***********IT PASSES, FOOTBALL IS COMING!!!!!!!****************

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, Lamar needs to move now to secure pledges. I told you guys I would tell you about things I know about pledges but out of respect of Dr Simmons, Coach Tubbs and the administration I hope you guys will give me until after the TSUS gives their approval.

That said, I've been told they already have a (ballpark figure) on pledges and the figure I have a document of has a figure in the 8 digits.

So Kerry, my long answer to your question is no.

Lets hope that it is a lot more than just barely 8 figures if you know what I mean.  Lets hope it is at least 2 times just barely 8 figures.

Well lets do the math.

8 figures donors + TSUS 8 figures = +$20 Million

Guest coachacola

What money can TSUS give Lamar?  No tax money is allowed to go towards athletics.  I did hear Tubbs or Simmons say they can issue bonds to build facilities and then Lamar would pay that back over time with part of the new athletic fee.  Is that what you mean by TSUS money? Lamar does have about $15 M in facility upgrades approved by the TSUS board of regents.  Would a lot of that be done with bonds, with the rest coming from private donations?

Guest abovetherim

Coachacola, I said UNLV was getting warm. I didn't say he was right. You know your stuff. Not one dollar from the state can go to funding college athletics. It's a state law.

It's about changing the perception of Lamar around the state and country.

If we are looking to restoring football to change our perception, we are in pretty sad shape.....

Look folks, I am not against football, I am against doing it on the backs on the student body with an additional tuition "fee."

If we really want football, let those who want it, pay for it, not the kids, most of whom are working to put their way through college, or they are dependent upon Mom and Dad for tuition, many of which who are working to put their kids through school.

Oh puhlease...with a puuuuuuh.

We are talking less than $40 a month during school months , $9 a week, or $1.15 a day. How much is a big mac meal?

I'll tell you what, that is another $1200-1300 to add to tuition over 4 years, and trust me, tuition prices have shot up like mad over the last 10 years, I know, I have been writing the dang-gum checks. To me, $1200 ain't small potatoes. Maybe YOU can afford it, it is to the point if you have 3-4-5 kids, you just can't afford a college education. And do not preach to me about not having kids, that's really none of your business. Am I tight with a dollar? Yes, I am. I can't see spending $1200 for a GAME.

BTW: That same $40 a month could get me an improved health insurance policy at my work. That $40 a month would sure help at Christmas, that $40 would let me take my wife out to a nice restaurant and a movie.

It's about changing the perception of Lamar around the state and country.

If we are looking to restoring football to change our perception, we are in pretty sad shape.....

Look folks, I am not against football, I am against doing it on the backs on the student body with an additional tuition "fee."

If we really want football, let those who want it, pay for it, not the kids, most of whom are working to put their way through college, or they are dependent upon Mom and Dad for tuition, many of which who are working to put their kids through school.

Oh puhlease...with a puuuuuuh.

We are talking less than $40 a month during school months , $9 a week, or $1.15 a day. How much is a big mac meal?

I'll tell you what, that is another $1200-1300 to add to tuition over 4 years, and trust me, tuition prices have shot up like mad over the last 10 years, I know, I have been writing the dang-gum checks. To me, $1200 ain't small potatoes. Maybe YOU can afford it, it is to the point if you have 3-4-5 kids, you just can't afford a college education. And do not preach to me about not having kids, that's really none of your business. Am I tight with a dollar? Yes, I am. I can't see spending $1200 for a GAME.

BTW: That same $40 a month could get me an improved health insurance policy at my work. That $40 a month would sure help at Christmas, that $40 would let me take my wife out to a nice restaurant and a movie.

I never said anything about your kids so don't tell lies. If the vote had failed, you would insist on us respecting the majority opinion.

Please do the same for us. Sucking the air out of this forum won't change the vote.

What money can TSUS give Lamar?  No tax money is allowed to go towards athletics.  I did hear Tubbs or Simmons say they can issue bonds to build facilities and then Lamar would pay that back over time with part of the new athletic fee.  Is that what you mean by TSUS money? Lamar does have about $15 M in facility upgrades approved by the TSUS board of regents.  Would a lot of that be done with bonds, with the rest coming from private donations?

When I said 8 figure TSUS, I meant the money already approved.

Guest abovetherim

This is my last statement regarding the price the students willing to vote agreed to pay. I didn't bother posting all my relatives who retired from Lamar, taught at Lamar or graduated from Lamar. For one, most of the guys posting on here already know about my family ties to Lamar. I will mention by two nephews who are attending Lamar currently. Those guys and their friends spend easily a $100 dollars a weekend on alcohol/parties, going to bars and such. Now, they are old enough that is not my place to tell them how to spend their money or how to live their lives. My brother is a Executive Pastor at the largest church and private school in Orange County. He would have a problem with it.

Having stated the above information, my two nephews voted yes on the referendum. If I think they are intelligent enough to make a proper decisions of how to spend their money, live their lives, who they should date. Is it my place to tell them they are wrong for wanting to vote for a return of football? I think not and obviously they were not alone as 1300 other students felt strongly enough to vote the same way.  

I would like to nominate a few coaches to take the reins, Coach Hooks or Coach Thompson, who better to recruit local talent?

Coach Hooks.......come on man. You cant think of someone a little better. Perhaps a little younger that has the want and energy to rebuild a program from the ground up.

If they went the HS way I couldnt think of anyone better than Hooks or Thompson!!!!  I'll throw another local boy out there--- R.C. Slocum

I listened to Dr. Simmons a few weeks back on KLVI.  He said that the year after football was dropped, so did enrollment at LU......by 2,000 students.  That resulted in a $12,000,000.00 drop in academic funding from the state of Texas.  This is not money that would go to the athletic department.  It hurt every student at Lamar.    Now we didn't have 2,000 football players that moved away, but you must include a world-class marching band that marched 350 (largest in the nation!) back in the 70's,  Pep squad, and cheerleaders plus many students that wanted that "atmosphere" provided in the fall by a football program.  The atmosphere and leadership at Lamar 20 years ago is very different from 2008.  Dr. Simmons has put together a fantastic group of leaders who have methodically given Lamar a physical and psychological "facelift".  By the way, Dr. Jimmy Simmons was the director of that superb marching band so he has a vested interest as the new band will not only attract new students but many new music majors as well. Count me as one that will be in the first line to buy season-tickets.  Go LU!! ;D 

P.S. - if you are an old-time Lamar grad like myself,  you owe it to yourself to go to the campus and see the amazing change that has taken place.  It is impressive!

Guest Demons Co-owner

I would like to nominate a few coaches to take the reins, Coach Hooks or Coach Thompson, who better to recruit local talent?

Coach Hooks.......come on man. You cant think of someone a little better. Perhaps a little younger that has the want and energy to rebuild a program from the ground up.

If they went the HS way I couldnt think of anyone better than Hooks or Thompson!!!!   I'll throw another local boy out there--- R.C. Slocum

R.C.  That one i would have to agree with you on, I dont like A&M but he was a damn good coach. I just dont think LU has the money to bring in a coach like that.

I think that today is a different day.  The head guy and the university will have to use marketing strategies in multiple ways in order to draw fans on Saturday's.  I think it can be done, and the program can be successful as long as the program is put out there and there is a head coach in place that will put his face out there.  There needs to be recruiting done in this area, and I think that will help.  If fans know the athletes on the field and can follow thier career, there will be more overall interest.  Also, the players will have something more to play for if they are from this area and have pride in that.  There will be growing pains, but I think Lamar can recruit solid athletes, if there is a commited coach that believes in the university. 

Barry Switzer.....Thats the name I want to hear coming out of Tubbs mouth when it comes time for hiring....We need to get ESPN and all the major sports stations reporting on it...More publicity, the more kids and parents will hear about it....Who cares if the guy stays for only the first 2 seasons as long as he's got a young guy in the wings...Hmmm...Havent we seen it already....Do I need to hint.....R.....O.....C......K......

Barry Switzer.....Thats the name I want to hear coming out of Tubbs mouth when it comes time for hiring....We need to get ESPN and all the major sports stations reporting on it...More publicity, the more kids and parents will hear about it....Who cares if the guy stays for only the first 2 seasons as long as he's got a young guy in the wings...Hmmm...Havent we seen it already....Do I need to hint.....R.....O.....C......K......

God, I hope not. It'll get the program started on a shady, cheating start.  Lamar won't be able to afford to run a professional football team.  Switzer doesn't know how to coach amateurs.  There's another name out there that will get nearly as much national attention, he's a friend of Tubbs', he's from Southeast Texas originally, and best of all he's a better coach and much more honest than Switzer.  If you want to hire a coach for the publicity, you hire R.C. Slocum, he's got 80% of the notoriety, with none of the baggage.

We would all agree Jimmy Johnson wouold be the best coach. Ofcourse Port Arthur would go shooting free for the

rest of the year before that happens.

I like Switzer as coach with a young hungry assistant waiting to take over after 3-4 years.

RC Slocum would be my second choice.

Sam Houston st assistant would be my third. 00020148.gif

We would all agree Jimmy Johnson wouold be the best coach. Ofcourse Port Arthur would go shooting free for the

rest of the year before that happens.

I like Switzer as coach with a young hungry assistant waiting to take over after 3-4 years.

RC Slocum would be my second choice.

Sam Houston st assistant would be my third. 00020148.gif

Switzer????  Are you kidding???  Get a reality check.  First of all, if he wanted to coach somewhere he would be coaching...and it wouldn't be at a startup 1-AA program.

Second of all, why in the world would you want him???  He's a first class a-hole and cheat.

I listened to Dr. Simmons a few weeks back on KLVI.  He said that the year after football was dropped, so did enrollment at LU......by 2,000 students.  That resulted in a $12,000,000.00 drop in academic funding from the state of Texas.  This is not money that would go to the athletic department.  It hurt every student at Lamar.    Now we didn't have 2,000 football players that moved away, but you must include a world-class marching band that marched 350 (largest in the nation!) back in the 70's,  Pep squad, and cheerleaders plus many students that wanted that "atmosphere" provided in the fall by a football program.  The atmosphere and leadership at Lamar 20 years ago is very different from 2008.  Dr. Simmons has put together a fantastic group of leaders who have methodically given Lamar a physical and psychological "facelift".  By the way, Dr. Jimmy Simmons was the director of that superb marching band so he has a vested interest as the new band will not only attract new students but many new music majors as well. Count me as one that will be in the first line to buy season-tickets.  Go LU!! ;D 

P.S. - if you are an old-time Lamar grad like myself,  you owe it to yourself to go to the campus and see the amazing change that has taken place.  It is impressive!

Please don't distort this discussion with facts and reason.  Let's just focus on pure emotion and how it will 'cost' a student $100 a semester (at what is probably already the least expensive tuition in the state).  Let's not focus on the fact that it is good for the long term success of the university and the area...no, that makes too much sense.  ;D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder