Acknowledging Academic Achievement as well as Athletic Achievement

I know we(adults) stress academics but some times get so caught up in the athletic achievement of our kids that we fail to give the same attention to academic accomplishment.  Therefore, I want this thread to be utilized to recognize athletes who also excel in academics.

Nederland notified several student athletes that they have been selected for induction into the National Honor Society today.   I do not know all of the names but I do know my son, Jordan Pitts(Varsity Baseball and Basketball), and Taylor Carlson(Varsity Girls Basketball, Soccer, and Track) were selected.  I appreciate the effort they have given to excel both as an athlete and student. I'm very proud of both of them. 

I know there are other kids in Nederland and around the area that have excelled and hope you will add their name to this thread so we can be sure to recognize and congratulate them.  I know some people hate for you you to come on here and talk about your own kid(s), but I think this is worth recognizing.

Well I know for a fact that the following players at Ozen as in the National Honor Society and well as at the Top of their SR classes.  And I am sure their are more on the team, just don't know their status for fact:

Danny Fowler - Catcher (Top 10) Magna Cum Laude ranked # 3 out of class of 318

Josh Gardiner - SS/P (Top 10%) Cum Laude  ranked # 22 out of a class of 318

Chris Raggett - OF (Top 10%) Cum Laude ranked # 28 out of a class of 318

I may be a little off on Gardiner & Raggett rankings slightly(+/-), but Danny Fowler is defintley ranked # 3.

And like I said before, I know their are others like Taylor, Lott & Wilcox who I know are probably recognized as well, just don't know their status.  Ozen has always seemed to have academically inclined players on their Team even in the past years.

Well I know for a fact that the following players at Ozen as in the National Honor Society and well as at the Top of their SR classes.  And I am sure their are more on the team, just don't know their status for fact:

I may be a little off on Gardiner & Raggett rankings slightly(+/-), but Danny Fowler is defintley ranked # 3.

And like I said before, I know their are others like Taylor, Lott & Wilcox who I know are probably recognized as well, just don't know their status.  Ozen has always seemed to have academically inclined players on their Team even in the past years.

Very impressive numbers. Nice job.

I know we(adults) stress academics but some times get so caught up in the athletic achievement of our kids that we fail to give the same attention to academic accomplishment.  Therefore, I want this thread to be utilized to recognize athletes who also excel in academics.

Nederland notified several student athletes that they have been selected for induction into the National Honor Society today.   I do not know all of the names but I do know my son, Jordan Pitts(Varsity Baseball and Basketball), and Taylor Carlson(Varsity Girls Basketball, Soccer, and Track) were selected.  I appreciate the effort they have given to excel both as an athlete and student. I'm very proud of both of them. 

I know there are other kids in Nederland and around the area that have excelled and hope you will add their name to this thread so we can be sure to recognize and congratulate them.  I know some people hate for you you to come on here and talk about your own kid(s), but I think this is worth recognizing.

I agree with you....it is certainly worth recognizing. Job well done. Congratulations. 

Great bunch of young men! 

I know of 4 LCM Varsity Baseball players that are in the National Honor Society.  There may be more so I apologize if I missed you.

Seniors Phillip Richard and Joseph Viator (both also play football) I do not know of their class rankings.

Juniors Tim Barry and Stefan Leger (Stefan also plays football).  Tim and Stefan are also in the top 10% of their class.  Congratulations to you all for your hard work!!!

At West Brook High School, the baseball program has traditionally had some of the top students in the school. This years varsity baseball team may exceed these already high standards.

Center Fielder - David Falgout -- senior  -- top 5% of the 2008 graduating class and National Honor Society member. David has been accepted and will attend Rice University. In addition to being a fine young man, and outstanding baseball player, David also excelled on the gridiron as a defensive back and was a Willie Ray Smith finalist for defensive players.

First Baseman - Will Partain -- senior - top 10% of the 2008 graduating class and National Honor Society member. Will has the opportunity to play college baseball at the University of Texas at Dallas. Will has been awarded a four year Academic Recognition Scholarship by UTD and will study Business and Biology.

Shortstop - Thad Lycan -- senior - top 10% of the 2008 graduating class and National Honor Society member. Thad will attend LSU and study engineering. 

Left Fielder - Matt Serna - senior - top 10% of the 2008 graduating class and National Honor Society mmember. Matt will attend Texas A&M and study engineering.

Infielder - Matt Parker - senior - top 10% of the 2008 graduating class and National Honor Society member. Matt will attend TCU and study business. 

Pitcher - Aaron Bender - senior - top 15% of the 2008 graduating class and National Honor Society member. Aaron will attend the University of Georgia and study business.

Catcher - Scott Gabel - senior - top 10% of the 2008 graduating class and National Honor Society member. Scott will attend LSU and study business.

Pitcher - Micah Gibson - junior - top 5% (number 17) in the class of 2009 at WBHS.

In case you haven't seen it....

We at KFDM Channel 6 are now doing a 'Scholar-Athlete of the Week' feature every Monday on News at Noon.  "Our own" Lance Edwards (he of the broken ankle fame at the WO-S-Giddings playoff game last fall.... YouTube it--trust me!) recognizes a boy and girl each week for their achievements on and off the field.  Not always the superstar player, but that's not the idea.... the idea is to recognize those who work hard in the classroom as well as the playing field. 

A big thanks to Lance, and to our area principals, counselors and coaches for their help in nominating these deserving young men and women.

You can see previous honorees on our website -- www.kfdm.com -- click where it says 'More News, Sports and Weather Videos', and then the 'Scholar Athlete' tab.  Coop also posts them here on setxsports.com.

Greg Picazo

KFDM News at Noon

In Bridge City ...

Matt Hicks was recently inducted into the National Honor Society, and is in the top 5% of the class of 2010.  :)

He joins existing NHS athletes Blake Hubbard & Grant Encalade.  Good job guys!

If I've left out any other BC baseball players, please forgive me.

Great bunch of young men! 

Way to go, I had no idea that Josh was that smart and Chris too.  Ryan is smart too, he is just LAZY.  So Proud of you both and all of the young men that are mentioned.  Congrats and good luck in the future.  And DD if you are one of these young scholars, you know how proud I am of you and I love you bunches!

Mrs. Paige

Nathan Minshew should be mentioned here. Sorry, do not have specifics on his list of achievements, my understanding is that he got a full ride to Lamar for engineering. Any one out there in hiring capacities should go ahead and sign him now. He will make a great employee some day. He is a very determined ball player and student. He approaches both with ' a leave it all on the field ' mentality. He reminds me of John Cangelosi that played for the Astros a few years back, not real big, but very big hearted.

Nederland first base/third baseman Aaron McFarland was selected to National Honor Society and has been an A/B student for most of his high school career.  He's a great kid who is deserving of the best life has to offer.  I hope he get's a chance to play somewhere at the next level.

John Bradley-Jasper Short Stop-2008

2nd Base/Left Field-2007

National Honor Society-3 years

Named Mirabeau Scholar Finalist at Lamar

Three academic scholarships from Lamar

Honors College at Lamar

Chemical Engineering

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member