New DISD grade changing allegations point at principal

DISD in more trouble? UH OH!!

New DISD grade changing allegations point at principal

08:06 AM CST on Friday, February 8, 2008

By BRETT SHIPP / WFAA-TV

DALLAS — Problems continue to mount for the Dallas Independent School District as new allegations of improper grade changing once again point at high school administrators.

In this new case, the accusations come from a Skyline High School teacher, who says he too was retaliated against after trying to speak out.

John Stine says over the last eight months he has had a strange daily routine. He walks into work, signs in and then walks out to head home. He has no kids, no classes and gets full pay.

Stine said this all began after he was kicked out of his classroom by his principal last year. Ever since, he said he has been paid not to come back.

"It ruins you," he said. "I'm there to teach kids."

In the fall of 2006, Stine was a first-year teacher. He was a business professional turned educator that was hired by Skyline to prepare students for the world of media production. Admittedly, he said his expectations and standards were high.

"And I told the students, if you do the work, you will pass," he said. "The students who refused to do the work or any of the assignments failed."

In his first grading period, the vast majority of his students did do the work. For example, in his first period class, only four students failed.

But then Stine said he was approached by administrators. He said they told him he was being too tough on his kids, specifically his athletes.

A few weeks later, he said he learned that the associate principal, Ward English, had slashed through any grade 72 or below and round it up to 75.

According to the Texas Education Code, "a course grade issued by a classroom teacher is final and may not be changed unless the grade is arbitrary, erroneous or inconsistent with the District's grading policy." The grade change must also be reflected on an official grade change form.

"Mr. English should be able to come up with that grade change form that I signed if I agreed to it. Stine said. "I would like to see that grade change form."

In a written response, English said he did not fill out a grade change form "as a matter of expediency," and that Stine was "in agreement that the grades should be changed".

Stine said the improper grade change undermined his authority over his students; and when he filed a complaint, he was removed from his classroom. Now, he said he is being paid to stay away.

Stine is just the latest teacher to allege grade change abuse made by a principal. The first accusation arose at South Oak Cliff High School. And more recent accusations were made at Roosevelt High School.

In all three cases, DISD officials said they are investigating. However, in all three cases, no principal has been disciplined.

Stine said until that happens, the only pay off for speaking out that he has seen is payback.

"One of the reasons why teachers don't stand up for what's right at DISD is when you do, you get retaliated against like you do with me," he said.

Guest DickVitale

:o :o...This guy was an idiot!! He was getting paid to sign in and go home, and TOLD?? ;D ;D ;D ;D

I guess since Wilmer-Hutchins ISD is now defunct and gone, the Dallas media has found DISD to pick on now!! North Forest ISD is too far away for them to get!! :D...It is definitely a MESS up there.

Guest DickVitale

seems to me he is no idiot he is honest the two are often confused

The BIG SMILEY FACE  i.e THIS THING-;D...., indicates that I was only being SARCASTIC...I do understand what he did, and why he did it...some people... ::) ::)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder