Lamar Recruiting in this area

Guest DickVitale

Man, If Decarlos Franks stays the same size he is right now, today (which he wont) he will STILL be able to go anywhere that he wants based on his ability..He is that good. He is 6'2 and a little light in the shorts, but he will put on weight with age..He may grow to be around 6'4 or 6'5..Now you are talking NEXT next level with his skill level....I do agree with you that not many of the area kids will be able to go and actually PLAY major college ball. Mid majors should LIVE in SE Texas recruiting...LIVE...These kids should be realistic with themselves and stop waiting on Duke or UNC, and jump on the Lamar's and SFA's of the world, so that they have a chance to play and graduate.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DickVitale

Tremain Thomas is a football player that plays basketball...College coaches know the difference...Tremain is an outstanding athlete...yet he is a football player. He will play high major d-1, in FOOTBALL...Could he play basketball in college?...Yes, at certain places..Not everywhere...He could play in the Southland conference, but not in the SEC..And that is only if he were basketball ONLY...He would not be able to do both (or basketball) at a high major school...Yes, Decarlos will be able to go wherever he wants, providing he keeps his academics in tact...HE is a basketball player...Tremain is a football player..that played HS basketball as well. Vince Young was the EXACT same way, except he was BIGGER and MORE athletic than Tremain, and was not going to play basketball at Texas...AND he played at Madison (5A). Vince was a football player..So is Tremain.

While it appeared that Lamar wanted Donahoe, a GENUINE OFFER was never made to him.  He still has 4 years of eligibility left and if he has a decent year next year, I still think he would be an asset at Lamar.

Hmm?  I seem to remember that the offer came later after no serious bites from the major D-1 schools came through.  A lot of these kids need to realize they are not D-1 MATERIAL AND STOP LISTENING TO bad advice from their advisors..........................

Guest DickVitale

Advisors? These are no advisors, usually its dad and/or mom pumping their heads up with false expectations..Or some darn AAU summer coach.. >:(

Guest tigersvoice

Tremain Thomas is a football player that plays basketball...College coaches know the difference...Tremain is an outstanding athlete...yet he is a football player. He will play high major d-1, in FOOTBALL...Could he play basketball in college?...Yes, at certain places..Not everywhere...He could play in the Southland conference, but not in the SEC..And that is only if he were basketball ONLY...He would not be able to do both (or basketball) at a high major school...Yes, Decarlos will be able to go wherever he wants, providing he keeps his academics in tact...HE is a basketball player...Tremain is a football player..that played HS basketball as well. Vince Young was the EXACT same way, except he was BIGGER and MORE athletic than Tremain, and was not going to play basketball at Texas...AND he played at Madison (5A). Vince was a football player..So is Tremain.

DickieV - don't get to thinkin' I love ya', but this is a Great analysis. :o

D. Frank is a really good player for this area, no doubt he can play at the next level...But if he does not grow, size may hurt him, again, this is a big country, players everywhere, especially 5'10 and above...The Dawkins kid can really play at the Lamar level. Lamar may be a great fit for him in 2 years, sure , who wouldn't want to play at A BIG TIME D1....  but it is about the right fit, suiting up is one thing and contributing is another, and being a go to type player is a huge step at the next level..Of all the good players in our area, the other thread only has a few who went and got it done at the college level, takes an awful lot of work and kids these days don't put in that kind of time anymore!!!

Lamar would be a good fit for any true baller. D. Frank is the real deal and I usually don't give props unless it's the real deal. Frank played in the Ice Breaker in Houston. Dickie, have you heard any pros or cons about the Ice Breaker this past weekend?  The kid is definitely getting exposure outside the Bmt. market.

Guest DickVitale

Trust when I tell you that after that performance at North Shore vs. Lamar Consolidated, the city of Houston took notice! The Ice Breaker is a pretty good event..I dont have a problem with it, but a kid like Decarlos does not NEED the Ice Breaker..It needs HIM!! Coaches hear about him, come out, and then they notice some other kid that they would have never noticed otherwise...It happens all of the time..Thats the good of something like that. My man, Jim Hicks, does a good job with it.

Guest nostradamus

Tramain Thomas' first sport is basketball.  He got better recruitment out of football but basketball has always been first for him.  Football became equally important by his last two years of high school but that was because of the attention he started to get.  TT is skilled enough to step in and play at the mid-major level.  His problem is that he is a classic "tweener".......reminds me a lot of Clayton Allen from Buna.

? franks is a decent GOOd high school level gaurd .but lets keep it in perspective all u have to do to gaurd him is keep a hand up in his face bump him and it normally will have him rattled then u'll see players try to calm him down .the performance u guys keep refering  2 lamar con. they were a shooting team that never got out on him .next year i fuuly expect 4 those flaws that u guys somehow don't c like 10 turn over games tobe exposed suspect handle that is actually palming violation and that 1 crossover. LIke i said those r shots he always takes big dif they went in. next year ozen won't have the player to stretch the defence or punish inside .exposing him to be what he is a high volume streak shooter oh and if he dosen't go prep that senior yr will be a melt down ;)

Man, If Decarlos Franks stays the same size he is right now, today (which he wont) he will STILL be able to go anywhere that he wants based on his ability..He is that good. He is 6'2 and a little light in the shorts, but he will put on weight with age..He may grow to be around 6'4 or 6'5..Now you are talking NEXT next level with his skill level....I do agree with you that not many of the area kids will be able to go and actually PLAY major college ball. Mid majors should LIVE in SE Texas recruiting...LIVE...These kids should be realistic with themselves and stop waiting on Duke or UNC, and jump on the Lamar's and SFA's of the world, so that they have a chance to play and graduate.

I predict D. Frank has hit his growth spurt ;D

Guest nostradamus
how is he a tweener he is plenty big to play the point at the next level

First, do not take this as a knock to TT at all because he is one of the best this area has seen and for all of his athletic talent he is an even better person.

However, he is a tweener in that he is big enough to play PG but, is not a true PG and could not play it at the next level

he is smallish for a SG and not prolific enough of a 3 point shooter to play SG at the next level

? franks is a decent GOOd high school level gaurd .but lets keep it in perspective all u have to do to gaurd him is keep a hand up in his face bump him and it normally will have him rattled then u'll see players try to calm him down .the performance u guys keep refering  2 lamar con. they were a shooting team that never got out on him .next year i fuuly expect 4 those flaws that u guys somehow don't c like 10 turn over games tobe exposed suspect handle that is actually palming violation and that 1 crossover. LIke i said those r shots he always takes big dif they went in. next year ozen won't have the player to stretch the defence or punish inside .exposing him to be what he is a high volume streak shooter oh and if he dosen't go prep that senior yr will be a melt down ;)

The jury is still out on D.Frank. I've never been impressed with any of Ozen's guards. I think most of them have been good high school players in a system that hides their flaws.Their weaknesses are especially exploited during playoff time....hehehehe!The Brain has a point. All you have to do is get in his face and he can't deal emotially with the pressures of  the bump and hit defense :) 

Guest DickVitale

Obviously you two have no clue about basketball or how to evaluate talent...Decarlos is CLEARLY the area's best player for next season, and you two are knocking him...wow...Tell you what..I will put up a poll to show you that you have no idea what you are saying..wow....Have you guys WATCHED him play? Couldnt have.. ::)

Obviously you two have no clue about basketball or how to evaluate talent...Decarlos is CLEARLY the area's best player for next season, and you two are knocking him...wow...Tell you what..I will put up a poll to show you that you have no idea what you are saying..wow....Have you guys WATCHED him play? Couldnt have.. ::)

I would have to agree with you Dickie... He had some down games but that had alot to do with youth and the system he was in...  When it all comes down to it the system really doesn't allow for a thirty point a game kid...  Boutte is methodical in his approach, team oriented, and very defensive minded...  So I say he was the best I saw in the area...  Only Tommy-Mason Griffin looked better and I wathed HJ and Oakhill and Yates and Duncanville and Nacross and North Crowely and St. Patrck and St. Anthony...  So I am confortable to say he was in the top 10 players I saw this summer...  He even looked just a hair behind Brandon Jennings and he was the top player of 2008 class!!!!

I didn't say d frank wouldn't be the best next year . but trust me my evaluation of him is dead on remember central game 10 to's thats all i pointed out they won't be the same team next year won't have as good of players around him leaving him unnoticed for the quick out burst of scoring play d fence he's average it been proven over and over .youth noone is really mature enough to play in ozen's system till u graduate and understand and of course talk to the coach afterall hindsight is 20/20. they're loosing  Moten ,DQ johnson, Quitin ,D Savoy,and Joseph maybe more those payers made it more run and gun anyone could bring the ball up o ffence next yr it'l be slow down less ball handlers keeping the ball in franks hands more leading to more to's that y dq johnson was inserted into starting lineup rather than joseph being moved from 3 to 4 unless u would have played johnson or frank in the post  ;D

Dickie, I was taught basketball by one of the best (your dad). D. Frank is good. I'm just a little bias against Ozen and it's history with their guard play. I think Frank and the Ozen system does Frank no justice. Anybody can play in that system, but I think Frank is like a race horse. The boy will shine when you take him out to run and create for himself.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Ryzxed
    Newest Member
    Ryzxed