Lamar Recruiting in this area

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DickVitale

Traditionally Lamar doesn't recruit home town players....  Home town players don't traditionally go to Lamar.. So it is a no win situation!!!!!!!!!!

I know Roc is smarter than that...He has GOT to change that silly tradition....and I think he will, if he has not already...Remember a kid we had at Ozen named Brandon Chappell? He had a pretty darn good run at Lamar...Roc knows what to do, trust me.

i dont see why they dont recruit the local talent.. every year they complain about the attendance but if they had more local players on the team more people would go to watch them because they would feel more connected to them instead of juco players from other parts of the world

i dont see why they dont recruit the local talent.. every year they complain about the attendance but if they had more local players on the team more people would go to watch them because they would feel more connected to them instead of juco players from other parts of the world

Very well put...This year they are having a good year and all but I still believe that if they would've gotten some of the players out of this area that is really good like "Ryan Donahoe and some more. They could really been better. My opinion

I thinks that it is funny that we think that just because someone was good in our area that Lamar is crazy if they do not go after them.  Having played D1 basketball I can't even describe the talent that is needed and the dedication.  This is not bragging because I will be the first to tell you that playing D1 vs getting to play are 2 different things.  Look at the Hall kid, he was all world in our area and now look at how many minutes he actually gets on the floor. I used to play against guys like Rex Chapman,Sean Kemp, John Pelphery, and I can tell you that as good as I thought I was, it was incredible to watch these guys play. We might think that Lamar is just a local school but D1 is D1 and no coach in his right mind is going to waste a scholarship to get the local fans to come out.  Lamar averaged about 3-4  thousand people this season and led the conference.  There are very few if any kids in our area that are going to be D1 star basketball players.  They might be solid D2 or D3 but I think that is even going to be pushing it.  These guys are good local players but most are big fish in a small pond in this area.  BTW this is not a knock on any kid just a reality check.

hell they ran the coach off that allowed him to come to lamar and play

It has nothing to do with local talent. I've seen the same complaints for the last *&^% years. Lamar has a full house when they play teams such as Texas A&M, Univ. of Texas, Univ of Houston (get my drift?).

It ain't got nothing to do with local talent and attendance. Name a local talent who brought fans to the stands?  C'mon people, people love winners.

Guest stevenash

The Kemps, Pelphreys, etc.etc. DO NOT  play at Lamar.  I think the point being made is that if you look at the LU rosters over recent years, there are a number of players (not from this area) who also are not the Kemps, Pelphreys, etc.etc.  When SFA was pursuing Donahoe, the SFA coach told the HJ staff that Donahoe was better (at the time he was being pursued)that he was better than any guard SFA was playing.  Who was it that won the conference this year? HMMMMMMMM?

I would be the last person to suggest to Coach Roc who he should go after. But Wildcatter, not very many of the guys that are on the LU roster from out of state were thought good enough to play for their local schools either.

I thinks that it is funny that we think that just because someone was good in our area that Lamar is crazy if they do not go after them. Having played D1 basketball I can't even describe the talent that is needed and the dedication. This is not bragging because I will be the first to tell you that playing D1 vs getting to play are 2 different things. Look at the Hall kid, he was all world in our area and now look at how many minutes he actually gets on the floor. I used to play against guys like Rex Chapman,Sean Kemp, John Pelphery, and I can tell you that as good as I thought I was, it was incredible to watch these guys play. We might think that Lamar is just a local school but D1 is D1 and no coach in his right mind is going to waste a scholarship to get the local fans to come out. Lamar averaged about 3-4 thousand people this season and led the conference. There are very few if any kids in our area that are going to be D1 star basketball players. They might be solid D2 or D3 but I think that is even going to be pushing it. These guys are good local players but most are big fish in a small pond in this area. BTW this is not a knock on any kid just a reality check.

Area Talent that can play on Next level- Just a FEW

Big Riley 7' - Prarie View - D1 - first team all conference

Emmanuel McElroy - Cincinnati - D1 - First Team All Conference

Louis Arline - Lamar - First Team all conference

Thadeous Holden - Tennessee by way of Lamar - D1 - first team all conference

Trey Peters - Tubbs tried to pressure into signing early and he pulled out

Trey Mcdowedl - LA Tech - D1 by way of Junco (all-american)

Clearence Mathews - Middle Tennessee State - D1 - All conference first team

Jason Dabney - Texas Southern - D1

Keena Young - BYU - D1 - all conference first team and MVP

Kountz Hancockes (3 brothers) - North Westeren State - D1 (two have made first team all conference with the last making it next year)

The talent is here if Lamar want to use it!!

There are certainly players in this area that could play for Lamar.  It's not like Lamar is a marquee school.  Why not take a chance on some of these local kids that are going JUCO and see if they can help your squad.  I know that the superstars from this area are going to leave and go to big name schools, but it's not like the superstars from other areas are coming here.  Why not get the solid players from this area before you waste the time and resources going after kids of similar talent levels that are in other states.  This will give the community added incentive to go to the games.  It may also help lure local superstars into playing as well.  If they already have teammates from HS playing at Lamar, they may be a little more willing to stay at home and play with their friends or guys that they've played against in district.       

The Kemps, Pelphreys, etc.etc. DO NOT  play at Lamar.  I think the point being made is that if you look at the LU rosters over recent years, there are a number of players (not from this area) who also are not the Kemps, Pelphreys, etc.etc.  When SFA was pursuing Donahoe, the SFA coach told the HJ staff that Donahoe was better (at the time he was being pursued)that he was better than any guard SFA was playing.  Who was it that won the conference this year? HMMMMMMMM?

Hmmm! You had a kid from HJ back in the early 90's (?) and I think his last year LU made it to the NCAA and played  Duke (?).  Attendance didnot rise because he played at LU. But back to Donahoe. He's a good example of a player who is/was good but not for a major D-1 school, which was probably one of the problems in his case. Everybody is not a major D-1  just because you are a star at your local high school. There is nothing wrong with the LU's, SFA's, etc. to play ball and get a degree.

There are certainly players in this area that could play for Lamar.  It's not like Lamar is a marquee school.  Why not take a chance on some of these local kids that are going JUCO and see if they can help your squad.  I know that the superstars from this area are going to leave and go to big name schools, but it's not like the superstars from other areas are coming here.  Why not get the solid players from this area before you waste the time and resources going after kids of similar talent levels that are in other states.  This will give the community added incentive to go to the games.  It may also help lure local superstars into playing as well.  If they already have teammates from HS playing at Lamar, they may be a little more willing to stay at home and play with their friends or guys that they've played against in district.       

It's not the reality of the game fellas. You're living in a dream world or staying in S.E.Texas too long. Get out and read a major newspaper, watch the national news,etc, etc, bah-hhhh. If you are a good D-1 player, you are most likely NOT to attend a school like LU. These guys are looking at places & competition way beyond what schools like LU offer.

Guest stevenash

Do you remember B.B. Davis and James Gulley?  They produced quite well for Lamar and were from local area schools.  Joe Dumars at McNeese and Karl Malone of Louisiana Tech also were apparently not major d-1 players as was P.J. Brown (now with the Celtics)and Andrew Toney.

Hmmm! You had a kid from HJ back in the early 90's (?) and I think his last year LU made it to the NCAA and played  Duke (?).  Attendance didnot rise because he played at LU. But back to Donahoe. He's a good example of a player who is/was good but not for a major D-1 school, which was probably one of the problems in his case. Everybody is not a major D-1  just because you are a star at your local high school. There is nothing wrong with the LU's, SFA's, etc. to play ball and get a degree.

You are talking about Kenyan Spears and he was not the star but that was the year Lamar had the most local talent playing for them...  They had Thadeous Holden and Louis Arline both of silsbee playing...  The season wasnt like this one... Lamar got hot at to start the season, went cold and finished seventh to in the Southland then won it all...  They were led by 6'8" Landon Rowe SF...  Both Holden and Spears started and the area was there at every game...  They had some of there best years of attendance during that time...  The program was virtually new to the Southland... They had just left the SunBelt in '98...

You solidify the arguement more that they need local talent there for fan base and the fact is that they compete well too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  The only Southland Tourney Championship included three home town kids...  And go back to BB Davis and Gulley and you got the last time they were ultra competitive and a sweet sixteen birth....  With LOCAL TALENT Lamar was at their best!

Guest DickVitale

You want local kids at Lamar? Tell Billy and Roc to call Andre Boutte, make him an offer that he cant refuse to be Roc's top assistant, and watch the sparks fly!! Pretty simple. 8)

What I'm saying, Dickie, is that if we're pulling in guys from all over that aren't good enough to play at major D1 schools, but are good enough to play for a weaker team such as lamar, why are we not seeing more players of that caliber from this area playing at Lamar?

You are talking about Kenyan Spears and he was not the star but that was the year Lamar had the most local talent playing for them...  They had Thadeous Holden and Louis Arline both of silsbee playing...  The season wasnt like this one... Lamar got hot at to start the season, went cold and finished seventh to in the Southland then won it all...  They were led by 6'8" Landon Rowe SF...  Both Holden and Spears started and the area was there at every game...  They had some of there best years of attendance during that time...  The program was virtually new to the Southland... They had just left the SunBelt in '98...

You solidify the arguement more that they need local talent there for fan base and the fact is that they compete well too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  The only Southland Tourney Championship included three home town kids...  And go back to BB Davis and Gulley and you got the last time they were ultra competitive and a sweet sixteen birth....  With LOCAL TALENT Lamar was at their best!

Here's a trivia question:

Where is Kenyan Spears now?

Here's a trivia question:

Where is Kenyan Spears now?

Isn't he still an assistant coach at LU?

Recruiting Willie J.????? to play where? Ashton Hall a tweener needs to improve peremiter game, be...a better at putting the ball on the floor, and has to develop a jumper!!! This kid could score a whole lot better in H.S. than WillieJ...tweener and athletic is okay, but to play at the next level kids have to have basketball skills...if a kid is just athletic, they'll always be talking about his potential, instead of his game....

Recruiting Willie J.????? to play where? Ashton Hall a tweener needs to improve peremiter game, be...a better at putting the ball on the floor, and has to develop a jumper!!! This kid could score a whole lot better in H.S. than WillieJ...tweener and athletic is okay, but to play at the next level kids have to have basketball skills...if a kid is just athletic, they'll always be talking about his potential, instead of his game....

to play bball he's not interested tho

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder