Bridge City you were in for a dogfight.

“Coach Bryant is a good coach who knows the game. It is unfortunate the

way the circumstances fell the way they did. He will end up somewhere and

do a good job for that program.â€

Bridge City Athletics Director Cris Stump said the athletics program will open the position up and search for a new coach.

“We’ll post the job and see what happens,†Stump said. “It is just like any other position which needs to be filled. We are going to do what is best for our kids and our athletics program.â€

Bryant, the brother of Tampa Bay placeicker Matt Bryant, was not available for comment Friday evening, after the official word of his reassignment was made public.

Tommy Mann Jr. contributed to this story.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest etbu

My first question is why are the statements coming from the supid instead of Coach Stump? Sounds to me like maybe a new supid has a cousin somewhere that needs a job.

Bridge City Athletics Director Cris Stump said the athletics program will open the position up and search for a new coach.

“We’ll post the job and see what happens,†Stump said. “It is just like any other position which needs to be filled. We are going to do what is best for our kids and our athletics program.â€

what does this have to do w/ football??

Maybe nothing but maybe everything.  I know another school that every decision they make regarding hiring and reassignments are based on how it will effect football.  That started when the current AD began building his program.  Other programs have suffered but the football program has been successful.  BC may be experiencing the same thing.  Just speculation.  I know it can't be based on job performance.  Coach Bryant's record speaks for itself. 

My first question is why are the statements coming from the supid instead of Coach Stump? Sounds to me like maybe a new supid has a cousin somewhere that needs a job.

The school board and super handle reassignments, hiring and firings.  Not the AD.

Lets keep this thread open with discussion and no speculation or any more rumors on why the decision was made.

I know just as many others do this is a touchy subject with a lot of back story yet it does a disservice to everyone involved to throw more rumors into the fire.

Guest etbu

I knew that BC had a really good Supid but I think he went to Livingston right? Who is this new one and where is he from? Something smells really fishy about this deal. New Supid does not just show up and run off a man that has won this many games for nothing....... We had a supid here in Huffman that did the same thing to a coach about five years ago.

Guest Bulldog

I knew that BC had a really good Supid but I think he went to Livingston right? Who is this new one and where is he from? Something smells really fishy about this deal. New Supid does not just show up and run off a man that has won this many games for nothing....... We had a supid here in Huffman that did the same thing to a coach about five years ago and not right.

Same thing happen to Coach Moore when Tarver came in...........

I knew that BC had a really good Supid but I think he went to Livingston right? Who is this new one and where is he from? Something smells really fishy about this deal. New Supid does not just show up and run off a man that has won this many games for nothing....... We had a supid here in Huffman that did the same thing to a coach about five years ago and not right.

Same thing happen to Coach Moore when Tarver came in...........

You are right.  And didn't Coach B and family hate Coach Moore?  Mrs. B. is on school board and  Billy  replaces  Coach Moore.  Uh oh ... what goes around comes around.

I don't think it had anything to do with who he played or didn't play...........sure didn't have anything to do with the W/L record.  I think it is about being a team player at a high school, being able to teach classes, maintain discipline and maybe even having a personality that does not rub all the other faculty members crazy.

But for what ever reason it is what it is.........now to find a coach to fill the position.  I hear that the first assistant will not be back coaching as well........at least at BC.  That should be a relief to parents of upcoming kids.

So in the end, we can guess and guess and maybe never know why the change was made.  The big thing is to get a guy in that knows baseball, is good for the kids and is a quality person.  I have heard rumor of a few who will apply, but until its announced, best not to feed the rumor mill.

I still wonder if Buc3 is BB himself and not his brother!!  He has a habit of sending PM's that are not in the least flattering to the professional player that he is or his brother.

Guest etbu

Your right its about the kids and have to get a new Coach and sure that many good ones will apply. Good luck to Coach B and to BC.

In my opinion..........

There is more to coaching in High School than winning and losing, and keeping up with a W-L record.  I expect the people who teach my children at the HS level to be educators in LIFE, as well as academia.  Basing your opinion, as a non-resident of Bridge City without first-hand knowledge of the situation, as to the success or failure of a coach on solely a W-L record, is pure speculation at best.  To suggest, from the outside, that this move is a mistake, is a mistake in its' own right.

Time will allow all the facts to come to the surface, without all of the rumors disguising the truth.  Until that happens, read more and post less.............. please!

Guest etbu

In my opinion..........

There is more to coaching in High School than winning and losing, and keeping up with a W-L record.  I expect the people who teach my children at the HS level to be educators in LIFE, as well as academia.  Basing your opinion, as a non-resident of Bridge City without first-hand knowledge of the situation, as to the success or failure of a coach on solely a W-L record, is pure speculation at best.  To suggest, from the outside, that this move is a mistake, is a mistake in its' own right.

Time will allow all the facts to come to the surface, without all of the rumors disguising the truth.  Until that happens, read more and post less.............. please!

If that is the case then Bird why not take the entire thread down? If this a BC subject only why not jerk it?

The school board and super handle reassignments, hiring and firings.  Not the AD.

Wrong,,, The School Board only acts on recommendations from the superintendent.  Every heard of co-management.

[i still wonder if Buc3 is BB himself and not his brother!!  He has a habit of sending PM's that are not in the least flattering to the professional player that he is or his brother.

I can assure you that I am not Billy. I kept your pm about wasting away as a pawnbroker or a teacher for inspiration and a reminder how spineless some people can be. I now have an agenda. Best of luck.

In my opinion..........

If's and but's:  If BC had went on to win state this year, do you think Coach Bryant would have been there next year?