Lamar Recruiting in this area

This topic is funny. When Lamar does recruit local players, what do they do ? They weigh their options and go somewhere else. They know if all fails, they can always go back to Lamar.

Beaumont doesn't really have much to offer college students. Beaumont is farrrrr from a "college town" and besides it's not the prettiest town either. Any entertainment that Beaumont offers eventually gets yanked because people complain about money (Wildcatters for example).

Lamar does the best they can by getting players from the JUCO that want to play Basketball. If I were recruiting I would be doing the same thing. I would talk to the best local players but I would be looking outside of Beaumont to get players.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This topic is funny. When Lamar does recruit local players, what do they do ? They weigh their options and go somewhere else. They know if all fails, they can always go back to Lamar.

Beaumont doesn't really have much to offer college students. Beaumont is farrrrr from a "college town" and besides it's not the prettiest town either. Any entertainment that Beaumont offers eventually gets yanked because people complain about money (Wildcatters for example).

Lamar does the best they can by getting players from the JUCO that want to play Basketball. If I were recruiting I would be doing the same thing. I would talk to the best local players but I would be looking outside of Beaumont to get players.

Dang, finally someone with some common sense on the subject. Back in BB Davis days, recruiting was much easier.  Now, kids have to shiw some sort of academic progress along with bball skills.

The Kemps, Pelphreys, etc.etc. DO NOT  play at Lamar.  I think the point being made is that if you look at the LU rosters over recent years, there are a number of players (not from this area) who also are not the Kemps, Pelphreys, etc.etc.  When SFA was pursuing Donahoe, the SFA coach told the HJ staff that Donahoe was better (at the time he was being pursued)that he was better than any guard SFA was playing.  Who was it that won the conference this year? HMMMMMMMM?

Hmmm! You had a kid from HJ back in the early 90's (?) and I think his last year LU made it to the NCAA and played  Duke (?).  Attendance didnot rise because he played at LU. But back to Donahoe. He's a good example of a player who is/was good but not for a major D-1 school, which was probably one of the problems in his case. Everybody is not a major D-1  just because you are a star at your local high school. There is nothing wrong with the LU's, SFA's, etc. to play ball and get a degree.

You are talking about Kenyan Spears and he was not the star but that was the year Lamar had the most local talent playing for them...  They had Thadeous Holden and Louis Arline both of silsbee playing...  The season wasnt like this one... Lamar got hot at to start the season, went cold and finished seventh to in the Southland then won it all...  They were led by 6'8" Landon Rowe SF...  Both Holden and Spears started and the area was there at every game...  They had some of there best years of attendance during that time...  The program was virtually new to the Southland... They had just left the SunBelt in '98...

You solidify the arguement more that they need local talent there for fan base and the fact is that they compete well too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  The only Southland Tourney Championship included three home town kids...  And go back to BB Davis and Gulley and you got the last time they were ultra competitive and a sweet sixteen birth....  With LOCAL TALENT Lamar was at their best!

Here's a trivia question:

Where is Kenyan Spears now?

Isn't he still an assistant coach at LU?

wELL at least we know how much you keep up with the local LU basketball ;D

People on here will debate ANYTHING!!  ;D...Is it Monday or not?....and that would be a debate!  :D

Of course it's Monday in THIS little section of the world. But it is still SUNDAY in some time zones and already Tuesday in others. COME ON DV. You are emarrassing yourself.  :-[

Guest DickVitale

People on here will debate ANYTHING!!  ;D...Is it Monday or not?....and that would be a debate!  :D

Of course it's Monday in THIS little section of the world. But it is still SUNDAY in some time zones and already Tuesday in others. COME ON DV. You are emarrassing yourself.  :-[

See how dumb and petty some people can be?  ::) ::)...sickening.

I started this thread just to see if anyone has been approached by Lamar.  I really wasn't looking for a debate on if there was anyone good enough to play there.

Names & School would have been fine  ;D

Lamar officials aren't dummies. They realize they can't recruit/compete against the big D-1 schools  for GOOD TALENT. The problem is that many of us don't know what GOOD TALENT is. Just because a kid scores 30 points a game in high school does not mean he can play at the next level. I remember back in the day when Lamar would recruit players and their press releases would sound like a player was all-world from his high school. But I began to wonder if the kid was all-world, then why was he signing with Lamar. I use to wonder if the player profiles were somehow "doctored up" to present a rosier pix of the player (s).

Guest DickVitale

I started this thread just to see if anyone has been approached by Lamar.  I really wasn't looking for a debate on if there was anyone good enough to play there.

Lamar officials aren't dummies. They realize they can't recruit/compete against the big D-1 schools  for GOOD TALENT. The problem is that many of us don't know what GOOD TALENT is. Just because a kid scores 30 points a game in high school does not mean he can play at the next level. I remember back in the day when Lamar would recruit players and their press releases would sound like a player was all-world from his high school. But I began to wonder if the kid was all-world, then why was he signing with Lamar. I use to wonder if the player profiles were somehow "doctored up" to present a rosier pix of the player (s).

My dad always says "you can't hide the sun". This is true in this instance because no matter how they try to paint the pic of a recruit, he will be what he will be..good or bad...Lamar CAN recruit any type of player...Its about selling a kid on being a key player on a SLC team or just another guy in uniform at a Big 12, SEC, ACC or Big Ten school , etc.  Roc is very capable of doing that too...Kids just have to buy into what is best for THEM and not their egos...("I am going to sign with a BIG XII school")..Lamar has great facilities, money in the budget, and is in a decent conference...It is not the SWAC, for God sake!!  :D...It is VERY difficult to get a top tier kid at one of those schools....TRUST ME, I KNOW FIRST HAND!! ;)...Heck, I used to try to sell the recruits on the woman to man ratio where I was!! ;D ;D ;D...I landed a few, even stole one from Baylor, but it was NOT EASY! ;)

Harrison Smith still has not touched the floor at UT and he avearged 35 points per game at Houston Jones.  The thing is that you don't know what a player has on the next level... We are NOT recruiters and we MAY not know...  I have seen kids leave here and play JunCo and have enough success to get a D1 deal and perform well at the colleges i.e., Trey McDowel and Clearence Mathews...  What I am saying is offer those kids an opportunity before letting them go to JunCo's and then get their production at Lamar!!!  I am saying this because the bulk of the players that come to Lamar come out of JunCo!!!!!!

My dad always says "you can't hide the sun". This is true in this instance because no matter how they try to paint the pic of a recruit, he will be what he will be..good or bad...Lamar CAN recruit any type of player...Its about selling a kid on being a key player on a SLC team or just another guy in uniform at a Big 12, SEC, ACC or Big Ten school , etc.  Roc is very capable of doing that too...Kids just have to buy into what is best for THEM and not their egos...("I am going to sign with a BIG XII school")..Lamar has great facilities, money in the budget, and is in a decent conference...It is not the SWAC, for God sake!!  :D...It is VERY difficult to get a top tier kid at one of those schools....TRUST ME, I KNOW FIRST HAND!! ;)...Heck, I used to try to sell the recruits on the woman to man ratio where I was!! ;D ;D ;D...I landed a few, even stole one from Baylor, but it was NOT EASY! ;)

I think Lamar offers an attractive deal for those kids that will not start for a big conference... Roc did it at Memphis so he can do it here...  Another thing is that over the past five years the best teams in this conference have been getting alot of attantion... especially after the NCAA tourny upset...  ALL kids go to college now so the talent has to go somewhere now that Kevin Durants and Beasleys don't go straight to the NBA!

Guest DickVitale

Billy Gillespie knows exactly the TYPE of players that will fit HIS scheme of things and recruit accordingly, which is smart...Thus when he arrived at Kentucky, they struggled early and improved as the season progressed...Billy Clyde will have the Wildcats rolling sooner than later, trust me.. ;)

Guest DickVitale

I think that they knew he was pretty much locked in to Northwestern State, since his brother played there...Sometimes you just chalk it up to family ties!!  ;)

Why Didn't Lamar Recruit Keithan Hancock from Kountze He is Lights out from 3pt range.. and Could of put lamar over the Top this year.

I heard his name on the news last night, he plays for one of the teams that Lamar would have played if they would have kept winning right?

Guest abovetherim

Northwestern State but yes I know for a fact Lamar attempted to recruit him. I've met his family several times and they all love athletics. Yes, two of his brothers played at NW State and one is or was on the coaching staff. His aunt is a HS volleyball coach. Yes, Coach Roc still tried to recruit him to play at Lamar.

Coaches are human....if they think a kid can help them, they recruit them...if not they don't..it's simple..the fans think certain players are good enough to play at Lamar, but L.U. coaches may differ...these coaches see an awful lot of players in the summer, different levels for different players.

For example...L.U. gets A. Hall, he thought he wanted to go outside the state, did not work out, came home...Some kids make that mistake, good for the kid he recognized it early..Some kids look for the college that fits them, if they are a post player, does that particular school really need a post player..

The kid at LCM went to SMU, little playing time, would get alot of P.T. here at Lamar the next two years, 6'8 has lost weight and can play...he's in Dallas..What about K. Young, if he stays he would hav been a huge success at L.U., but was just that at BYU..The kid at Vidor, goes to a D2, L.U. does not recruit him, his team comes back to Lamar and beats them the next year....the best player to get away from here recently was the kid at Central. Mathews had serious potential and reached it in college...Kid was a warrior.... best inside, besides Perk, since Omar... played like Omar..U never know!!!

Coaches are human....if they think a kid can help them, they recruit them...if not they don't..it's simple..the fans think certain players are good enough to play at Lamar, but L.U. coaches may differ...these coaches see an awful lot of players in the summer, different levels for different players.

For example...L.U. gets A. Hall, he thought he wanted to go outside the state, did not work out, came home...Some kids make that mistake, good for the kid he recognized it early..Some kids look for the college that fits them, if they are a post player, does that particular school really need a post player..

The kid at LCM went to SMU, little playing time, would get alot of P.T. here at Lamar the next two years, 6'8 has lost weight and can play...he's in Dallas..What about K. Young, if he stays he would hav been a huge success at L.U., but was just that at BYU..The kid at Vidor, goes to a D2, L.U. does not recruit him, his team comes back to Lamar and beats them the next year....the best player to get away from here recently was the kid at Central. Mathews had serious potential and reached it in college...Kid was a warrior.... best inside, besides Perk, since Omar... played like Omar..U never know!!!

That is real talk Teamfirst... Mathews did really well at Tennessee State and was on the verge of a Pro career but his height caused some concerns being only 6'7" at a small college.  John Mertz from LCM came back to Lamar but couldn't crack the starting line up....  I have noticed a number of kids that comeback and tryout after all is said and done but Lamar needs to sell that campus and all that growth to these area kids...  Over a four year period Lamar could pick on or two Jewels and work on them... Kids they recruit from Sophmores.....  Too many of our kids leave the area and have decent college careers elsewhere...  Edward Garrett, McNeese; Skip Jackson, Texas State; Hancocks (3), NWS, all wound up at other Southland Cnference Schools...  They could have been good for Lamar and the AREA

That is real talk Teamfirst... Mathews did really well at Tennessee State and was on the verge of a Pro career but his height caused some concerns being only 6'7" at a small college.  John Mertz from LCM came back to Lamar but couldn't crack the starting line up....  I have noticed a number of kids that comeback and tryout after all is said and done but Lamar needs to sell that campus and all that growth to these area kids...  Over a four year period Lamar could pick on or two Jewels and work on them... Kids they recruit from Sophmores.....  Too many of our kids leave the area and have decent college careers elsewhere...  Edward Garrett, McNeese; Skip Jackson, Texas State; Hancocks (3), NWS, all wound up at other Southland Cnference Schools...  They could have been good for Lamar and the AREA

dID THESE KIDS APPLY AT lAMAR? Did LU ACTIVELY RECRUIT THEM? Lu wanted Donoho (sp?), but the kid wasn't interested at the time. C'mon now, like most kids, they are wanting to play at the big named schools. And I'm talking about the super-athlete. If for example D. Frank maintain good grades and scores, there is no way he will look at playing at Lamar. Thats reality. Now if you are talking about the kid in high school who had decent skills, then thats another story.

Guest stevenash

While it appeared that Lamar wanted Donahoe, a GENUINE OFFER was never made to him.  He still has 4 years of eligibility left and if he has a decent year next year, I still think he would be an asset at Lamar.

D. Frank is a really good player for this area, no doubt he can play at the next level...But if he does not grow, size may hurt him, again, this is a big country, players everywhere, especially 5'10 and above...The Dawkins kid can really play at the Lamar level. Lamar may be a great fit for him in 2 years, sure , who wouldn't want to play at A BIG TIME D1....  but it is about the right fit, suiting up is one thing and contributing is another, and being a go to type player is a huge step at the next level..Of all the good players in our area, the other thread only has a few who went and got it done at the college level, takes an awful lot of work and kids these days don't put in that kind of time anymore!!!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder