Big Ray for Big Red

Guest abovetherim

Guest abovetherim

By Tom Halliburton

The Port Arthur News

BEAUMONT -- Lamar president Dr. Jimmy Simmons boasted about his athletic director's nation-wide contacts in being able to search for a Cardinals head football coach.

So Billy Tubbs traveled the world and unloaded his sales pitch on a guy from Corrigan-Camden.... oh well, who needs those well-known national names anyway? LU has its man -- 46-year-old Lufkin native and Navarro College head coach Ray Woodard.

A first cousin of former Silsbee mentor Charlie Woodard, Lamar's new football coach pledged to become a very familiar face throughout the area's high school programs and social clubs prior to signing as many as 30 prospects next winter and having a 2009 exhibition season before Lamar's 2010 re-entry into Division I-AA football.

The 1982 Texas Longhorns media guide -- always with Fred Akers on the cover -- listed the Corrigan-Camden defensive tackle Woodard at 6-6, 260. More than 25 years later, it looked as if Woodard probably maintained his playing weight and then some.

"If it involves food, I'll be there," Woodard said, eliciting a hearty laugh from area media members. "I'm going to be out in the community."

Accompanied by his Penne, and daughter Jessica -- while the family's two dogs stayed in Corsicana -- Woodard pledged to run a multiple offense and a multiple defense. He visited Tubbs "about a month ago" for an initial interview but he traveled here expecting to have very little interest in re-starting Lamar football.

"I came down here for an initial interview with coach Tubbs with every intention of finding a bunch of things wrong with this program," Woodard said. "I would get in my car and go back up to Navarro because we were going to have a heckuva team this year. When I left, I was pumped up about this opportunity.

"From there, the next month I spent as much time doing everything I could to get back into the finals... I came here with one foot out the door and then I didn't want to leave."

Woodard is the eighth football coach in Lamar history. His one head coaching campaign at Navarro was a special one after two seasons as the Bulldogs' defensive coordinator. Navarro finished fourth in the NJCAA national poll at 9-3 with a 24-21 win over Georgia Military in the Pilgrim's Pride Bowl. The Dogs ended third nationally in total offense (444.6 ypg) and fourth in rushing offense (250.5 ypg).

"This is a pretty good for me but a great day for Lamar University to be bringing back football," he said at the start of his 20-minute remarks during Monday afternoon's Montagne Center introductory press conference.

"I'm a little bit nervous and excited and I'm not going to apologize for that... One of the things that's special about this is that it's home. I'm coming home."

Before he started the 1982 and 1983 seasons in UT's defense, Woodard inaugurated his college career as a modest walk-on but a two-time JC all-America selection at Kilgore College. His own humble beginnings influenced his current philosophy about opening LU's doors wide for walk-on players.

"I'm going to start a very extensive walk-on program," Woodard pledged. "I was a JC walk-on so I treat walk-ons pretty good. I've heard about all the hard work that we've got to do here.... If it's hard work, you've got the right guy."

Although Woodard does not have a strong historical previous association with his new employer, Tubbs described Lamar's re-start football coach as "one of us" based on his familiarity to Southeast Texas and the Golden Triangle.

"This was not a fly-by-the-minute quick hire," Tubbs said, thanking the selection committee for their involvement and participation in the process. "It's almost been an ongoing process for five years. We had a very extensive search to say the least... We consulted with many well-known coaches. We had a lot of real good applicants and it was obvious we were going to land an excellent coach.

Ray knows the big time. He's played at the highest level of major college football (UT) and the NFL (Denver's 1986 Super Bowl team). He's coached at Division I, Junior College, Arena Football and NFL Europe. We definitely were looking for someone who could recruit. Ray has a very good recruiting base in Houston, Southeast Texas and Louisiana."

The Lamar-Beaumont president, Simmons, did not announce his Woodard's salary or length of contract. Simmons indicated a formal reception would be held for the public to meet and greet Lamar's new football coach very soon.

WOODARD'S BACKGROUND

Coaching Experience

2007 Navarro Junior College Head Coach

2005-06 Navarro Junior College Defensive Coordinator

2003-04 Burton (Texas) HS Head Coach

2000-03 Scottish Claymores (NFL Europe) Defensive Coordinator

1999 Houston Outlaws (Regional Football League) Head Coach/General Manager

1998-2001 Livingston (Texas) HS Defensive Coordinator

1998 Louisiana-Lafayette Defensive Line

1997 Trinity (Texas) HS Defensive Coordinator

1996-97 Frankfurt Galaxy (NFL Europe) Defensive Coordinator

1995 Texas Terror (Arena Football League) Defensive Coordinator

1988-95 Kilgore College Defensive Coordinator

Playing Experience

1987-88 Kansas City Chiefs Defensive Line

1986-87 Denver Broncos Offensive & Defensive Line

1984-85 San Diego Chargers Offensive & Defensive Line

1982-83 University of Texas Defensive Tackle

1980-81 Kilgore College Defensive Tackle & Tight End

http://www.panews.com/sports/local_story_140214715.html?start:int=30

According to the Beaumont Enterprise and it seems the Port Arthur News, both newspapers will call Lamar's sub-division of participation as I-AA. This is a shame for a program will need to educate their fans on the proper subdivision of play and what can happen for a successful team at this subdivision.

With all this 'I-AA' rubbish out there in the Southeast Texas community, the media has officially opened themselves to being recruited against in other sports as I-AA program (one of the major reasons behind the name change) while other programs have media and athletic department officials working to promote the proper playing level of the school. Sure, I may be taking it "too far", but this is one of my biggest pet peeves.

According to the Beaumont Enterprise and it seems the Port Arthur News, both newspapers will call Lamar's sub-division of participation as I-AA. This is a shame for a program will need to educate their fans on the proper subdivision of play and what can happen for a successful team at this subdivision.

With all this 'I-AA' rubbish out there in the Southeast Texas community, the media has officially opened themselves to being recruited against in other sports as I-AA program (one of the major reasons behind the name change) while other programs have media and athletic department officials working to promote the proper playing level of the school. Sure, I may be taking it "too far", but this is one of my biggest pet peeves.

I have to agree with you on this one. Whether we like it or not, I-AA does not exist and media should not be using this terminology any longer.

I have to agree with you on this one. Whether we like it or not, I-AA does not exist and media should not be using this terminology any longer.

Thanks HouTexan. :)

Lamar's athletic department won't use the terminology of I-AA. If they do, they are not doing the "right thing". The media needs to fall in the fold. Sure, call it Football Championship Subdivision (formerly I-AA) for awhile until the locals get on the right page, but by calling it I-AA, the media is doing no favors to the Cards, especially if coaches are able to confuse kids into thinkings that Gillgan coaches I-AA baseball and that Roc is the I-AA basketball coach.

As much as you and I (and maybe ABR3) know the proper names, there are a lot of parents and potential student-athletes that do not.

FYI Perryn, if you are reading this, Lamar plays Division I football and plays Division I in all other sports offered.

Lamar's athletic department won't use the terminology of I-AA. If they do, they are not doing the "right thing". The media needs to fall in the fold. Sure, call it Football Championship Subdivision (formerly I-AA) for awhile until the locals get on the right page, but by calling it I-AA, the media is doing no favors to the Cards, especially if coaches are able to confuse kids into thinkings that Gillgan coaches I-AA baseball and that Roc is the I-AA basketball coach.

As much as you and I (and maybe ABR3) know the proper names, there are a lot of parents and potential student-athletes that do not.

FYI Perryn, if you are reading this, Lamar plays Division I football and plays Division I in all other sports offered.

What difference does it make, its still JV ball.

UNLV is an idiot.  I can assure you that if it has NCAA in front of it, it is not JV ball.  I do not think Rhett Bomar is a JV player.  And he is jus tone of many at that level.  I am not sure what UNLV's experience is with college football but it must not be much if App. St. is JV in his mind.

Guest coachacola

If its not JV ball, then why seperate the them?    do they seperate any other sports?

Lamar was going to start out playing FCS-level football anyways so what's the big deal?  If you're still upset because a "big-name" isn't the coach or the stadium is going to be 30K, then go complain to the big donors for not donating more of their money.  Go call up R.C. Slocum or Jimmy Johnson and tell them how disappointed you are in them because they didn't want the coach at Lamar.  Football's back at Lamar and it's going to succeed, you should be happy.

If its not JV ball, then why seperate the them?     do they seperate any other sports?

Lamar was going to start out playing FCS-level football anyways so what's the big deal?  If you're still upset because a "big-name" isn't the coach or the stadium is going to be 30K, then go complain to the big donors for not donating more of their money.  Go call up R.C. Slocum or Jimmy Johnson and tell them how disappointed you are in them because they didn't want the coach at Lamar.  Football's back at Lamar and it's going to succeed, you should be happy.

Lamar will stay FCS. Lamar will stay in the SLC. UTSA is moving up, Texas st moving, SHSU will also move up, maybe SFA and NW st.

Everything about Lamars plans, so far, points to FCS. This is 1980's all over again. I was there, I know, were you?

If its not JV ball, then why seperate the them?    do they seperate any other sports?

Because there are schools that actually want to compete for a national championship in football (see FCS) while there are schools that want to stick to the bowl format that they feel generates more $$$ (and is not always the case) and do not care about a true national championship (see FBS).

More cost-efficient way to have football (see non-scholarship FCS) without all the heavy costs associated with it.

If its not JV ball, then why seperate the them?     do they seperate any other sports?

Because there are schools that actually want to compete for a national championship in football (see FCS) while there are schools that want to stick to the bowl format that they feel generates more $$$ (and is not always the case) and do not care about a true national championship (see FBS).

More cost-efficient way to have football (see non-scholarship FCS) without all the heavy costs associated with it.

Sam Houston st Internal committee is in favor of a FBS (formerly I-A) upgrade, idiots or smart move?

Guest coachacola

Lamar will stay FCS. Lamar will stay in the SLC. UTSA is moving up, Texas st moving, SHSU will also move up, maybe SFA and NW st.

Everything about Lamars plans, so far, points to FCS. This is 1980's all over again. I was there, I know, were you?

Don't you get tired of repeating this over and over again?  You don't know what Lamar's plans are concerning football.  You haven't even seen the plans for the football stadium renovations.  We've seen a small sketch of what needs to be done and roughly how much things will cost, but that's about it.  You don't know if Tubbs is talking quietly to other schools and conferences, or to big donors about future upgrades.  As we've said many times before, going from no football to FBS doesn't happen in a couple of years.

Sam Houston st Internal committee is in favor of a FBS (formerly I-A) upgrade, idiots or smart move?

SHSU will only move if one of the two following occurs:

1) SHSU's rivals, particularly SFA and Texas State-San Marcos make the move up.

2) The landscape of college football puts more seats at the table for other conferences to participate in the FBS (i.e playoffs)

Don't you get tired of repeating this over and over again?  You don't know what Lamar's plans are concerning football.  You haven't even seen the plans for the football stadium renovations.  We've seen a small sketch of what needs to be done and roughly how much things will cost, but that's about it.  You don't know if Tubbs is talking quietly to other schools and conferences, or to big donors about future upgrades.  As we've said many times before, going from no football to FBS doesn't happen in a couple of years.

Don't you get tired of responding to my repeats?    Joining the SLC in football means no FBS. If Terror is right, and I know he is although I hate to admit it, Lamar

will join the SLC in football in 2012. The same year UTSA, Texas st, and SHSU will be leaving.

SHSU will only move if one of the two following occurs:

1) SHSU's rivals, particularly SFA and Texas State-San Marcos make the move up.

2) The landscape of college football puts more seats at the table for other conferences to participate in the FBS (i.e playoffs)

Texas st is moving up...period. I'm not sure about SFA. SFA most likely is watch SHSU and Texas st.

FBS will get a playoff system by 2012.

that's ur problem UNLV, ur still stuck in the 1980's. 

UNLV, get on board and support the program.  We don't need a bunch of negativity...let's support the new staff and make the program top notch.

I want LU to be top notch. But we have a difference in opinion on what is top notch.

that's ur problem UNLV, ur still stuck in the 1980's. 

I remember the 80's and empty seats. I remember the 70's and a full stadium. The plan looks more like the 80's.

Don't you get tired of responding to my repeats?    Joining the SLC in football means no FBS. If Terror is right, and I know he is although I hate to admit it, Lamar

will join the SLC in football in 2012. The same year UTSA, Texas st, and SHSU will be leaving.

Lamar will join the SLC in football in 2012. I do believe at the current time that SHSU and Texas St-San Marcos will be there as well. As far as UTSA goes, the Commish won't let them into the SLC if they announce officially they are going FBS and will use the SLC for a year or two to help them fill the slate.

The moratorium has yet to be lifted. There's no proof that FBS will have a playoff when the contract comes up again. I'm just not convinced and the moratorium is the ultimate curveball.

Don't you get tired of responding to my repeats?     Joining the SLC in football means no FBS. If Terror is right, and I know he is although I hate to admit it, Lamar

Lamar will join the SLC in football in 2012. I do believe at the current time that SHSU and Texas St-San Marcos will be there as well. As far as UTSA goes, the Commish won't let them into the SLC if they announce officially they are going FBS and will use the SLC for a year or two to help them fill the slate.

The moratorium has yet to be lifted. There's no proof that FBS will have a playoff when the contract comes up again. I'm just not convinced and the moratorium is the ultimate curveball.

There is no proof of anything, except the big conference realignment. The moratorium is proof of that.

Why would UTSA care that the slc won't let them in 2012 if UTSA plan to be FBS in 2013?

This what my critics don't understand. Joining the slc in 2010 or 2012, choose, is a very strong sign of no FBS in the future.

The moratorium ends in 2011, teams will be sprinting to new conferences while Lamar is joining the slc. Funny isn't it Terror?

As long as we have alot of good local recruits there will be people!! This will work!!

As long as we have a lot of good recruits, local or not, and we win, there will be people.  This has to be done right, and limiting your talent pool to local kids is not the way to go.

Guest abovetherim

Yes, I agree the proper thing to do is call the divisions the same as the NCAA does. This would be FCS and FBS at the present time.

Now about the future of Lamar in 10 years no one knows at this point. I heard Coach Woodard myself (on KLVI) state the administration is not going to put any type of limit on the program. They are thinking of the possibility of moving to a FBS conference but Coach Woodard added right now he just wants to be competitive in the SLC.

So, like I've stated 30 times on this forum there is a "possibility" of one day moving to a FBS conference but it will not happen any time soon.

God, it is great having football back at Lamar University!!!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami