***********IT PASSES, FOOTBALL IS COMING!!!!!!!****************

Like I have said, another joke just like the Wildcatters....Money wasted...... ::)

It's football man!

Yes, I remember the 70s and 80s and the empty seats at Lamar. By 2012, the seats will be empty once again....

You are an idiot.

Who cares if the stands are full.  It's not about having the stands full.  (Of course, the reason the stands aren't full is because of people like you.)

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like I have said, another joke just like the Wildcatters....Money wasted...... ::)

It's football man!

Yes, I remember the 70s and 80s and the empty seats at Lamar. By 2012, the seats will be empty once again....

You are an idiot.

Who cares if the stands are full.  It's not about having the stands full.  (Of course, the reason the stands aren't full is because of people like you.)

I want to thank you for calling me an idiot.

That shows where you come from, your education, your background.......

Empty stands= A loss of money, something today's economy needs.

Guest abovetherim

Agree, let's not get into name calling. This thread will be locked, post pulled, we don't need that. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but let's not make it personal. Please!!!!

The student referendum will produce about $2 million in revenue for the program but Dr. Simmons has stated the football budget will be $1.5 million. So even it there isn't a single ticket sold, not a fan shows up to support the team it will be difficult to get in the situation which occurred in the 80's.

Plus, they really believe about 2,000 students will come to Lamar who would have made a different choice. This leads the administration to believe there could be an additional $12 million annually on the academic side of things.

Guest abovetherim

Honestly, Lamar needs to move now to secure pledges. I told you guys I would tell you about things I know about pledges but out of respect of Dr Simmons, Coach Tubbs and the administration I hope you guys will give me until after the TSUS gives their approval.

That said, I've been told they already have a (ballpark figure) on pledges and the figure I have a document of has a figure in the 8 digits.

So Kerry, my long answer to your question is no.

Guest coachacola

Bringing back football is not about making money.  Every school in the SLC that has a football team loses money.  Most schools across the country lose money, except for those in the BCS conferences.

This is about restoring school spirit that was lost when football was cut in 1989.  It's about restoring credibility with a lot of the alumni that have stopped supporting Lamar after football was cut.  This is about raising enrollment and increasing funding.  It's about changing the perception of Lamar around the state and country.

Look what the other schools in the SLC average per game in football:

McNeese State ......... 12,819

Texas State ............. 11,408

Sam Houston State .... 9627

SFA ......................... 8480

Those are not very good numbers but not ONE of them is thinking of dropping football.  Lamar will probably average somewhere in that range.  Who knows for sure.  But with $2M in student fees supporting a $1.5M budget (according to Billy Tubbs), football will not be a drain on the university.

Guest abovetherim

There will be plenty of locals. I know of several guys who plan to walk-on. Talked to one of them just before leaving school today. He is about 6-2, 230. I'm sure the future coach will have open tryouts for students already on campus. Heck, I'm fixing to call my brother as he has some eligibility left.  ;D

It's about changing the perception of Lamar around the state and country.

If we are looking to restoring football to change our perception, we are in pretty sad shape.....

Look folks, I am not against football, I am against doing it on the backs on the student body with an additional tuition "fee."

If we really want football, let those who want it, pay for it, not the kids, most of whom are working to put their way through college, or they are dependent upon Mom and Dad for tuition, many of which who are working to put their kids through school.

Guest abovetherim

If we are looking to restoring football to change our perception, we are in pretty sad shape.....

Look folks, I am not against football, I am against doing it on the backs on the student body with an additional tuition "fee."

If we really want football, let those who want it, pay for it, not the kids, most of whom are working to put their way through college, or they are dependent upon Mom and Dad for tuition, many of which who are working to put their kids through school.

I said the same thing about the library fee during registration. But, the fee was still there along with others when I paid the final bill. I think only the people who use the John Gray Library should pay the fee.  ::)

Oh, and I'm a husband, father, son, brother. I work full-time and I'm carrying 11 credit hours. So, I feel the pinch of attempting to manage my family's financial situation. However, unlike you my wife, my mother, my brother and sister, my son and daughters all said from me to vote for it. You see besides paying for school, we (my family) make donations every year to the Cardinal Club and we have season tickets to the men's basketball games. My family (immediate and extended) feel for Lamar University like a lot of people feel about Texas A&M or UT.

Come on KDOsullivan, give it a chance. That's all anyone is asking. You are entitled to your own opinion but at least give it a chance. If after a few seasons if it fails then you can say something about it but give it a chance now. You may see that it is a good thing for Lamar. I know the hiking up of the tuition is not too popular but all the student body, that is at least on campus, voted 79% to 21% to pay the higher tuition. Lets hope all the home work was done right and it will be a success. I hope the right coach applies and is hired for the job and we can enjoy Lamar football again. If good local high school football athletes ban together and play for Lamar I believe the team will be very competitive.

Come on KDOsullivan, give it a chance. That's all anyone is asking. You are entitled to your own opinion but at least give it a chance. If after a few seasons if it fails then you can say something about it but give it a chance now. You may see that it is a good thing for Lamar. I know the hiking up of the tuition is not too popular but all the student body, that is at least on campus, voted 79% to 21% to pay the higher tuition. Lets hope all the home work was done right and it will be a success. I hope the right coach applies and is hired for the job and we can enjoy Lamar football again. If good local high school football athletes ban together and play for Lamar I believe the team will be very competitive.

I know I am the minority here, and I know the University Board is going to approve football, but I spent hours in Cardinal Stadium, in the heat, the cold, the rain, heck, I remember sitting in a tropical storm for one game and there was no one there, NO ONE. I just see the money spent better someplace else on campus.

Aw heck, it is going to probably be academic for me anyway, I retire in two years and plan to move to the farm in Northeast Texas. The only time I will have any contact with the team will be if I read about it in the Mt Pleasant paper.....

Guest abovetherim

The announcement is on www.lamar.edu and www.lamarcardinals.com. Here is the later.

Lamar Students Approve Fee To Fund Football Program

Fee passes with 79 percent approval

Jan. 31, 2008

Lamar University officials announced Thursday the student body has approved a special fee that will assist in funding the return of the Lamar Cardinal football program. Lamar students went to the polls on Jan. 29 and 30 and voted on the fee that will put the university one step closer to realizing the dream of reviving the program that was discontinued in 1989. A majority of 79% for and 21% against was the final tally to approve the fee and overcome the first hurdle in the quest for football. The next step in the process is gaining approval of the Texas State University System Board of Regents.

"A football program on a university campus is a very important factor in enrollment management," said Brian Sattler, director of public relations for Lamar. "With the leadership of President Simmons, academic offerings have increased; new facilities such as the Sheila Umphrey Recreational Sports Center, Cardinal Village and the new dining hall have been constructed to enhance the campus learning and living environment, so it is a great time to work toward bringing college football back to the campus and Southeast Texas."

With the affirmation from the students in hand, President Simmons is poised to seek approval from the TSUS Board of Regents at a regularly scheduled meeting to be held on the Lamar University campus on February 22. Once approval from the Board is obtained, the LU Athletics Department will begin renovation of Cardinal Stadium and begin the search for a coach. Tentative plans have the Cardinals beginning Southland Conference play during the fall 2010 season.

Guest abovetherim

I know I am the minority here, and I know the University Board is going to approve football, but I spent hours in Cardinal Stadium, in the heat, the cold, the rain, heck, I remember sitting in a tropical storm for one game and there was no one there, NO ONE. I just see the money spent better someplace else on campus.

Aw heck, it is going to probably be academic for me anyway, I retire in two years and plan to move to the farm in Northeast Texas. The only time I will have any contact with the team will be if I read about it in the Mt Pleasant paper.....

Man, I wish I was as close to retirement. Congratulations!!!! With my three kids 14, 13 and 12. I'll be paying tuition for several years to come. Wonder where my children will be attending college?  ;D

Man, I wish I was as close to retirement. Congratulations!!!! With my three kids 14, 13 and 12. I'll be paying tuition for several years to come. Wonder where my children will be attending college?  ;D

I am guessing LU....I went there, as did my wife, mother, brother, kids....Good school..... ;)

Second on the point that Lamar is a very good school.

The education department prepared me to be (at least from what my students and parents tell me) a very good math teacher.

Mr. Zeek (the head athletic trainer) did more to shape me into a successful adult more than anybody else in my life.

I owe so much of my successes to the professors I had at Lamar.

My son is in 8th grade and is talking of being a trainer.  Would be AWEsome if he could maintain his grades and go through Lamar.  I think it might be the first father son combo to go through the LU training dept.

Anyone know who are the probable people on the coaching search and hiring committee.

This people will have a huge burden on their shoulders.

I hope they make a VERY VERY good decision.

Honestly, Lamar needs to move now to secure pledges. I told you guys I would tell you about things I know about pledges but out of respect of Dr Simmons, Coach Tubbs and the administration I hope you guys will give me until after the TSUS gives their approval.

That said, I've been told they already have a (ballpark figure) on pledges and the figure I have a document of has a figure in the 8 digits.

So Kerry, my long answer to your question is no.

Lets hope that it is a lot more than just barely 8 figures if you know what I mean.  Lets hope it is at least 2 times just barely 8 figures.

Guest abovetherim

No, it's not barely 8 figures. Really the figure is more than I thought possible but I really can't say more at this point. Plus, the document I have is from September. There may be even more now. I really don't have updated information regarding pledges.

Guest Demons Co-owner

I would like to nominate a few coaches to take the reins, Coach Hooks or Coach Thompson, who better to recruit local talent?

Coach Hooks.......come on man. You cant think of someone a little better. Perhaps a little younger that has the want and energy to rebuild a program from the ground up.

Guest Kelly Football

IF Coach Hooks was younger he would be the best choice if they go the HS Route. Coach Hooks is 2-3 years from retiring. Don't think their going to go the HS Route.

Oh puhlease...with a puuuuuuh.

We are talking less than $40 a month during school months , $9 a week, or $1.15 a day. How much is a big mac meal?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Ryzxed
    Newest Member
    Ryzxed