*Ozen vs. Lamar Consolidated Playoff/Ozen Advances 60-58/Comments*

KFDM COOP

I completely agree but i think breon is better for ozen than lopez would be

Please!... Donte show his skill in a head to head match-up without a coach and almost came out on top...!  Breon makes less mistakes on the court because Boutte runs an offensive scheme.  WB's coach never calls a play or run a scheme... Those kids just play with no guidance at all...  Breon is not closeto the skill level of Lopez!

ozen does run a system that doesn't allow 4 1 on 1 match up its easier to play w/o a system in play thanks for proving my point

Your basketball knowledge is very minimal...  Playing without a system is not easy...  One on one play does not exist...  Its usually one one two.. three.. or four...  If a team allows you to beat them on one on one play then that coach is stupid...  Have you ever heard the term "help side defense" ??? 

here is where it is the same: # 1 If Breon breaks down a player off the dribble and gets into the lane and its open he will score the basket.  So does Lopez! # 2 Breon teammates open the lane for him by being in the right position... Lopez's teamates are running the court aimlessly!

Here is the difference:  # 1 If Breon gets into the lane and the defense collapses like its suppose to then he will dish to a player that is in the specified position for that play...  Lopez doesn't have that so he has to guess where his teammate will be.  # 2  With no scheme to run in the final seconds of a close game the kids have to guess how to create a shot... With a scheme the kids the coach will put the kids in a position to have a good shot...

Yes I proved your point... I proved that it was wrong!

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to roll with Shorttexas on this one as far as Lopez being better than Johnson.  But I'm not going to say it's not close, because it is.  Lopez is just the better player, better at defense, and scoring baskets.  Johnson plays smart and doesn't turn the ball over much.  If I was to pick my floor general, it would be Lopez.  Although both of these kids are nice.

so your telling me playing dribble drive fast break basketball is harder than what ozen does . u said head to head match up i said ozen system doesnt allow everyone to use complete skill set . better your basketball iq is sub par

Fast break ball doesn't work at all times...  The game is not all fast breaks boy!! There is a half court and any have decent team with a decent coach would not allow a fats break team to play to that stregnth.  That is why Ozen is still in the playoffs and WB is not...  Coaching, game plan, and scheme matters... That is why Brook has not gone deep in the play-offs even when all the talent was there... 

Guest DickVitale

This will end this one....BEFORE Ozen opened, where were the kids going? WESTBROOK....OK, they had players such as Luke Jackson, Omar Sneed, Paris Corner, Golden Corner, Jeremy Long, Trey McDowell, Clyde McCully, etc, etc. Never made it out of the region..Ozen opens..4 years later a title is FINALLY brought back to Beaumont...I say the talent has ALWAYS been in Beaumont..PROGRAM makes a difference...How many MORE state titles would Ozen have if it would have opened in say.....1990? It would have been a dogfight between them and Lincoln, but with ALL THAT TALENT that COULD have been at Ozen? It would have been...sick...That is talent WITH a quality coach...just sick..My point is, Lopez to Ozen would mean a totally new outcome for BOTH programs, starting 4 years ago...Breon is good, dont get me wrong, but having Lopez would have been just sick...really.

i felt breon game was better fit for ozen with the players around him that true wb out off playoffs because off lack system and depth. i simply stated fast break basketball is easier than slowing the tempo down and picking where the ball should go .both are good players

I agree with both players being very skilled but I promise you Lopez would be real effective in a system...  Fast break ball is much tougher because once the break is stopped the offense goes stagnant... This usually leads to turn overs of contested shoots.  It is much easier to play where you know where the ball is going to be, there is instruction on how to create a good shot, you know where is your spot on the couurt so two or more players won't be in the same place at the same time, and you know the gaps that that scheme is supposed to create.

Fast break ball is difficult because the game is not all fast breaks...  Even there is a scheme on how to run a fast break correctly to create the best shott and still not leave yourself open in transition...  This is a team sport that is strongly based on coaching... A good coach can turn an averager kid into a good player and turn a good player into a great!!!!

This will end this one....BEFORE Ozen opened, where were the kids going? WESTBROOK....OK, they had players such as Luke Jackson, Omar Sneed, Paris Corner, Golden Corner, Jeremy Long, Trey McDowell, Clyde McCully, etc, etc. Never made it out of the region..Ozen opens..4 years later a title is FINALLY brought back to Beaumont...I say the talent has ALWAYS been in Beaumont..PROGRAM makes a difference...How many MORE state titles would Ozen have if it would have opened in say.....1990? It would have been a dogfight between them and Lincoln, but with ALL THAT TALENT that COULD have been at Ozen? It would have been...sick...That is talent WITH a quality coach...just sick..My point is, Lopez to Ozen would mean a totally new outcome for BOTH programs, starting 4 years ago...Breon is good, dont get me wrong, but having Lopez would have been just sick...really.

I would not say before Ozen oppenned, I would say before we got a coach like Boutte in the area!!!!

There has been some big time talent in this area without the results over the past 20 yrs...  Lets talk Damion Sweets, Parish and Golden Coners.

I remember the talent on Westbrook and Central in 96...  WB had two 6'9" players in the post, had Omars lil ZBrother at the three with parish and Jarvis at the guards...  Central had 7' Walt, John Ruffin and keith Carbon with decent atheletic guards...  The Wb should have won state that year!

Guest DickVitale

Well yeah...Thats what I meant! :D...Beaumont has had SOOOO many good teams and players...My senior year when us and Central were #1 and #2 in the state, Central lost in the FIRST ROUND..and only TWO teams got in back then, so that was truly Bi-district...They were STACKED that year! Westbrook has had the SAME type of talent..They made it to regionals a few times in Houston (UH's Hofeinz Pavillion) but never made it out..Boutte used to always say that the only job that he would leave Lincoln for at the HS level was if they opened Hebert back up...That's why he jumped on it when he got the call..He KNEW what was in Beaumont, and what could be done... ;)

Well yeah...Thats what I meant! :D...Beaumont has had SOOOO many good teams and players...My senior year when us and Central were #1 and #2 in the state, Central lost in the FIRST ROUND..and only TWO teams got in back then, so that was truly Bi-district...They were STACKED that year! Westbrook has had the SAME type of talent..They made it to regionals a few times in Houston (UH's Hofeinz Pavillion) but never made it out..Boutte used to always say that the only job that he would leave Lincoln for at the HS level was if they opened Hebert back up...That's why he jumped on it when he got the call..He KNEW what was in Beaumont, and what could be done... ;)

Sheez! I really have to agree with your statements. There is a wealth of talent in Beaumont and the surrounding areas. I actually brag on the Beaumont talent (gee I hate to admit this to yall southeast texans) whenever I get the chance during AAU tournaments when we compare talent. Hmmm? I'm thinking about erasing this post or editing it before I click "Post."

Any given day, you can go over to Melton Y and see the JV talent from Ozen playing.

Wait fellas, you forgot a few things..Westbrook did have very good players when Ozen was not open, but....there is a big difference between playoff compettion in 4a vs that of 5a BASKETBALL....remember Ozen is not playing against the elite year in and out, maybe some years, but not every year..Those guys you named were good but as they say, "size matters" and obviously...It's tough to win the "big one" without that big first rounder.... And by the way, I would hate to see Lopez at Ozen too, since he is on track to go to the BROOK, heck challenge yourself and try to win one for the scholl you're supposed to be at...It's not to hard to get those Dist titles if all the elite players are at one place....

Guest DickVitale

The 4A vs 5A argument....OK..in MOST years 4A and 5A are pretty much DEAD Even as far as TEAM talent goes...Think of it this way...This year the 5A regional final four consist of Madison (4th place team), Dulles (3rd place team), Chavez (3rd place team) and Hightower (2nd place team)...Replace Ozen or Yates with any of those teams and EITHER one would come away with the regional trophy this year..Guaranteed...Can you argue with that?  In 2002, Dallas Lincoln could have won 6A (if there were one) in Texas! Same with Dunbar in 2003...Fact is, there is really not much of a difference between 4 and 5A basketball competition...Luke Jackson was no midget, and Omar Sneed was a BEAST...No excuses, teamfirst..The talent has ALWAYS been in Beaumont, but not brought out until Boutte came to town...Thats a fact.

The 4A vs 5A argument....OK..in MOST years 4A and 5A are pretty much DEAD Even as far as TEAM talent goes...Think of it this way...This year the 5A regional final four consist of Madison (4th place team), Dulles (3rd place team), Chavez (3rd place team) and Hightower (2nd place team)...Replace Ozen or Yates with any of those teams and EITHER one would come away with the regional trophy this year..Guaranteed...Can you argue with that?  In 2002, Dallas Lincoln could have won 6A (if there were one) in Texas! Same with Dunbar in 2003...Fact is, there is really not much of a difference between 4 and 5A basketball competition...Luke Jackson was no midget, and Omar Sneed was a BEAST...No excuses, teamfirst..The talent has ALWAYS been in Beaumont, but not brought out until Boutte came to town...Thats a fact.

Their are more good teams in 5A but as far as the elite 4A is just as good most years...  The talent in beaumont has been good enough to do it too...  There have been class bigs in Beaumont for years...  Lately we have been missing that 6'9" or taller guy but in the '90s there were two or three at both schools that could really play!

What you all don't understand is that Beaumont went through a down period of attention during the late 80's through the 90's.  Like it was forgotten that there was talent here.  We had no AAU team for exposure and we could not get out of the first two rounds of the Playoffs for lack of coaching...  Green started the change by putting Central in the regional tournement three years in a row and actually making it to state... Boutte finished off by building a dynasty!  Skip and Douby at Central were not even the best players in Beaumont that year and here near the best in the decade!!!!  But they had that X-factor of having a great coach!

What you all don't understand is that Beaumont went through a down period of attention during the late 80's through the 90's.  Like it was forgotten that there was talent here.  We had no AAU team for exposure and we could not get out of the first two rounds of the Playoffs for lack of coaching...  Green started the change by putting Central in the regional tournement three years in a row and actually making it to state... Boutte finished off by building a dynasty!  Skip and Douby at Central were not even the best players in Beaumont that year and here near the best in the decade!!!!  But they had that X-factor of having a great coach!

I say that to say this... If Central could have replaced Skip and Douby for Golden Corner and Jeremy Long we would have won state!!!!  Look Green is at Hightower and back in the regional Tournament...  Them fools at Memorial wouldn't pay him no mind but he is a winner if you buy into his system!

Will agree on that short...David Green could coach...In P.A. the well is not as deep as it once was....the citizens don't see it , but it is what it is and sometimes it happens...kids do not get in the gym like they once did, and it shows...how about 2000 when t>J. beat Lincoln in the reg. finals...those kids are gone...and look what just happened to the talent that was just over there.  Skill level plus a great attitude and work ehic go a long way!!!!

Guest DickVitale

Believe it or not, its the SAME type of Port Arthur kids as always...LINCOLN is gone, therefore that pride factor is gone with it..Back in the day you had elementary aged kids who could not WAIT to become bumblebees!  If the powers to be had kept the colors purple and gold (as Ozen did blue and gold) named the school Port Arthur High, or even James Gamble High ( as did Ozen) and kept the bee as the mascot (as Ozen did the panther) That pride would be alive and STRONG today...Instead they fought so hard around there to KILL it instead of embracing it, therefore the pride left...J'Covan would NEVER have seen Beaumont Kelly had they done things that way..Thats what happened there.  David Green was fighting an uphill battle in PA, and it was only getting worse.

Believe it or not, its the SAME type of Port Arthur kids as always...LINCOLN is gone, therefore that pride factor is gone with it..Back in the day you had elementary aged kids who could not WAIT to become bumblebees!  If the powers to be had kept the colors purple and gold (as Ozen did blue and gold) named the school Port Arthur High, or even James Gamble High ( as did Ozen) and kept the bee as the mascot (as Ozen did the panther) That pride would be alive and STRONG today...Instead they fought so hard around there to KILL it instead of embracing it, therefore the pride left...J'Covan would NEVER have seen Beaumont Kelly had they done things that way..Thats what happened there.  David Green was fighting an uphill battle in PA, and it was only getting worse.

That area was losing far too many kids for them to sustain 3-4  high schools. I don't remember all the details but I'm sure Austin, Lincoln and Jefferson were all fighting to keep their schools open.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami